*OFFICIAL* Mississauga Steelheads 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2013, 06:39 AM
superspitfan99

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
You have to remember Burnside is still a rookie. Not many players come in and play lst line, 1st PK and PP in their rookie year. James was playing him too much minutes IMO and its starting to have its effects. He needs to get stronger over the summer so he can be more effective in the offensive zone.

Bourne has a bright future. I feel that his skating is the only thing that is holding him back.

Martin has played alright. His potential is there. My one question for him is if he may need surgery at the end of the year. If so he's battling hard and still not letting that affect his game which is good on him. Broken record but his rebound control is not there yet. Inconsistency is common in young goaltenders but his future is bright.

MacIntyre has played very well as of late, very good speed and playing smart. He needs to get a little stronger to help with his defensive play but overall he's been solid the last couple weeks.

Really like how Smoskowitz, Brace line were playing at the beginning of the year, but now if feels as if Smosk is trying to hard to score. Teams are reading him so easily because he would come down along the wing and cut across the middle flicking the puck to himself. If this line wants to be as effective as they were earlier on in the year they need to move the puck and they haven't been.

A bit of a broken record but this team has no secondary scoring and other guys need to step up. Smoskowitz is being a little selfish but you can't blame him he scores most of this team's goals.

Sometimes I feel bad for James because he doesn't have the talent pool other teams do. He tries shuffling lines and nothing seems to work, the scouts need to help him recoup talent in this years draft and the future ones.
I felt for Boyd at one time, but trade deadline came and he sat still, both as a coach and a GM. He doesn't have the talent and what they do have they are still losing with. Wouldn't have made any difference at all to trade off a couple of is key guys in order to set up for next year. Would have helped to at least bring in something new and fresh, even if it was just to make a change. Sometimes those little changes, make the difference to the dynamic of a group?

As for his attempt at changing up lines. IMO he keeps trying to take a round hole and put every other shape into it, other than the round peg. IMO he's mixing the wrong guys together and not giving ice time based on who is deserving of it at the time. Hottot is a perfect example. That guys deserves less than nothing for ice time, especially when you see the effort he puts out there. That was a huge mistake on Boyd's part bringing him in.

Old
02-06-2013, 09:27 AM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelheads101 View Post
I felt for Boyd at one time, but trade deadline came and he sat still, both as a coach and a GM. He doesn't have the talent and what they do have they are still losing with. Wouldn't have made any difference at all to trade off a couple of is key guys in order to set up for next year. Would have helped to at least bring in something new and fresh, even if it was just to make a change. Sometimes those little changes, make the difference to the dynamic of a group?

As for his attempt at changing up lines. IMO he keeps trying to take a round hole and put every other shape into it, other than the round peg. IMO he's mixing the wrong guys together and not giving ice time based on who is deserving of it at the time. Hottot is a perfect example. That guys deserves less than nothing for ice time, especially when you see the effort he puts out there. That was a huge mistake on Boyd's part bringing him in.
Hottot has been aweful. His numbers are a joke. Should probably be a healthy scratch.

Old
02-06-2013, 09:09 PM
Torts

Quote:

I'm sorry but id have to disagree, in junior it is important to make sure you bring as much talent in on a year to year basis.

When your a 6th, 7th or 8th place team with 3 "elite/above average" players in the league that are for certain not coming back (Percy, DeMelo signed and Brace OA) it is almost essential to get something for them. I understand the east is tight but figure it out Boyd, these guys could fetch quite a bit and he did nothing. I'm a season ticket holder and could care less if they have Percy cutouts all around Mississauga. Trust me ill be sad when Brace goes but getting nothing for Percy and DeMelo, espcially with the year dylan is having is a complete and utter mistake.

If you add what we could have had from trades plus Bourne, MacIntyre, Martin, Burnside. Then your looking at something easier to build around. It's gotta be a thumbs down for me the past 2 trade deadlines and offseasons for Boyd. If your rebuilding and not recuperating young players/draft picks in a two season span you set yourself up for a lot worse in the later years.

Old
02-07-2013, 06:09 AM
superspitfan99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts View Post
I'm sorry but id have to disagree, in junior it is important to make sure you bring as much talent in on a year to year basis.

When your a 6th, 7th or 8th place team with 3 "elite/above average" players in the league that are for certain not coming back (Percy, DeMelo signed and Brace OA) it is almost essential to get something for them. I understand the east is tight but figure it out Boyd, these guys could fetch quite a bit and he did nothing. I'm a season ticket holder and could care less if they have Percy cutouts all around Mississauga. Trust me ill be sad when Brace goes but getting nothing for Percy and DeMelo, espcially with the year dylan is having is a complete and utter mistake.

If you add what we could have had from trades plus Bourne, MacIntyre, Martin, Burnside. Then your looking at something easier to build around. It's gotta be a thumbs down for me the past 2 trade deadlines and offseasons for Boyd. If your rebuilding and not recuperating young players/draft picks in a two season span you set yourself up for a lot worse in the later years.
You must have misunderstood, this is exactly what I was saying that he should have given up one or a couple of those guys you name. My point about it not mattering was that if he kept them to win games, it didn't really matter because although they won last night, their winning numbers aren't so great right now anyways. Maybe by bringing in new blood it would have given the team some renewed energy.

I completely agree with you on this!

Old
02-07-2013, 07:25 AM
Torts

Quote:
You must have misunderstood, this is exactly what I was saying that he should have given up one or a couple of those guys you name. My point about it not mattering was that if he kept them to win games, it didn't really matter because although they won last night, their winning numbers aren't so great right now anyways. Maybe by bringing in new blood it would have given the team some renewed energy.

I completely agree with you on this!
ohhhhh ok i hear ya. just the part i bolded stood out to me and in turn fueled a mini rant by myself ahahah

Old
02-11-2013, 11:43 AM
superspitfan99

Saw that Carrick was out again for the Saturday game? Injury?
When are Diodati and Kopstals back?

Old
02-17-2013, 10:50 PM
Elever
Hth

Quote:
Lots of free parking. Eddie's Wok and Roll on Erin Mills Parkway near Brittania is one of my favorits, but if you want something fast and closer, the Fire Pit isn't bad.
Oh gosh that place is always super crowded at nights and not even close to the actual rink as it's on the west side (I prefer Asian Wok n Roll near there anyways, less crowded and the same type of food or one of those awesome restaurants in Streetsville). There's really nothing within walking distance of the rink thanks to the planning of whomever chose the rink location but I think Dixie/Eglinton is closer by and there are a bunch of great restaurants there. A turkish one called King Kebab or something and Royale Jasmine which is a better hakka version of Eddie's.

No one mentioned this yet but from their website, I saw this whole month (with I think 2 home games remaining after tomorrow), you can get this deal which is basically 2 nice tickets for regular price and sit in the top corners and a $20 gift card...enough to buy a t-shirt:

I think it's only through ticketmaster

Old
02-19-2013, 05:57 AM
superspitfan99

Yesterday's game against Kingston was terrible all around. If these guys don't start to show some sort of spark, they may not see the playoffs at all. There is so much going wrong with this team and it's not all about talent or the lack of.

Old
02-25-2013, 05:55 AM
superspitfan99

Only 6 points between Missy and the Petes and 2 separating them from Kingston now. These last games are going to be tough and IMO will be the deciding factor whether James Boyd has a job or not for next year!

Old
02-25-2013, 12:28 PM
wikiwikiwiki

This will be very disappointing if the team doesn't make playoffs. These kids need some leadership right now.

Edit - Has Hottot been dropped? Waste of an OA spot.

Last edited by wikiwikiwiki: 02-25-2013 at 12:42 PM.
Old
02-25-2013, 02:18 PM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiwikiwiki View Post
This will be very disappointing if the team doesn't make playoffs. These kids need some leadership right now.

Edit - Has Hottot been dropped? Waste of an OA spot.
I think Boyd received damaged goods.

Old
02-25-2013, 04:44 PM
Elever
Hth

The cup's gonna be at the Hershey Centre on March 3rd according to this (the Whalers game). Now it says for South Asian Day but I'm assuming you can get your pic taken with it even if you aren't South Asian. Also there's a link to contact someone for discount tickets:

http://www.mississauga.com/sports/ar...outh-asian-day

Old
02-26-2013, 06:12 AM
superspitfan99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtowatch View Post
I think Boyd received damaged goods.
He didn't do his homework on that OA trade and wasted a pic. From what I understand Hotthot went home a week ago.

Last edited by superspitfan99: 02-27-2013 at 06:39 AM.
Old
02-26-2013, 10:00 PM
NHL Fanatic

No offence guys but please don't comment on what you don't know. I heard exactly why Hottot left the team, it definitely has to be tough for him. Wish him all the best.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:24 AM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
No offence guys but please don't comment on what you don't know. I heard exactly why Hottot left the team, it definitely has to be tough for him. Wish him all the best.
I know. Very tough. Sarnia are at fault for trading him. Not fair what they did.

Old
02-28-2013, 12:11 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtowatch View Post
I know. Very tough. Sarnia are at fault for trading him. Not fair what they did.
And what did Sarnia do? The reason Hottot isn't still with Sarnia is because of his own doing.

Old
02-28-2013, 01:42 PM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
And what did Sarnia do? The reason Hottot isn't still with Sarnia is because of his own doing.
There were other issues not for this forum.

Old
02-28-2013, 05:52 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts View Post

Agree 100%.

At the beginning of the year when they were winning, the team was fighting and hitting everything in sight, especially from the dmen. Also, Martin was playing over his head. But over the last 2 months, the team has not fought at all, and it seems like they have abandoned JB.

Old
03-02-2013, 01:49 AM
superspitfan99

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
Agree 100%.

At the beginning of the year when they were winning, the team was fighting and hitting everything in sight, especially from the dmen. Also, Martin was playing over his head. But over the last 2 months, the team has not fought at all, and it seems like they have abandoned JB.
I would agree, but I think JB is over his head here and these guys know he's not smart enough to coach the out of the mess that they are in. Time for some new coaching blood to rejuvenate this team for next year.

Old
03-03-2013, 10:55 AM
Elever
Hth

Ah Gary Leeman is signing autographs today. Wanted to get him to sign my '93 card of him (I don't think another was made). oh well

Last edited by OHLFan8771: 03-12-2013 at 09:54 PM.
Old
03-03-2013, 10:56 AM
superspitfan99

Last night's game was a disaster and Stuart Percy sits on the bench for two periods in game against OS. He must have done something pretty good to make Boyd mad enough at him to bench him.

Old
03-12-2013, 09:37 PM
wikiwikiwiki

what a slide this team has taken. Hopefully they make the playoffs.

Old
03-13-2013, 06:48 AM
superspitfan99

Last night's game is no exception to what has been happening all year, poor leadership and coaching. Mr. Kerr if you want to get people in your barn and make money, your team needs to be a competitor and win games. Are you confident that Boyd can do that? From what I've seen the past couple of years since he's taken over as head coach, I'm not!

Old
03-13-2013, 12:31 PM
NHL Fanatic

This team was projected to be in the 6-10 range. This result was expected. It's been the same problem since last year, this team just can't score. Brampton and Mississauga have the most defensive styles in the league and they each don't score many goals but in Brampton's case they have stronger players overall than Mississauga. You can't expect to ride one line all year long. Anyways this is Boyd's last year of his contract he was probably just thinking to go for it all.

Old
03-13-2013, 03:04 PM
Torts

at this point im hoping for no playoffs, its sad yes but this team and james boyd do not deserve playoffs, peterborough does with the run theyve been on

plus we get a better shot at a konecny, strome or spencer.....ye ill take that

Closed Thread