HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Erskine re-signed: 2 years, $3.925 million

Old
02-26-2013, 10:08 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
One thing that I'd love to know (and never will) is what the organization thought of Souray when he was under our control.

A big, veteran, physical defenseman who can skate and score and is known for his leadership was in Hershey for 4 months. What did we see there that made us say meh?
Still disgusts me. Although I must say, when I mentioned it back then, pretty much everyone was against Sourey. Oh if only they had listened to me....we'd have another top pair defender right now.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:30 AM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Souray wasn't really "under their control." He would have had to clear re-entry waivers just to get back to the NHL.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:58 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
Souray wasn't really "under their control." He would have had to clear re-entry waivers just to get back to the NHL.
Sorry, I didn't mean contractually. I just meant under the control of our coaching staff. I don't know that we would have even been able to recall him given our cap situation in 2011. We should have been informed enough to make the right choice between Hamrlik for $7 million or Souray for $2 in the off-season.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 12:30 PM
Halpysback

There was absolutely no way Ted and George would bring Souray on after he *****ed out Edmonton's management the way he did.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:27 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
There was absolutely no way Ted and George would bring Souray on after he *****ed out Edmonton's management the way he did.
Yeah we already had one bad apple in Semin...

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:36 AM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

I wonder what this means in regards to their interest in Dekeyser...

SimplySensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:58 AM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Yeah we already had one bad apple in Semin...
Exactly, they couldn't risk Souray's loud mouth in addition to all the vitriolic bombs Semin was dropping on a daily basis. Would have irreparably damaged Leonsis's image.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:26 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
If they felt that way, those morons should wonder what their reputation looks like to the players post Belanger incident.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 09:10 AM
BobRouse

I loved what Alan May said during the game last night.

He was happy with the contract and specifically mentioned pretty much EXACTLY what I've been harping on...he is the ONLY player on this team to have that specific skillset and combo of toughness, ruggedness and who can throwdown.

Does he ever have a cannon of a shot too. No goalie was stopping that one.

His D is getting better and better all the time.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:46 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
If they felt that way, those morons should wonder what their reputation looks like to the players post Belanger incident.
Yeah IMO that was far from McPhee's finest hour but Belanger's agent better have been fired for letting that drag out as long as it did unless McPhee was just flat out lying to them, which may have been the case but still. You have to take care of your client...

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:53 PM
Roughing

Always liked JE. This sounded like too much but if he keeps playing like he has it's a good signing. Maybe he's at his best in a system like Oates is running.

Roughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 01:32 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Yeah IMO that was far from McPhee's finest hour but Belanger's agent better have been fired for letting that drag out as long as it did unless McPhee was just flat out lying to them, which may have been the case but still. You have to take care of your client...
Agreed. But point being you can't be so dogmatic in a glass house.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 07:40 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Ersk wasn't that crease clearing d-man last night that Holtby was raving about as Simmonds camped out front and scored.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 08:09 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Simmonds went flying as he scored, at least.

Much later I saw Erskine take a run at someone in center ice.

I wonder if that hit was the reason MP was run later, in almost the exact same spot.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 08:21 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

You would go flying with less balance while you're swatting the puck into the night. He needed to go flying before that.

Yep. I remember the Erskine attempt. That almost led to another Flyers goal but you're right that could have led to the MP hit. Forgot about that.

Old
02-28-2013, 08:34 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

I wasn't certain if Erskine made contact with Simmonds before he scored, but I figured, probably.

Anyone catch that number of the guy Erskine ran? If it was one of their runts, maybe that would explain MP getting run late. Maybe it was their lead punk Briere.

Ovi did pick up a token rough on apple cheeks. When he is the only one giving a crap, how long do people to expect him to shoulder all the weight of the team. Rinaldo roughs Ovi. He leads, but the others do not have his back.

Old
02-28-2013, 09:11 AM
g00n
abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
Ersk wasn't that crease clearing d-man last night that Holtby was raving about as Simmonds camped out front and scored.
And how good was he the night before??

The whole team was flat, and tired. It was obvious.

g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 09:27 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
And how good was he the night before??

The whole team was flat, and tired. It was obvious.
I congrats'd him on the goal and the contract in another thread. Gotta take the criticism too.

The other night was against a team with 3/4 of top d missing. Flyers actually iced something similar to an NHL D - could that be the difference? Caps thought it would be a cake walk.

Detroit won two games in 24 hours thoroughly beating Vancouver and Nashville.

Old
02-28-2013, 09:44 AM
g00n
abides

Quote:
I congrats'd him on the goal and the contract in another thread. Gotta take the criticism too.

The other night was against a team with 3/4 of top d missing. Flyers actually iced something similar to an NHL D - could that be the difference? Caps thought it would be a cake walk.

Detroit won two games in 24 hours thoroughly beating Vancouver and Nashville.
So your complaint is that Erskine, somehow knowing he would be re-signed right before a back-to-back stint, didn't condition more on his own and isn't in better shape than the rest of the team?

Old
02-28-2013, 09:44 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
You would go flying with less balance while you're swatting the puck into the night. He needed to go flying before that.

Yep. I remember the Erskine attempt. That almost led to another Flyers goal but you're right that could have led to the MP hit. Forgot about that.
Erskine was one of our better defenders last night but that isn't saying much.

Alzner struggled mightily as did Poti. Green didn't have a very good game either. Kundratek and Erskine were our best on an abysmal night.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:06 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

??????????????

V
V
V
V

Quote:
So your complaint is that Erskine, somehow knowing he would be re-signed right before a back-to-back stint, didn't condition more on his own and isn't in better shape than the rest of the team?
Is that what I said?

You brought up "flat and tired". I responded with Detroit won two games in 24 hours.

Should we remove the B2B from the schedule for the Washington Caps? Was Erskine too tired to move Simmonds? IDK - ask Adam Oates - although he has said conditioning isn't his responsibility.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:17 AM
g00n
abides

Quote:
??????????????

V
V
V
V

Is that what I said?

You brought up "flat and tired". I responded with Detroit won two games in 24 hours.

Should we remove the B2B from the schedule for the Washington Caps? Was Erskine too tired to move Simmonds? IDK - ask Adam Oates - although he has said conditioning isn't his responsibility.

I still don't get what you're trying to say. How is it legitimate criticism of one player to point out that another team is in better shape than the Caps? Doesn't that just dovetail with what I said, in that singling out Erskine for criticism based entirely on last night is unfair because of a team-wide issue? Holtby's praise is based on Erskine's typical play, not some outlier game where the entire team is exposed as out of shape.

Old
02-28-2013, 12:13 PM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Quote:
I still don't get what you're trying to say. How is it legitimate criticism of one player to point out that another team is in better shape than the Caps? Doesn't that just dovetail with what I said, in that singling out Erskine for criticism based entirely on last night is unfair because of a team-wide issue? Holtby's praise is based on Erskine's typical play, not some outlier game where the entire team is exposed as out of shape.
Okay. Nor do I get what you're trying to say. So I guess we're even.

I got the impression you were making an excuse for the Caps being flat and tired (you posted that). I merely pointed out other teams handle B2B's.

But if you feel I was singling out Erskine .......it's not the first time one player got singled out for team-wide issues.

Dare I say more because it'll be (mis)interpreted into something else. LOL

Should the Caps request removal of the back 2 backs?

Old
02-28-2013, 01:11 PM
g00n
abides

Quote:
Okay. Nor do I get what you're trying to say. So I guess we're even.

I got the impression you were making an excuse for the Caps being flat and tired (you posted that). I merely pointed out other teams handle B2B's.

But if you feel I was singling out Erskine .......it's not the first time one player got singled out for team-wide issues.

Dare I say more because it'll be (mis)interpreted into something else. LOL

Should the Caps request removal of the back 2 backs?

I was not saying the Caps shouldn't have b2bs and I don't know how I could've given that impression. Again, there appears to be a team-wide issue with conditioning and/or motivation that was evident vs Philly, and that should have nothing to do with an assessment of Erskine as an individual, his contract or Holtby's comments.

Is that clear enough?

Old
02-28-2013, 01:15 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Ok ok getta r00m!

I thought it was awesome seeing Erskine step and really try and nail someone in center ice. It may be the first time all year a Dman tried for an open ice hit like a man... ok Scott Stevens. I hope he embraces his new role as our 2LD and tries to grab the bull by the horns and lead our listless defense.