HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would the Bruins ever consider: Kelly-Bergeron-Peverley?

Old
02-28-2013, 10:37 AM
Schalkenullvier*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
But you also have 3 Bruin lines who can hurt you, and I`ll wager there isn`t a team out there who can stop 3 lines
that's true, although if they actually go out and get someone like Brière or Alfie, the X-Kelly-Pevs line could hurt other teams too,
especially if he get mismatches agaonst other teams' 3rd lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
It's a fair point, but the Bergeron line plays a lot against top lines now and it's actually the Krejci line that consistently gets the most even strength TOI- even in the playoffs. The difference between Bergeron's ES TOI as the so-called 2c and Kelly's ES TOI as the so-called 3c is only about :40 seconds a game.
good point

Schalkenullvier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:51 AM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

I think Seguin could be our number 1 center right now, but honestly, we've lost two games all season...why rock the boat?

I will say though, Seguin won't be a center on this team until Krejci leaves (if he does). Putting Bergeron/Krejci on the third line doesn't make sense in my opinion when we have Kelly/Peverley who are MORE than capable of playing third line center duties, I'd argue they are some of the more complete third liners in the league.

Bergy/Marchy/Lucic/Horton/Seguin/Krejci are all top six talents and have demonstrated success in a top six role. We also don't have any other top six forwards on this team...besides maybe Peverley who is more suited to third line duties.

Julien has a very "defense first" system, and Bergy and Krejci are elite/very good defensively. Seguin id call above average at this point, and hes definitely going to get better, but Seguin proved last year that he can be very effective as a 1st line winger, so again...why rock the boat?

Knock on wood, and I don't want this to happen, but if Krejci/Bergy have long-term injuries I put Seguin at center and never look back. Having Kelly/Peverley as a long term option at #2 center is not sustainable.

Tim Vezina Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:59 AM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Could swear I read something where Bergeron only went three years with the Bruins because of his limited offensive role (playing with less then ideal wingers)... He's not happy with being a "third line guy"...
I also seem to recall hearing something along those lines, as in, Bergeron signed with the understanding that his role would continue to expand offensively, and he would not be used as a strictly defensive player. At this point, I can't remember if he actually said that or if it was just a rumor, but nonetheless, his input on this whole thing is obviously important. While I do think a Kelly-Bergy-Pevs line would be great defensively, I also don't think they would be bad on offense by any means. I think that line would get its share of goals as well.

11MilesPerJohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:07 AM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg4167 View Post
I also seem to recall hearing something along those lines, as in, Bergeron signed with the understanding that his role would continue to expand offensively, and he would not be used as a strictly defensive player. At this point, I can't remember if he actually said that or if it was just a rumor, but nonetheless, his input on this whole thing is obviously important. While I do think a Kelly-Bergy-Pevs line would be great defensively, I also don't think they would be bad on offense by any means. I think that line would get its share of goals as well.
It was alleged by Hub at one point, but I believe Bergeron rebuked it publicly.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=840212

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:08 AM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg4167 View Post
I think if you put Kelly/Peverley higher than the third line you don't ice the best team.

Bergy is our best overall center and takes all the key faceoffs, do we want Kelly/Peverley on a line with him that much? Krejci would also suffer if you put two so so offensive talents with him, hes a facilitator first.

I honestly can't see Seguin playing center on this team if Krejci is still a Bruin...Seguin is a better wing than Krejci, Krejci is a better defensive center than Seguin, Julien needs defensive centers.
Moving one of Bergy/Krejci/Seguin to the 3rd line means one of Kelly/Peverley to the top six, REALLY do not think thats a good idea.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:10 AM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
It was alleged by Hub at one point, but I believe Bergeron rebuked it publicly.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=840212
That sounds more like him.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:11 AM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

People also seem to forget that our two best forward prospects are centers. Not saying we should keep Seguin on the wing because we have two unproven prospects coming, but its not like we should be in a rush to move him there.

We're also one of the best teams in the NHL, I say we stay the course as long as we're winning haha.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:12 AM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Bergeron is 2nd on the team in points,1st in assists, and his line is looking excellent. I'm not sure why we would change that.

VeddarRants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:19 AM
ThomasJ13

One concern might be having your 3 top face-off guys out on the same line, and part of the Bruins strength lies in being the best faceoff team in the league - by a considerable margin, too. Seguin was only at about 45-50% on faceoffs the last 2 years (he's only taken 13 draws this year), so he'd have to improve in that area. Not saying he couldn't, since he's young and still improving in most aspects of his game, but I can see it being something Julien would consider before making such a move.

ThomasJ13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:19 AM
Btown

I think we are over thinking these things.
All that is needed is someone to plug into the third line, be it Alfie, Iggy or and one else.
This gives us 3 solid lines and a little security if someone in our top 6 gos down.
The better that line plays the more ice time they get.
I Belive our defensive and fourth line woes can be filled from Providence, there both small issues. (Andy and Shawn)

Btown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:21 AM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Vezina Thomas View Post
I think if you put Kelly/Peverley higher than the third line you don't ice the best team.

Bergy is our best overall center and takes all the key faceoffs, do we want Kelly/Peverley on a line with him that much? Krejci would also suffer if you put two so so offensive talents with him, hes a facilitator first.

I honestly can't see Seguin playing center on this team if Krejci is still a Bruin...Seguin is a better wing than Krejci, Krejci is a better defensive center than Seguin, Julien needs defensive centers.
Moving one of Bergy/Krejci/Seguin to the 3rd line means one of Kelly/Peverley to the top six, REALLY do not think thats a good idea.
I don't completely disagree with some of your points.

But here are your options IF you acquire a top 6 player, and we can debate which one is better for the team:

Option 1

Line 1: Lucic-Krejci-Horton
Line 2: Marchand-Seguin-Player X
Line 3: Kelly-Bergy-Pevs
Line 4: Merlot

Option 2

Line 1: Lucic-Krejci-Horton
Line 2: Marchand-Bergeron-Seguin
Line 3: Player X-Kelly-Pevs
Line 4: Merlot

Obviously, it depends on who the player is, and there are other options, but I just think the main benefits you have in option 1 are, A. Strength down the middle and Seguin playing his natural offensive position, B. Two dynamic offensive lines and one great shut down line/good offensive line, C. The "top 6" player you acquired is actually playing in the top 6.

Who is better suited for playing that kind of role, Bergeron (Selke award winner) or Player X (Alfie, Iginla, Briere/insert your favorite option here)?

And I am giving full credit to Bergeron here because I think with him centering that line, Kelly and Pevs become better players. I think it allows everyone to play to their strengths and makes our team better.

But it's not like I'm hating option 2 either.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:23 AM
bp13

Bill I'm of the following mind:

1. Bergeron's line is clicking and see no reason to change it.
2. Seguin doesn't deserve any kind of a "promotion" based on his play this season. And I don't want to get carried away with his recent defensive performances and claim he's ready for the 2nd line center role.
3. You're moving a quality centermen, Kelly, to wing in order to supplant him at center with a lesser centerman, Seguin. I realize their mates and ice time is different, but nevertheless you've weakened the center position for the benefit of improving the wing position by the difference between Bourque and the "new player". That better be one hell of a new player considering how important the center position is, particularly for this team.

Lastly, I'm hopeful we don't need such a move because I don't think this team's needs are up front, but rather on D. I think PC's biggest acquisition should be a top 4 dman with some skill to help the PP. Acquiring such a player, I assume, precludes the possibility of acquiring a forward that would necessitate us juggling lines like this.

bp13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:24 AM
Lobster57

Just roll

Lucic/Krejci/Seguin
Marchand/Bergeron/Horton
Bourque/Kelly/Peverly
Merlot

sub in the new guy for either Horton or Bourque, and shuffle the 4th to suit.

Lobster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:25 AM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp13 View Post
Bill I'm of the following mind:

1. Bergeron's line is clicking and see no reason to change it.
2. Seguin doesn't deserve any kind of a "promotion" based on his play this season. And I don't want to get carried away with his recent defensive performances and claim he's ready for the 2nd line center role.
3. You're moving a quality centermen, Kelly, to wing in order to supplant him at center with a lesser centerman, Seguin. I realize their mates and ice time is different, but nevertheless you've weakened the center position for the benefit of improving the wing position by the difference between Bourque and the "new player". That better be one hell of a new player considering how important the center position is, particularly for this team.

Lastly, I'm hopeful we don't need such a move because I don't think this team's needs are up front, but rather on D. I think PC's biggest acquisition should be a top 4 dman with some skill to help the PP. Acquiring such a player, I assume, precludes the possibility of acquiring a forward that would necessitate us juggling lines like this.
These are all good points, and you have swayed me a bit...Oh, I don't know what to think anymore! I just want them to get another good player, and wherever he slots into the line-up, so bit it!

Old
02-28-2013, 11:31 AM
agreen23

If we get a top 6 guy with some finish and some grit I would stick him on the second line with Marchy and Bergy. That line would be dominant in the cycle game just like the 1st line is. Playing against two lines who can control the puck so well would really take its toll in a 7 game series.

I would drop Segs down to center Kelly and Pevs. He would be protected by having 2 good defensive players who can also take key draws. Segs would be matched against inferior opponents and would have a lot of space in the middle of the ice to skate and make plays.

Segs has the ability to make people around him much, much better. I think this could really spark the third line offensively without compromising its defensive abilities

LKH
Marchy-Bergy- New Guy
Kelly-Segs-Pevs

agreen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:33 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
I like the idea.

Too many times Seguin was on the bench because of Bergerons checking role. Is that where you want your top scorer playing?

Morris Wanchuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:37 AM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
That line (Kelly/Peverley/+) wasn't a black hole offensively with Ryder, Rolston or even Pouliot.

Peverley scored at a 61 point pace last year. Kelly had 20 goals. I'd think they could be even better with a player like Bergeron driving the bus.
I agree. I think it is a good idea.

Lots of people would see it as a demotion for Bergeron. Even Patrice himself might.

MarshmontMcSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:41 AM
KrejciMVP

I like the team the way it is now. Just fix the 3rd line to improve their offensive production.

KrejciMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:45 AM
Alicat
Charge!

Seguin will never play Center under Claude Julien. He isn't sound enough defensively and he lacks the ability to truly muck it up in the corners and take the body. All 3 are essential to play Center on this team.

I am Boston Strong

Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:45 AM
chsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobster57 View Post
Just roll

Lucic/Krejci/Seguin
Marchand/Bergeron/Horton
Bourque/Kelly/Peverly
Merlot

sub in the new guy for either Horton or Bourque, and shuffle the 4th to suit.
The Bruins do not need to TRADE FOR A TOP-6 guy.....move Paille with Kelly/Peverley and get MacDermid or Caron on the 4th line with Campbell and Thornton.

Horton-Krejci-Lucic
Marchand-Bergeron-Seguin
Paille-Kelly-Peverley
Caron/MacDermid-Campbell-Thornton.

That is good untill the deadline when you go after the big missning part....a 3rd line winger a la Ryder.....

No use spending tons of assets on a Iginla.

chsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:47 AM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

There are some really cogent points being made on both sides of this debate.

Ultimately, if/when we acquire a new player, Claude is going to have to feel it out on the ice in practice and in games.

He may go with the top two lines that have gotten us to 12-2-2, but he also may shake it up a bit if the team needs it. He also might like the way a Kelly-Bergy-Pevs line matches up with certain teams. The point is, I think it will be nice that Claude has the options. There is no telling how a new player will fit into this team, and who that player will develop chemistry with, but I think the right addition could give our coaching staff a ton of flexibility with line combos.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:48 AM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
I like the idea.

Too many times Seguin was on the bench because of Bergerons checking role. Is that where you want your top scorer playing?
I'm not sure I follow this Morris... If you need Bergeron on the ice for checking purposes, wouldn't Seguin still be on the bench?

bp13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:50 AM
Scotto74
First in line...

while I think the lineup would be good I have a few possible issues with this.

1. It would 100% depend on who the new guy is. If it is a guy like Birere then I would be nervous to do it. A line of Birere, seguin and marchand while fast and skilled is small and I would be nervous about their D game. It might be worth a short term shot though (issue #5 comes into play here). That line might spend all of their time in the offensive zone.

2. right now the chemestry on the Bergy line is unreal. Marchand is on fire scoring wise. "If it aint broke"

3. as others have said Ice Time - while I am not over concerend about this I would not want that 3rd line eating up a ton of mins. If CJ rolls the 4 lines like he usually does it might not be an issue.

4. Back to the if it aint broke. The bruins are winning right now not sure I would change much in the top 6.

5. the short season. If this was 82 games I would say no problem try it out for 5-10 games see if they click. With the short season and the Hab's playing so well I am not sure I would risk a change when everything is going so well right now.

Overall great Idea and something I would think about if the boys start to cool off or depending on the new guy and when/if he comes in. The way CJ rolls 4 lines in the playoffs would play right into this concept and make it very very hard for other teams so stop the Bruins.

BOSTON STRONG!!!
Scotto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:50 AM
Pie O My

if Bergy were ever lined up with Kelly and Pevs, it's not a demotion for Bergy, it's a promotion for Kelley and Pevs.

Pie O My is offline   Reply With Quote