HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Tips on Preventing Wear on Palms of Gloves?

Old
02-28-2013, 11:05 AM
Frankie Spankie

vCash: 500
Tips on Preventing Wear on Palms of Gloves?

I just bought my first nice pair of gloves, I kept going cheap with them but this time went with a Bauer Vapor X7.0. I'm aware that there are plenty of better gloves out there and these might not be great in comparison but they're probably going to be one of the best pairs I get.

I'm also aware that no matter what I do, the palms will wear out, but is there any tips on things to do to help prevent the wear on them? I was told that using something other than cloth tape for the handle of the stick helps. The person that told me that uses duct tape, which I have been using since. Not sure if it makes a difference as the palm of that glove was already worn out pretty badly.

Is there anything else I can do to try and make the gloves last longer?

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:15 AM
7toZulu

I started using the Tacki mack command grips for this very reason. Regular cloth tape with ribs was chewing through my gloves, and now my new pair is showing barely any wear after more than 6 months. They are like 5 bucks and come in a variety of colors and sizes.

7toZulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:22 PM
n3gkiwi

If you don't like the tacki mac grips, you can always try sports/athletic tape. It's apparently easier on your gloves but I don't know exactly what it looks like. I plan on trying some as well as I find the tacki mac ones too thick (even the sand one).

n3gkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:28 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Tacki Mac is supposed to help a lot but I don't like the shapes.

I use powerflex tape...dunno if it helps but my palms don't wear much.

Also clarino seems to last a lot longer than most leather palms I've used.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:30 PM
n3gkiwi

Anyone know where I can get sports or gauze like tape that would reduce wear on my gloves up in Canada? I can only seem to find athletic tape, not sure if it's the same. Basically stuff like this:

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_trksi...at=0&_from=R40

Old
02-28-2013, 12:33 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Gauze tape like powerflex tape? They should sell that at any hockey shop. I guess you could buy medical gauze tape at a pharmacy but they aren't stretchy like flex tape is.

Old
02-28-2013, 12:42 PM
jsykes

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3gkiwi View Post
Anyone know where I can get sports or gauze like tape that would reduce wear on my gloves up in Canada? I can only seem to find athletic tape, not sure if it's the same. Basically stuff like this:

http://howieshockeytape.com/store/ho...tchy-grip-tape

They'll ship to Canada. We sell this in my store and it is pretty nice. Just be warned the colors may stain your palms, I've seen it most with the red. Black and white dont seem to be issues though and it holds up pretty well.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:48 PM
n3gkiwi

I've tried powerflex tape but it left a sticky residue. I felt it was just as bad as regular hockey tape. Might try out that howies tape if I can find it (rather not buy a whole box of it).

Old
02-28-2013, 01:04 PM
jsykes

PM me if you want to try a roll or two. I'll take care of you through my store.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 03:04 PM
bojaffa

I recently started using electricians rubber splicing tape..It has a nice feel to it and doesn't tear up my gloves.I use regular hockey tape to make the knob and some ribs.Then go over that with one layer of the rubber tape.So far so good.

bojaffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 03:35 PM
TUCKER 06

I've tried:

White Tape: Left gunky residue if not replaced every so often. Palm still wears out

Tacky Grip Tape: Gets gunky and gross real easily. Not a lot on a roll and if replaced often, will go through a lot of it.

Clear Shin Pad Tape: Perfect. I just put enough of a roll on the end of my stick that I get the knob as large as I want it and since all my sticks have grip on them I don't even need any other tape up there.

I find that the clear shin pad tape prolongs the life of the palm of your glove immensely because the plastic of the shin pad tape just ends up smoothing out the leather in that palm area instead of wearing it away.

TUCKER 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 03:50 PM
snizzbone
Give me the puck ;-)

snizzbone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 07:18 PM
jaysoneil

Came across this site http://www.thepalmsaver.com/home

Anyone tried this before? For $12 and free shipping, might not be a bad idea.

I always used shaving cream with lanolin in it.

jaysoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 09:16 PM
n3gkiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysoneil View Post

Maybe for low end gloves, but for higher end ones doesn't make sense to ruin the palm/feel.

Old
02-28-2013, 09:47 PM
Chris43

Wrap the butt of your stick once with sock tape after you tape it normally. Cheap and easy.

Chris43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:15 PM
snizzbone
Give me the puck ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris43 View Post
Wrap the butt of your stick once with sock tape after you tape it normally. Cheap and easy.
I did this the other day to keep my butt end from coming out and couldn't hold onto my stick properly due to no grip. May work for some people but didn't for me.

snizzbone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 12:04 AM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysoneil View Post

I tried something like that on my old pair, maybe not that exact brand, and they suck. The glue doesn't hold very well with the sweat from your hands and will fall off after a month or two. Was a waste of money for me.

Thanks for some of the tips though, I'll try them out for sure.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 12:57 AM
IDuck

i say this all the time....not only can i save your palms but give you a damn good feel for a handle....go to a sports store and get tennis raquet over wrap, its the really thin kind, and comes in just about any color you want...i use to go through a pair of gloves about twice a year but got pissed and bought some of the cheapest gloves ever ($20.00)....they are on there 2nd year and the palm (although you can tell they have been used) look brand new...grips are like $5, they come with 3 and 1 roll will give you 2 wraps (total of 6)..my handles last me about 10 games or so....do it and you will never regret it, i tried tacki-macks and hated them because i thought they felt to "thick"....let me know

IDuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 01:31 AM
Hank4Hart

from what i know, white tape is less abrasive on the gloves than black tape are. its some sort of chemical thing in the sticky residue that does this.

i dont have a source for it, but i can tell you my blocker palm lasted a lot longer when i switched to white tape

Hank4Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 08:59 AM
sanityplease

I only tape a ball on the end of the stick.

sanityplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 12:05 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm pretty sure what causes the wear on the palm is the friction of the tape rubbing against the palm.

Regular tape has a mild sandpaper-like texture. It's not grippy enough to prevent the stick from twisting in the palm, so it rubs against the palm and eats away until there's a hole.

Tacki Mac seems to help because it's got a lot more grip (especially when wet) and doesn't spin in the palm.

Gauze tape is similar, the design makes it grippier than regular tape.

I suppose shin tape would also work like that, but it wouldn't be grippy at all. The surface is smooth so there's no friction

Old
03-01-2013, 03:11 PM
n3gkiwi

Anyone know what the thinnest Tacki Mac grip is? Is it Sand or the Wrapped version? I tried the sand one, and found it too thick.

Old
03-01-2013, 03:41 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Wrapped I believe is the thinnest.

Old
03-01-2013, 03:44 PM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3gkiwi View Post

This is what I use. There's no reason I would use anything else as long as it's still around. You don't get the gunky residue like you do from tape, no palm discoloration if you use white and it's a LOT easier on the palms. Plus it's grippy as hell, you're always in control. I used regular white stick tape on my first pair of Bauer 4-Rolls and they became a dark nasty color with a big hole on my top hand. I got a new pair of Bauer 4-Rolls and only used the white gauze tape so far. They're still clean and hardly any wear on the top hand.

The Tacki-macs are nice and grippy but they were too thick for me and the rubber dampened the feel of the stick way too much for me.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 02:58 AM
r3cc0s

honestly

i've tried a number of things, but I've gone through my fair share of gloves growing up...

the oldschool CCM lace ups I had, with real cowhide leather would almost never wear through, but they also had virtually no feel

I've tried all sorts since, nash, digital, clarino, kangaroo and they all wear

regardless of white tape, tacki mac, etc...

its the hockey grip, holding with the palm the upper bottom corner of the stick with the 2 bottom finger grip causes the wear

I have noticed if I "sand" the corner down a little bit before taping, it is less agressive and subsiquently "i belive" less abrasive

but at the end of the day, new gloves, repalming, or like alot of people, living with it, is what you have to do

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote