HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part L |All talk from around the league here

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2013, 04:50 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I have no idea what Calgary is thinking with this.
It's their ownership, they refuse to accept a rebuild.

It really comes down to whether their pick is top 6 (Monaha/Lindholm/Barkov)...or more like 10th or later.

If it's top 6, CGY would be making a Kessel trade like mistake.

If it's 10th or later, then it's a good move for CGY.

Or maybe ROR goes back to being a 20-30 point guy.

The Landeskog and Duchene's contract are up the same summer COL would have to give ROR a 6.5 M QO. Yikes.

Old
02-28-2013, 04:53 PM
ClasslessGuy

vCash: 500
Bad position IMO for Colorado because they could get more in a trade for RO but now if they match, they can't trade him and they don't want to give him that money...

Old
02-28-2013, 04:53 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
5 M AAV over 2 years (last year @ 6.5 M).

The Flames lose their 1st and 3rd in 2013 if the Avs do not match.

Hopefully for the sake of our Flames pick COL matches.
Getting the Flames 1st round pick in this draft would be a great move for the Avs if they don't match. Atleast the ROR mess will soon end thankfully.

Old
02-28-2013, 04:54 PM
Andy

Why Calgary?

They would have no 1st, 2nd or 3rd round pick in this year's draft if it goes through. Eesh.

Old
02-28-2013, 04:56 PM
Mrb1p

This might actually be a good move for both teams... It gives a high pick to COL and CGY gets a major part for their rebuild and he's already in the league.

Old
02-28-2013, 04:59 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Ugh, just when I thought ''maybe Boston will finally face a good team tomorrow after beating up on TB/FLA/NYI'', they get the sooo due for a big crash Senators in Boston.
I am looking forward to this game tonight. I hope it is a physical affair and both teams board, high stick and slash each other for the entire night. And of course I am hoping for Chris Neil to fight a couple of the Bruins. Matters not if he wins or loses.

To hell with both teams but I hope it is a blowout one way or the other. Neither team deserves the bonus point.

Old
02-28-2013, 05:00 PM
shamrun

This deal will depend on how bad the flames finish this year. That 1st round pick......

Also the flames would have no pick until the fourth round this year. Personally I don't think this is a good move by the flames.

Old
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
This might actually be a good move for both teams... It gives a high pick to COL and CGY gets a major part for their rebuild and he's already in the league.
Which rebuild?

O'Reilly
Baetschi
Jankowski?

And no prospect to show for one of the strongest drafts in recent memory.

This move is a real disaster from a Flames point of view. I would be pissed if we pulled this one off, and we're not even as low in the standings as the Flames are.

Now, if O'Reilly doesn't have a serious impact on the Flames going forward, they're going to let the Avs pick Barkov or Lindholm.

Great job, Feaster. Here, take another donut.

Old
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Just when you think they'll be getting a franchise turning lottery the give it to a team in their division...

Avalanche probably going to end up with two lottery picks with the Flames 1st to add to their already stacked youth.

Old
02-28-2013, 05:08 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCE View Post
Which rebuild?

O'Reilly
Baetschi
Jankowski?

And no prospect to show for one of the strongest drafts in recent memory.

This move is a real disaster from a Flames point of view. I would be pissed if we pulled this one off, and we're not even as low in the standings as the Flames are.

Now, if O'Reilly doesn't have a serious impact on the Flames going forward, they're going to let the Avs pick Barkov or Lindholm.

Great job, Feaster. Here, take another donut.
Flames management must read this board regarding O'Reilly, the mythical missing link to the Stanley Cup just waiting for any team to overpay him.

Old
02-28-2013, 05:11 PM
Et le But

Quote:
It's their ownership, they refuse to accept a rebuild.

It really comes down to whether their pick is top 6 (Monaha/Lindholm/Barkov)...or more like 10th or later.

If it's top 6, CGY would be making a Kessel trade like mistake.

If it's 10th or later, then it's a good move for CGY.

Or maybe ROR goes back to being a 20-30 point guy.

The Landeskog and Duchene's contract are up the same summer COL would have to give ROR a 6.5 M QO. Yikes.
Do you really think ROR would be able to turn the Flames around that much? He hasn't played hockey in two months. Yes a center is just what the Flames need, but ROR isn't ideal in a first line role, he won't make up for their atrocious goaltending or aging offense. They are better with him than without him, but by the time he starts playing it would be too late.

And even if they miss out on the top 6, the Avs could still end up getting Zadorov or Nurse out of this.

Old
02-28-2013, 05:16 PM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

The more I think about it, the more I think it's an idiotic move... Feaster's worst move in his career, and that says a lot.

Whenever the Flames are ready to be competitive, without any draft pick this season, it's going to be in at least 3 years. And that year, O'Reilly is going to be a UFA. It's an idiotic move that will likely bite the Flames in the ass.

Old
02-28-2013, 05:16 PM
bigtimehockeyfan999

Should Bergevin offer sheet o`reilly? Hear me out.

We`re 2nd in the league....im pretty confident about the playoffs at this point..and we look like we may even be able to go on a bit of a run..maybe 2nd or 3rd round again...or further

With a later half 1st rounder and the fact that we already have 3 2nd`s and 2 thirds should we offer sheet O`reilly? giving up our 1st and 3rd.

He could help us immediately and would probabley make us go further in the playoffs than we would originally.....

So with o`reilly in the lineup it gives us boost to win the cup

or

we don;t win the cup and flip one of our players for a 1st rounder...which still gives timmins the opportunity to work his magic in the 1st round of a deep draft and is essentially o`reilly for one of our guys straight up...and a 3rd but who the **** cares about that.

also..by preventing calgary from getting him we make our 2nd rounder from them higher

with ryder UFA at the end of the year..we dont have to worry about cap implications..the key to this deal is that we have o`reilly and ryder and another player we may have to give up at the end of the year...gionta or whoever...all on our roster for a year to contend.....we bulk up

Old
02-28-2013, 05:17 PM
overlords
Hfboards

might turn into an almost Kessel like blunder. Will be fun to watch.

Old
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
I think Calgary is taking too much of a risk. They may tell themselves they are just 3 points out of a playoff spot. But they're also 3 points out of 29th place. Losing the 1st would be ok if indeed it was a #8-15 pick. But it could be a #2 pick... or a #2 seed with decent lottery odds. Etc. I guess that helps entice Colorado into not matching, at least.

Past that there is the qualifying offer aspect. $3.5M + $6.5M... so they have to qualify O'Reilly at $6.5M after next season? Or he walks UFA. I mean, O'Reilly is a good player and all, but clearly not yet a $6.5M one, and you are giving him a big hammer to wield if that's his QO.

Sweet deal for O'Reilly, though. Easy to see why he took it. He is going to get lots of money this year with that $2.5M signing bonus. And lots next year. And he'll be in a position to keep getting that $6.5M long-term *OR* be a UFA able to call his own shots.

Old
Captain Saku

Too late, he's already been offer sheeted by the Flames, lol.

Old
02-28-2013, 05:24 PM
sheed36

There's also a thread on the trade rumor board here that Bobby Mac said today that Perry isn't re-signing with the Ducks. Hopefully the Habs are in on him big time if he does make it to UFA this summer.

Old
02-28-2013, 05:26 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
There's also a thread on the trade rumor board here that Bobby Mac said today that Perry isn't re-signing with the Ducks. Hopefully the Habs are in on him big time if he does make it to UFA this summer.
Why do I have an awful feeling he's going to end up on the Bruins?

Old
02-28-2013, 05:27 PM
E = CH²

Holy crap what a horrible move by the flames.

Old
02-28-2013, 05:28 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I'd have been ok with the Habs putting that offer in front of O'Reilly, though. Our pick is (hopefully/likely) much lower, so less risk to us. Of course, more likelihood therefore that Colorado would match. All we'd be taking on is the salary risk. But we have that "heavenly" cap situation looming, so it wouldn't be a huge problem.

I wonder how many offers O'Reilly got. I bet there were several. I can see why this one from the Flames was the one he picked, though. He really does seem to want out of Colorado, so something which they are less likely to match would appeal. And the signing bonus. Etc.

Old
02-28-2013, 05:29 PM
PyrettaBlaze*

ROFL with this contract, Calgary HAS to give him $6.5M per year for 2 years after next season. He's not worth $6.5M at all.

Old
02-28-2013, 05:29 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
Do you really think ROR would be able to turn the Flames around that much? He hasn't played hockey in two months. Yes a center is just what the Flames need, but ROR isn't ideal in a first line role, he won't make up for their atrocious goaltending or aging offense. They are better with him than without him, but by the time he starts playing it would be too late.
As of today the pick is 8th overall. I hope they stink it up, but I have to admit that pick being 10th or so is possible with ROR in the mix.

Calgary plays 3 games in the next week, they could get ROR into their lineup with 27 games left.

Old
02-28-2013, 05:33 PM
Bask
Embellishing User

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Holy crap what a horrible move by the flames.
worst move of the year award

Old
02-28-2013, 05:34 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Why do I have an awful feeling he's going to end up on the Bruins?
What's the Bruins cap situation for next year? Seguin's extension kicks in and also Lucic's I think.

Old
02-28-2013, 05:36 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
ROFL with this contract, Calgary HAS to give him $6.5M per year for 2 years after next season. He's not worth $6.5M at all.
This. AND they might be giving up a Jones, McKinnon or Drouin in the process... just a really bad move

I bet lucid flames fans are praying that Colorado matches.

Closed Thread