HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

2012-13 Colorado Avalanche Prospects Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2013, 12:59 AM
Foppa2118

vCash: 50
The Blades are having a pretty good season, though they appear to be in a weaker division. Even still with some playoff games, and the guaranteed Memorial Cup games, this could be big for Siemens' development.

Finding ways to do the little things in clutch situations that help you win will be huge for a player in the mold of that defensive/two way guy like Duncan. I hope they find a way to make a good run at it, and surprise some people.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:28 AM
Colorado Avalanche

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Siemens and the Blades have now won 14 straight games, setting a new franchise record.
wow on a roll.

Old
02-23-2013, 01:37 PM
GamingGiant

Quote:
Siemens and the Blades have now won 14 straight games, setting a new franchise record.
Congratulations to the Blades. That's impressive.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:21 PM
finds71

Don't know if you guys heard about it, or if has even been mentionned here, but there is a TV mini-serie following the Sask blades called `On the Edge`
Here is a link: http://video.citytv.com/video/show/o...ia/4294964135/

Old
02-26-2013, 07:48 PM
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala

vCash: 3333
Quote:
Originally Posted by finds71 View Post
Don't know if you guys heard about it, or if has even been mentionned here, but there is a TV mini-serie following the Sask blades called `On the Edge`
Yeah, I would highly recommend the series. It's been fantastic to be a part of.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:57 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by finds71 View Post
It's only available for Canadian viewers right? I've been trying to watch it with that stealthy add on but it slows my connection down too much.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:18 PM
Bubba Thudd
Come At Me, Bro!

Quote:
Yeah, I would highly recommend the series. It's been fantastic to be a part of.
Do you appear in it?

Old
02-26-2013, 09:32 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Anyone have a good scouting report on Paul Carey? Just read on twitter that he's now on an 8 game points streak(5G, 5A) with LEM right now, and has 31 points in 54 games on the season as a rookie.

Already 24 so its hard to tell if theres much more room to grow, but he has the size to play in the NHL(6"1, 190) and seems to have found his game in the AHL.

Does he still have NHL upside or is he a lifetime AHLer?

Old
02-26-2013, 09:41 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
Anyone have a good scouting report on Paul Carey? Just read on twitter that he's now on an 8 game points streak(5G, 5A) with LEM right now, and has 31 points in 54 games on the season as a rookie.

Already 24 so its hard to tell if theres much more room to grow, but he has the size to play in the NHL(6"1, 190) and seems to have found his game in the AHL.

Does he still have NHL upside or is he a lifetime AHLer?
It really depends on Carey. He has some skill and over the years he has added some grit. The big knocks on him over the years has been his defensive play, inconsistency, and his drive to go into the dirty areas has left much to be desired. Now some of that seems to have changed over the past 2 seasons. I don't ever see him making the NHL long term, but if he does he will be a bottom 6 LW that might chip in a goal here and there but always leave you wanting more from his game.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:36 PM
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
Do you appear in it?
I was in a few shots in the 1st episode and my voice was on that episode as well. Haven't been on it since then, though.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:37 PM
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala

Siemens +2, with an assist and 2 PIMs tonight.

That gives him 100 career assists and also means he's +38 in his past 35 games.

Oh yeah, and the Blades have now won 16-straight games.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:23 AM
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala

Duncan appears in career WHL game #250 tonight in Calgary.

Last night he also reached 400 career PIMs to go along with his 100th career assist. He's a +98 so far in his 249 career regular season games. Not many players can say they were over +100 in their junior career.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:09 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Siemens +2, with an assist and 2 PIMs tonight.

That gives him 100 career assists and also means he's +38 in his past 35 games.

Oh yeah, and the Blades have now won 16-straight games.
Hahaha, you sound so happy.

Old
02-27-2013, 04:28 PM
bohlmeister
Horny for Offense!

vCash: 400
I am going to the Blades game tonight in Calgary. I'll post my observations later.

Old
02-27-2013, 04:32 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
I am going to the Blades game tonight in Calgary. I'll post my observations later.
Cool! I won't be able to watch any WHL games tonight so check out Chase (great playmaker) for the Hitmen as well and see if he is a solid 2nd or 3rd selection.

Old
02-27-2013, 07:54 PM
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala

Quote:
Enjoy! I'm tuning in online.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:46 PM
bohlmeister
Horny for Offense!

Siemens played decent tonight. He didn't stand out other than his speed. His footspeed is amazing for a guy his size. He has a good stick, and is good at shutting down chances off the rush. He definitely has some hard nosed mentalities at times, but doesn't overdo it. Good first pass, most of the time he passed it off to his partner, and his partner started the transition. Siemens didn't seem to get much icetime. They played him exclusively against the Sylvester line and Calgary rolled through their line up pretty evenly. I bet Rask's line got more icetime than Sylvester's tonight. He didn't get any PP time. The Blades have decent puck movers but I would put him out for his shot.

2 memorable plays. He made an awful decision to rush before the puck left the zone and the puck was turned over. Was fortunate that Calgary didn't score there. In the last minutes of the game he gave a Calgary forward a 2 handed slash in the back of the leg. Didn't get a penalty, Calgary player fell down to the ice.

I have heard Seabrook as a comparable. Probably not a bad comparison. If I had to pick a player I would say Keaton Ellerby for a comparable.

Old
02-28-2013, 09:12 AM
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala

Quote:
Siemens played decent tonight. He didn't stand out other than his speed. His footspeed is amazing for a guy his size. He has a good stick, and is good at shutting down chances off the rush. He definitely has some hard nosed mentalities at times, but doesn't overdo it. Good first pass, most of the time he passed it off to his partner, and his partner started the transition. Siemens didn't seem to get much icetime. They played him exclusively against the Sylvester line and Calgary rolled through their line up pretty evenly. I bet Rask's line got more icetime than Sylvester's tonight. He didn't get any PP time. The Blades have decent puck movers but I would put him out for his shot.

2 memorable plays. He made an awful decision to rush before the puck left the zone and the puck was turned over. Was fortunate that Calgary didn't score there. In the last minutes of the game he gave a Calgary forward a 2 handed slash in the back of the leg. Didn't get a penalty, Calgary player fell down to the ice.

I have heard Seabrook as a comparable. Probably not a bad comparison. If I had to pick a player I would say Keaton Ellerby for a comparable.
That's a scary comparable just because I think Ellerby has the worst hockey sense of any NHL defender currently in the league. Always making the wrong decision with the puck and putting his body in the wrong positions and taking penalties because of it.

I still think a better skating Barret Jackman is the best example.

Overall, last night's game was the worst the team has played defensively since Christmas. The team as a whole had 4-5 horrendous turnovers and was very careless in their d-zone coverage.

Siemens was right there with them, although I would disagree about the part of him not playing many minutes. The team essentially has two pairings, with the pairing of Pufahl-Gwinner (or Nogier) not seeing much ice every game. Siemens was probably around 23-25 minutes last night, which is a pretty decent amoung.

Old
02-28-2013, 09:16 AM
Avs71

Quote:
How is Seabrook not a bad comparison, but Ellerby is closer? I mean this in the sense that one is a great hockey player, and the other was given away by the team that drafted him.

Old
02-28-2013, 10:23 AM
bohlmeister
Horny for Offense!

Quote:
That's a scary comparable just because I think Ellerby has the worst hockey sense of any NHL defender currently in the league. Always making the wrong decision with the puck and putting his body in the wrong positions and taking penalties because of it.

I still think a better skating Barret Jackman is the best example.

Overall, last night's game was the worst the team has played defensively since Christmas. The team as a whole had 4-5 horrendous turnovers and was very careless in their d-zone coverage.

Siemens was right there with them, although I would disagree about the part of him not playing many minutes. The team essentially has two pairings, with the pairing of Pufahl-Gwinner (or Nogier) not seeing much ice every game. Siemens was probably around 23-25 minutes last night, which is a pretty decent amoung.
Does the WHL post TOI? I would be surprised if Siemens played 25 minutes, and not it a good way.

Keep in mind that I watched last nights game in a vacuum. That was basically the only time I ever watched Siemens play.

I expected Siemens to dominate the game more than he did. He wasn't very assertive last night, he was much more passive than I was expecting. Ellerby was a good junior player, who played a very similar style to Siemens IMO. Barrett Jackman was a dominating player in junior. He imposed his game on other players, I didn't see that from Siemens.

The next step is a huge one. I am not a scout, nor do I pretend to know how a player is going to play at the next level. Obviously Ellerby has not been able to adapt to making quicker plays. And my comparison wasn't based on that. It was strictly based on playing style.

Old
02-28-2013, 10:25 AM
bohlmeister
Horny for Offense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs71 View Post
How is Seabrook not a bad comparison, but Ellerby is closer? I mean this in the sense that one is a great hockey player, and the other was given away by the team that drafted him.
I wasn't comparing the ceilings, only playing styles.

Old
02-28-2013, 10:33 AM
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala

Quote:
Does the WHL post TOI? I would be surprised if Siemens played 25 minutes, and not it a good way.

Keep in mind that I watched last nights game in a vacuum. That was basically the only time I ever watched Siemens play.

I expected Siemens to dominate the game more than he did. He wasn't very assertive last night, he was much more passive than I was expecting. Ellerby was a good junior player, who played a very similar style to Siemens IMO. Barrett Jackman was a dominating player in junior. He imposed his game on other players, I didn't see that from Siemens.

The next step is a huge one. I am not a scout, nor do I pretend to know how a player is going to play at the next level. Obviously Ellerby has not been able to adapt to making quicker plays. And my comparison wasn't based on that. It was strictly based on playing style.
No, the WHL doesn't post TOI. Keep in mind the Blades also played on Tuesday night in Red Deer.

Two years ago Siemens was the type of guy that spent a lot of time running around and trying to impose his will on others. This often left him out of position in his own zone.

He's really grown and matured to the point where he picks his spots better and doesn't leave himself out of position like he used to. Now, he relies much more on his positioning and stick work as opposed to his physical play. I just hope he carries that to the next level with him because he sometimes gets the urge to do too much and it really can expose him. I know he's the kind of guy that will also try and make a big impression at camp next year...I just pray he keeps it simple because that's when he's most effective.

As for your viewing of him last night, I guess when you go into a game expecting the player to "dominate" you are setting yourself up for disappointment 95% of the time.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:00 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

I don't think you can judge a player like him based on one game, because he is far from Ellerby, his game style reminds me of Coburn more than Ellerby.

Lucky enough for me each Saskatoon game I watch, he plays a great game.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:06 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

As soon as I read that Ellerby comparison, I did this...

Old
02-28-2013, 11:13 AM
Bubba Thudd
Come At Me, Bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
As soon as I read that Ellerby comparison, I did this...

I did that today, too, but for a completely different reason.