HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Quebec getting a NHL team?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-19-2006, 09:41 AM
  #26
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,347
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
We will know more this year after the census, but Quebec as been growing at double, triple the rate of Winnipeg for the past 5 years according to economic data.

+ Add up some Montreal Customers(All the Quebec city natives), Saguenay, eastern Quebec and dont tell me theres more clients in winnipeg or that they deserve a team more.

The problem in Quebec city is the coliseum, we need a new one with corporative lodges, because we compare with Ottawa in terms of possible clients. That a possible investor talks about Quebec City instead of winnipeg should ring a bell.
Perhaps I underestimated the resolve of people who would cheer for the Nordiques mark II. I figured now that they're all Habs fans, why go back to an inferior franchise?

But the corperate boxes thing is the problem. I also don't think they'd be able to sell very many even if they could. You say QC could compete with Ottawa in terms of potential box sales? I'm not so sure about that but I don't know much about QC aside from that it's nice to visit sometimes.

Anyways, I hated the Nords with a passion and it only got worse when Patty was traded to the former Nords. I'm biased.

BTW Winnepeg is one of the main cities they were considering for relocation if a team went under. Also, the investor guy never said that he'd put a team in QC, he only said it's possible. For all we know he could have Winnepeg in his sights too.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 09:41 AM
  #27
SOLR
Registered User
 
SOLR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto / North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Your site doesn't work.

How many company boxes did they sell?
You should just stop now. I'll correct the link the site seems down atm.

Actually the 4 lodges were sold out, yeah just 4. Why you want to talk about this, of course us from Quebec City know a bit more about it.

Its Obvious Winnipeg is more ready than us, but we are a bigger market its not even close to being an argument. We need a new coliseum bad with or without hockey.

No problem in being competitive with Ottawa in box sales, none. We have some new rich families that are already considering bringing a club by themselfves, they could buy most boxes. The Tanguays, Cirque Du Soleil etc.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 09:44 AM
  #28
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,347
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
You should just stop now. I'll correct the link the site seems down atm.

Actually the 4 lodges were sold out, yeah just 4. Why you want to talk about this, of course us from Quebec City know a bit more about it.

Its Obvious Winnipeg is more ready than us, but we are a bigger market its not even close to being an argument. We need a new coliseum bad with or without hockey.
You're right that I don't know much about QC. The same way you don't know much about Ryder

I do know this. I hated the Nords more than I hated the Leafs.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 09:45 AM
  #29
NORiculous
Registered User
 
NORiculous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,658
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
You're right that I don't know much about QC. The same way you don't know much about Ryder

NORiculous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 09:47 AM
  #30
SOLR
Registered User
 
SOLR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto / North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
You're right that I don't know much about QC. The same way you don't know much about Ryder

I do know this. I hated the Nords more than I hated the Leafs.
<3

Actually Ryder makes me remember Wendel Clark. lol

Dont hate Quebec City because you hate the nords! lol


Last edited by SOLR: 07-19-2006 at 09:54 AM.
SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 10:17 AM
  #31
JordanStaal#1Fan
Registered User
 
JordanStaal#1Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Asbestos, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,611
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Perhaps I underestimated the resolve of people who would cheer for the Nordiques mark II. I figured now that they're all Habs fans, why go back to an inferior franchise?
Because I was born a Nord fan and it took me YEARS after they were gone to cheer for the Habs full time. If my team was to return, I'd probably go back to them.

JordanStaal#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 10:34 AM
  #32
J-D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: the dizzle!
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,030
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
Dont be so pessimistic. It probably wont happen, but if theres a will, its possible. Quebec City is by far the biggest hockey market remaining. The major obstacle is a new building for a hockey club.
No, it's not by far the biggest hockey market remaining. Maybe there is alot of fans in the Quebec, but is there enough corporate support? I really doubt it.

I doubt there will be expansion, but in case of a relocation, my bet is on Houston or maybe Kansas City, with Winnipeg and Portland as distant third and four. Quebec isn't even in the run.

J-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 10:44 AM
  #33
Habsy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 230
vCash: 500
Quoting hockey trade rumours as a source is like asking George Bush to tell the truth.


Habsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 10:45 AM
  #34
Dutch
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Trois-Rivières
Country: Canada
Posts: 572
vCash: 500
And with the Boucher mayor, nothing is gonna get going for the next 4 years.

Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 10:58 AM
  #35
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole
 
Munchausen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Stuck in traffic
Posts: 5,330
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH4THECUP View Post
another problem I see is that a team in Qc city to be successful need to be a winning team (at least 500) because people here knows their hockey and won't pay big money to see lazy millionaires, but good hockey played with heart!
Not trying to be a jerk but I take issue with that argument. Bad teams can play with a lot of heart but lack in talent, experience, etc. The opposite is also true, of ultra-talented and successful teams full of floaters and a poor overall work ethic (those teams rarely do anything in the playoffs though, see Ottawa and NYR last year).

Seems to me if the argument is people in QC know hockey, they should at least know that reality, and be ready to accept it.

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 11:11 AM
  #36
HabuseMoi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,328
vCash: 500
seriously if Red Bull wants a hockey team, it's gonna happen, theyre really friggin rich and theyd have no problem financing the project all by themselves without the help of the city if they wanted to.

HabuseMoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 11:19 AM
  #37
Ape Clutch
Registered User
 
Ape Clutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Country: Haiti
Posts: 3,070
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabuseMoi View Post
seriously if Red Bull wants a hockey team, it's gonna happen, theyre really friggin rich and theyd have no problem financing the project all by themselves without the help of the city if they wanted to.
yeah but don't call the team, The Quebec City RedBulls...

i mean even Disney called them the Ducks, and not the Disneyland...I woudln't let them have a team unless they gave it a normal NHL friggin name!

Ape Clutch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 11:58 AM
  #38
Beatnik
Registered User
 
Beatnik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,637
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Neither of Winnipeg or Quebec will get an NHL team in the next 10-20 year. Both cities have no corporate money and no NHL arena.

Beatnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 12:11 PM
  #39
HabuseMoi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,328
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanye West View Post
yeah but don't call the team, The Quebec City RedBulls...

i mean even Disney called them the Ducks, and not the Disneyland...I woudln't let them have a team unless they gave it a normal NHL friggin name!
well... the red bulls are not THAT bad of a name.... the logo cant be worse than the crap they had on their shirts in the 80's

it could be worse... I mean... the company could be something else and they would end up the Quebec City Tampax or something like that

HabuseMoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 12:15 PM
  #40
StorminZ
Registered User
 
StorminZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 209
vCash: 500
As much as I'd like to see hockey back in Quebec City and Winnipeg ... and hope springs eternal ... I don't know that the NHL is prepared for that ... yet.

While Quebec needs an NHL-capacity arena, it might be ahead of Winnipeg on this front. While Winnipeg has a new arena, the MTS Centre's seating capacity -- at just over 15,000 for hockey (including 46 suites) -- is far below what one would expect (need?) for an NHL franchise . Rexall Place accommodates around 18,000 and that's minmial capacity for today's NHL. Question is whether the MTS Centre can be expanded upwards of 18,000, even 20,000 fans (and whether there is a population base to support that kind of capacity). I recall when the MTS Centre was being built that many questioned the wisdom to build an arena with the seating capacity it has and in a manner/location that made future expansion near impossible IF the city ever hoped to entertain an NHL franchise. Thus, it could be that Winnipeg -- if they hope to seriously entertain a franchise (the NHL's willingness is an entirely different consideration) -- may have to re-build??? Seems a shame to contemplate a 'second' building in Winnipeg considering MTS just opened in 2004. It's more than likely a new arena would need major corporate support and is that available in Winnipeg? It wasn't there before, but maybe things have changed. For Quebec City, that (re-building) is not an issue, though a new building is a major undertaking all on its own.

StorminZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 12:32 PM
  #41
Dutch
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Trois-Rivières
Country: Canada
Posts: 572
vCash: 500
Why did Winnipeg built a 15 000 seats arena ? Why didn't they go for a big junior size arena (10-12 000) seats or an NHL size 18-20 000 seats.

Either cut the costs, or make them worth it.

Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 01:16 PM
  #42
SOLR
Registered User
 
SOLR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto / North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-D View Post
No, it's not by far the biggest hockey market remaining. Maybe there is alot of fans in the Quebec, but is there enough corporate support? I really doubt it.

I doubt there will be expansion, but in case of a relocation, my bet is on Houston or maybe Kansas City, with Winnipeg and Portland as distant third and four. Quebec isn't even in the run.
Yes there is enough corporate support. Its not 1995 anymore.(Economical morosity is gone from this town) I dont know why even as Quebecer we are so pessimist, hockey is in our blood. Name the last city finishing last in the league 4 years in a row with a 13-14k avg attendance. Quebec City.

CGI, Ubisoft, Nurun-Quebecor, Cirque du Soleil, Desjardins, Tanguay, Simons, Videotron just to name a few that were much smaller or simply inexistent back in 1995. Im not even talking about the robotics/high tech companies in the new technological park. Then theres Pepsi etc all the traditional ones. Quebec's private sector doubled in the last 10 years and will re-double in the next 10 years. I know because im part of it. Hiring in Quebec City nowadays is like preaching in the desert, nobody is available, the last 2 guy I hired are from Montreal. My father who is hiring as well says the same thing, 3 tunisian and 1 algerian are his last 4 hiring. Its a total crisis at most government, they have huge trouble replacing the leaving boomers.

All the others US market have much more population, but in terms of hockey fans, its not even close. Seattle(4m pop and close to the western hockey fanbase) would come in 2nd, I dont know why this city doesnt have an hockey team yet. Nashville--->Houston is only logical.

Dont get me wrong, I know it would be hard, theres an arena to build and a concession to move. But I think it could work with the new economic system of the league and a serious, very rich parent. (Like Mr.RedBull billionaire.)

To conclude, a small but I think really meaningfull question.

Any other city would compare in terms of selling the NHL and fostering rivalries? Whats better than brigging back the biggest rivalry of all(one that compares with Tor-mtl and Cal-Ed and Bos-mtl)? Thats what the league needs, now and in the future.


Last edited by SOLR: 07-19-2006 at 01:41 PM.
SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 01:18 PM
  #43
F. Duchemin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: St-Hilaire
Country: Canada
Posts: 776
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to F. Duchemin
overall... i think Kansas City is the next city in line. They got a bigger arena then winnipeg and a nice market with corporation.

F. Duchemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 01:51 PM
  #44
Kirk Muller*
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Montréal
Posts: 3,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH4THECUP View Post
another problem I see is that a team in Qc city to be successful need to be a winning team (at least 500) because people here knows their hockey and won't pay big money to see lazy millionaires, but good hockey played with heart!
I can assure you that you are absolutely and completely wrong about that. As others have pointed out, the Nordiques sold out most of their games all those years that the team was crap. The city likes hockey very much. What you say has no basis in fact.

Kirk Muller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 01:52 PM
  #45
fufonzo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,522
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Duchemin View Post
overall... i think Kansas City is the next city in line. They got a bigger arena then winnipeg and a nice market with corporation.

Ya, they're building that new arena eh?
It looks pretty sweet.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 02:05 PM
  #46
NORiculous
Registered User
 
NORiculous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,658
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
Yes there is enough corporate support. Its not 1995 anymore.(Economical morosity is gone from this town) I dont know why even as Quebecer we are so pessimist, hockey is in our blood. Name the last city finishing last in the league 4 years in a row with a 13-14k avg attendance. Quebec City.

CGI, Ubisoft, Nurun-Quebecor, Cirque du Soleil, Desjardins, Tanguay, Simons, Videotron just to name a few that were much smaller or simply inexistent back in 1995. Im not even talking about the robotics/high tech companies in the new technological park. Then theres Pepsi etc all the traditional ones. Quebec's private sector doubled in the last 10 years and will re-double in the next 10 years. I know because im part of it. Hiring in Quebec City nowadays is like preaching in the desert, nobody is available, the last 2 guy I hired are from Montreal. My father who is hiring as well says the same thing, 3 tunisian and 1 algerian are his last 4 hiring. Its a total crisis at most government, they have huge trouble replacing the leaving boomers.
Good points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
To conclude, a small but I think really meaningfull question.

Any other city would compare in terms of selling the NHL and fostering rivalries? Whats better than brigging back the biggest rivalry of all(one that compares with Tor-mtl and Cal-Ed and Bos-mtl)? Thats what the league needs, now and in the future.
I would even say it was the biggest rivalry of all sports of all time. However, to bring back that kind of rivalry won't produce it self by magic. I wonder how long it would take for it to get fired up to a decent point (Tor-Mtl or Bos-Mtl). I think Cal-Edm is a better rivalry. One other point is that with the sad record the Nords had during their last years in Qc, the rivalry had set down a few notchs.

NORiculous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 03:12 PM
  #47
HabuseMoi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,328
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORiculous View Post
Good points.



I would even say it was the biggest rivalry of all sports of all time. However, to bring back that kind of rivalry won't produce it self by magic. I wonder how long it would take for it to get fired up to a decent point (Tor-Mtl or Bos-Mtl). I think Cal-Edm is a better rivalry. One other point is that with the sad record the Nords had during their last years in Qc, the rivalry had set down a few notchs.
it would come back easily because of one word. Medias.

HabuseMoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 03:37 PM
  #48
Chehabi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,162
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Chehabi
ok not Quebec. But Winnepeg I can really see happening. They already have an arena. And with the Canadian dollar strong, they can now compete for top players with american teams. Canadian teams couldn't do that before.
Only problem is Bettman. I think I hate that guy more than anyone btw for a lot of reasons.

Chehabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 03:47 PM
  #49
wpg_habsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chehabi View Post
ok not Quebec. But Winnepeg I can really see happening. They already have an arena. And with the Canadian dollar strong, they can now compete for top players with american teams. Canadian teams couldn't do that before.
Only problem is Bettman. I think I hate that guy more than anyone btw for a lot of reasons.
I know I would love the Jets to come back, but the real problem is the arena is 1500 seats short of NHL size arena comparable to Edmonton's arena. I think it would be better if we got a WHL team. I would so buy season tickets to a junior team before I would buy season tickets to an NHL team.

There's no doubt with the new NHL deal, a Winnipeg franchise could compete, but the main road block is the small arena...

wpg_habsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 03:52 PM
  #50
beowulf
Poster of the Year!
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,914
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
Duh Quebec City was selling out 35 games when we were last in the league. Get ur facts straight.

http://www.franco-manitobain.org/ind...html~mainFrame

That means nothing because they gave away a ******** of free tickets and those are counted. As mentioned, Winnipeg would be a better choice and has a new arena already.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:04 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.