HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Official Bears/NFL Thread #16 - 2013 Offseason edition ‎

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-28-2013, 01:26 PM
  #301
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 13,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
i never said anything about elite tes, just tes who can actually play football. is also funny you mention the patriots and moss because they haven't had a big time speed receiver since and their offense is just fine.

fact is, we have a decent receiving corps, but a bad o line and no te. also gotta start thinking about the future of the defense.

wr should be very low on the list of concerns.
We have 1 proven receiver. I agree we have no TE which is why I said they should take one in the 4th round. I'm not saying take a WR #20 no matter what. I'm saying if you can get a guy that ran a 4.25 40 and put up huge numbers in a major conference, you need to take that guy if he falls to you.

Illinihockey is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 01:29 PM
  #302
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion
 
MurrayBannerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: 219
Country: United States
Posts: 19,937
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
We have 1 proven receiver. I agree we have no TE which is why I said they should take one in the 4th round. I'm not saying take a WR #20 no matter what. I'm saying if you can get a guy that ran a 4.25 40 and put up huge numbers in a major conference, you need to take that guy if he falls to you.
He ran a 4.34. Goodwin ran the best official time at 4.27 and I think he's a late round projection.

MurrayBannerman is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 01:35 PM
  #303
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 13,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
He ran a 4.34. Goodwin ran the best official time at 4.27 and I think he's a late round projection.
Goodwin is a track guy, Austin put up 114 receptions, 1289 yards, and 12 TD's.

Illinihockey is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 01:36 PM
  #304
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
coldsteelonice84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 22,547
vCash: 1948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Goodwin is a track guy, Austin put up 114 receptions, 1289 yards, and 12 TD's.
Yeah...a good receiver with that kind of speed is dangerous.

coldsteelonice84 is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 01:44 PM
  #305
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 13,531
vCash: 500
Also, we'll see what he Austin runs at his pro day. People wanted the Bears to take Kendall Wright last year and he ran a 4.61 at the combine and a 4.43 at his pro day. Austin would smoke Wright in a race and put up much better numbers as a senior in college.

Illinihockey is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 02:23 PM
  #306
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator
 
Blackhawkswincup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Country: United States
Posts: 94,600
vCash: 200
Drafting a WR in round 1 and ignoring the OL would be further indictement that Emery is not cut out for NFL GM position

Blackhawkswincup is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 02:26 PM
  #307
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 13,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Drafting a WR in round 1 and ignoring the OL would be further indictement that Emery is not cut out for NFL GM position
taking a WR in round 1 does not necessarily mean the offensive line would be ignored.

Illinihockey is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 02:35 PM
  #308
Bubba88
Toews = Savior
 
Bubba88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bavaria
Country: Germany
Posts: 22,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Brandon Marshall caught almost all of Cutler's passes last year. Its still a pretty big need, especially with Knox retiring and Hester potentially moving on. Austin returned kicks at WVU as well.
TE/OL/LB > WR as far as our needs go.

We can get a speedy #3 WR with our 4th round pick. I don't like combine hype players

Bubba88 is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 02:42 PM
  #309
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 13,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
I don't like combine hype players
Which Austin is not

Illinihockey is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 04:08 PM
  #310
madgoat33
Registered User
 
madgoat33's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 11,722
vCash: 500
big numbers in a conference that doesn't play defense.

madgoat33 is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 04:11 PM
  #311
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 13,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
big numbers in a conference that doesn't play defense.
And what conference plays defense besides the SEC? There are a lot of really good receivers out there that put up big numbers in conferences outside the SEC.

Illinihockey is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 04:34 PM
  #312
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion
 
MurrayBannerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: 219
Country: United States
Posts: 19,937
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
And what conference plays defense besides the SEC? There are a lot of really good receivers out there that put up big numbers in conferences outside the SEC.
Most of the other power conferences play some form of defense. The B12 plays some sort of smoke screen kind of thing.

MurrayBannerman is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 04:36 PM
  #313
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion
 
MurrayBannerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: 219
Country: United States
Posts: 19,937
vCash: 500
I'd rather get Swope and have a guy who's fit for the slot in a dump off-speed combo role.

MurrayBannerman is offline  
Old
03-01-2013, 12:33 AM
  #314
Bubba88
Toews = Savior
 
Bubba88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bavaria
Country: Germany
Posts: 22,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Which Austin is not
that's true to some extend, but the combine really helped his stock rise

Bubba88 is offline  
Old
03-01-2013, 09:23 AM
  #315
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 13,531
vCash: 500
I loved the latest mock draft on Walterfootball

1st - Tavon Austin (WR - WVU)
2nd - Kyle Long (G/OT - Oregon)
4th - Dion Sims (TE - MSU)
5th - Reid Fragel (OT - tOSU)

Illinihockey is offline  
Old
03-01-2013, 09:32 AM
  #316
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
coldsteelonice84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 22,547
vCash: 1948
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
big numbers in a conference that doesn't play defense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
Most of the other power conferences play some form of defense. The B12 plays some sort of smoke screen kind of thing.
Talent is talent. Tons of elite NFL receivers played for small schools and dominated the NFL with their talent.

coldsteelonice84 is offline  
Old
03-01-2013, 09:47 AM
  #317
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion
 
MurrayBannerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: 219
Country: United States
Posts: 19,937
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Talent is talent. Tons of elite NFL receivers played for small schools and dominated the NFL with their talent.
You also don't evaluate talent based on stats against largely inferior competition.

"Oh, he had a big game against Baylor!" Well so did everyone else.

MurrayBannerman is offline  
Old
03-01-2013, 09:49 AM
  #318
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
coldsteelonice84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 22,547
vCash: 1948
The stats are what they should be but I'm really impressed with his combine. Why wouldn't this guy succeed under an offensive oriented coach with a good QB and an elite receiver to take attention away from him?

coldsteelonice84 is offline  
Old
03-01-2013, 09:53 AM
  #319
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 13,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
You also don't evaluate talent based on stats against largely inferior competition.

"Oh, he had a big game against Baylor!" Well so did everyone else.
His junior year he put up 11 receptions and 187 yards against LSU. 11 for 122 against Maryland (13 for 179 this year), 12 for 123 against Clemson. Its not like he just lights up the Big 12.

Illinihockey is offline  
Old
03-01-2013, 11:06 AM
  #320
madgoat33
Registered User
 
madgoat33's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 11,722
vCash: 500
yea just Maryland and clemson the year they gave up like 10000 pts in a bowl game.

and besides, the point isn't that he won't be a good receiver it's that another receiver improves the team by a smaller amount than an nfl caliber te, ol, lb, etc...

madgoat33 is offline  
Old
03-01-2013, 11:09 AM
  #321
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 13,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
yea just Maryland and clemson the year they gave up like 10000 pts in a bowl game.

and besides, the point isn't that he won't be a good receiver it's that another receiver improves the team by a smaller amount than an nfl caliber te, ol, lb, etc...
Possibly. If you draft a tackle at 20, you are probably getting the 6th or 7th best tackle, if you take a WR you may be getting the best or 2nd best WR. I think its a much safe pick taking Austin than someone like say, DJ Fluker.

Illinihockey is offline  
Old
03-01-2013, 01:50 PM
  #322
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 13,531
vCash: 500
vaughn mcclure‏@vxmcclure23

Bears and Henry Melton still ``on opposite ends of the world'' on a new deal. So, seems like the franchise tag ($8.45 mil) is expected.

Illinihockey is offline  
Old
03-01-2013, 02:08 PM
  #323
Sarava
Moderator
 
Sarava's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 8,017
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
vaughn mcclure‏@vxmcclure23

Bears and Henry Melton still ``on opposite ends of the world'' on a new deal. So, seems like the franchise tag ($8.45 mil) is expected.
You could probably get a haul for him if you trade Melton. But that opens yet another huge hole.

Sarava is offline  
Old
03-01-2013, 02:16 PM
  #324
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 13,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
You could probably get a haul for him if you trade Melton. But that opens yet another huge hole.
I'd trade him in a heartbeat if they could. He's a good, but not great defensive tackle.

Illinihockey is offline  
Old
03-01-2013, 02:20 PM
  #325
Sarava
Moderator
 
Sarava's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 8,017
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
I'd trade him in a heartbeat if they could. He's a good, but not great defensive tackle.
I wouldn't be for it. but if they are miles apart and Emery doesn't see much light at the end of the tunnel, then you gotta do what you gotta do. I would bet that they wouldn't have much trouble getting a first for him.

Sarava is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:38 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.