HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Winger Acquisition Thread | Part VI: Lacking Wingers, "We Lay Waste Our Powers"

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2013, 01:23 PM
NeedleInTheHay

vCash: 500
Despres, Kennedy, 2nd round pick for Bobby Ryan

Ana then uses the money they saved to sign Corey Perry.

Is that close to reasonable?

Old
02-28-2013, 01:27 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedleInTheHay View Post

No it's not.

Old
02-28-2013, 01:29 PM
Beauner
Bye Bye Bylsma

vCash: 50
Quote:

No. They're team in the hunt and Ryan might be their only good winger (besides Selanne) if Perry leaves. Anaheim will need a lot more than that.

Old
02-28-2013, 01:32 PM
NeedleInTheHay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg1 View Post
No. They're team in the hunt and Ryan might be their only good winger (besides Selanne) if Perry leaves. Anaheim will need a lot more than that.
What if they get Perry signed to the extension first and it gets bumped up to a 1st rounder?

Old
02-28-2013, 01:33 PM
Flat Stanley

How about the Penguins just try for Setoguchi. Keep Bennett on the team, make Kennedy part of the package for Setoguchi (I'm not saying Kennedy's valuable)

Kunitz-Crosby-Setoguchi
Bennett-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis
Glass-Vitale-Adams

Old
02-28-2013, 01:35 PM
NeedleInTheHay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
How about the Penguins just try for Setoguchi. Keep Bennett on the team, make Kennedy part of the package for Setoguchi (I'm not saying Kennedy's valuable)

Kunitz-Crosby-Setoguchi
Bennett-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis
Glass-Vitale-Adams
i'd much rather see them get a better winger for crosby and send kunitz back down to line 2 where they did so much damage together last year

Old
02-28-2013, 01:36 PM
IcedCapp
Gambling Alcoholic

Bennett can be on the team and be in the top-9 and it won't be a bad thing. I'd like the Pens to have a dangerous 3rd line again, and something like:

Bennett - Sutter - Dupuis would not only be defensively sound, but it would have some sting to it, as well.

I think that's a cup-winning 3rd-line.

Old
02-28-2013, 01:37 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:

Kunitz-Crosby-Setoguchi
Bennett-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis
Glass-Vitale-Adams
I'm fine with Seto. That said, I just don't understand why you and a few other posters would rather trade assets for him over Iginla. Even at this stage in his career, Iginla is twice the player Setoguchi is. He had ONE good year and is trending downward. Maybe he just needs to play with an elite center, but I'd rather spend to get the sure thing. IMO we have enough prime assets to get Iginla and not hurt out future.

Old
02-28-2013, 01:38 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
i'd much rather see them get a better winger for crosby and send kunitz back down to line 2 where they did so much damage together last year
Of course, anyone would want better winger for Crosby, but whose to say a better winger is available? Setoguchi is still a good player at a friendly cap hit.

2 weeks ago I would have agreed to move Kunitz to line 2, but I know they want to keep Crosby and Kunitz together and Kunitz is playing well with Crosby.

Old
02-28-2013, 01:40 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
I'm fine with Seto. That said, I just don't understand why you and a few other posters would rather trade assets for him over Iginla. Even at this stage in his career, Iginla is twice the player Setoguchi is. He had ONE good year and is trending downward. Maybe he just needs to play with an elite center, but I'd rather spend to get the sure thing. IMO we have enough prime assets to get Iginla and not hurt out future.
Setoguchi is more of a long term guy, he's a proven goal scorer, I would have 0 doubt he could score 30-35 goals playing on Crosby's RW.

I also don't think Setoguchi would cost as much as Iginla in a trade.

Old
02-28-2013, 01:43 PM
NeedleInTheHay

Quote:
Of course, anyone would want better winger for Crosby, but whose to say a better winger is available? Setoguchi is still a good player at a friendly cap hit.

2 weeks ago I would have agreed to move Kunitz to line 2, but I know they want to keep Crosby and Kunitz together and Kunitz is playing well with Crosby.
I would go hard for Ryan or Iginla, a right shot great goal scorer on crosby's line would be insane.

Old
02-28-2013, 01:45 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Here's something to ponder: If we got say, Iginla, would we have enough to win a Cup? I honestly think we'd need another deal to elevate ourselves above any other Cup contender.

Old
02-28-2013, 01:45 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Setoguchi is more of a long term guy, he's a proven goal scorer, I would have 0 doubt he could bury 30-35 playing on Crosby's RW.

I also don't think Setoguchi would cost as much as Iginla in a trade.
Fair enough. I'd be pleased if he were acquired, just not as much as if we got Iginla.

Old
02-28-2013, 01:47 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
Here's something to ponder: If we got say, Iginla, would we have enough to win a Cup? I honestly think we'd need another deal to elevate ourselves above any other Cup contender.
I mean I guess you still have the "hole" on Geno's left wing, but I feel like a combo of Duper and Bennett would be plenty. This of course is assuming they feel comfortable with Bennett in the playoffs. I have mixed feelings there. But yeah, regardless of who is acquired, I would prefer 2 moves over 1 but it's not likely to happen.

Old
02-28-2013, 01:48 PM
mpp9

Having a longterm winger corps of Kulemin, Seto, Neal and Bennett would be nasty.

Old
02-28-2013, 01:52 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Having a longterm winger corps of Kulemin, Seto, Neal and Bennett would be nasty.
Yeah I do like the looks of that.

Old
02-28-2013, 01:55 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
It depends on the asking price. If the asking price was only non-roster players (i.e. Maatta/Morrow + 1st rounder, just as an example) and we don't lose any players from our team, then yes: we have enough to win the Cup because I believe we are a legitimate contender as we are currently constructed right now, though there is room for improvement.

There is virtually no "perfect" team. Chicago might be the only one that is considered perfect, because they are stacked as hell up front, and additions like Roszival & Oduya, plus the maturation of Leddy has given them a much better defense than last season. (Though you could question their goaltending come playoff time).

Anaheim is also pretty darn good, the way everyone is firing hot at the right time. If they want to make moves, they have the assets to do so (one of Perry/Ryan). But virtually any other "contender" has some wholes in their line-up. The fact of the matter is while we can speculate about certain players the Pens should target, we don't have any proof that those players are actually available, or even if the Pens' brass thinks highly of them (Stewart/Setoguchi/etc), or if they're willing to pay the STEEP asking price (Perry/Iginla). But hold tight -- we'll find out soon enough.

Old
02-28-2013, 01:59 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Yeah I do like the looks of that.
Both Kulemin and Seto being free agents after next season makes it difficult. I could see Kulemin signing for a discount to play in the top 6 of a contender and with a good friend. But if Seto lights it up like I think he could, he'd demand Neal money easily in free agency.

I think Shero goes after someone who's still a RFA.

Old
02-28-2013, 02:02 PM
WVP

Quote:
I mean I guess you still have the "hole" on Geno's left wing, but I feel like a combo of Duper and Bennett would be plenty. This of course is assuming they feel comfortable with Bennett in the playoffs. I have mixed feelings there. But yeah, regardless of who is acquired, I would prefer 2 moves over 1 but it's not likely to happen.
Dupuis - Crosby - Iginla
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Bennett
Glass - Vitale - Adams

We really need to see what Beau Bennett is bringing to the table over the next few weeks...

Old
02-28-2013, 02:03 PM
plaidchuck

I see we're going back to obsessing about getting someone who can score 30+ goals. Are we forgetting the team is second in the league in goals scored right now? I would rather go for someone that would be a more two-way version of Kunitz, using the body to make space for the big guns while also covering for defensive lapses that may arise. Now who that would be that's available in the league, I dunno.

Old
02-28-2013, 02:10 PM
Cspeirs4

Saw on trade boards, Bob McKenzie [was rumored to have said on the radio] Perry will not resign in Anaheim and will be a hot commodity at the trade deadline. [No one was able to verify this and McKenzie posted nothing about it on Twitter or TSN.]

Last edited by Darth Vitale: 02-28-2013 at 10:19 PM.
Old
02-28-2013, 02:11 PM
gordie

Setoguchi is a perimeter player and should be avoided.

Old
02-28-2013, 02:13 PM
IcedCapp
Gambling Alcoholic

Quote:
this is what Kirk and I (and others) have been saying for 5 threads now. We need 2 guys. Keep Bennett here in the top-9 and create 2 "unstoppable" lines - you don't need 2 big name acquisitions, just two top-6 guys - and a good bottom-6. They'd be favorites, barring injuries.

Old
02-28-2013, 02:13 PM
mpp9

He's going to command sooooooo much money. What Parise got is the low end. Guy's the best winger in the game.

Old
02-28-2013, 02:17 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Both Kulemin and Seto being free agents after next season makes it difficult. I could see Kulemin signing for a discount to play in the top 6 of a contender and with a good friend. But if Seto lights it up like I think he could, he'd demand Neal money easily in free agency.

I think Shero goes after someone who's still a RFA.
i wonder how close the Kulemin in Toronto situation will come to mirror Jordan Staal's last year here. perhaps there is a measure of wishful thinking, but all signs point to this being the ideal destination for Kulemin if he chooses to test free agency - Staal wanted a bigger role and to play with his brother, Kulemin will probably be on the third-line in Toronto going forward (Lupul/Kessel/JVR/Frattin in the top-six?) and would relish a chance to play with his good friend. it could very well be worth it for Tor to trade him sooner than later.

Closed Thread