Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flames Acquire Brian McGrattan

Old
02-28-2013, 12:46 PM
Ynnek

vCash: 252
I like this move alot actually. Some added grit if we need it while not losing anything worth while to get it.

At least Feaster was smart and didn't make a waiver claim and waste another contract without giving one up.

Ynnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:50 PM
flamesfever

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurfin View Post
Please elaborate?
Soft in terms of heavyweight enforcement and deterrent that comes along with having that "skill".

No response to the MacDonald running is the biggest indicator. However, numerous times we've see opposing players constantly taking extra shots at the Goalie when freezing the puck with little to no consequence. I know the game has changed and this is discourage and it's a fine line, but when Lewis ran over MacDonald someone should have stepped up...Hartly certainly thought so.

Flames are 26th in the league in fighting majors: 5 fights 2*Begin, 2*Jackman, 1 Iginla (after being called out by a former team mate)

Not convinced Gratton is the right choice here and if he will provide intimidation. We know he is a brutal skater and will get minimum minutes so I would have rather had say a Bobby Robbins to provide that deterrent.

flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:55 PM
DBU
We Think We Know You

vCash: 132
Well I had a minor heart attack when I thought this was a waiver pick up. Now that I know it's a trade, I'm more okay with it. Piskula wasn't anything special anyways.

DBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 01:09 PM
Volica
150 lbs of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
Gratzky!!!!

God just reading some of these comments you would think we traded a 1st for him.
Right lol.

Love me some Brian McGrattan! Always was one of my favorite tough guys. Christ sakes people, we traded an AHL caliber D-man for some more toughness. Jackman apparently feels like being a skill player, Grats and Aliu should be sent out there with Begin; make life hell for the opposition when they're out heh.

I like this.

Volica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 01:32 PM
TylerSVT*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary83 View Post
With how TylerSVT is reacting he must have been really high on Joe Piskula's chances to become an nhler, lol.
No, i think its a lateral move that does nothing for this team. I dont think this move makes the Flames better or worse. I dont know why Feaster is even looking at these kind of "deals"

I dont know what he expects McGrattan to do... Jackman and Kostop were both big energy guys, they turned it off when they realized the rest of the team has no interest in playing hard.

I just think it shows that Feaster is looking for quick fixes. I dont expect him to move big name players out yet, but i just think this indicates where his head is at.

TylerSVT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 01:48 PM
MuffinMerc
Business. Numbers!

vCash: 1000
It is a minor deal that benefits this team. We gave up an AHL dman who wasn't going to make the Flames roster for an Enforcer. The team still has 1 contract spot remaining so good on management on this one.

MuffinMerc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 02:03 PM
Gary83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
No, i think its a lateral move that does nothing for this team. I dont think this move makes the Flames better or worse. I dont know why Feaster is even looking at these kind of "deals"

I dont know what he expects McGrattan to do... Jackman and Kostop were both big energy guys, they turned it off when they realized the rest of the team has no interest in playing hard.

I just think it shows that Feaster is looking for quick fixes. I dont expect him to move big name players out yet, but i just think this indicates where his head is at.
Or maybe he plans to move Jackman at some point for a pick, prospect whatever and this is a plan B option without leaving us marshmallow soft.

But please, continue to jump overboard because Feaster doesn't stick to your wise, armchair GM decisions.

This is a scrub AHL contract essentially for a goon. Feaster didn't give up anything for value, there's no reason to have anything other then a "meh" response to this trade.

I understand that you're an Oilers fan but try to calm down in the future.

Gary83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 02:52 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynnek View Post
I like this move alot actually. Some added grit if we need it while not losing anything worth while to get it.

My thoughts exactly. Welcome back, McGrattan!

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 02:54 PM
Unkki

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
Hudler at center? Yuk.

Keep Stajan with Tangs and Iggy they need the puck and he has mixed well with them.
It'll be easier when Backund's back. After that we have Backlund, Stajan, Cammalleri and Begin at center. Cervenka has to fight for his time, Bärtschi too. I'm fine with our GlenX-Cammy-Stemps -line, and Tanguay-Stajan-Iginla too, but third line will be too soft, so that's why I see smartness in trying Stajan between Hudler and Bärtschi/Cervenka.

Unkki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 02:55 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkki View Post
It'll be easier when Backund's back. After that we have Backlund, Stajan, Cammalleri and Begin at center. Cervenka has to fight for his time, Bärtschi too.
But why put Hulder at center when Stajan is working there, why not leave Cammy at center he also has been fine there and let Cervenka have a shot on the 2nd line with Hudler?

Any way Cervenka is scratched tonight
Tanguay - Stajan - Iginla
Glencross - Cammy - Stempniak
Hudler - Comeau(gross) - Sven
Aliu - Begin - Jackman

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 02:59 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miokid View Post
Right lol.

Love me some Brian McGrattan! Always was one of my favorite tough guys. Christ sakes people, we traded an AHL caliber D-man for some more toughness. Jackman apparently feels like being a skill player, Grats and Aliu should be sent out there with Begin; make life hell for the opposition when they're out heh.

I like this.
Yup, that 4th line would really make life hell for opponents what with two wingers that have a complete inability to skate, play defensively, or handle the puck.

SmellOfVictory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 03:18 PM
DouglasQuaid
Blabbed about Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Internazionale View Post
Good move if this team didn't have Jackman. Makes no sense whatsoever.
Sure it makes sense. Jackman isn't exactly a great fighter.

DouglasQuaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 03:40 PM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

Why are people pissing over this deal? Piskula is a career AHL journeyman. He had nothing to help the Flames, meanwhile, Mcgratten will give the Flames toughness.

TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 03:56 PM
Feel The Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesrule View Post
Why are people pissing over this deal? Piskula is a career AHL journeyman. He had nothing to help the Flames, meanwhile, Mcgratten will give the Flames toughness.
Couldn't agree more.

Feel The Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 04:19 PM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeD View Post
Can't imagine Hudler and Cervenka being split up, unless Cervenka is scratched.
Confirmed with quote: LukeD complains about games without watching them.

They haven't played much together since Baertschi returned.

Adirondack Flames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 04:21 PM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

I know it's only temporary, but Abbotsford could use McGrattan since they too lack toughness. The additions to Abbotsford this week are very much welcome

Old
02-28-2013, 04:27 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

Anyone know how he's been doing with his addiction problems? I also like this move, glad to have him back.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 04:38 PM
TylerSVT*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary83 View Post
Or maybe he plans to move Jackman at some point for a pick, prospect whatever and this is a plan B option without leaving us marshmallow soft.

But please, continue to jump overboard because Feaster doesn't stick to your wise, armchair GM decisions.

This is a scrub AHL contract essentially for a goon. Feaster didn't give up anything for value, there's no reason to have anything other then a "meh" response to this trade.

I understand that you're an Oilers fan but try to calm down in the future.
Apparently not loving everything the Flames do = Oilers Fan.

Sounds good, thanks!

TylerSVT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 04:43 PM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Anyone know how he's been doing with his addiction problems? I also like this move, glad to have him back.
I haven't heard anything, which I assume is a good thing. He did a good job of staying out of trouble with his last Calgary stint.

Old
02-28-2013, 04:55 PM
Nordberg

vCash: 126
I like the move. McGrattan can go with anyone in the league. Hopefully he can run someone over and stir the team too when we take one of our patented games off.

Nordberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 05:00 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

vCash: 1000
Meh. A 4th line goon who plays 3-4 minutes a night doesn't do much to deter other teams. At least Feaster traded a contract this time instead of a pick or just claiming McGratton off of waivers for nothing.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 05:32 PM
flames123

McGrattan is an exciting fighter. He lands his punches and wins his fights. I don't care what you say, a 6' 4" guy who can beat the crap out of you is scary. He has a limited role and when he was in Calgary last time I thought he did a good (enough) job defensively. It is what it is and Piskula wasn't going to amount to anything that couldn't be had in free agency.

flames123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 10:35 AM
Predarat

Best of luck to him, wish there was a Pred that could drop the gloves so BigErn could clobber him. But the Preds have no idea how to use an enforcer.

Predarat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:04 AM
Sean Monahan
#boring

Hopefully this makes Jackman worry about his job and start playing his game more, which is not a puck handler.

Sean Monahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:10 AM
weephil56

He is a far better enforcer than Jackman will ever be much more intimidating. Hopefully this helps the flames grow some back bone.

weephil56 is offline   Reply With Quote