HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Prospect Talk

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2013, 10:10 AM
brtriad

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Quote:
Originally Posted by keslersgirl View Post
I'd love to say he was doing well, but he leaves me so frustrated every time he's on the ice. He's incredibly aggressive with his pinches, and gets caught out of position a lot. So, his partner is often left hung out to dry. That's easily the worst part of his game. He also seems to take a lot of interference penalties on dump ins, which lends itself to my opinion on him, that is, that he takes too many stupid open ice penalties. He's got to take the most penalties out of his own zone that I've ever seen from a defenceman. Those are the big negatives I see in him.

In his own zone, he's pretty good. He's nasty in corners; very few of the Raids could win the puck along the boards against Brown. The biggest positive I've regularly noticed, defensively speaking, is his play in front of the net. He made the Raiders big net presence guys (usually Jayden Hart) pay big time for trying to screen Paulic, but managed to never take a penalty. I really like that.

We could use some of that. How is his skating?

Old
02-27-2013, 10:14 AM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Sweet synopsis. Appreciate your first hand observations of the Hawks prospects in the dub. Looking forward to your posts here and with the Blackhawks. Enjoy the run the team is on currently.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:17 AM
sunsoutgunsout
#redacted

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtriad View Post
We could use some of that. How is his skating?
Definitely no speedster, but decent enough speed for a defenceman. Hard to appreciate it when he's always skating next to Rielly. As far as WHL defenceman go, just a tad above average I'd say.

Old
02-27-2013, 01:06 PM
helicon1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
Hey guys. Rangers fan here. Can I ask how Saad has been treated? Specifically, has Coach Q allowed him to play through his mistakes, or does be bench him everytime? Was Saad put on the Toews line from the beginning? I'm asking because we on the NYR board are very divided on how Tortorella is treating Kreider.
As some others have said he doesn't make too many mistakes. The exception being last game where he had two offensive zone penalties. Q did demote him to the 4th line for that (I'm assuming it was a more a demotion than a promotion for Carcillo, who took his place on the first line). Saad's been one of the Hawks more consistently good forwards, and hasn't looked like a rookie for the most part. So to answer your question, I don't think Kreider would be treated any differently under Q.

Old
02-27-2013, 02:05 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
Hey guys. Rangers fan here. Can I ask how Saad has been treated? Specifically, has Coach Q allowed him to play through his mistakes, or does be bench him everytime? Was Saad put on the Toews line from the beginning? I'm asking because we on the NYR board are very divided on how Tortorella is treating Kreider.
Saad doesn't make many mistakes and if he does, it seems like they are covered by Toews and/or Hossa.

The only time Q didn't like what Saad has done was against the Oilers when he took 2 unnessary minor penalties he could have avoided and he played the 3rd period on the 4th line with Carcillo getting his spot. Next game, Saad will start on the top line again.

Old
02-27-2013, 02:44 PM
john g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
Kayes had an assist on BC's first goal coming back into the lineup tonight, but left in the 3rd with a quad injury.

Coach York said he's not expecting Kayes to play on Friday, but they'll see.
did not look to be too bad of an injury at the time, but....

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...the_season.php

Quote:
BC's Hayes Out For The Season After Surgery

Old
02-27-2013, 03:01 PM
brtriad

Last game he'll play at BC.

Old
02-27-2013, 07:52 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Teravainen goal. Starts at the 12 second mark. Love the way he controls the tempo of the game. Very poised with the puck.

Old
02-28-2013, 01:42 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Saad vs Teräväinen.... who's going to be the better player?

Old
02-28-2013, 03:08 AM
LandofLincoln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
You just get the feeling he will be fast-tracked to the Hawks like Leddy and Saad were. At this point I would be surprised if he doesn't make the Hawks roster in September. Outside chance even for this spring depending on when he's available and if the Hawks have injuries that opened up gaping holes.

Danault needs a full season in Rockford probably minimum 1 1/2 years. I would be stunned if he came up as fast as Leddy or Saad.

Old
02-28-2013, 03:11 AM
LandofLincoln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
Saad will be the better player, but Teräväinen will out point him almost every year.

Old
02-28-2013, 06:28 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandofLincoln View Post
Saad will be the better player, but Teräväinen will out point him almost every year.
As a guy that loved both picks from the moment Bowman made the calls... I'm not sure who will be the better. Good problem to have

Old
02-28-2013, 08:43 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
it's impossible to say b/c teravainen hasn't seen any time in the NHL at all. i think his transition will be a bit harder but i think overall he will be the much better player.

Old
02-28-2013, 03:29 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

let me say that you think TT should end up as the better player?

Old
02-28-2013, 04:01 PM
LandofLincoln

Quote:
let me say that you think TT should end up as the better player?
Well Hossa is better than Kane. But Kane will probably have more goals and assists than Hossa.

I think Saad will be a more responsible on the backcheck & defensively. I think Saad may even be able to PK next year if they need to replace Frolik on that unit. I look at TT as a guy better on the forecheck, better at finding teammates and having an ability to see plays developing.

TT would be more likely to be on a PP unit than PK unit. I don't ever see him PKing. I think Saad & TT could be even as far as scoring goals but think TT would have more goals. I would expect TT to have double the amount of assists as Saad.

I just see Saad being more of a two way player 50-60PTs type player. I think TT upside is 60-80 PTS type of player. Saad being one of the team leaders in +/- and TT being a leader in giveaways.

Old
02-28-2013, 07:53 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Mark McNeill had 2 more assists last night. 5 points (all assists) in his last 2 games.

Old
03-01-2013, 01:31 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

thanks to all the guys that keep us updated about the prospects. Much appriciated (spell?)

Old
03-01-2013, 02:04 PM
bcspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuySez View Post
My opinion of Saad...

I like him a lot. Had him ranked #1 among Blackhawk prospects ever since his showing last year when he was auditioning for a roster spot. Rookie camp, pro camp, short audition in the NHL. Did not see him at Saginaw but his numbers spoke for itself. Hockey IQ, positioning, motor, skating ability.

That said, you can see he is a rookie offensively. He does create opportunities crashing the net, driving the lane, and all around general hustle but needs to adjust to play making because thats what he'll be doing a lot playing with Toews and Hossa. Im sure hes used to being fed the puck at Saginaw but here, he has to develop his playing making abilities more. Excellent considering his experience but is still developing in that department... imo of course.
Hi all just came across the discussion of Saad, his role last year was more of a play maker for Shalla who is a Predator prospect. He was leaned on to carry the team and make sure there was a spark when the team was dragging by scoring timely goals or setting up play in the offensive end. He was by far the best player in the O last year and turned around a struggling team and lead the team that gave the eventual league champion and Memorial Cup finalist team their biggest challenge in the playoffs. He will be a solid two-way forward who will never give you scoring leader numbers but can play in any capacity and will be strong along the boards in getting pucks to his linemates.

Now to a current prospect has anyone heard if they are planning on signing Garret Ross to an ELC? He could be another steal for you guys and has better than advertised hands and is an absolute beast in the corners in digging out pucks. Since being named the C of the Spirit this year he has shown his true level of skill and leadership in centering the hottest line in the O with 136pts in 25g and he has 46 of those pts. Just curious.

Old
03-01-2013, 03:10 PM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Thanks for your observations. Hawks are not looking for Saad to carry the scoring load as they're pretty stacked in that department. But as you say, he is fitting in nicely in any role hes played. His shortie on the pk was outstanding. Something the Hawks haven't done in awhile. Also set up Toews nicely the other night for his first assist. Quennville is rotating Saad between lines and assignments right now. Rotates from the top six with Toews and Hossa to the energy line. Thats fine as it gives him an opportunity to play with different guys and in different situations. Good experience before the playoffs.

As far as Ross goes, I think everyone would be shocked if Ross didn't get an ELC. Hes having an outstanding year. Lots of speculation around that Ross may turn out to be another overage steal like Shaw. We're looking forward to seeing him in camp.

Old
03-01-2013, 04:00 PM
pvr
Kruger Line=2.5 Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcspirit View Post
...Now to a current prospect has anyone heard if they are planning on signing Garret Ross to an ELC? He could be another steal for you guys and has better than advertised hands and is an absolute beast in the corners in digging out pucks. Since being named the C of the Spirit this year he has shown his true level of skill and leadership in centering the hottest line in the O with 136pts in 25g and he has 46 of those pts. Just curious.
AmericanDream is a Ross follower. Here is post 706 from this thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
Garret Ross is absolutely on fire right now. since they sent Vincent Trocheck to Plymouth, he and 2013 draft eligible Jimmy Lodge have seriously stepped up and are on fire right now.

Ross with another 3 point game and is starting to really turn some heads. yes he is playing in his 4th season, but if you look at his progression from each year you see a hard working kid who has done well with what has been given to him. only the past year and a half has he been given a more prominent role in Saginaw, and he is really capitalizing on it.

I said he was a huge steal when we got him last year and could be another Andrew Shaw, if anything since then he has only gotten me even more excited about his potential as when Saginaw is done, this kid is coming on board.

He does the little things right and isnt flashy so dont expect a 70 point player, but with Ross you get a hard working two way forward that can create offense and is responsible in his own zone. Getting him in the 5th round is complete gravy at this point as anything he does for this organization will be a massive plus.

Old
03-01-2013, 04:55 PM
bcspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuySez View Post
His shortie on the pk was outstanding.
That reminded me of his best shortie last year killing a 5 on 3 he read the pass from the point and stole the puck and potted the shortie. He really does read the play well and has a very heavy shot that gives goalies fits. It was a privilege to get to watch him grow into the player he is becoming and have enjoyed seeing him do well in the NHL.

One more thing on Ross he is a steal and I keep thinking back if Rinaldo hadn't taken out his knee his first year his numbers would be considerably better.

Old
03-01-2013, 05:19 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandofLincoln View Post
Well Hossa is better than Kane.
Stopped reading there.

Old
03-01-2013, 05:38 PM
Sleight Of Hand
Mean Streets

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post
Stopped reading there.
I think he is. Better D, PK, stronger on the puck. And he scores plenty. They are different types of players but Hoss is better than Kane right now. More complete.

Old
03-01-2013, 08:01 PM
brtriad

Ross pick looked like Shaw the moment they took it. Undrafted overager overachiever. Let's hope he turns out half as good as Shaw.

Old
03-02-2013, 01:58 PM
moose vasko

Watched some of Danault last night. He scored twice on PP playing point in 4-2 Moncton win. Oh and uh...19 for 25 in the dot; maybe we could use a guy like that?

Closed Thread