HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NJD 2013 Draft Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2013, 11:38 AM
Getzo5
The Punisher

vCash: 500
So he`s more like Mike Brodeur than Marty Brodeur?

I know just about three hundred players of that age. Only ten to twenty of them would give some props to their opposing goaltender on any given night, but hey, I`ve never seen him, so I`m not judging.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:43 AM
Cowbell232

Little Brodeur is putting up pretty average numbers at Shattuck, and considering what a powerhouse that school is, that's not that good.

But who knows, Marty himself didn't put up the best numbers in Junior either...

02-28-2013, 12:13 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
we drafted a goalie?

vCash: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
I'm pretty certain that the other logo that took off was RG's work
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...1&postcount=98
well I just riffed on their theme of previous logos and stuck with the previous 2 years use of a shield. Since they had not used any state shapes, I tried to think of something iconic about the Prudential center or Newark and "Steely Dan" was the only thing I could come up with and if Pitt can use a skyline, so can Newark. So in truth, I took off their work and tried to anticipate what might be a viable option. I like the state outline though.

Q: How do you think the unthinkable?
A: With an itheberg.
Old
02-28-2013, 05:25 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
I wouldn't want to take Brodeur Jr anyway. Poor kid would get buried under storylines and expectations here.

Old
02-28-2013, 05:51 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

I know he helped us get Kovy, but can anybody explain to me why we picked Bergfors instead of Oshie in 2005?

I can`t wrap my head around it still.

Old
02-28-2013, 05:54 PM
CerebralGenesis

Our scouts like to do their magic in the mid rounds doh

Old
02-28-2013, 05:57 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
I wouldn't want to take Brodeur Jr anyway. Poor kid would get buried under storylines and expectations here.
Being the son of Brodeur, he's going to have that weight on his shoulder no matter where he goes.
It'd be greater pressure here, but we also have less of a media circus than most markets. I think it all balances out.

That being said, I don't want to waste a pick on legacy instead of talent if it comes down to that.

Old
02-28-2013, 06:00 PM
apice3*

Whether we like it or not, I expect us to draft the kid regardless. At the very least, it's a thank you to the real Brodeur.

Lou is a loyal guy. Maybe trade down to get an extra pick just to get him.

Old
02-28-2013, 06:10 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post
I know he helped us get Kovy, but can anybody explain to me why we picked Bergfors instead of Oshie in 2005?

http://cdn.nhl.com/futures/cssrankin.../naskaters.pdf
http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=7006

Oshie was an off the board selection. 43rd amongst North Americans by Central Scouting. He wasn't in Bob McKenzie's top 30 (Bergfors was #19). I vaguely recall seeing video of Jarmo Kekalainen before that draft saying something along the lines of "We're picking somebody unexpected with our pick."

Old
02-28-2013, 06:14 PM
Fayne Staley
Dr. Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Whether we like it or not, I expect us to draft the kid regardless. At the very least, it's a thank you to the real Brodeur.

Lou is a loyal guy. Maybe trade down to get an extra pick just to get him.
if nobody is taking him and it's late in the draft, i can see them doing that.

but is lou going to have to draft every one of his kids just to show loyalty?

Old
02-28-2013, 06:38 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Some of them might be decent. Isn't William a pretty good forward? Or is it Jeremy? One of the twins.

Old
02-28-2013, 06:55 PM
Fayne Staley
Dr. Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Some of them might be decent. Isn't William a pretty good forward? Or is it Jeremy? One of the twins.
William (Forward) is in Midget AA at Shattuck
GP G A PTS PIM
46 21 25 46 47

Jeremy, the other goalie is in Midget AAA

GP MIN W L T GAA SV SV%
32 1613 19 5 7 1.71 744 0.936

Old
03-01-2013, 11:12 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post

I'll give Conte and his staff a pass on that one cause like "Brodeur" said, Oshie was a off the map type pick by the Blues.

The one that irrates me the most is of course, Tedenby over Carlson. We took a small Swede with offensive weapons only over a kid that grew up idolising Scott Stevens, who's a right hand shot, is a US born player and plays the exact type of game we've been missing since Niedermayer bolted to Anaheim.

Every time I think about it, I'm left wondering whyyyyyyyyyy (ala ancy Kerrigan)

Old
03-01-2013, 11:14 AM
Robert Theodorson

Why would you draft Brodeur?

Think about how you would feel if you heard "With the X pick in the X round, the New York Rangers select Anthony Brodeur."

You have to draft the kid.

Old
03-01-2013, 11:35 AM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post

Think about how you would feel if you heard "With the X pick in the X round, the New York Rangers select Anthony Brodeur."

It's a business, if you don't think he's merits being drafted based on his ability, then so be it. And it's not even like he's a potential first rounder like Stefan Matteau was. The most you'd see is a blip about the Rangers (or whoever) using a late round pick on the son of Marty Brodeur.

Old
03-01-2013, 11:46 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:

1- Marty's son get's drafted by the Rags
2- He eventually plays at the NHL level for our biggest rival
3- He sucks on purpose, making him waiver eligible
4- We scoop him up for free
5- He turns out to be better then his dad, with our organisation
6- The Rangers pick in the top #10 and select Hugh Jessiman 2.0
7- PROFIT

Old
03-01-2013, 12:09 PM
BCdevil

Quote:

If Stefan Matteau of the Devils scored a goal on Anthony Brodeur of the Rangers, the universe would implode on itself. Does Fetisov have a kid who could botch the play completely for the Rangers?

Last edited by BCdevil: 03-01-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old
03-01-2013, 12:11 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCdevil View Post
If Stefan Matteau of the Devils scored a goal on Anthony Brodeur of the Rangers, the universe would implode on itself. Does Fetisov have a kid would could botch the play completely for the Rangers?
Despite everything he's done in his entire career, I've hated Festisov ever since that baseball slide attempt that saw Matteau score the clinching goal.

Old
03-01-2013, 12:13 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
we drafted a goalie?

vCash: 369
Quote:
If Stefan Matteau of the Devils scored a goal on Anthony Brodeur of the Rangers, the universe would implode on itself. Does Fetisov have a kid would could botch the play completely for the Rangers?
"We already have a George."

The only thing that would make it better is if Fetisov's son would defect from the KHL to sign with the Rangers.

Old
03-01-2013, 12:55 PM
Bleedred
Waive Bone Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
Despite everything he's done in his entire career, I've hated Festisov ever since that baseball slide attempt that saw Matteau score the clinching goal.

I did too. The guy was absolutely useless for the most part during that series. In fact I don't think I ever liked Slava the player that much, but I pretty much had it with him at that point. Management obviously did too as they sent him to the Wings for a bag of pucks the next year.

Now Slava the coach I did like a lot.

Old
03-01-2013, 09:14 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
If Stefan Matteau of the Devils scored a goal on Anthony Brodeur of the Rangers, the universe would implode on itself. Does Fetisov have a kid who could botch the play completely for the Rangers?
The hockey gods do have a sense of humour. It could happen.

Old
03-01-2013, 09:22 PM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
"We already have a George."

The only thing that would make it better is if Fetisov's son would defect from the KHL to sign with the Rangers.
hey busch beer

Old
03-02-2013, 11:48 AM
Czech Trio

None of MB's kid will make the NHL. Waste of a pick especially with the occasional usable player our scouts find from draft to draft. Maybe 6th/7th on the goalie thats it.

Old
03-06-2013, 06:29 PM
Brodeur

http://iphone.tsn.ca/tsnpodcasts/Dra...20Feb%2022.mp3

About halfway through this podcast with Craig Button (there's a chunk at the end with Jarmo Kekalainen which sounds promising). He relayed a couple of old draft stories. In particular a couple interesting ones......

1991: The Persian Gulf War had a slight impact on teams and who'd they send to scout in Europe. Button (early in his career as a scout for Minnesota) caught Peter Forsberg who was dominant in the 4 Nations (USSR, Sweden, Finland, Czechoslovakia). Later they'd send a couple more seasoned scouts to check out Forsberg and they came back with lukewarm feelings.

After Forsberg started breaking out, they realized that it was kind of stupid to send one set of eyes to scout a prospect early in the season and then send out completely different scouts later.

1998: Now with Dallas, Button said that their staff loved Simon Gagne. They had a chance to move up, but GM Bob Gainey felt confident that Gagne would be available at #27. Philadelphia took him at #22. Meanwhile, their new backup plan was Jiri Fischer who was unexpectedly falling. Again, Gainey stood pat rather than trade up. Detroit took Fischer at #25.

Button didn't say anything other than that, but Dallas would end up trading #27 to us and we'd get Scott Gomez.

Old
03-07-2013, 07:42 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

I'm not advocating that we should be tanking here but if Marty is out for a long period of time, like suggested, I don't like our chances to make the postseason... especially when we can't score more then a goal per game. I love Moose but he's not a starter and our backup is a kid that has zero NHL experience.

Teams who are behind us in the standings aren't falling off the tracks like we are and they are quickly picking up ground on the gap we've created by having a stellar start to this season.

If for whatever reason, this team can't turn it around for the reasons mentionned above, I can see us picking in the top #10 and if that happens, I wouldn't be surprised one bit if Lou managed to move up by making a move on draft day with most probably a roster player (d-men) and a prospect (Josefson, Gélinas, Merrill, etc).

There's a couple of wildcards in this draft but the biggest one out there IMO is Valeri Nichushkin. We all know that Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin and Barkov will probably go in the top #4, wich doesn't seem realistic for us, but I can see someone like Valeri Nichushkin being available in the #7 to #12 range and he'd be a real gem if we could land someone like him.

He's a big strong skater that has excellent speed, protects the puck real well, isn't afraid to go hard to the net and can finish with the best of them. I'd love to get my hands on Drouin but I doubt my dream will come true... so my long shot would be Valeri Nichushkin.

Closed Thread