HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Taylor Hall Suspension - 2 games

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2013, 01:09 AM
Senor Catface

vCash: 1937
In his 3rd season, Tavares at one point didn't score for 13 games.

Old
02-28-2013, 12:29 PM
SephF
Visually Better

vCash: 500
Not even a phone call on these two hits

Old
02-28-2013, 01:11 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
Not even a phone call on these two hits

That second hit is almost a carbon copy of the Hall hit on Clutterbuck.

Old
02-28-2013, 01:13 PM
SephF
Visually Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
That second hit is almost a carbon copy of the Hall hit on Clutterbuck.
Except his team was winning and there was even less time on the clock.

Like I said, not even a phone call.

Old
02-28-2013, 01:14 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by President Van Buren View Post
First season

Hall .65 PPG
Tavares .66 PPG

Second season

Hall .87 PPG
Tavares .81 PPG

Third season

Hall 1 PPG
Tavares .98 PPG
yeah, you really have to compare apples to apples.... even when comparing their seasons, other things come into play such as team strengths, ice time, line mates, what conference you play in, etc etc.... but that other stuff is pretty much impossible to account for statistically, so this is about as good as it's going to get

Old
02-28-2013, 01:23 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
yeah, you really have to compare apples to apples.... even when comparing their seasons, other things come into play such as team strengths, ice time, line mates, what conference you play in, etc etc.... but that other stuff is pretty much impossible to account for statistically, so this is about as good as it's going to get
So we should just take the PPG and run with it?

Old
02-28-2013, 01:38 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Re: the Taylor Hall vs Tavares thing these topics always come up after the other player elsewhere has been hot.

The navel gazing only taking place when grass is greener. 2 weeks ago Logan Couture was considered better than anybody on this club. 3 weeks ago the Kyle Turris stuff started to resurface.

Both these players are stone cold after hot starts.

Fact of the matter is theres a lot of times people probably think good things about the players on this club and long for them instead of who they might have.

With Hall specifically you have that rare breed of player that has a defined game and brings that to every game. No slacker this kid and consistent effort. Consistent will. Where the hell is Tavares when his team is getting waxed 7-0.

Careful what you wish for. I'll take the player with heart, fight, and undeterred determination every time.

Old
02-28-2013, 01:46 PM
Toydarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Re: the Taylor Hall vs Tavares thing these topics always come up after the other player elsewhere has been hot.

The navel gazing only taking place when grass is greener. 2 weeks ago Logan Couture was considered better than anybody on this club. 3 weeks ago the Kyle Turris stuff started to resurface.

Both these players are stone cold after hot starts.

Fact of the matter is theres a lot of times people probably think good things about the players on this club and long for them instead of who they might have.

With Hall specifically you have that rare breed of player that has a defined game and brings that to every game. No slacker this kid and consistent effort. Consistent will. Where the hell is Tavares when his team is getting waxed 7-0.

Careful what you wish for. I'll take the player with heart, fight, and undeterred determination every time.
That is what I find most impressive about Hall. There is hardly any variation in his compete level and effort from game to game. The quantifiable results might not always be the same, but his impact on the game is usually evident. Consistency is definitely a rarity in hockey. Hall has had what, maybe 1 , "meh" games this season?

Old
02-28-2013, 01:51 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydarian View Post
That is what I find most impressive about Hall. There is hardly any variation in his compete level and effort from game to game. The quantifiable results might not always be the same, but his impact on the game is usually evident. Consistency is definitely a rarity in hockey.
Of any Oiler if you bring a kid, girlfriend, wife, whatever, to a game Taylor Halls game is as close to it gets as a guarantee. You tell the budding fan to watch number 4. Just watch him, he'll make things happen, he'll push the play, he'll be evident a lot.

Home or on the road he's that one player we have who always brings it. This used to be a more common element in hockey. Hall is a throwback. In a very good way.

With this degree of professional approach and day to day focus I can't imagine what his peak is.

Old
02-28-2013, 02:42 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
So we should just take the PPG and run with it?
Like I said, there are lots of other factors to take into account. But the best single stat for a comparison of two offensive fortwards might be similar-aged PPGs, yes. In the Tavarres v Hall comparison, it might be about as good as you're going to get without writing an essay on the matter that accounts for all the other variables.

Old
02-28-2013, 02:46 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Of any Oiler if you bring a kid, girlfriend, wife, whatever, to a game Taylor Halls game is as close to it gets as a guarantee. You tell the budding fan to watch number 4. Just watch him, he'll make things happen, he'll push the play, he'll be evident a lot.

Home or on the road he's that one player we have who always brings it. This used to be a more common element in hockey. Hall is a throwback. In a very good way.

With this degree of professional approach and day to day focus I can't imagine what his peak is.
Couldn't agree more. Hall has a compete level that is certainly unrivaled on the Oilers. Once he becomes a man, and gains the infamous "man strength", this kid could be a beast.

Old
02-28-2013, 03:26 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
Quote:

i feel the same way and i think once this team gets to teh playoffs we will see a different kind of compete from him. anyone who thinks he wasnt the reason his team won back to back memorial cups is wrong. he isnt just the engine he is the gas that fuels it to. and that is why he will be the next captain. I dont care how eberle talks to the media, Hall is a born leader, and a leader by example. how can you not give a balls out effort when your captain and leader does it night in and night out.

love hall

Old
02-28-2013, 04:11 PM
SephF
Visually Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
i feel the same way and i think once this team gets to teh playoffs we will see a different kind of compete from him. anyone who thinks he wasnt the reason his team won back to back memorial cups is wrong. he isnt just the engine he is the gas that fuels it to. and that is why he will be the next captain. I dont care how eberle talks to the media, Hall is a born leader, and a leader by example. how can you not give a balls out effort when your captain and leader does it night in and night out.

love hall
But he was mean to me at Oil City when I was completely hammered and stalking him!

Old
03-01-2013, 04:32 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
But he was mean to me at Oil City when I was completely hammered and stalking him!
Sounds like he stood up for himself and almost forced you to take a penalty on him.

Old
03-01-2013, 04:38 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Well this suspension is over so I am closing this thread down.

Closed Thread