HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Manny Malhotra speaks for the first time after the team put him on IR

Old
02-28-2013, 02:06 PM
s2kboi

vCash: 500
Manny Malhotra speaks for the first time after the team put him on IR

On TSN
* Manny practices with the team today
* Speaks to the media for the first time after the team put him on IR
* Questions Gillis' decision
* Does not agree with Gillis' concern to his health
* Does not rule out playing again after this season

Link

Discuss

Last edited by s2kboi: 02-28-2013 at 02:22 PM.
s2kboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 02:08 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2kboi View Post
* Does not think the decision has to do with his eye injury/condition
Uhhhh... he said that he doesn't question that the decision has to do with that. He just disagees with Gillis about his safety.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 02:10 PM
parabola
༼ つ ಥ_ಥ ༽つỏ̷͖͈̞̩͎̻̫̫

I like Manny, but lets be honest, his eye is really ****ed up and he hasn't been great this year.

parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 02:10 PM
coastal_nuck

Yeah I think the interview specifically stated that he does not question Gillis' decision. Don't write something for the sake of stirring up conversation.

coastal_nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 02:14 PM
canuck4life16
stanleycupchamps2015

vCash: 50
stilll think with his one eye would be better ebbert........Malholtra can still take FO which is important

canuck4life16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 02:17 PM
Wheatley
We Rabite You

Manny needs to take a look in the mirror.

That eye is ****ed.

Wheatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 02:17 PM
Just another pawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Uhhhh... he said that he doesn't question that the decision has to do with that. He just disagees with Gillis about his safety.
You posted this in the other thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
He also said that he had no doubt that Gillis did it for his safety and not because of Kesler coming back. Said he always feels treated with utmost respect, etc. and that he knows Gillis cares for his future rather than just thinking about the hockey club.

Did anyone expect anything different though? These guys are willing to have their fingers amputated to play. They're never going to admit they're in danger.
Agree, in the end Gillis did what was best for the hockey club; and Malhotra can prep for life after hockey. I doubt many NHL teams would be interested in his services anyways.

Just another pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 03:02 PM
Grumbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just another pawn View Post
Agree, in the end Gillis did what was best for the hockey club; and Malhotra can prep for life after hockey. I doubt many NHL teams would be interested in his services anyways.
End of story.

Grumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 03:09 PM
Wizeman*

you have to ask yourself, what if something happened to the other eye. There is no way any NHL team should allow that chance and if they did, Malholtra's family could sue .

Manny is a hockey player. Its his passion and love. He is not of sound mind when it comes to making this decision. Its Gillis' , AV and the doctors responsibility to make sure the guy does not go blind.

They made the decision. And I am certain the memo went out to all the other NHL teams.

I think the Canucks are waiting for Manny to go through the grief and loss first stage of denial and then keep him as a scout or start coaching in the system.

Wizeman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 03:25 PM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

vCash: 5100
He's not been playing well, but I'd hardly say he's at risk because of it. Technically speaking IR is the wrong move. Although it's definitely preferable to waiving him, that's for sure.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 03:25 PM
Grub
First Line Troll

vCash: 883
No sympathy for Manny Malhotra whatsoever. Especially when he calls out management like that.

Why?

Management could have simply waived him. Instead Gillis decided to still pay him and keep him rather then sending him down to the minors or what other place.

No sympathy. To comfortable... that's what these players are becoming, to comfortable.... Maybe your performance was not up to par Malhotra?

Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 03:27 PM
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
He's not been playing well, but I'd hardly say he's at risk because of it. Technically speaking IR is the wrong move. Although it's definitely preferable to waiving him, that's for sure.
I don't think he was cut because of poor play, It was more fear he would get blind sided by a massive hit he cant see coming.

Stories Tales Lies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 03:37 PM
Cocoa Crisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grub View Post
No sympathy for Manny Malhotra whatsoever. Especially when he calls out management like that.

Why?

Management could have simply waived him. Instead Gillis decided to still pay him and keep him rather then sending him down to the minors or what other place.

No sympathy. To comfortable... that's what these players are becoming, to comfortable.... Maybe your performance was not up to par Malhotra?
It's their dream to play in the best league in the world, not to collect a hefty paycheck whilst hanging out with the guys at practice.

There are two ways to interpret what happened: 1) Gillis shut him down for the season unilaterally, nullifying the possibility of waivers or 2) Gillis and Manny talked about waivers, Manny figured given his caphit he wouldn't be claimed and would therefore be playing for the Wolves (not his dream).

Either way, I feel for Manny. It was a freak accident, just as he was establishing himself as one of the best shutdown guys in the league and living up to his high draft status.

Cocoa Crisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 03:40 PM
Proto

Quote:

Why?

This is exceptionally ridiculous.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 03:41 PM
Grub
First Line Troll

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoa Crisp View Post
It's their dream to play in the best league in the world, not to collect a hefty paycheck whilst hanging out with the guys at practice.

There are two ways to interpret what happened: 1) Gillis shut him down for the season unilaterally, nullifying the possibility of waivers or 2) Gillis and Manny talked about waivers, Manny figured given his caphit he wouldn't be claimed and would therefore be playing for the Wolves (not his dream).

Either way, I feel for Manny. It was a freak accident, just as he was establishing himself as one of the best shutdown guys in the league and living up to his high draft status.
The guy is still getting paid his 2.5 million instead of being waived to the wolves. The decent thing he should do is just keep quiet about it.

Just my opinion that's all. In my opinion the Canucks have treated him more then fairly. I feel bad that he suffered that freak injury, but calling out management for a more than generous predicament
is uncalled for.

Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 03:42 PM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

vCash: 5100
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallPoppySyndrome View Post
I don't think he was cut because of poor play, It was more fear he would get blind sided by a massive hit he cant see coming.
While his eye-injury probably affected his coordination, I don't think it makes any difference as to him keeping his head up or ability to see a 6-foot 200 pound player barreling at him.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 03:47 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
The guy is still getting paid his 2.5 million instead of being waived to the wolves. The decent thing he should do is just keep quiet about it.

Just my opinion that's all. In my opinion the Canucks have treated him more then fairly. I feel bad that he suffered that freak injury, but calling out management for a more than generous predicament
is uncalled for.
You realize he would be paid $2.5M even if he was waived to the wolves, right?

02-28-2013, 03:51 PM
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations

Quote:
While his eye-injury probably affected his coordination, I don't think it makes any difference as to him keeping his head up or ability to see a 6-foot 200 pound player barreling at him.
That,s just how I interpreted when MG said that it was about Mannys safety and I dose not matter how big the object is if you cant see out half of one eye, that's why they have invented these

To help see this

Stories Tales Lies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 04:06 PM
Fat Tony

Quote:

is uncalled for.
He gets paid either way. Getting waived to the AHL means he's still an active player. Being on the IR means he's barred from playing. The guy wants to earn his pay.

I don't think he should be playing but your opinion is little off.

Fat Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 04:13 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

I saw Manny on Tuesday, and his eye did not look good. Looked even worse than the last time I saw him (the first open practice in January).

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 04:14 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
I saw Manny on Tuesday, and his eye did not look good. Looked even worse than the last time I saw him (the first open practice in January).
In that TSN clip it looks worse than it did last season. I'm not convinced he can see as much out of it as he claims.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 04:17 PM
David71

gillis did whats best for manny. his health his eye. life after hockey. hes not gonna play i think next season retire.

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 04:17 PM
Fat Tony

Quote:
I don't know how reliable this is but the word is that it takes Manny far too long to get his bearings after a hit. The injury affected more than just his vision.

Fat Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 04:23 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
look straight ahead, work out how far left you can see with peripheral vision

Put your hand over you left eye.

It does matter, it's not just skaters, it's pucks and sticks. And all that before the risk to the right eye.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 04:32 PM
Chubros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post
you have to ask yourself, what if something happened to the other eye. There is no way any NHL team should allow that chance and if they did, Malholtra's family could sue .

Manny is a hockey player. Its his passion and love. He is not of sound mind when it comes to making this decision. Its Gillis' , AV and the doctors responsibility to make sure the guy does not go blind.

They made the decision. And I am certain the memo went out to all the other NHL teams.

I think the Canucks are waiting for Manny to go through the grief and loss first stage of denial and then keep him as a scout or start coaching in the system.
Malhotra was cleared by team doctors to play over a year ago. There is no way that the team would be liable for another injury.

It's gillis's stated opinion that it is unsafe for malhotra to play, but it is not based on anything substantive. The fact that gillis allowed manny to play more than a full season before shutting him down, along with the timing, which coincided with the return of kesler and booth, makes it pretty obvious that gillis's stated justification is not his true motive.

If malhotra filed a grievance with the PA, I'm sure he'd be put on active status. Then he'd probably be waived, but maybe not with kesler hurt again.

Chubros is offline   Reply With Quote