HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Winger Acquisition Thread | Part VI: Lacking Wingers, "We Lay Waste Our Powers"

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-28-2013, 01:23 PM
  #151
NeedleInTheHay
Registered User
 
NeedleInTheHay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,957
vCash: 500
Despres, Kennedy, 2nd round pick for Bobby Ryan

Ana then uses the money they saved to sign Corey Perry.

Is that close to reasonable?

NeedleInTheHay is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 01:27 PM
  #152
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 14,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedleInTheHay View Post
Despres, Kennedy, 2nd round pick for Bobby Ryan

Ana then uses the money they saved to sign Corey Perry.

Is that close to reasonable?
No it's not.

Shady Machine is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 01:29 PM
  #153
Beauner
Bye Bye Bylsma
 
Beauner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 6,022
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedleInTheHay View Post
Despres, Kennedy, 2nd round pick for Bobby Ryan

Ana then uses the money they saved to sign Corey Perry.

Is that close to reasonable?
No. They're team in the hunt and Ryan might be their only good winger (besides Selanne) if Perry leaves. Anaheim will need a lot more than that.

Beauner is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 01:32 PM
  #154
NeedleInTheHay
Registered User
 
NeedleInTheHay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,957
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg1 View Post
No. They're team in the hunt and Ryan might be their only good winger (besides Selanne) if Perry leaves. Anaheim will need a lot more than that.
What if they get Perry signed to the extension first and it gets bumped up to a 1st rounder?

NeedleInTheHay is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 01:33 PM
  #155
Flat Stanley
Registered User
 
Flat Stanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,436
vCash: 500
How about the Penguins just try for Setoguchi. Keep Bennett on the team, make Kennedy part of the package for Setoguchi (I'm not saying Kennedy's valuable)

Kunitz-Crosby-Setoguchi
Bennett-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis
Glass-Vitale-Adams

Flat Stanley is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 01:35 PM
  #156
NeedleInTheHay
Registered User
 
NeedleInTheHay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,957
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
How about the Penguins just try for Setoguchi. Keep Bennett on the team, make Kennedy part of the package for Setoguchi (I'm not saying Kennedy's valuable)

Kunitz-Crosby-Setoguchi
Bennett-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis
Glass-Vitale-Adams
i'd much rather see them get a better winger for crosby and send kunitz back down to line 2 where they did so much damage together last year

NeedleInTheHay is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 01:36 PM
  #157
IcedCapp
Gambling Alcoholic
 
IcedCapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SIMON DESPRES
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,728
vCash: 500
Bennett can be on the team and be in the top-9 and it won't be a bad thing. I'd like the Pens to have a dangerous 3rd line again, and something like:

Bennett - Sutter - Dupuis would not only be defensively sound, but it would have some sting to it, as well.

I think that's a cup-winning 3rd-line.

IcedCapp is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 01:37 PM
  #158
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 14,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
How about the Penguins just try for Setoguchi. Keep Bennett on the team, make Kennedy part of the package for Setoguchi (I'm not saying Kennedy's valuable)

Kunitz-Crosby-Setoguchi
Bennett-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis
Glass-Vitale-Adams
I'm fine with Seto. That said, I just don't understand why you and a few other posters would rather trade assets for him over Iginla. Even at this stage in his career, Iginla is twice the player Setoguchi is. He had ONE good year and is trending downward. Maybe he just needs to play with an elite center, but I'd rather spend to get the sure thing. IMO we have enough prime assets to get Iginla and not hurt out future.

Shady Machine is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 01:38 PM
  #159
Flat Stanley
Registered User
 
Flat Stanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedleInTheHay View Post
i'd much rather see them get a better winger for crosby and send kunitz back down to line 2 where they did so much damage together last year
Of course, anyone would want better winger for Crosby, but whose to say a better winger is available? Setoguchi is still a good player at a friendly cap hit.

2 weeks ago I would have agreed to move Kunitz to line 2, but I know they want to keep Crosby and Kunitz together and Kunitz is playing well with Crosby.

Flat Stanley is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 01:40 PM
  #160
Flat Stanley
Registered User
 
Flat Stanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
I'm fine with Seto. That said, I just don't understand why you and a few other posters would rather trade assets for him over Iginla. Even at this stage in his career, Iginla is twice the player Setoguchi is. He had ONE good year and is trending downward. Maybe he just needs to play with an elite center, but I'd rather spend to get the sure thing. IMO we have enough prime assets to get Iginla and not hurt out future.
Setoguchi is more of a long term guy, he's a proven goal scorer, I would have 0 doubt he could score 30-35 goals playing on Crosby's RW.

I also don't think Setoguchi would cost as much as Iginla in a trade.

Flat Stanley is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 01:43 PM
  #161
NeedleInTheHay
Registered User
 
NeedleInTheHay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,957
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
Of course, anyone would want better winger for Crosby, but whose to say a better winger is available? Setoguchi is still a good player at a friendly cap hit.

2 weeks ago I would have agreed to move Kunitz to line 2, but I know they want to keep Crosby and Kunitz together and Kunitz is playing well with Crosby.
I would go hard for Ryan or Iginla, a right shot great goal scorer on crosby's line would be insane.

NeedleInTheHay is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 01:45 PM
  #162
UnderratedBrooks44
Registered User
 
UnderratedBrooks44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Miranda's house
Posts: 13,200
vCash: 500
Here's something to ponder: If we got say, Iginla, would we have enough to win a Cup? I honestly think we'd need another deal to elevate ourselves above any other Cup contender.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 01:45 PM
  #163
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 14,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
Setoguchi is more of a long term guy, he's a proven goal scorer, I would have 0 doubt he could bury 30-35 playing on Crosby's RW.

I also don't think Setoguchi would cost as much as Iginla in a trade.
Fair enough. I'd be pleased if he were acquired, just not as much as if we got Iginla.

Shady Machine is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 01:47 PM
  #164
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 14,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
Here's something to ponder: If we got say, Iginla, would we have enough to win a Cup? I honestly think we'd need another deal to elevate ourselves above any other Cup contender.
I mean I guess you still have the "hole" on Geno's left wing, but I feel like a combo of Duper and Bennett would be plenty. This of course is assuming they feel comfortable with Bennett in the playoffs. I have mixed feelings there. But yeah, regardless of who is acquired, I would prefer 2 moves over 1 but it's not likely to happen.

Shady Machine is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 01:48 PM
  #165
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 19,266
vCash: 500
Having a longterm winger corps of Kulemin, Seto, Neal and Bennett would be nasty.

mpp9 is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 01:52 PM
  #166
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 14,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Having a longterm winger corps of Kulemin, Seto, Neal and Bennett would be nasty.
Yeah I do like the looks of that.

Shady Machine is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 01:55 PM
  #167
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor
 
jmelm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
Here's something to ponder: If we got say, Iginla, would we have enough to win a Cup? I honestly think we'd need another deal to elevate ourselves above any other Cup contender.
It depends on the asking price. If the asking price was only non-roster players (i.e. Maatta/Morrow + 1st rounder, just as an example) and we don't lose any players from our team, then yes: we have enough to win the Cup because I believe we are a legitimate contender as we are currently constructed right now, though there is room for improvement.


There is virtually no "perfect" team. Chicago might be the only one that is considered perfect, because they are stacked as hell up front, and additions like Roszival & Oduya, plus the maturation of Leddy has given them a much better defense than last season. (Though you could question their goaltending come playoff time).


Anaheim is also pretty darn good, the way everyone is firing hot at the right time. If they want to make moves, they have the assets to do so (one of Perry/Ryan). But virtually any other "contender" has some wholes in their line-up. The fact of the matter is while we can speculate about certain players the Pens should target, we don't have any proof that those players are actually available, or even if the Pens' brass thinks highly of them (Stewart/Setoguchi/etc), or if they're willing to pay the STEEP asking price (Perry/Iginla). But hold tight -- we'll find out soon enough.

jmelm is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 01:59 PM
  #168
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 19,266
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Yeah I do like the looks of that.
Both Kulemin and Seto being free agents after next season makes it difficult. I could see Kulemin signing for a discount to play in the top 6 of a contender and with a good friend. But if Seto lights it up like I think he could, he'd demand Neal money easily in free agency.

I think Shero goes after someone who's still a RFA.

mpp9 is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 02:02 PM
  #169
WVP
Registered User
 
WVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 13,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
I mean I guess you still have the "hole" on Geno's left wing, but I feel like a combo of Duper and Bennett would be plenty. This of course is assuming they feel comfortable with Bennett in the playoffs. I have mixed feelings there. But yeah, regardless of who is acquired, I would prefer 2 moves over 1 but it's not likely to happen.
Dupuis - Crosby - Iginla
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Bennett
Glass - Vitale - Adams

We really need to see what Beau Bennett is bringing to the table over the next few weeks...

WVP is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 02:03 PM
  #170
plaidchuck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,937
vCash: 500
I see we're going back to obsessing about getting someone who can score 30+ goals. Are we forgetting the team is second in the league in goals scored right now? I would rather go for someone that would be a more two-way version of Kunitz, using the body to make space for the big guns while also covering for defensive lapses that may arise. Now who that would be that's available in the league, I dunno.

plaidchuck is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 02:10 PM
  #171
Cspeirs4
Registered User
 
Cspeirs4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 375
vCash: 500
Saw on trade boards, Bob McKenzie [was rumored to have said on the radio] Perry will not resign in Anaheim and will be a hot commodity at the trade deadline. [No one was able to verify this and McKenzie posted nothing about it on Twitter or TSN.]


Last edited by Darth Vitale: 02-28-2013 at 10:19 PM.
Cspeirs4 is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 02:11 PM
  #172
gordie
Registered User
 
gordie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,737
vCash: 500
Setoguchi is a perimeter player and should be avoided.

gordie is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 02:13 PM
  #173
IcedCapp
Gambling Alcoholic
 
IcedCapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SIMON DESPRES
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
Here's something to ponder: If we got say, Iginla, would we have enough to win a Cup? I honestly think we'd need another deal to elevate ourselves above any other Cup contender.
this is what Kirk and I (and others) have been saying for 5 threads now. We need 2 guys. Keep Bennett here in the top-9 and create 2 "unstoppable" lines - you don't need 2 big name acquisitions, just two top-6 guys - and a good bottom-6. They'd be favorites, barring injuries.

IcedCapp is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 02:13 PM
  #174
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 19,266
vCash: 500
He's going to command sooooooo much money. What Parise got is the low end. Guy's the best winger in the game.

mpp9 is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 02:17 PM
  #175
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson
 
Crafton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 9,575
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Both Kulemin and Seto being free agents after next season makes it difficult. I could see Kulemin signing for a discount to play in the top 6 of a contender and with a good friend. But if Seto lights it up like I think he could, he'd demand Neal money easily in free agency.

I think Shero goes after someone who's still a RFA.
i wonder how close the Kulemin in Toronto situation will come to mirror Jordan Staal's last year here. perhaps there is a measure of wishful thinking, but all signs point to this being the ideal destination for Kulemin if he chooses to test free agency - Staal wanted a bigger role and to play with his brother, Kulemin will probably be on the third-line in Toronto going forward (Lupul/Kessel/JVR/Frattin in the top-six?) and would relish a chance to play with his good friend. it could very well be worth it for Tor to trade him sooner than later.

Crafton is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:45 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.