HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Caps Claim LW Aaron Volpatti

Old
02-28-2013, 01:34 PM
RandyHolt
Keep Truckin

vCash: 2743
Bigger than the pickup itself, is the recognition of a team weakness by George

I hope he sends a player packing to send a message to the rest

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 01:35 PM
g00n
abides

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Bigger than the pickup itself, is the recognition of a team weakness by George

I hope he sends a player packing to send a message to the rest
Wolski or Crabb?

could be worth a poll

g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 01:37 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
Perfect solution logical fallacy. If you have to invoke the worst and most cowardly cheap shot artists to make a point, you're probably reaching.

What ARE you going to do about guys like that? Beat them with your power play, like GMGM said? What happens when your PP fails, or your guys keep getting injured from cheap shots from all kinds of players throughout the league, as we saw before with this team?

Plus, if you've got an enforcer that isn't a cog in the rest of your strategies (unlike an Erskine who's more of a stay at home D that fights, and is needed in the lineup) other teams will know you have a guy who will probably take a suspension to deliver a message. You have a guy who knows he may be called on to do something nasty, and the other team knows it, too. And it has nothing to do with scripted fights between heavyweights.
You realize I said I thought it was a good move, right? I was reacting to the idea that it will protect Green. (Although Green mostly gets hit on clean plays anyway.)

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 01:43 PM
marcel snapshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
It may work in the sense that it gives the team more confidence. It may keep Zac Rinaldo from doing something. There's no reason for it to work as a deterrent on a player like Rene Bourque. Why would Bourque be worried about a player he knows is irrelevant to him?
Because if Bourque wouldn't fight Volpatti, someone on his team would have to - and Bourque would have to be accountable to the teammate who had to take a punch from Volpatti in order to answer for Bourque's antics. And you can bet that sort of internal accountability (and its potential impact in the locker room) makes guys think about the consequences of taking liberties. Guys hated to play with Sean Avery, because someone else always had to answer for his crap.

The word has been out for a while on our team - you can take shots at Green or Nicky or Semin when he was here, and not worry at all about you or anyone else having to answer for it. I don't think GMGM ever adequately appreciated what Brash did for our skill guys (even though he was smart enough to go out and get him) and he's never adequately filled that hole.

Everyone remembers the Brash/Sutherby/et. al. mauling game in response to Andy Sutton a few years ago, but there was another Thrashers game further back when someone on the Thrashers cheap-shotted a skill guy (Gonch maybe, or Dahlen), and as soon the puck dropped after the whistle Konowalchuk just attacked Andrew Brunette. It was a mauling and a message - we have got to have more of that kind of jam in the lineup.

marcel snapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 01:44 PM
g00n
abides

Quote:
You realize I said I thought it was a good move, right? I was reacting to the idea that it will protect Green. (Although Green mostly gets hit on clean plays anyway.)

And? My statements address, in detail, your contention that it's "absurd" that Green will benefit from an enforcer.

Old
02-28-2013, 01:45 PM
Dr John Carlson
Emotional Boys 2001

vCash: 50
I'm cautious. When we signed Crabb, Leafs fans said that we'd love him. We saw how that has turned out. I'll hold my judgement until he plays.

Dr John Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 01:46 PM
g00n
abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel snapshot View Post
Because if Bourque wouldn't fight Volpatti, someone on his team would have to - and Bourque would have to be accountable to the teammate who had to take a punch from Volpatti in order to answer for Bourque's antics. And you can bet that sort of internal accountability (and its potential impact in the locker room) makes guys think about the consequences of taking liberties. Guys hated to play with Sean Avery, because someone else always had to answer for his crap.

The word has been out for a while on our team - you can take shots at Green or Nicky or Semin when he was here, and not worry at all about you or anyone else having to answer for it. I don't think GMGM ever adequately appreciated what Brash did for our skill guys (even though he was smart enough to go out and get him) and he's never adequately filled that hole.

Everyone remembers the Brash/Sutherby/et. al. mauling game in response to Andy Sutton a few years ago, but there was another Thrashers game further back when someone on the Thrashers cheap-shotted a skill guy (Gonch maybe, or Dahlen), and as soon the puck dropped after the whistle Konowalchuk just attacked Andrew Brunette. It was a mauling and a message - we have got to have more of that kind of jam in the lineup.

Bingo.

Old
02-28-2013, 01:48 PM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel snapshot View Post

I agree with you. But one guy willing to stand up for the team isn't going to make any difference. We need a few more guys with that mentality.

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 01:50 PM
AlexBrovechkin8
La Flama Blanca

Would you guys prefer he replaces Wolski or Crabb? Both are all kinds of useless out there. If Laich and MoJo can get healthy I'd like to see

Laich-Ribs-Ovechkin
MoJo-Backstrom-Brouwer
Fehr-Perrault-Ward
Volpatti-Beagle-Hendricks

Scratches: Chimera, Crabb, Wolski

AlexBrovechkin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 01:52 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
I agree with you. But one guy willing to stand up for the team isn't going to make any difference. We need a few more guys with that mentality.
Yeah, basically. Enforcers are paid to be enforcers, and I don't think Rene Bourque cares that he's making his earn his job when he makes a questionable hit. This move is a step in the right direction, but the soft attitude that pervades the roster is the real problem.

Old
02-28-2013, 01:53 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBrovechkin8 View Post
Would you guys prefer he replaces Wolski or Crabb? Both are all kinds of useless out there. If Laich and MoJo can get healthy I'd like to see

Laich-Ribs-Ovechkin
MoJo-Backstrom-Brouwer
Fehr-Perrault-Ward
Volpatti-Beagle-Hendricks

Scratches: Chimera, Crabb, Wolski
It'll be interesting to see whom they dump off the roster to make room once/if everyone is healthy.

Old
02-28-2013, 01:55 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

The big winner here? Hendricks' helmet.

Zoidberg Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 01:56 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

bench crabb and keep wolski in hoping he can maybe play well enough to get us a pick at the deadline.

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 01:58 PM
AlexBrovechkin8
La Flama Blanca

Wolski looks worse than Crabb to me. We knew Crabb was a 4th liner, 3rd line tweener at best. Wolski was supposed to rejuvinate his career this year now that he's finally healthy. He's been worse than terrible outside of that 1st Philly game.

AlexBrovechkin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 02:00 PM
CrashTheNet9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBrovechkin8 View Post
Wolski looks worse than Crabb to me. We knew Crabb was a 4th liner, 3rd line tweener at best. Wolski was supposed to rejuvinate his career this year now that he's finally healthy. He's been worse than terrible outside of that 1st Philly game.
If you do that then who plays on the non-4th line? Crabb or Volpatti?

CrashTheNet9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 02:00 PM
foundhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjay13 View Post
Hopefully this is a Crabb replacement.
Yeah, was thinking the same thing.

foundhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 02:01 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg Jesus View Post
The big winner here? Hendricks' helmet.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 02:02 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

How's Mitchell looking down in Hershey? Wouldn't mind getting him on a line with this dude and Beagle at some point. That's a 4th line I could dig.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 02:05 PM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Yeah, basically. Enforcers are paid to be enforcers, and I don't think Rene Bourque cares that he's making his earn his job when he makes a questionable hit. This move is a step in the right direction, but the soft attitude that pervades the roster is the real problem.
I forgot what game I was watching a few days ago but someone got boarded and pretty much the entire team wanted a piece of the guy who made the hit.

When Big John got boarded a couple of games ago there wasn't a single guy willing to do or even say anything to the Hurricane that did it.

wtf.

Old
02-28-2013, 02:08 PM
marcel snapshot

Quote:
Quote:
This move is a step in the right direction, but the soft attitude that pervades the roster is the real problem.
Agree with both of these statements. Good teams are close-knit, and close-knit teams stand up for each other. That's what's unsettling about what happened last night. One of MattyP's strengths is his confidence with the puck - even if Oates was right and he shouldn't have been dangling 3 guys with his head down (all true), he's gonna feel less tentative if he knows that if he gets tattooed the other guys aren't just gonna stay around and ask him if he's OK.

The thing is McPhee knows all this - he was a very honest (and obviously very tough) player. He just seems to be clinging to this mind-set that it's still post-lockout 2005, and the Cup can be won with skill and without physicality. But the speedy 2006 and 2007 Buffalo Sabres never won a cup (never made the finals), but Brian Burke and Randy Carlyle's Ducks did.

Anway good on him for going to get a Brown guy who will stand up for his 'mates.

marcel snapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 02:10 PM
RandyHolt
Keep Truckin

vCash: 2743
You know what having a goon or some crazy in the lineup does?

No, he will not become Green's personal body guard. They are rarely on the ice together.

AV Pacquette, Mitchell, they distract the other team. The guy going after Green may have his attention turned to one of his own guys. We go after their soft noodle on their defense, how is that for a new plan.

Sometimes a good defense is a good offense. Bruce knows what I am talking about.

Its all a part of the bigger picture, being more difficult to play against.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 02:11 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

While I dig picking up a gritty player with some balls, I don't really buy Volpatti as an "enforcer." Sure, he'll scrap and can actually win a fight, but he's not a heavyweight. He's certainly not an enforcer in the vein of someone like Brashear.

I am pleased that Crabb should be on the bench now. AV doesn't really impact Wolski, they're playing completely different roles. If we picked up Mursak (still a little puzzled why we didn't) off of waivers a few days ago, then Wolski (and Chimera) would have been in trouble.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 02:15 PM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
You know what having a goon or some crazy in the lineup does?

No, he will not become Green's personal body guard. They are rarely on the ice together.

AV Pacquette, Mitchell, they distract the other team. The guy going after Green may have his attention turned to one of his own guys. We go after their soft noodle on their defense, how is that for a new plan.

Sometimes a good defense is a good offense. Bruce knows what I am talking about.

Its all a part of the bigger picture, being more difficult to play against.
Then we need to go for a true goon, and I'm not sure Volpatti is that.

Other teams didn't F with us when Brash was here, 'coz Brash did not give a flying ****. You tried to mess with our superstars, he was coming after you. He would do whatever it takes - sucker punches, getting thrown out, all kinds of questionable crap. And I loved it. And thats probably what we need.

Old
02-28-2013, 02:19 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
Then we need to go for a true goon, and I'm not sure Volpatti is that.

Other teams didn't F with us when Brash was here, 'coz Brash did not give a flying ****. You tried to messed with our superstars, he was coming after you. He would do whatever it takes - sucker punches, getting thrown out, all kinds of questionable crap. And I loved it. And thats probably what we need.
What you say maybe true but RH makes a good point too.

The more "crazy" on the team the better. Every little bit counts. If we can't find an enforcer then have 3 or 4 guys like Hendricks is a good pack tactic.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 02:21 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

I'd take Matt Bradley over Daniel Carcillo every day of the week, despite Carcillo being far more "crazy."

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote