HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Vancouver Canucks-New York Islanders

Old
02-28-2013, 12:11 PM
Canadian Gold X3
It is what it is.

vCash: 500
Vancouver Canucks-New York Islanders

To

D Keith Ballard
2013 2nd round pick
To

D Lubomir Visnovsky
Maybe a low low level prospect?
Fair or not fair?
Feel free to critique! and offer creative criticism

Canadian Gold X3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:13 PM
ginner classic

The second round pick should be on the other side of that equation.

ginner classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:14 PM
Islander Prophet

why would the Isles do this...?? Visnovsky is playing great for us now and we don't want to demote our defense, we want to improve it!

Islander Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:14 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streit Power View Post
why would the Isles do this...?? Visnovsky is playing great for us now and we don't want to demote our defense, we want to improve it!
If we're out at the deadline, I do this easily.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:16 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginner classic View Post
Come on. I like Ballard but he's on a pretty bad contract and hasn't been performing well at all since arriving in Vancouver.

Actually, let me rephrase that. He's not playing like the Keith Ballard people saw in Florida, and not in a good way. That will take away a lot of his value.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:17 PM
Todds Chiropractory

vCash: 50
I really don't feel that Visnovsky is the answer to our problems on defence. Even if he is comfortable playing on the right side we should be targeting a right handed defenseman, especially if we are moving Ballard who has been great this year.

Todds Chiropractory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:17 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Classless One View Post
To

D Keith Ballard
2013 2nd round pick
To

Lubomir Visnovsky

Fair or not fair?
Feel free to critique! and offer creative criticism
No thanks.

I'd rather have Vis for the pp then Ballard. Even if the Isles move Vis, I think Snow can bring back a late first. He likes moving around the draft board with those late 1st rounders/high 2nd rounders.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:19 PM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginner classic View Post
No it really shouldn't.

The Canucks need to get out of Ballard's contract before September 2013. Visnovsky is also playing great since his return. Ballard, despite what Canucks fans are going off about, remains unable to produce offence and is playing third pairing minutes.

And I live in Vancouver, so yes I have seen Ballard play many many times. I'm not just going off stats. Visnovsky's value is a 2nd. Ballard's remains at zero.

blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:20 PM
Perro

seems more than fair considering he only cost a 2nd

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:21 PM
kasper11

Does anyone really think that the Isles, who just traded for Tim Thomas' cap hit, are going to take a bigger salary on a smaller cap hit?

When Visnovsky is traded, it will be for picks/prospects/players making the league minimum.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:21 PM
Chardo

It's actually a good deal for the Isles, if you believe Ballard is a top-4 dman. Isles traded a 2nd to get Viz for one year. With this trade, they're getting back that pick plus Ballard. Net result would be like signing Ballard to a free agent deal for 2 years at 4.2M per.

Chardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:23 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
No it really shouldn't.

The Canucks need to get out of Ballard's contract before September 2013. Visnovsky is also playing great since his return. Ballard, despite what Canucks fans are going off about, remains unable to produce offence and is playing third pairing minutes.

And I live in Vancouver, so yes I have seen Ballard play many many times. I'm not just going off stats. Visnovsky's value is a 2nd. Ballard's remains at zero.
I disagree.

The press is telling us that several teams are looking for quality defensemen, but there's not much of a market.

You know it's a weak market, when teams kick the tires on bringing Sopel back from Europe.
Isles will imo, get better then a 2nd if they move Vis. Especially at the trade deadline, when we are most likely to get teams willing to overpay.

Old
02-28-2013, 12:24 PM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardo View Post
It's actually a good deal for the Isles, if you believe Ballard is a top-4 dman. Isles traded a 2nd to get Viz for one year. With this trade, they're getting back that pick plus Ballard. Net result would be like signing Ballard to a free agent deal for 2 years at 4.2M per.
Not quite. They would also be trading a pick in the 31-40 range for one in the 51-60 range.

And I don't see the Isles being willing to give Ballard a deal at 4.2M. Would be the second biggest UFA signing for the Isles since Snow took over (Streit being the biggest at 4.5M).

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Co Ho*

I think the kicker here is if Vis is happy in LI or not.
From all the signs leading up to this season, he really did not want to play for the Islanders. Yet you guys want to hold on to him?
Ballard has been playing very well this season, and could very well flourish as a top 4 dman (see Florida stats).

Co Ho* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
blankall

Quote:
Are the Isles looking to spend that kind of cash on a d-man? That would make Ballard their highest paid player. If Ballard is worth less than 4.2 million on the FA market, from the Isles perspective it gives Ballard negative value.

Old
CREW99AW

Quote:
Ballard hasn't been a quality, top 4 d-man for several yrs.

Why would the isles believe he's a quality, top 4 d-man ? Those old tapes from his FL days?

Old
02-28-2013, 12:25 PM
goal1228

Viz will fetch a 2nd rounder ... maybe a late 1st depending on how much you Canucks want him

goal1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:26 PM
Chardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
Does anyone really think that the Isles, who just traded for Tim Thomas' cap hit, are going to take a bigger salary on a smaller cap hit?

When Visnovsky is traded, it will be for picks/prospects/players making the league minimum.

Ballard gets 4.2M for the next 2 years. Not a big cap hit.

Old
02-28-2013, 12:27 PM
Canadian Gold X3
It is what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goal1228 View Post
Viz will fetch a 2nd rounder ... maybe a late 1st depending on how much you Canucks want him
Our 1st rounder will probably be in the 20-30 range. So maybe a 1st if there's a bidding war.

Canadian Gold X3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:28 PM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co Ho View Post
From all the signs leading up to this season, he really did not want to play for the Islanders. Yet you guys want to hold on to him?
Ballard has been playing very well this season, and could very well flourish as a top 4 dman (see Florida stats).
In Florida Ballard was putting up 34 points. He has a career high of 39 points. He has 1 pont this season in 19 games. His ice time is being cut down. You're asking a team to take a massive gamble by assuming he will regain his pre-Canuck form.

Old
02-28-2013, 12:30 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co Ho View Post
Vis is settling in fine. I can't find the orginal Newsday link. That article was a little more indepth.

http://islanderspointblank.com/news/...n-long-island/
But even though he didn’t know anyone and was a few weeks late for the season, Visnovsky said that he was welcomed by the team.

“I talk to GM Garth Snow, and coaches, teammates and it was a big surprise to me how good everybody was to me,” he commented.

Old
02-28-2013, 12:30 PM
blankall

Quote:
Ballard gets 4.2M for the next 2 years. Not a big cap hit.
The Isles like big cap hits. They don't like big salaries. 4.2 million would make Ballard the highest paid player on the team. Visnovsky has a cap hit of 5.6 million but is only getting paid 3 million. Visnovsky is the better player, and financially makes much much much more sense for the Isles.

Old
02-28-2013, 12:34 PM
Chardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Are the Isles looking to spend that kind of cash on a d-man? That would make Ballard their highest paid player. If Ballard is worth less than 4.2 million on the FA market, from the Isles perspective it gives Ballard negative value.

I'll assume you meant highest paid d-man.

Isles will spend that kind of cash if they believe the player is worth it. They're paying Streit 4.1M.

Would Ballard be worth less than 4.2M for 2 years on the free agent market?

Old
02-28-2013, 12:38 PM
blankall

Quote:

Isles will spend that kind of cash if they believe the player is worth it. They're paying Streit 4.1M.

Tavares' salary is only 4 mil this season. DiPietro is no longer on the roster. Ballard would becomes their highest paid player.

And yes, I think Ballard would go for 2.5 million next year on the FA market at most. Especially with a lowered cap.

Old
02-28-2013, 12:38 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:

If Ballard were about to become a ufa, after having spent the last few seasons on Vancouver's 3rd pairing, do you really think the isles would offer him $4.2m per, make him their highest paid defenseman?

I don't.