HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Islanders place DiPietro on Waivers

Old
02-23-2013, 09:38 PM
Doug Gilmour
Leafer Since '95

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Moulson Ale View Post
DP has cleared and the Isles have signed the former Ranger Steve Valiqutte to a PTO according to the Sound Tigers twitter.
Must be insurance for the rest of the season while DiPietro is on IR.

He had a promising future when he was drafted but injuries just killed his career. This move was long overdue for the better of the franchise.

Doug Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 10:02 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Gilmour View Post
Must be insurance for the rest of the season while DiPietro is on IR.

He had a promising future when he was drafted but injuries just killed his career. This move was long overdue for the better of the franchise.
They could have used the accelerated buyout for it instead of risking him getting an injury in the AHL

02-24-2013, 12:30 AM
lakai17

what would old Mike Milbury say.

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 12:33 AM
The Bored Man
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
what would old Mike Milbury say.
He'd blame the Penguins.

The Bored Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:01 AM
Doug Gilmour
Leafer Since '95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
They could have used the accelerated buyout for it instead of risking him getting an injury in the AHL
I understand that, but the contract he is signed to and the fact that he was suppose to be the face of the franchise when he was drafted and signed tells me the buyout isn't in Snow or Wang's gameplan.

Doug Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 12:00 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

DiPietro won the jackpot with that contract. lucky guy (as contradictory as it sounds given his bad luck streak with injuries)

SprootsMasterFlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:47 PM
Teemu

vCash: 200
Yikes

Kevin Maher ‏@KMaherNews12
DiPietro also admitted injuries, losing and fan hatred over the past 3 years made him think about killing himself at one point.

Teemu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:49 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu View Post
Yikes

DiPietro also admitted injuries, losing and fan hatred over the past 3 years made him think about killing himself at one point.
Do the New York Islanders have a psychologist ? They really could use one.

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:53 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Gotta feel bad for the guy even if you expect all players to have thick skin.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:54 PM
The Cat Captain

Quote:
Yikes

yeah

The Cat Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:56 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
Yikes

All he can do is reset, focus and try to get back into form. I can imagine how tough it was on him. You can see the frustration every time hes in the net. I mean getting a concussion for fighting... as a goalie, this should never happen. Let this be his fresh start.

Hopefully someone can help him

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:59 PM
Rickety Cricket

Everyone acts like money would fix everything, but I can't imagine not being able to play a sport I dedicated my life to and having thousands of people disappointed in me.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 01:03 PM
kasper11

I feel bad for him with what he has gone through the past few years.

That said, when I see this comment:
Quote:
DiPietro told me Isles waiving him felt like, "they ripped my heart out, stabbed it, set it on fire and flushed it down the toilet."
https://twitter.com/KMaherNews12/sta...94629890134017

I get pissed off. He is not a capable NHL goaltender right now. The team did him every favor by letting him be the backup for 6 weeks or so. Now, it just seems like he is putting himself and his own needs ahead of the rest of the team.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 01:06 PM
16 To Stanley*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickety Cricket View Post
Everyone acts like money would fix everything, but I can't imagine not being able to play a sport I dedicated my life to and having thousands of people disappointed in me.
Look, i've been very close to depression my whole life, my family, me personally, friends, etc. No matter whether its hockey, money, whatever, a person who suffers from true depression will always hit points that drive them to think about suicide.

While he hasn't had a good go of it at the professional level, he should be extremely proud of all that he accomplished. He has and will have made 10s of millions of dollars playing a sport. He was an NHL All-Star.

Clearly he needs to work on himself and i root for him to get better, no matter my hate for the islanders.

16 To Stanley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 01:07 PM
YP44

I feel terible for him in regaurd to the deth threats and what not so I hope nobody is offended when I ask the following.
If a player is on a 35+ contract and they are killed (hopefully never happens) would their contract still count on the books jsut as if they were retired?
I would hope not, and woudl imagine the NHL and PA would overturn this or make a expception should something like this ever happen.

YP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 01:10 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickety Cricket View Post
Although 30 yr old DiPietro, is not healthy enough to play pro hockey at a high level, he has no major health issues such as a heart aliment, he has a smoking hot wife and financial security for him and his family for generations.

DiPietro really ought to count his blessings.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 01:16 PM
16 To Stanley*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Although 30 yr old DiPietro, is not healthy enough to play pro hockey at a high level, he has no major health issues such as a heart aliment, he has a smoking hot wife and financial security for him and his family for generations.

DiPietro really ought to count his blessings.
Again, money, a hot wife, etc does not cure depression. I have a very good life to people on the outside, yet it is a daily struggle for me to keep my mental health at the point i would hope it to be.

It's a disease, like diabetes, if that make's it easier for you to understand. All the money in the world can't fix it. the best you can do is work to be the best you can be and not let it get the best of you.

Again, i hate the islanders, but i wish the best for dipi and hope he comes out of this mental state on top.

Old
02-28-2013, 01:18 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 129
He speaks to the press about playing in Bridgeport.

http://mobile.newsday.com/inf/infomo...ed:i=1.4724289
"The last couple of years, with all the injuries, if it's taught me anything, it's that I need to enjoy what I do," DiPietro said yesterday after practice at Webster Bank Arena, the Sound Tigers' home. "It's a good opportunity to play a lot of games and get sharp. At the end of the day, you want to compete. You want to win. That's what I want to do."

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 01:19 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I always relate mental illness to a physical injury. Imagine depression as either at it's lower levels a tendonitis or at it's upper levels being hit by a mack truck. You can survive it but it sucks to do that.

In 2010, I buried my fiance the week I was going to be proposing marriage. Next month, dad gets terminal cancer, next month, person you called a friend pleads guilty to a horrible crime.

Some people can bounce back from that. Some are so deeply wounded that they need to climb out of the psychological hole, some lay in it like a grave.

Just like some people can walk around with a broken leg like it's nothing and some feel like they are dying from a splinter in their finger, everyone has a weak point, everyone has a breaking point.

Note Dipietro's career is hockey. He's being paid a lot of money and accepting the responsibility of an important role in his company. he did not live to expectations; he's hearing it from loyal customers, management, and the board of directors. Recently, he's been told he's being let go.

Now relay that to your life and see how you feel.

Plato: Be Kind; Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 01:23 PM
Pointteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 To Stanley View Post
Again, money, a hot wife, etc does not cure depression. I have a very good life to people on the outside, yet it is a daily struggle for me to keep my mental health at the point i would hope it to be.

It's a disease, like diabetes, if that make's it easier for you to understand. All the money in the world can't fix it. the best you can do is work to be the best you can be and not let it get the best of you.

Again, i hate the islanders, but i wish the best for dipi and hope he comes out of this mental state on top.
Unfortunately, people don't understand what depression can do to people. Clinical depression is a serious condition that is often overlooked because of the taboo.

I figured that hockey fans would have been more understanding after Boogard and Rypien.
It's a horrible reality we live in I suppose.

I truly wish DiPietro the best. If he's bought out I'd like to see him as the Oilers backup next year.

Pointteen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 03:12 PM
isles31
Poster Excellont

vCash: 250
He never said he was going to kill himself. The reported took his joke about it being such a rough road that he though about driving into a tree and made it into Rick having suicidal thoughts.

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 03:34 PM
belair

vCash: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by isles31 View Post
He never said he was going to kill himself. The reported took his joke about it being such a rough road that he though about driving into a tree and made it into Rick having suicidal thoughts.
Gotta love how the press can twist your words like that.

I guess Dipietro can look on the bright side and be thankful that they didn't misinterpret his story about him jumping in front of the team bus and it going through his legs.

belair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 04:07 PM
16 To Stanley*

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles31 View Post
Can you post the interview or quotes?