HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Game 20 | Detroit Red Wings @ Los Angeles Kings | 10:00 PM EST | FS-D, NBCSN, TSN2

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2013, 08:42 AM
Winger98
powers combined

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ari13 View Post
Positive
No player other than Ericsson were real bad.
We were good at 3 on 5 or should I say we were not so bad.
Team defence was not bad
Howard was fine, a bit leaky on their 1st goal
Negative
We lost the special units battle again. Will this improve?
We did not score goals, one flukey goal will not win many games
Forechecking was not good and we struggled with their forecheck
Where was Z? Did not notice him.
Our PP sucks
That first batch of 5-on-3s killed our momentum, and we never got it back. Until then, I thought the Wings were carrying the play pretty well. After that, the Kings started rolling and we couldn't quite get it going again.

02-28-2013, 09:10 AM
TheOtherOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fading Captain View Post
3) Who the hell makes an iffy call for a 5-on-3?
That's one of the keys I was wondering. When we're on a powerplay it always seems like the other team gets away with a ton of borderline stuff. Which is what I'd expect and don't have a problem with. But then we're on the PK and we get called for every little chintzy possible-infraction they could possibly pull out of their *****.

Old
02-28-2013, 10:05 AM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

Red Wings feel they were burned by the officials after being clipped and blindsided by the Kings

It takes a really bad performance by the zebras to get the Wings to even notice them, and they usually brush it off and say the routine "We didn't play well enough." When Pavel Datsyuk chooses to grace us with rare words, and uses that time to question the officiating, that takes a special kind of epic failure. I know people frown upon blaming the refs, but it was a weak and questionable call that put us on our 3rd 5-3 PK, which led to the tying goal (chances are, we kill the penalty on a 5-4, considering the Kings weren't having any success on the PP last night). It was a terrible non-call that prevented the Kings from being pinned in their own end during the time they got the go ahead goal.

Old
02-28-2013, 10:08 AM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Officiating didn't lose them the game.

Letting Anze Kopitar walk up to the net is what lost them the game.

Old
02-28-2013, 10:09 AM
Harnessed in Slums

The officiating was questionable but I'm not going to get too worked up over this loss. We've been competitive against good teams lately which is a good sign. Jimmy had a .931 SV% which is where he needs to be. We controlled play early and then the Kings took over, I don't know if it was due to the time difference since the Wings should have been well rested.

Old
02-28-2013, 10:30 AM
Marky9er

Yeah the wings played well but didn't cash in their numerous opportunities, they were lucky they got the one they did. It's a shame because LA looked pretty bad most of the way.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:00 AM
RedMenace
Zero ***** Given

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtones520 View Post
Why the hell is that a penalty?

I'm complaining about the actual rule itself, not the enforcement of it. How soft the NHL has become when playing a face off with your hand is a penalty.
I agree completely. At the most, they should move the face-off into the offending team's zone, and if it's already there, well, kick the guy out; if the second guy does it, THEN call it a penalty.

As much as it pains me to say, Quincey was pretty good; that goal was flukey as hell, but hey, it counts. Cleary was pretty solid, too. Nobody was really bad... well, I take that back: Franzen was bad. Dude was floating 90% of the time, and the one time he did something good it went off the post. Ericsson had that cluster of turnovers, but otherwise wasn't awful. Emmertoo bringing the pain train was hilarious. Datsyuk had a rough one, but other than the penalties and the missed clearing attempt, he wasn't bad.

Last edited by RedMenace: 02-28-2013 at 11:10 AM.
Old
02-28-2013, 11:11 AM
THW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Poppa Puck View Post
We dominated the game but couldn't score more than once and it was a fluke goal. :

Lashoff got caught daydreaming on Kopitar's GW. I was screaming at my TV.
Wha? Big Rig had a guy pinned to the boards when Kronner blew his assignment and let Kopitar walk in against Emmerton.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:41 AM
TheOtherOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post

Anze Kopitar scored less than 2 minutes after a King knocked Smith down almost giving him a concussion about 100 feet away from the puck. Which was deemed legal. Somehow.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:44 AM
Jurky
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherOne View Post
Anze Kopitar scored less than 2 minutes after a King knocked Smith down almost giving him a concussion about 100 feet away from the puck. Which was deemed legal. Somehow.
Ya that play never happens if the refs pulled their heads out of their ***** and called interference on Penner.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:48 AM
TheOtherOne

Quote:
Said Howard: “He sort of came from my blind side, so I don't know exactly how he got so wide open. I yelled for someone to pick him up and then realized there was absolutely no one around him. He had all the time in the world and he made us pay.''
Just wondering... what do you think would happen if the second Jimmy saw Kopitar receive the pass with no defense around him, Jimmy pushed out and basically slide tackled the guy as if he were a soccer goalie?

I imagine it would probably be a tripping call or something. But is it even realistic? Can you push out fast enough with goalie skates, and is it reasonable to expect to bury the puck in your pads if you do it quick enough to catch him off guard?

Just a thought.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:52 AM
icKx
What now?

Cleary needs to shut up. The hit was shoulder-to-shoulder and he got cut by his visor.

Smith, on the other hand, has a right to be pissed.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:55 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Quote:
Just wondering... what do you think would happen if the second Jimmy saw Kopitar receive the pass with no defense around him, Jimmy pushed out and basically slide tackled the guy as if he were a soccer goalie?

I imagine it would probably be a tripping call or something. But is it even realistic? Can you push out fast enough with goalie skates, and is it reasonable to expect to bury the puck in your pads if you do it quick enough to catch him off guard?

Just a thought.
Didn't Thomas do something similar to a Sedin? And then there was Hasek sending a guy head over heels....hehe...

Old
02-28-2013, 12:01 PM
icKx
What now?

Old
02-28-2013, 12:01 PM
fimoknete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky9er View Post
Yeah the wings played well but didn't cash in their numerous opportunities, they were lucky they got the one they did. It's a shame because LA looked pretty bad most of the way.
this.

L.A. was more busy with recovering from overskating the puck, loose the puck during stickhandling etc.
they couldnt get nothing forward in the first 2 periods. their 5-3 pp was harmless and looked like a beer league pp.
actually the wings should have scored 4 or 5 already during the first 2 periods.
bad refs have nothing to do with that.

Old
02-28-2013, 04:07 PM
Brick Top
eeeehhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post

Yeah, the officials weren't stopping the Wings from scoring on the PP. Gotta take advantage of your chances and the Wings didn't. If Wings fans listen to Ken Daniels call a game and hear him hyperventilate over alleged infractions by the opposition (which seem to happen every shift by his calls), then I get why they feel the refs cost us the game last night.

The Penner hit on Smith should have been called, but I was okay with the others. The hit on Cleary seemed okay to me (not the suspendable offense that Daniels thought it was), and Pavel's faceoff hand pass seemed to violate the new rule. Can't make that play if you're him in that spot.

Road PP failures and Emmerton slew footing E on Kopitar's goal (thought the same thing when I saw it, sarcastro ) killed the Wings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
Didn't Thomas do something similar to a Sedin? And then there was Hasek sending a guy head over heels....hehe...
The Thomas hit on Sedin was probably one of the top 10 most satisfying checks I've seen thrown. That was fantastic!

Old
02-28-2013, 04:33 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by icKx View Post
Cleary needs to shut up. The hit was shoulder-to-shoulder and he got cut by his visor.

Cleary looked like an idiot crying on the bench.
The Smith hit was weird.
It didn't look like Penner meant it. But guys know how to make things look like an accident.
On the other hand, Smith looked like he was faking that.

Old
02-28-2013, 04:57 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by icKx View Post
Only thing I can think is that Cleary truly believed it was a stick or elbow that got him, and not his visor. He looked genuinely pissed, though maybe he was just that frustrated that he thought he could guilt the ref. Either way, it looks bad. He either has poor SA or is just whining.

Quote:
Playing the game as long as I have, I'm convinced it was an outright cheapshot, with Penner possibly even knowing about Smith's shoulder. Penner knew where he was on the ice, knew where Smith was, and there was no traffic. Penner may not be the brightest, but I doubt he's stupid enough for that to be an accident.

Old
02-28-2013, 05:13 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
Playing the game as long as I have, I'm convinced it was an outright cheapshot, with Penner possibly even knowing about Smith's shoulder. Penner knew where he was on the ice, knew where Smith was, and there was no traffic. Penner may not be the brightest, but I doubt he's stupid enough for that to be an accident.
Didn't Penner hurt himself flipping pancakes? I'm not sure I'd underestimate his stupidity...or maybe it's the size of his pancakes we shouldn't underestimate...hmmm...

Old
02-28-2013, 08:41 PM
TheOtherOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fading Captain View Post
Cleary looked like an idiot crying on the bench.
The Smith hit was weird.
It didn't look like Penner meant it. But guys know how to make things look like an accident.
On the other hand, Smith looked like he was faking that.
Smith lying on the ice for a little too long might have been faking it.

What was the point of Smith going to the dressing room to get his head checked out afterwards? To guilt the refs into making a retroactive call? To get the fans on his side? To save face and keep up the charade?

lol.

Old
02-28-2013, 09:21 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
Quote:
Smith lying on the ice for a little too long might have been faking it.

What was the point of Smith going to the dressing room to get his head checked out afterwards? To guilt the refs into making a retroactive call? To get the fans on his side? To save face and keep up the charade?

lol.
To make sure he didn't re-injure his shoulder?

Old
02-28-2013, 09:22 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
Only thing I can think is that Cleary truly believed it was a stick or elbow that got him, and not his visor. He looked genuinely pissed, though maybe he was just that frustrated that he thought he could guilt the ref. Either way, it looks bad. He either has poor SA or is just whining.

I won't say that with certainty, but I can see it. Penner sold it well if it was intentional.
Early in the third Smith came over the head with a two-handed slash on the stick and pissed somebody off. Later that shift, someone took a run at Smith

Old
02-28-2013, 11:01 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
There's another game on as we speak and this thread is almost to the limit anyway.

Closed Thread