HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

The 2013 Draft Thread: Not Winnin' For #(??)...

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2013, 09:11 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegomyLeggio View Post
I wouldn't not draft MacKinnon because of what the Sabres have today.

I just don't see Mac or Grigs being an ideal 3rd line center, is all.
Understood. That's where O'Reilly's name comes back in the picture, IMO. Like Lebowski's rug, he'd really tie this lineup together. But assuming we couldn't get ROR, I'd throw MacKinnon on RW for a year or two.

Old
02-28-2013, 09:14 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Understood. That's where O'Reilly's name comes back in the picture, IMO. Like Lebowski's rug, he'd really tie this lineup together. But assuming we couldn't get ROR, I'd throw MacKinnon on RW for a year or two.
Exactly.

The dream is that if they can't get ROR that ZG turns into something close to that within 3 years.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:37 AM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegomyLeggio View Post
I wouldn't not draft MacKinnon because of what the Sabres have today.

I just don't see Mac or Grigs being an ideal 3rd line center, is all.
You wouldn't have to worry about Mac being a 3rd line center because he'd push Ennis or Hodgson out to 3C.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:50 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
You wouldn't have to worry about Mac being a 3rd line center because he'd push Ennis or Hodgson out to 3C.
Hodgson isn't a 3C and Ennis would go to the wing most likely.

The issue is that none of those guys could fill that Drury role like back in the Briere-Drury-Roy timeframe.

Old
02-28-2013, 12:09 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

If need be you can always deal one of the centers later down the road...but you can never have too many centers. I wouldn't worry about someone not being an ideal 3C right now...plenty of time later to see to that.

Old
02-28-2013, 12:09 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
From what I've read, MacKinnon is just as comfortable on the wing. They can give him a couple years of the Seguin treatment, allowing the center situation to sort itself out over that period. It shouldn't be an issue, and you certainly shouldn't select a player you like less because you're worried about the effect having MacKinnon will have on the other pieces in your lineup.
He actually hasn't been very comfortable on the wing thus far in his career.
That being said, I'm sure that he can make the transition to the wing if need be (to break into the NHL or if the team feels he's best suited to play there).

I think he's best utilized down the middle though, especially with the abilities he's shown this season (last year, some felt he'd be a winger because of an absence of defensive and physical presence, but that just wasn't his role and now that it is, he's still shining).
He's a threat to score himself or through passing (funny how underrated his passing ability has become, ask a Moose fan what type of player he was after the first half of last season and they'd say playmaker), is a possession player and great at transitioning the play, and his speed is an asset both ways.

Old
02-28-2013, 12:33 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
If need be you can always deal one of the centers later down the road...but you can never have too many centers. I wouldn't worry about someone not being an ideal 3C right now...plenty of time later to see to that.
Bingo. We can always move someone to the wing or dangle the odd man out as trade bait to fill holes elsewhere on the roster. But having too much center depth won't hurt you, ever. Not having enough of it kills though.

Old
02-28-2013, 02:06 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator
Away, PM another mod

vCash: 666
Update on injured 2013 goalie prospect Eric Comrie:
Quote:
It’s been more than a month since Eric Comrie stopped a puck for the Tri-City Americans.

The starting goaltender at the beginning of the season, Comrie was 20-14-1-2 in 37 games, with a 2.62 goals-against average, a .915 save percentage, and two shutouts before he was shelved for the season Jan. 18.

After two hip surgeries, Comrie, 17, is on the mend in his hometown of Newport Beach, Calif.

“I’m doing much better than before,” Comrie said in a telephone interview. “There’s a lot of rehab — 6 hours a day. The thing about rehab is you feel it every day. It’s easy to do and it feels so much better. I’m really happy with how it’s gone.”

Comrie had minor surgery on his left hip Feb. 5 in Vail, Colo., then had the right side done six days later.

“I was walking within six days on my left with crutches,” Comrie said. “I’m still on crutches for the right side. My left side got better faster. The great thing is I do my rehab in the pool so I don’t have to put any weight on it. I have been doing jumps and running in the pool.”

At the time of his surgery, Comrie was the No. 2-ranked draft-eligible goaltender in North America in Central Scouting’s midseason rankings — tops in the Western Hockey League.

Comrie is expected to make a full recovery and return to the ice in 3 to 4 months.

But just because he can’t play doesn’t mean he hasn’t been keeping tabs on the Americans.

Old
02-28-2013, 03:13 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator
Away, PM another mod

Lindholm scored two goals on Ullmark today, but left in the second period with back problems:
Quote:
Brynäs doing 1-0 in a game turn when Elias Lindholm walked around the bag "back door" and Ullmark not keep up to fill the post and 1-0!
Quote:
"If we want to win a game, we need to up the track and put pressure on their backs," said Brynäs Elias Lindholm C More after the first period.
Quote:
Brynäs takes a real grip on the game (and the last playoff spot) when Elias Lindholm makes his second goal of the evening. Brynäs, three against one after a mistake from MODO and Lindholm do some quick spins before he neatly put the puck for the 2-0 during Linus Ullmark.
Quote:
Small sided Sagittarius Lindholm now forced to get off, unclear why.
Quote:
According to information from C More does not Lindholm more tonight because of back problems.

Link: http://www.hockeyligan.se/elitserien-arena/38403/live/

Old
03-01-2013, 01:45 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator
Away, PM another mod

Owen Sound’s Chris Bigras adding flavour:
Quote:
Chris Bigras (D, 2013), Owen Sound

Scouting: Supports the breakout effectively – makes sound decisions with the puck and can deliver crisp passes out of the zone .. stays cool and composed in possession .. his puckmoving and outlet play have improved significantly since the start of the season .. now takes an extra second to evaluate options – and rarely throws it away or does not see a play .. prefers to make a quick pass and then dart into open ice as opposed to lugging the puck out himself .. lacks the breakaway skating ability to be a prime puckrusher, but is smooth in transition due to his vision and game-reading abilities .. understands when to jump in and out of a play .. shown marked improvement in his passing skills and ability to contribute to the attack .. effective on the power play – will pinch forward as he sees a play unfolding, going to the net to redirect a pass .. his slapshot and wristshot are okay, nothing spectacular, and used more to create tips and deflections .. generates a decent enough thrust from short, economical strides .. must keep working to improve his first step quickness – and to be clean up some busy footwork sequences that reduce efficiency .. a slight bow-legged skating stance hinders his ability at times to pivot and make a play, however he does have good speed and mobility and also generates a solid burst in crossovers .. logs key minutes for the Attack in all situations and is steadily progressing as a defender .. committed, sticks with plays .. uses a decent-sized frame as a method of containing down low, albeit is not overly aggressive by nature and will have to optimize his strength potential to hold his ground against pro opponents .. plagued by the occasional let-up in intensity and focus .. needs to keep making gains in overall positioning .. can lose his man to the outside by playing the gap too high in the zone .. also gets caught up ice chasing offensive plays as he is prone to over-reacting and forcing things especially when his team is trailing.

Old
03-02-2013, 12:09 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator
Away, PM another mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
Lindholm scored two goals on Ullmark today, but left in the second period with back problems:
Also, Lindholm's game report via McKeen's:
Quote:
Swedish Elite League

Game: Brynas IF vs MODO

Result: 3-1 (Shots 25:25)

Elias Lindholm (C/W, 2013), Brynas IF (Dec 2-94)

Delivered a very impressive performance .. forced from the game due to an ailing back early in the second period but was excellent up to that point .. scored two big goals – the two first of the game – the first coming with just 14 seconds left in the opening period .. challenged and beat the defenseman to the outside, held on to the puck patiently skating behind the opponent’s net and scoring a nifty wraparound play .. the goal provided an emotional lift for Brynas who took control of the game from that point onwards .. MODO struggled to generate offensive pressure and were not really able to threaten Brynas in this game .. Lindholm’s second marker came on a 3-on-2 in which he receives a pass in the slot with a MODO player pressuring him from his right side .. however, he positions his right skate to protect the puck, walks in and dekes the MODO goalie to the ice before putting the puck in to the net .. two huge goals in one of the biggest game of the year for Brynas .. along with the goals, his level of play up until his departure really showed what he is made of – speed, energy, skill, smartness, and a willingness to win and compete when the game/season is on the line .. this was an exciting performance which should help cement his status as a top 5 pick this summer.

Old
03-03-2013, 01:22 PM
Moskau

vCash: 100
So if we keep winning is it "Go Far for Lazar"?

Old
03-03-2013, 02:03 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
So if we keep winning is it "Go Far for Lazar"?
Nurse, Erne, Domi are my favorites that I think might be available in the 10-15 range. Lazar's not a bad pick either though.

Old
03-03-2013, 06:26 PM

well it's looking likely we have no chance at the #1 and #2 pick now, unless we win the lottery.

the Panthers are ****ing terrible and the Jackets are the Jackets.

Old
03-03-2013, 06:40 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
well it's looking likely we have no chance at the #1 and #2 pick now, unless we win the lottery.

the Panthers are ****ing terrible and the Jackets are the Jackets.
I think Florida will finish with the worst record in the league. They're getting whipped routinely. CBJ isn't great, but they play a lot of competitive games--they gave Chicago all they could handle in Chicago twice. Unless Markstrom stands on his head a lot, I think Florida can start printing the MacKinnon jerseys.

Old
03-03-2013, 06:44 PM
McTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Nurse, Erne, Domi are my favorites that I think might be available in the 10-15 range. Lazar's not a bad pick either though.
Don't take domi! I played against him 3 years ago it'd be way to weird having to cheer for a former opponent. He scored twice on me though (I'm a goalie)

Old
03-03-2013, 06:48 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Burn for Erne?

I'm trying to think of things conveying a "barely miss" or a "fall short", but can't get one to rhyme with any of those guys

Old
03-03-2013, 07:19 PM

why do some people like Erne so much? he seems like your average middle of the 1st round prospect from what i've seen. Seems like a very good bet to be a 2nd line foward but I don't see him having the same upside of guys like Nurse, Zadarov, Shinkaruk, Dickenson ect..

I wanna take more risk/reward picks in the 1st round and get some real front line talent, guys that project to be complimentary players can be found the the 2nd/3rd round.

Darnell Nurse moved to 6th in Button's list, wouldn't surprise me if he is a top 5 pick. Upside is through the roof.

Last edited by 1972: 03-04-2013 at 03:28 PM.
Old
03-04-2013, 05:16 PM
McTank

Quote:
why do some people like Erne so much? he seems like your average middle of the 1st round prospect from what i've seen. Seems like a very good bet to be a 2nd line foward but I don't see him having the same upside of guys like Nurse, Zadarov, Shinkaruk, Dickenson ect..

I wanna take more risk/reward picks in the 1st round and get some real front line talent, guys that project to be complimentary players can be found the the 2nd/3rd round.

Darnell Nurse moved to 6th in Button's list, wouldn't surprise me if he is a top 5 pick. Upside is through the roof.
Mostly because he played with grigs I would think

Old
03-04-2013, 05:49 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:

Erne has upside. He's got wheels, pretty good hands, a good shot, and a very strong two-way game. I think he could become the player we wish Stafford was.

Old
03-04-2013, 06:06 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Mostly because he played with grigs I would think
AKA the Alexander Kokhlachev syndrome (he has great chemistry with Kassian!). I'd venture a guess that people followed Grigs (and ergo the Remparts) closer and so they know more about Erne than other guys. But most rankings have him an early-mid 1st rounder, so it's not just the Grigs factor...the kid does have solid NHL potential.

Old
03-04-2013, 08:45 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator
Away, PM another mod

Portland’s tiny Nic Petan making large waves:
Quote:
Nic Petan (C/LW, 2013), Portland

Diminutive 5-foot-8, 165-pound center has developed into an exciting and dynamic player to watch .. speedy with a short, powerful part-choppy stride .. hard to knock off the puck due to his low center of gravity .. keeps his balance remarkably well through traffic .. among the most gifted in the league in terms of natural puck and hand skills .. boasts exceptional puckhandling control, for which he has drawn comparisons to former NHL great Joe Sakic, only a smaller version .. his vision is first-rate – sees the ice extremely well .. excels at drawing defenders in and opening up space for teammates .. displays sublime patience with the puck – can pull the puck back for a split second to open up a passing lane and hit his man with a saucer pass – or a touch pass in one motion that doesn’t allow a defenseman to react .. his shot is also a weapon as it explodes off his blade and has uncanny accuracy .. his quickness and ability to match his foot and hand speed to make plays at a heightened pace makes him very difficult to defend .. gritty and determined – not afraid to finish a check or work the boards down low .. comes backs hard and backchecks with enthusiasm .. doesn’t back down when the game gets tougher and can inspire and motivate teammates with his physical injections and through the consistency of his play from shift to shift .. intriguing prospect given his natural skills coupled with a strong compete level .. in the Jordan Eberle manner, where a lack of size appears to be only deficiency.

Old
03-04-2013, 10:28 PM
jfb392

Just noticed this: for those that want Elias Lindholm, his brother is already in town (kind of).

Old
03-04-2013, 11:07 PM
Have My Baby Pierre

I'm a little nervous about drafting a defenseman given this organizations struggles over the past 10 years in drafting and developing good defensemen. How many defensemen have we drafted the past 10 years that have actually developed into the players we hoped they would?

At the same time though, we do desperately need one.

Old
03-04-2013, 11:35 PM
McTank

Not sure when he's projected to fall but another guy I used to play against that is having a big year is jimmy lodge, if he's still there in the 2nd round that'd be a good pick

Closed Thread