HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Alexei Emelin Thread

Old
02-27-2013, 10:10 PM
Le CH

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Please stop.

It is tiring that we need to constantly turn from one player to the next in an effort to bash them or pit them against another. And now Emelin is pitted against DMen in the AHL.
This is a hockey discussion board... not sure why you think its unacceptable to ask where the fanbase sees him (potential) in the next 5 years given whats in the pipeline?

Le CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:33 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le CH View Post
This is a hockey discussion board... not sure why you think its unacceptable to ask where the fanbase sees him (potential) in the next 5 years given whats in the pipeline?
Beaulieu, Pateryn, Tinordi, Ellis, Nygren are all potential NHL dmen, they will challenge for spots, but not soon, so there is tons of time to decide which of the current players will remain long term.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:39 PM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

vCash: 50
Quote:
So is Emelin a long-term top 4 for this organisation or does he get pushed down when the youngsters ( Beaulieu, Tinordi et al ) become staples?
He's going to stay exactly where he is for as long as Markov stays around. The two players you mentioned are at least another season away from becoming full-time NHLers.

Franck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:48 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Beaulieu, Pateryn, Tinordi, Ellis, Nygren are all potential NHL dmen, they will challenge for spots, but not soon, so there is tons of time to decide which of the current players will remain long term.
This is a good problem to have.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:52 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
This ^^^^^

Le CH, I apologize if I sounded too harsh. I read on the GDT where people were bashing Emelin on a night when he played a very good game offensively and got ripped on an interference call and the penalty shot call was bogus as well. Even as he played solid D and was hitting.

SouthernHab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:15 PM
Atas2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
I think Emelin played one of his best games aa a Hab.
And it's not Yemelin. It's that somebody finally found out what kind of player he is. It was a shame they limited him to that hitter role all this time.

Atas2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:28 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Powerful and accurate shot, second PP unit for the big one-timers please.

JLP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 07:55 AM
Nova_Scotia_Vees

He was limping after the game..Anything to that?

Nova_Scotia_Vees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 08:59 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
I was surprised to see him get a star last night considering I thought he was the worst of the Habs' D by quite a bit. Just didn't look good.

The interference call on him was weak though.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 09:46 AM
PhysicX

vCash: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova_Scotia_Vees View Post
He was limping after the game..Anything to that?
He did block a shot yesterday from a defenseman (I believe)... Could be the reason. Emelin leaned forward after the shot blocked (seemed like he was in pain when I was looking at the play), but skated with the puck a second or a couple after. This is all from memory here, and memory is faulty, but I'm fairly sure of this.

Last edited by PhysicX: 02-28-2013 at 09:57 AM.
PhysicX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 09:58 AM
Teufelsdreck

My memory is hazy on whether it was on the first Leaf goal or the second that Subban and Gorges collectively botched their defensive assignments.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:21 AM
kyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I was surprised to see him get a star last night considering I thought he was the worst of the Habs' D by quite a bit. Just didn't look good.

The interference call on him was weak though.
I don't know about that. He spends a lot of time covering for Markov's lack of speed which often puts him out of position. I'm not sure Markov is the ideal partner for him, but he's certainly getting better as time goes by. I love his grit and and he can certainly skate

Far worse was Cube, imo. I'm glad he's only signed for one year. He's lost a step and his decision making has not improved over the years.

kyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:22 AM
McNuts

Does anyone else find Emelin better than Komisarek was in the time he played with Markov?

McNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:23 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
So is Emelin a long-term top 4 for this organisation or does he get pushed down when the youngsters ( Beaulieu, Tinordi et al ) become staples?
I think he is good enough to be a #4 on a top team. Best case scenario our kids develop into impact players and he is a luxury at #5.

Right now he, Bouillon and Diaz are providing us with great value for a combined 4.72 mil, that's only slightly more than Mike freaking Komisarek!

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:30 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyne View Post
I don't know about that. He spends a lot of time covering for Markov's lack of speed which often puts him out of position. I'm not sure Markov is the ideal partner for him, but he's certainly getting better as time goes by. I love his grit and and he can certainly skate

Far worse was Cube, imo. I'm glad he's only signed for one year. He's lost a step and his decision making has not improved over the years.
I don't agree, in fact I think he arguably looks worse this year than last year. Could be a number of factors - playing with/covering Markov, the facial injury playing a role (he seems more hesitant to be physical this year), and heightened expectations. You're not as willing to overlook flaws in a player's sophomore year as you are in their second season. Whatever the reason is, he's clearly our 6th best defenseman if you take all the games played this year into consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNuts View Post
Does anyone else find Emelin better than Komisarek was in the time he played with Markov?
Definitely not. Except his last year with us, people forget how good Komisarek was with Markov (or how good Markov made him look, or how good they worked together). Komisarek looked like a legit #2 shutdown guy for a while, haven't seen that from Emelin yet.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:44 AM
Et le But

I like Emelin, I really hope he proves me wrong, but I don't see him as anything more than a stop gap. He had as many bad plays as he did good last night.

I disagree that he's worse than last year - last year for most of the season he was atrocious when not hitting, but even with Markov covering for him, he's nothing more than a bottom pairing defenseman who can play in the top 4 as a stop gap.

I do want to see him on the PP though.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:25 AM
LeMAD

He's playing better than last year for sure, but he's not top-6 on a legit contender.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:31 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
He's playing better than last year for sure, but he's not top-6 on a legit contender.
I know you really, really, really dislike the man, but the Blackhawks had Hendry and Sopel in their top 6 in 2010. Emelin is pretty good for a bottom pairing defender.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:54 AM
PyrettaBlaze*

He needs to be moved to his natural side. Last season, all of his big hits came when he was playing on the left side and every time he played on the right side, it was a disaster. Now, he's forced to play on the right AND has to face top lines AND has to cover for an aging Markov. I really don't think he's suited for these tasks.

PyrettaBlaze* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:03 PM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I like Emelin, I really hope he proves me wrong, but I don't see him as anything more than a stop gap. He had as many bad plays as he did good last night.

I disagree that he's worse than last year - last year for most of the season he was atrocious when not hitting, but even with Markov covering for him, he's nothing more than a bottom pairing defenseman who can play in the top 4 as a stop gap.

I do want to see him on the PP though.
Markov was the one who screwed up on both the penalty shot and the 2nd Leafs goal yesterday, actually. If anything happened yesterday, it was Emelin who had to cover Markov's ass.

I like the guy as much as anyone and it's good to see him (Markov) back and putting up points, but let's be honest. His defensive game is nothing like it was a couple years ago. Which was to be expected. He's having really good games and is still a key player for us, but he's making the odd mistake here and there, and yesterday he did 2 of those, and was certainly not "covering Emelin".

I also think people in here underrate his ability to win the battles along the boards. He'll never lose one, and he's even starting to get puck on the net with more regularity. People are always talking about Diaz, but Emelin has had as good, if not an even better start this year.

HiggsBozon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:12 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
You have got to be kidding!

I guess that is where differences of opinions come in because I would have put him at the other end of spectrum

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 02:56 PM
Atas2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
Habs fans are Le(s) mad! He's arguably your top 2 defenceman now with Subban being a defensive lapses king of late(I really ask myself what all the talk about Subban's talent is about. but then I realize: he's canadian).

Old
02-28-2013, 03:06 PM
habdynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atas2000 View Post
Habs fans are Le(s) mad! He's arguably your top 2 defenceman now with Subban being a defensive lapses king of late(I really ask myself what all the talk about Subban's talent is about. but then I realize: he's canadian).
haha the ol blame Subban card again lol

habdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 04:19 PM
Atas2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by habdynasty View Post
haha the ol blame Subban card again lol
I don't blame him. I just say what I see in games. And I brought it up only to support my opinion Yemelin is a top 2 d-man on MTL right now.

P.S. Yes I do think Subban is overrated a bit regarding his ceiling. and he's long enough in the NHL now to avoid those mistakes I see him make every game. I mean it's Ok if you consider him a 2nd pairing guy, but it's not if you see him as MTL's blue line future as many ppl do.

Old
02-28-2013, 04:43 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
You have got to be kidding!

I guess that is where differences of opinions come in because I would have put him at the other end of spectrum

I agree. I have to shake my head in disbelief at times over here. It seems to be a popularity contest at times and it appears that Emelin is not the popular guy.

He leads the team in hits with 66. The next highest hits from a DMan is Boullion with 32 (another guy who is wrongly maligned on this forum)

He averages one blocked shot a game. He is playing with a + while Markov is playing with a -. All the while playing against other teams top lines.

I dont get the negativity toward Emelin. I saw it brewing and expanding last night on the GDT.

Weird. Especially for a DMan who is doing the job that is asked of him. Thank goodness that Therrien is not a member here.

SouthernHab is online now   Reply With Quote