Old
02-28-2013, 11:26 AM
Rheged
JMFT

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Slammer View Post
Leafs lose

Don't even hat the Leafs, just love that lizard.

Spoil:

Old
02-28-2013, 12:52 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Whoa. Goes to show that yes, it is a sport, and yes it makes a lot of these men wealthy, but the truth is these players are all human, and suffer from emotions, obstacles and issues in their own lives just as many others not playing sports do. I suppose what I am saying is, it's a game these guys play, but they're human too.

http://islanderspointblank.com/news/...et-it-on-fire/

Quote:
Kevin Maher @KMaherNews12

DiPietro also admitted injuries, losing and fan hatred over the past 3 years made him think about killing himself at one point.

02-28-2013, 01:04 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

A good perspective from Dan Tencer, I think. This may become a pretty big story in the media in the coming days.

Quote:
Dan Tencer ‏@dantencer
Those are some quotes from DiPietro, boy. Saying he contemplated suicide over the last few years is going to become a huge, huge story.
Quote:
Dan Tencer ‏@dantencer
Criticism is part of the deal for pro athletes. You can't tell fans to only cheer, and never jeer. But, the personal stuff crosses the line.
Quote:
Dan Tencer ‏@dantencer
NHL players need to be able to deal with boos and scathing columns and call-in shows trying to run them out of town. That's part of sports.
Quote:
Dan Tencer ‏@dantencer
What they don't need to deal with are personal attacks or attacks on their families and the crude vitriol we see on Twitter sometimes.
Quote:
Dan Tencer ‏@dantencer
If for whatever reason a player is struggling, I hope the resources are there from all teams to help. Those were serious words from Rick.
And a tweet from Patrick Burke,

Quote:
Patrick Burke ‏@BurkieYCP
Ricky's quotes great example of athletes who gain added pressure/hatred with added salary. Easy to say "He's rich, he shouldn't be upset."

Old
02-28-2013, 01:35 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

People have found it too easy to cross the line between 'critique of a personality in the public eye' to unabashed bullying and hate-speak.

I don't read comments sections because of it, and I would unfollow someone if they crossed the line like that on Twitter.

02-28-2013, 01:40 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brogosian View Post
People have found it too easy to cross the line between 'critique of a personality in the public eye' to unabashed bullying and hate-speak.

I don't read comments sections because of it, and I would unfollow someone if they crossed the line like that on Twitter.
Agree about comments sections of news articles. Its mostly jsut filled with attacking each other.

Contemplating suicide is a deeper problem than simply bullying though. If it reaches that level you really need to get help.

Old
02-28-2013, 02:29 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

It's now coming out that DiPietro was being completely facetious in that interview.

Either the reporter screwed up badly and misreported that quote, or Rick's doing some major backpedalling.

Old
02-28-2013, 02:57 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
It's now coming out that DiPietro was being completely facetious in that interview.

Either the reporter screwed up badly and misreported that quote, or Rick's doing some major backpedalling.
Just read this. Odd turn of events with this story.

Old
02-28-2013, 03:02 PM
Scheifele55

Rick DiPietro talks about wanting to commit suicide then says he was joking...

I was reading on TSN earlier about how Rick DiPietro's downfall has made him contemplate suicide. Then later this afternoon I just read about how it was just a "joke".

What a complete *******, he gets a 15 year contract which was based on him performing to his potential which he has never came close to and has been injured and has 8 years left on the deal and he "jokes" about suicide.

Maybe this is inappropriate, but if something were to happen to him, I wouldn't shed a tear.

Last edited by Hammer Slammer: 02-28-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Old
02-28-2013, 03:08 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 900
Uhm I think we took different things away from the article.

The POINT of the article and a major issue in society is how people feel they can direct anything at professional athletes ( or anyone with out any consequences). I think a lot of things have been taken out of context. I don't think he meant a "hahaha" joke, rather it was a comment to show how hurt full comments could be, though he personally never felt that way.

Anyways, I don't think his contract enters into the fact that its not okay to direct the type of vitriol at him that he's been subject to.
It's your prerogative if you wouldn't be upset by something happening to him. But a lot of people were wishing negative things upon him.

Old
02-28-2013, 03:22 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

Double post due to merging

Last edited by cheswick: 02-28-2013 at 03:28 PM.
Old
02-28-2013, 03:25 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post

Posted this on the other thread, but I read that what he actually said was, "if I didn't have the support of my wife by my side I may have just driven into a tree"

Sounds more like the writer being overzealous than DiPietro "joking" about suicide. I think DiPietro was more just trying to portray how much his Wifes support meant.

Old
02-28-2013, 03:46 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Posted this on the other thread, but I read that what he actually said was, "if I didn't have the support of my wife by my side I may have just driven into a tree"

Sounds more like the writer being overzealous than DiPietro "joking" about suicide. I think DiPietro was more just trying to portray how much his Wifes support meant.
If that indeed was the quote, then that reporter is pathetic.

Old
02-28-2013, 04:07 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Gotta love sports writers these days.

Old
02-28-2013, 04:54 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Flames offer sheet ROR.

Old
02-28-2013, 06:37 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

CAR and TBL losing what I like to see
Go 2012-13 SE Banner Jets

Old
02-28-2013, 06:40 PM
Libertyhaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
CAR and TBL losing what I like to see
Go 2012-13 SE Banner Jets
I was just about to post this lol. We could be in 3rd place if we win tonight!

Maybe

Old
02-28-2013, 06:45 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

and both score... I need to ****

Old
02-28-2013, 06:54 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

Joking about suicide or misleading people into thinking that is absolutely pathetic.

It's a real slap in the face to anyone who has truly contemplated it, or someone who has lost a loved one to suicide.

Switching gears to a happier thing: Carolina and TB losing! The Jets have traditionally failed to seize the day when being given these types of opportunities. I sure hope they flip the script tonight.

Old
02-28-2013, 08:16 PM
ps241
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brogosian View Post
Joking about suicide or misleading people into thinking that is absolutely pathetic.

It's a real slap in the face to anyone who has truly contemplated it, or someone who has lost a loved one to suicide.

Switching gears to a happier thing: Carolina and TB losing! The Jets have traditionally failed to seize the day when being given these types of opportunities. I sure hope they flip the script tonight.
This is a tough one. Before I condem Rick or the reporter it would be good to really understand the situation. if this was knowingly a cheap rating pop by the reporter seizing something that was clearly not meant to taken literally then Shame on him. however, if Rick meant it at the time and is scrambling now to do some damage control then maybe this story is a good thing and his friends, teammates, and loved ones can reach out.

Time will tell I guess

Old
02-28-2013, 08:26 PM
razorsedge
West Town Sports

Aparently it was meant to emphasize how supportive his wife has been during the last few years. Not meant as a joke or to be taken literal (that he contemplated suicide).

Old
02-28-2013, 09:12 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorsedge View Post
Aparently it was meant to emphasize how supportive his wife has been during the last few years. Not meant as a joke or to be taken literal (that he contemplated suicide).
They showed the clip on tsn. He said he thought of driving into a tree or off a bridge but he had a great support system especially his wife. Katie strang was interviewed on that's hockey and said when the news came out she kinda figured he wasn't serious cause she knows his personality and he has dark self-depreciating way about him.

Old
02-28-2013, 09:36 PM
mondena

Avs sign ROR, i'm certainly surprised they went for it.

Old
02-28-2013, 09:56 PM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 640
So, there's a user on here named 'Nazem Gretzky'. I think I'm a little insulted by that name. He's a Leafs fan, of course.

Old
03-01-2013, 09:37 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Alien Hockey Wizard

Quote:
Chris Peters ‏@chrismpeters
Rick DiPietro allows five goals on 12 shots in first AHL start since clearing waivers: http://cbsprt.co/XgbRtw

Old
03-02-2013, 12:53 AM
LadyJet26
GO JETS GO!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondena View Post
Avs sign ROR, i'm certainly surprised they went for it.
It would have been interesting/entertaining to watch Calgary sign him and then lose him on waivers though.

I think ROR eventually gets traded. Don't think he's happy that Landeskog got the captaincy.

Closed Thread