Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

offer sheet on Ryan O'Reilly

Old
02-28-2013, 05:01 PM
The Hendog

vCash: 500
So if Colorado declines - Calgary will currently have no draft picks in rounds 1 to 3 in 2013 which is supposed to be one of the better drafts in awhile (they always say that but still).

How are we suppose to continue to improve our prospect pool without high draft picks...?

The Hendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 05:02 PM
Joey Moss

vCash: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowzie View Post
This is laughable.

Sorry Calgary, now you know what it's like to be a Leaf fan.
This guy is probably just bitter the Laughs didn't get O'Reilly. I don't mind this move for you guys. O'Reilly is a really good fit for Calgary, IMO. If it's a top 5 pick, could be risky but O'Reilly should improve you guys a lot.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 05:02 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
This is laughable.

I think its a wicked deal for RoR.. they added a potenially elite two-way center for two picks... a Center who is only 21 years old.

Flames could have just found there number 1C for the next decade with this move.

If the Flames grab him and make the playoffs... the picks become an after thought and this becomes one hell of a coup by the Flames

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 05:03 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hendog View Post
So if Colorado declines - Calgary will currently have no draft picks in rounds 1 to 3 in 2013 which is supposed to be one of the better drafts in awhile (they always say that but still).

How are we suppose to continue to improve our prospect pool without high draft picks...?
RoR is only 21... I don't understand HF and there thoughts that every 17-18 year old holds more value then 21-22 year old

It blows my mind

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 05:04 PM
Flames92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
Of course he would. 2.5M signing bonus for this season and a 6.5M salary for next. His qualifying offer next season will have to be either 6.5M or 90% percent of that - regardless of how he plays. The offer sheet was designed in such a way to make the Avalanche unable to highly unwilling to match it. We'll have to see if the Flames were right about that.

I'm still on the fence about this - O'Reilly's young and still has the potential to improve. On that other hand, the Flames are still refusing to accept what they are and are still trying to find shortcuts instead of putting the actual work in to make a winner. This could be almost as disastrous as the Kessel trade was for Toronto if the picks given up end up being in the top five.
This is my main concern, but considering we've consistently finished 9th place for the past 3 seasons and we seem to be a better team this year, plus with Oreilly on board i dnt think it will be a top 10 pick. Theres still a chance though.. So i dnt no, im happy but at the same time worried.

Flames92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 05:07 PM
Rangediddy

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesarmstrong22 View Post
Makes the game tonight that much more interesting! This is a great move. O'reilly I think has the same value as a lottery pick and a 3rd is no big deal.
If the flames make the playoffs the picks are late, if we don't than at the deadline feaster can sell guys like sarich and stempniak for 2nds and 3rds and get some picks back. It's a win-win IMO
We'll also get back the first when Iginla is traded

Rangediddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 05:07 PM
snizzbone
Give me the puck ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Below View Post
I think its a wicked deal for RoR.. they added a potenially elite two-way center for two picks... a Center who is only 21 years old.

Flames could have just found there number 1C for the next decade with this move.

If the Flames grab him and make the playoffs... the picks become an after thought and this becomes one hell of a coup by the Flames
That is a HUGE if.

O'Reilly might not even make that big an impact as he hasn't been playing NHL hockey in a long while.

snizzbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 05:08 PM
Ellipson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post
If this backfires it could set back the franchise many years... Just as much as the Phaneuf trade if not more.

On the other hand it could make us a playoff team. I'm beyond terrified right now.
You could make this post on the Avs forum right now too (minus the Phaneuf part). This is terrifying for both teams.

Ellipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 05:09 PM
Nordberg

vCash: 50
The main difference between the Sutter type "get in the playoffs at all costs" moronic Phaneuf-style deals and this one is that we are actually getting something in return that could improve us drastically now and in the long run, asset-wise and lineup-wise. This a young stud center we're talking about. There are two problems, first off we are going to have a very difficult time signing him in 2 years after this deal. The second problem is that ROR is not exactly elite offensively. Of course many teams do just fine without a top offensive center threat, but these teams don't pay their best center 6.5 million a year either.

Nordberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 05:09 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames92 View Post
This is my main concern, but considering we've consistently finished 9th place for the past 3 seasons and we seem to be a better team this year, plus with Oreilly on board i dnt think it will be a top 10 pick. Theres still a chance though.. So i dnt no, im happy but at the same time worried.
It's pretty unlikely that the Flames end up with a top five pick but top 10 was certainly very possible. Plus, with the new lottery rules, even a 12th place finish could mean the first overall - slim though the chances for that happening may be.

Not to mention O'Reilly's going to be very rusty considering he hasn't played for a while and was injured in early January.

At the very least though, I'm a little glad the Flames didn't give up on Backlund or Brodie to make the deal. Of course, maybe they tried to but the Avalanche refused or wanted more.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 05:13 PM
Money Baer
COYS

Quote:
This is laughable.

Yes, a 22yr C who is comparable to Mike Richards is laughable... For a 1st & 3rd. It's a solid move by Jay.

Money Baer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 05:13 PM
Perro

Quote:

If the do not match Calgayr will have to shed a lot of salary for next year (assuming they sign iggy). They will make trades to get picks back at the deadline or draft

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 05:15 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Quote:
@CraigJButton: @TSNBobMcKenzie After contract expiration in 2014, qualifying offer will be 6.5 Million. Can negotiate a long-term deal that is less AAV.
Okay, so maybe the 6.5M isn't such a big deal. If the Avalanche don't match, the Flames could re-sign O'Reilly to a long term deal for a much lower AAV. Then again, so could Colorado if they decided to match the offer sheet.

Old
Money Baer
COYS

Quote:

The Flames will recoup some picks at the draft.. (or just before.)

Money Baer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
tyflames
Baertschi is God

vCash: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Below View Post
RoR is only 21... I don't understand HF and there thoughts that every 17-18 year old holds more value then 21-22 year old

It blows my mind
This. This deal could kick start a rebuild and if we give up a first. We could get one back trading one of our star players if we were rebuilding

tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 05:16 PM
Sventastic47

Inane move!! This better not be a lotttery pick though,Go Flames!

Sventastic47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 05:16 PM
Ciccio1980

So if Colorado doesn't match at the end of next year he would have to be signed to a minimum of 6.5 per year big contract for a 2 nd line centre

Ciccio1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 05:19 PM
Boomstick

vCash: 495
I like what Dreger tweeted

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger

A very aggressive move by the Flames. However, other GM's suggest Colorado could have fetched more than a 1st and 3rd via trade.

Boomstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 05:19 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyflames View Post
This. This deal could kick start a rebuild and if we give up a first. We could get one back trading one of our star players if we were rebuilding
Technically sure, but not really. They might be able to re-acquire a first round pick, but the chances of that pick being as high as the Flames own first round pick are not very good.

Old
02-28-2013, 05:20 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciccio1980 View Post
So if Colorado doesn't match at the end of next year he would have to be signed to a minimum of 6.5 per year big contract for a 2 nd line centre
Not necessarily.

Old
02-28-2013, 05:21 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

Hey, Noori, you know if I can change my username to I Hate Chris Butler AND Jay Feaster? **** this move. I hope the Avs match it.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 05:22 PM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sventastic47 View Post
Inane move!! This better not be a lotttery pick though,Go Flames!
Under new CBA only way for it not to be a lottery pick is to make the playoffs.

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 05:25 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Wow I dunno if I should smile or frown...great player but thats a HUGE price to pay...

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 05:28 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

Quote:
That is a HUGE if.

O'Reilly might not even make that big an impact as he hasn't been playing NHL hockey in a long while.
A lot of people weren't playing NHL hockey for a while. It's not going to take all season to get back into form.

This guy is already an established 2 way center that could easily be a #2 C on any team and will be our number 1. What's not to love?

King In The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 05:29 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

Besides I think this team will be a lot better when Iginla isn't being centered by Stajan or Blake ****ing Comeau.

King In The North is offline   Reply With Quote