HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Carlyle is stubborn as Burke

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2013, 12:54 PM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Boucher View Post
Number 1 is the only reason he's on the line.

Orr gives Kadri less space since defenders just forget about Orr and increase their focus on Kadri.

Additionally, given the injury to Frattin, Brown would be a better option than Orr since he can actually keep up with the play.

It is a reward for Orr playing well on the 4th line - but it's not working. Kadri's line would always be buzzing and now they have trouble sustaining pressure. Kadri is still producing but in spite of Orr not because of him.
Not sure I'd wanna forget Orr was out there if I were playing. Could have disastrous consequences.

Old
02-28-2013, 12:55 PM
SteveV*

Kostka stunk again last night, he should be benched.

Old
02-28-2013, 12:59 PM
Alflives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Orr is on Kadri's line for multiple reasons.

1) He is being rewarded by his coach for his effort and received a promotion from the 4th to the 3rd line joining Kadri, because of that.

2) Kadri is Leafs leading scorer and the teams youngest player and other teams are going to start taking runs and liberties attempting to intimidate him to reduce his effectiveness. Orr as a security guard provides protection against that while riding shotgun. Allowing Kadri the freedom to be creative and focus on the game, while developing rather than the opponents attention against him.

3) Frattin who is Kadri's usual line-mate was/is injured and Orr is simply a temporary fill-in and will replaced on that line when Matty returns.
Excellent post. The Leafs' tough guys allow their skilled players to play 'bigger' and 'better' than they otherwise would. Carlyle is a smart coach, who will keep toughness in the line-up. He understands its importance to the success of a hockey team, much like you do poster, and other posters here do not.

Old
02-28-2013, 01:08 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazeeEddie View Post
I like to think Liles and Komi could be useful veterans to teams looking to make a run, could bring in some solid picks for us.
Liles cost the Leafs a 2nd rounder to obtain, lets see if Nonis is able to break-even.

Komisarek I'm not holding my breath of him going anywhere but towards a compliance buyout this summer. Will take some real GM skill to change the outcome to anything other than that. IMO

02-28-2013, 01:15 PM
Griffski

I sense some stubbornness for sure, but I also sense a "Don't try to fix what isn't broken" mentality. The Orr with kadri thing is beyond me though, what...the...hell. Our best offensive player with our worst offensive player.

Old
02-28-2013, 01:20 PM
Alflives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffski View Post
I sense some stubbornness for sure, but I also sense a "Don't try to fix what isn't broken" mentality. The Orr with kadri thing is beyond me though, what...the...hell. Our best offensive player with our worst offensive player.
Okay, here is how it works. Kadri plays with an edge, and takes runs at opponents. He needs to have Orr (or some other very tough player) on his line to back up his aggressive nature. Big, tough guys, who can play too, don't come cheap, and are very hard to get.

Old
02-28-2013, 01:23 PM
achtungbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
Kostka stunk again last night, he should be benched.
It was a nice story for awhile, but there was probably a reason he was in the minors all these years.

Old
02-28-2013, 01:37 PM
Mystifo
Lol Doodle.

As you can see by the graph shown we are due for this. Assuming we accept that our fan base is just your common sine graph then a trend like this is due but sadly things should get much worse but hey it is a sine graph so it only means we will go up soon too.

Last edited by Mystifo: 02-28-2013 at 01:48 PM. Reason: typos
Old
02-28-2013, 03:06 PM
hobarth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystifo View Post

As you can see by the graph shown we are due for this. Assuming we accept that our fan base is just your common sine graph then a trend like this is due but sadly things should get much worse but hey it is a sine graph so it only means we will go up soon too.
Didn't last year.

Old
02-28-2013, 03:06 PM
You Like Boyce

There is a lot of stubbornness around here for sure..

Old
02-28-2013, 03:14 PM
selltrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
Yes, but Orr can't handle the puck for Christ's sakes. His lack of skill negates his asset of creating room for Kadri. As soon as Frattin comes back, he will back with Kadri and Orr will be dropped back down. I hope.
adding Frattin and Lupul makes the team that much better, pushes guys down.

Old
02-28-2013, 03:21 PM
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungbaby View Post
It was a nice story for awhile, but there was probably a reason he was in the minors all these years.
I honestly can't stand his slow decision making anymore, he has the simpliest of up plays and he hesitates and complicates, leading to us getting hemmed in. Last night he was pure nonsense on the walls, to call that D is kind. Others had terrible games as well, but Kostka is coming back to earth hard.

Old
02-28-2013, 03:31 PM
daveleaf

I think guys are jumping off the cliff too early. We had our chances and the game could have went the other way. If Grabo scores on the PS and we win 3-2 would guys be complaining?

For the most part this team has held it together. With Frattin back, he is one of the few guys who goes to the net hard, he will be a huge boost for us. Reimer as well, Lupul maybe by the end of March, just in time to make a push for the playoffs.

You guys are jumping on Carlye. If anything you should pat the guy on the back for putting this team in the right order and having them play the way they are. Really, D is made up of guys no one would thought would be on this roster.

Give it some time. We will be fine.

Old
02-28-2013, 03:52 PM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
Yes, but Orr can't handle the puck for Christ's sakes. His lack of skill negates his asset of creating room for Kadri. As soon as Frattin comes back, he will back with Kadri and Orr will be dropped back down. I hope.
Getting awfully tired of hearing how these pugilists are making the difference this year for the Leafs. No they are not.. Its guys like JVR/Kadri/Goaltending and a defensive structure from coaching that is the difference. Not freakin Colton "cant skate" Orr and Fraser "I just came out of jail eyes" McLaren. Please.

Old
02-28-2013, 05:17 PM
black charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffski View Post
Don't think for a second that I'm comparing the two,but,Gretzky played with players not much better than Orr - Semenco,ect.They had his back as well as opening up the ice for him while opponents were looking behind them for an oncoming freight train.

As well,I think Orr is being rewarded for giving everything he's got game in game out.

You don't think RC is also sending a message to the skilled players that heart is as much a part of a hockey player as are stats.

Old
02-28-2013, 05:24 PM
black charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
Getting awfully tired of hearing how these pugilists are making the difference this year for the Leafs. No they are not.. Its guys like JVR/Kadri/Goaltending and a defensive structure from coaching that is the difference. Not freakin Colton "cant skate" Orr and Fraser "I just came out of jail eyes" McLaren. Please.
If this was true,why would the coach not ice better players.

The tough guys allow the other players to play "bigger"knowing that they aren't going to get pushed around.

Old
02-28-2013, 09:46 PM
Mystifo
Lol Doodle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobarth View Post
Didn't last year.
Last year was more of a radioactive decay graph. This more or less applies to this year from what I have seen.

Old
02-28-2013, 09:59 PM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by black charger View Post
If this was true,why would the coach not ice better players.

The tough guys allow the other players to play "bigger"knowing that they aren't going to get pushed around.
Dont buy it. Not saying Orr isnt useful on the bench in certain games but all this talk about how the tough guys are making the difference is hilarious. Watch hockey much?

Old
02-28-2013, 10:01 PM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

Little bit, yeah.

His continued effort to play Kostka/Holzer even after several bad games is kind of annoying.

Old
02-28-2013, 10:04 PM
achtungbaby

Quote:
We can add Franson to the "can't skate" list as well. Holy bejesus does he get left in the dust unless he has a full head of steam already going in the proper direction.

Old
02-28-2013, 10:24 PM
kihei

vCash: 4564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Boucher View Post
Number 1 is the only reason he's on the line.

Orr gives Kadri less space since defenders just forget about Orr and increase their focus on Kadri.

Additionally, given the injury to Frattin, Brown would be a better option than Orr since he can actually keep up with the play.

It is a reward for Orr playing well on the 4th line - but it's not working. Kadri's line would always be buzzing and now they have trouble sustaining pressure. Kadri is still producing but in spite of Orr not because of him.
I think it is more #2. Take liberties with Kadri and you will pay. Carlyle is protecting his prodigy and sending a message simultaneously.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:25 PM
AuraSphere

Liles deserves to play, they're being dicks. Liles over Holzer any day.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:27 PM
hobarth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeenSchenn2 View Post
Little bit, yeah.

His continued effort to play Kostka/Holzer even after several bad games is kind of annoying.
TO's entire defense played poorly last year and Komo and JML were 2 of the worse so what is Carlyle's alternatives. Gardiner is obviously not available until he dominates every game for a month in the AHL or longer. We can rest assured that Eakins will mold him into a star like he did with Kadri. In Eakins everyone trusts?

Old
02-28-2013, 11:34 PM
Guy Boucher

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazeeEddie View Post
Not sure I'd wanna forget Orr was out there if I were playing. Could have disastrous consequences.
Kadri looks just fine out there without Orr. Even better you could say.

Old
03-01-2013, 09:54 AM
Alflives

Quote:
Dont buy it. Not saying Orr isnt useful on the bench in certain games but all this talk about how the tough guys are making the difference is hilarious. Watch hockey much?
If the Leafs did not have those tough guys, just how bravely to you think the softer Leaf's forwards would play? They also allow someone like - Phaneuf - to stay on the ice for more minutes, because he doesn't have to fight. They are extremely important, and Carlyle understands it. The Leafs are going to have a deep play-off run this spring, because the team's toughness is allowing the skill to shine.

Closed Thread