HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Subban's play since coming back

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2013, 04:45 PM
E = CH²

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
19:58 toi/g
Thank you for substantiating my post.

But even if you add 30 sec to that, that's WAY too low for a player who can play at any position against any quality of opposition and has shown he can do it for 25min/game for many games without a drop in play.

Old
02-28-2013, 04:46 PM
Noob616

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post
I think that's what most Habs fans without player agendas feel, yes.

Winning > anything else.
Dangerous way to run a team. It does not help our team to have PK playing with Francis Bouillon and getting no penalty kill time. Do you honestly believe we're better off with Emelin and Diaz on the PK than Subban?

Old
02-28-2013, 04:48 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:

Winning > anything else.
You can be winning and still have room to improve.

Playing Subban more is only going to make us stronger.

Old
02-28-2013, 04:53 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
seriously...

care about anything on the Habs other than PK ?
I find it somewhat disturbing when I am in agreement with you.

Living far away from Montreal and subscribing to Center Ice to watch the Habs games, I am forced to watch every game with the opponents feed (English). So I get to listen to Jack Edwards and other teams homers.

So far this season, the common denominator from the OPPONENTS viewpoint is that they love it when Subban has the puck. The reason is that he holds on to it too long and it allows the defense to adjust.

Think back to when our PP was on fire at the start of the season. Fast, crisp passes and most teams were left to simply watching the puck go in the net. No time for adjustments on D.

With all of that said, I want Subban to retire from hockey as a lifelong Montreal Canadiens player. There are some parts to his game that he has to improve. And please notice that I did not say anything regarding his style or attitude or any of the other stuff. He needs to adjust better to Therrien's system of puck movement. And I know he will.

Old
02-28-2013, 04:55 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
seriously...

Caring about the development of PK is caring about the Habs.

Let's use a non-Subban example: Galchenyuk isn't playing too well, if Therrien plays him 5-8 min/game and Habs win. Are you going to separate caring about Galchenyuk from caring about the Habs too?

Old
02-28-2013, 04:59 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post

Living far away from Montreal and subscribing to Center Ice to watch the Habs games, I am forced to watch every game with the opponents feed (English). So I get to listen to Jack Edwards and other teams homers.

So far this season, the common denominator from the OPPONENTS viewpoint is that they love it when Subban has the puck. The reason is that he holds on to it too long and it allows the defense to adjust.

Think back to when our PP was on fire at the start of the season. Fast, crisp passes and most teams were left to simply watching the puck go in the net. No time for adjustments on D.

With all of that said, I want Subban to retire from hockey as a lifelong Montreal Canadiens player. There are some parts to his game that he has to improve. And please notice that I did not say anything regarding his style or attitude or any of the other stuff. He needs to adjust better to Therrien's system of puck movement. And I know he will.

omg. I don't even know what to say. Are you really basing your opinion on what Jack Edwards would think ? You admit that they're homers... so why do their opinions hold any weight ? Because you can't find anyone intelligent to back your point ?

It comforts me not to have the same opinion that you have.

Old
02-28-2013, 05:01 PM
HotPie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
You can be winning and still have room to improve.

Playing Subban more is only going to make us stronger.
I'm not saying I don't think Subban shouldn't play more, but it's really hard to find faults with Therrien's player management thus far; it's working.

Subban will have his time. The bottom line is that right now, some people feel Subban should play more because they feel the team might improve; not only is that speculation, it's also dangerous.

It's not like Subban has been so lights out that he necessarily deserves more than the ice time he's been getting either.

Old
02-28-2013, 05:02 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post

omg. I don't even know what to say.

You dont have to say anything. The only opinion that matters is Michel Therrien's.

Take off the homer glasses for next game and watch if Subban holds the puck too long. And then honestly ask yourself if that is a positive for the team or a negative.

Old
02-28-2013, 05:03 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:

omg. I don't even know what to say. Are you really basing your opinion on what Jack Edwards would think ? You admit that they're homers... so why do their opinions hold any weight ? Because you can't find anyone intelligent to back your point ?

Since you edited, I will simply state that the Canadiens have played more teams than the Bruins.

Old
02-28-2013, 05:03 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
You dont have to say anything. The only opinion that matters is Michel Therrien's.

Take off the homer glasses for next game and watch if Subban holds the puck too long. And then honestly ask yourself if that is a positive for the team or a negative.
I don't care about whether he holds on to the puck for too long. I found it laughable that you support your opinion with anything Jack Edwards would say, but it's par for the course with you !

Old
02-28-2013, 05:06 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
I don't care about whether he holds on to the puck for too long. I found it laughable that you support your opinion with anything Jack Edwards would say, but it's par for the course with you !
Typical fanboy reaction. Say something negative about their idol and it becomes personal real fast.

It is obvious that you do not understand that holding on to the puck for too long goes against Therrien's system. And thus, the reason why Subban is on the D line that he is on.

Old
02-28-2013, 05:07 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Typical fanboy reaction. Say something negative about their idol and it becomes personal real fast.

It is obvious that you do not understand that holding on to the puck for too long goes against Therrien's system. And thus, the reason why Subban is on the D line that he is on.
Again, I haven't commented one way or another about whether or not I think PK holds on to the puck for too long. I was just posting to tell you that I find the way you form an opinion completely laughable. You listen to other team's homer announcers, you admit they're homers, and you use that to justify your opinion. Common man, that's just ridiculous, sorry.

Old
02-28-2013, 05:08 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:

I've head nothing but praise on him from most announcers... Jack Edwards is an idiot.
Quote:
I'm not saying I don't think Subban shouldn't play more, but it's really hard to find faults with Therrien's player management thus far; it's working.

Subban will have his time. The bottom line is that right now, some people feel Subban should play more because they feel the team might improve; not only is that speculation, it's also dangerous.

It's not like Subban has been so lights out that he necessarily deserves more than the ice time he's been getting either.
His time is now. He's a number one now.

Look, MT's results have been great, but he's not perfect. I don't know what the hell they're doing with Subban but it makes absolutely no ****ing sense to me at all.

It's not speculation, PK is our best defenseman. It's very simple... PLAY HIM. The only thing that's "dangerous" here is watching MT alienate and leash our best blueliner. He needs to smarten up on this. He should be on the ice at least 25 mins a night.

Old
02-28-2013, 05:11 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Again, I haven't commented one way or another about whether or not I think PK holds on to the puck for too long. I was just posting to tell you that I find the way you form an opinion completely laughable. You listen to other team's homer announcers, you admit they're homers, and you use that to justify your opinion. Common man, that's just ridiculous, sorry.
I hate to tell you this but I do watch every game and I see what players are doing on the ice in real time. I form my own opinions.

I am simply stating what other hockey analysts are saying without the fanboy glasses that you wear so well.

Jack Edwards is a dick.

Old
02-28-2013, 05:13 PM
HotPie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I've head nothing but praise on him from most announcers... Jack Edwards is an idiot.

His time is now. He's a number one now.

Look, MT's results have been great, but he's not perfect. I don't know what the hell they're doing with Subban but it makes absolutely no ****ing sense to me at all.

It's not speculation, PK is our best defenseman. It's very simple... PLAY HIM.
Again, this is mostly your opinion though. Which is fine, but I'll defer to Therrien on this one.

Old
02-28-2013, 05:24 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Again, this is mostly your opinion though. Which is fine, but I'll defer to Therrien on this one.
He is our best defenseman. He played 25 mins + a night last year and played great hockey. I don't think this is just my opinion.

And I don't think it's just my opinion that playing him with Bouillon on the 3rd line pairing makes no sense.

Old
02-28-2013, 05:40 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
seriously...

You remind me of the people here who thought nothing of our team being too small and soft a couple years back because we were winning. There's always room for improvement and since this is a messageboard, I will comment on certain things. Just like I said Eller should get more playing time when we were....winning. And he has gotten more time.

As far as teams loving when Subban has the puck...that simply isn't true. Citing Jack Edwards as a source is

Old
02-28-2013, 05:42 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:

Winning > anything else.
Silly, short sighted and illogical post. Pretty sure people were still disgusted with Gomez when we were winning.

Am I a fan of Subban? You're damn right. I'm a fan of several other players on this team as well and if I think they're being misused or unfairly criticized I will comment on it.

Old
02-28-2013, 05:44 PM
icerocket

Lol is SouthernHab is STILL hating Subban?

Old
02-28-2013, 05:48 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:

Maybe you should watch other offensive dman with the same talent or more than PK and see how long they hold the puck or make plays outside of the box. Watch how they rush the puck up ice and lose it....

As someone else said...I think PK is being turned into a different player and I don't get it. He's exuberant...if that's not what you're looking for, then trade him for a drone that will do what is asked.

PK is the type of guy you adjust to and help him with his game..you don't make him play a different game and change the way he is. It's stupid.

You think he'd be playing as a 5th dman without any PK time on any other team? It's silly.

Old
02-28-2013, 05:57 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Caring about the development of PK is caring about the Habs.

Let's use a non-Subban example: Galchenyuk isn't playing too well, if Therrien plays him 5-8 min/game and Habs win. Are you going to separate caring about Galchenyuk from caring about the Habs too?
more like (maybe not you) caring about seeing their little darling on the ice more often, seems that wether he improves or not is irrelevant as long as his fans see him on the ice.

Old
02-28-2013, 05:57 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Sometimes I feel like I'm reading someone speak of this up and coming prospect who's getting his first cracks at the NHL, or a guy like Weber or a bit better.

He is playing with Francis Bouillon on a 3rd pairing while Emelin is looking absolutely lost on his off wing.
He is used 53sec on the PK per game when he was our best PK player in the previous years either with Gill or Gorges. He is also 2sec short of being the least used Dman at Even Strength. That alone is already ridiculous.
Everytime he has the puck and goes in his ''PK mode'' where he would create some interesting things last year (granted, sometimes it lead nowhere and caused turnovers), he stops and goes for a simple pass or dump in.
He rarely goes up in the offensive zone anymore. He doesn't seem to look for those big major hits anymore. You never see him get in the opposition's face.

He plays a very calm and discreet game, or at least he's trying to.

He doesn't look like the PK of the two previous years, and I don't think this is coming from him.

Last year he was trying to do too much, now we have him do way to little, to the point where he looks confused at times.
Montreal is 13-4-3 They've cut their goals against down considerably. They're giving up way fewer shots. They're playing as a unit. It may not last, but it's working right now. PK is not bigger than the team. He knows it and accepts it, why can't the fans? He is doing the little things so much better. He isn't putting himself into near as many high risk situations. That results in fewer scoring chances, but also helps his team keep the puck out of the net. If we were down by one late in the third (except for the Bruins game, there hasn't been any time this season it's happened), the reigns may get loosened and he can take chances.
At some point we have to trust the staff to do the right thing.

Old
02-28-2013, 05:58 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Maybe you should watch other offensive dman with the same talent or more than PK and see how long they hold the puck or make plays outside of the box. Watch how they rush the puck up ice and lose it....

As someone else said...I think PK is being turned into a different player and I don't get it. He's exuberant...if that's not what you're looking for, then trade him for a drone that will do what is asked.

PK is the type of guy you adjust to and help him with his game..you don't make him play a different game and change the way he is. It's stupid.

You think he'd be playing as a 5th dman without any PK time on any other team? It's silly.
huh no...

20 guys dont adjust to a single individual, it's the other way around.

Were not talking about Bobby Orr here for christ sake.

Old
02-28-2013, 06:04 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

PK Subban is paid to help the team win games, not perform acts with heroic intents that have awful results, such as the 3-on-2 that ended our playoff run. You think Nick Lidstrom would try that ********? Of course not. Making the RIGHT play is the most important thing, everything else is secondary.

Old
02-28-2013, 06:04 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
more like (maybe not you) caring about seeing their little darling on the ice more often, seems that wether he improves or not is irrelevant as long as his fans see him on the ice.
You just sound silly now.

Closed Thread