HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

DiPietro Discussion Thread Part III

Old
02-28-2013, 02:12 PM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
i still dont want to see him back up here again. its a ****ing circus and itll only happen again. hell come up, slightly healthy, play a few games, maybe be 500, then hurt something, miss time, and back to square one we go. he needs to accept his fate.....and his neverending paycheck that should keep him happy. hes lucky this albatross of a contract is allowing him to play somewhere. because any other team wouldve severed ties and hed be selling pretzels from a shopping cart outside the mausoleum.

åboriginal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 02:13 PM
nyisles

Send a message via ICQ to nyisles Send a message via AIM to nyisles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
Completely agree.. If its gotten to that point with Rickey then move on bro. You've got enough money find a new passion and spend the rest of your days relaxing. Heavy stuff indeed.
Exactly, if being unable to play at a high level and dealing with heat from the fans is enough to make him suicidal then he needs to find a new passion. It's been clear for awhile that he's never gonna be an NHL star again, and enough fans have soured on him that sticking around is not going to help his case.

Factoring in the money he made before signing Wang's ridiculous deal, the guy has grossed at least $35 million while barely having to play. In the grand scheme, his future is exceptionally bright... invest some of that money wisely, take up a cushy job in broadcasting, and he'll be living high off the hog for the rest of his days.

02-28-2013, 02:15 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo Stanfield View Post
Okay, NOW I feel bad....

@KMaherNews12 https://twitter.com/KMaherNews12/sta...96053118152705
I wouldn't feel bad.

He could've walked away from his 4.5 million / year and went to pursue something else at any time.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 02:29 PM
Macch

Few thoughts...

I feel bad that it's come to this for Rick. He gave his all for the isles. Not his fault he was handed an insane contract that ANYONE would have taken.

This move sending him to BP was not personal. Everyone could see he couldn't help the team anymore.

I wouldn't want him around our prospects if he feels this strongly. The isles should do the right thing, buy him out and let him pursue other opportunities.

Macch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 02:32 PM
nyiguy21
Poster of the Decade

I always felt bad that the fans booed him. He always could've retired due to injury and taken most of the money from this contract and lived a nice life, but he wanted to play hockey. The guy bleeds orange and blue and loved this franchise. The way the fans turned on him is crazy. It's not his fault he got injured. All along we should've been booing Wang for forcing his GM's to offer that contract and we should've been booing management too.

nyiguy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 02:45 PM
Volek25

Send a message via AIM to Volek25
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyiguy21 View Post
I always felt bad that the fans booed him. He always could've retired due to injury and taken most of the money from this contract and lived a nice life, but he wanted to play hockey. The guy bleeds orange and blue and loved this franchise. The way the fans turned on him is crazy. It's not his fault he got injured. All along we should've been booing Wang for forcing his GM's to offer that contract and we should've been booing management too.
1oo% this

Volek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 02:47 PM
redbull
2k17

DiPietro's symbolic of the inept organization, so he gets all the hate. You bet I feel sorry for him BUT mostly for the way he's been treated by the team since he's gotten hurt. Completely mismanaged.

DP would have zero hate if he'd been allowed to heal (and not lied to over 3-4-5 years about how bad his injuries were), allowed to get his game back by proving himself in the AHL, getting his game back if that was even possible.

They set him up for disappointment.

Nobody would have any ill will towards a guy who has a great start to his career. Loves the team. Loves the city. Works hard to recover from injury to injury and is allowed to TRY and get his game back.

To ignore him in the media, to have him linger in the background while clearly not playing well, just sets him up for ridicule.

Yet another example of the organization's extreme ineptitude.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 02:58 PM
Bunk Moreland

Staple says the islanders will address DP's comment shortly.. The comments have been floated everywhere with many national writers commenting on twitter.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 02:59 PM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
Staple says the islanders will address DP's comment shortly.. The comments have been floated everywhere with many national writers commenting on twitter.
It's Ricky, the Isles have to respond to this. Should be interesting.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 03:02 PM
JTforPres2012

The reporter tweeted he was disgraced by many Islanders' fans reactions to his interview.

We all know that true fans feel genuinely bad for this guy. We all know that he's been trying to get back and his contract wasn't his fault.

The fans with the moronic comments are the same fans that booed DP on opening night, no knowledge fans who couldn't tell you two things about the Isles.

JTforPres2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 03:03 PM
IslesRock4
Ever Forward

He said in an article last summer that at times he thought about veering off a bridge and ending it. No one said anything back then, but now everyone is freaking out because he brought that up again?

IslesRock4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 03:10 PM
Mustang2750*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTforPres2012 View Post
The reporter tweeted he was disgraced by many Islanders' fans reactions to his interview.

We all know that true fans feel genuinely bad for this guy. We all know that he's been trying to get back and his contract wasn't his fault.

The fans with the moronic comments are the same fans that booed DP on opening night, no knowledge fans who couldn't tell you two things about the Isles.
Im sorry you feel that way. To me the "no knowledge fans who couldn't tell you two things about the isles" are the ones who actually like DP, cheer for him, buy his jerseys. Any "real" fan knows he is one of the worst things to happen to this organization and contract or not they realize he is literally one of the worst goalies in the NHL.

I m a HUGE fan and probably know more about the Isles and hockey than 90% of the people here and you can bet your ass I boo'd him loudly on opening night. The real fans did. The fake fans cheered.

Mustang2750* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 03:11 PM
Backhand of Justice
Casey Zeeky

Things haven't been good for Rick. You can tell he's depressed with everything he's been through. People who say they don't feel bad for him because he earns 4.5 mill a year are just ignorant. Money doesn't make happiness. He's been scrutinized all the time, for what? Accepting a contract that's impossible to refuse? Sickening how fans have treated him. I really hope he moves on and seeks help if he still has these feelings. Cheer up Rick.

Backhand of Justice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 03:12 PM
Ghost Of Palffy

@BrettCyrgalis Rick DiPietro on report that he has contemplated suicide: "100 percent" facetious in interview with @KMaherNews12

Brett Cyrgalis ‏@BrettCyrgalis DP: "I’m just trying to bring light to fact of how important my wife has been. It’s been a trying last couple years." (cont.) #Isles

Brett Cyrgalis ‏@BrettCyrgalis DP: "There have been times that I've been depressed, and I don't know where I'd be without the support of my wife." #Isles

So it sounds like Maher from News 12 was trying to pimp his story by using DiPietro's mental health as a vehicle.

Ghost Of Palffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 03:13 PM
seabass45

Patrick Burke has some good thoughts on this: https://twitter.com/BurkieYCP

seabass45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 03:17 PM
IslesRock4
Ever Forward

So he was joking about it? That's really going to win back the fans.

IslesRock4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 03:21 PM
Ghost Of Palffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
Eh I blame this Maher guy for the way he's been presenting and spinning this story on twitter.

Ghost Of Palffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

Quote:
To be fair, I think the interviewer had more to do with this than Ricky. While he may have been 'kidding', there could be a kernel or truth to things. It certainly hasn't been easy for him and it wouldn't surprise me if he really felt that way.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bunk Moreland

Quote:
Ricky's gonna get slaughtered for this.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 03:22 PM
DerekJR321

I seriously doubt DP contemplated suicide over this.

I know the guy loves the Islanders.. and yeah I would sure as hell rather hear a "DP" chant rather than boo's. The only time I would ever boo the Islanders is if they were doing terrible (as they did at the Hurricanes game the other day). But I would never boo a player directly (an Islanders player that is) because I love this team.

I think its sad that he's gotten this worn out. And I sincerely do hope he can get back into it and do well with the Sound Tigers. But being a realist.. I just don't see it happening. He's too beat up. It's not his fault. He didn't do it on purpose. I think he was mismanaged health wise.

But there ain't much you can do now. Nabby is the top guy for us and we need to move on, and get him some backup. I don't think Poulin is the guy for the job right now. He's a roller coaster.

I do feel bad for Rick.. I never had any animosity towards him. Towards Snow and Wang.. sure. At the end of the day THEY are the ones to blame.

DerekJR321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 03:24 PM
JeffNYI

Quote:
Wait for context before typing out posts on life topics like this.

He basically just said that without his wife, he'd have a lot less to live for..

I can guarantee you that you've had the same kind of thoughts.. everyone does at some point in their lives..

JeffNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 03:37 PM
Rubber Biscuit

From Joe Haggerty who covers the Bruins:

Quote:
Joe Haggerty ‏@HackswithHaggs
FYI, DiPietro said he was joking about "driving into a tree" and a reporter twisted it into him having suicidal thoughts. Hence the tweet

Rubber Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 03:43 PM
seabass45

And now Garth jumps in: http://islanders.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=657955

seabass45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 03:45 PM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

Honestly, I never believed a word of it when I read it. So I didn't really want to comment on it, because frankly I had nothing nice or sympathetic to say.

I'm sure a lot of it has to do with Ricks dark sense of humor, I have the same sense of humor infact. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with the reporter not getting the story right. Either way, happy Rick isn't having/had a breakdown or something.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 03:47 PM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass45 View Post
and as long as Nilsson is on the shelf, Rick can get all the games for the Soundtigers. But once Anders is healthy, and especially if Rick is struggling, which I expect he will, then he has to be the backup.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote