02-28-2013, 06:29 PM
Thumper17

vCash: 500

Thumper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 06:31 PM
GernBlanston

I'm not sure how I feel abut this one. There is no question that the Flames need a natural center, and ROR has some talent... But he's very young and I'm not sure he's been consistent enough to warrant the attention he's been getting. He led the Avs in scoring, but someone had to. As a Panthers fan who has seen a best-situation 2nd line center be the first line center for 10 years just out of necessity, I'm not sure this is really the answer.

I love Stephen Weiss... Would you pay him $5M per? Cuz I don't think ROR is much better than Weiss. Flames need the center now... I get it. But does this guy make the Flames a playoff team? Have you seen Drouin's or McKinnon's hands?

No idea what to think.

GernBlanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 06:34 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by GernBlanston View Post
I'm not sure how I feel abut this one. There is no question that the Flames need a natural center, and ROR has some talent... But he's very young and I'm not sure he's been consistent enough to warrant the attention he's been getting. He led the Avs in scoring, but someone had to. As a Panthers fan who has seen a best-situation 2nd line center be the first line center for 10 years just out of necessity, I'm not sure this is really the answer.

I love Stephen Weiss... Would you pay him $5M per? Cuz I don't think ROR is much better than Weiss. Flames need the center now... I get it. But does this guy make the Flames a playoff team? Have you seen Drouin's or McKinnon's hands?

No idea what to think.
That is going through my mind exactly. I'd rather see MacKinnon in the Flaming C than Ryan ****ing O'Reilly

I Hate Chris Butler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 06:37 PM
Skobel24
#Ignited

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Chris Butler View Post
That is going through my mind exactly. I'd rather see MacKinnon in the Flaming C than Ryan ****ing O'Reilly
Lets be realistic though. The odds of Calgary being in position to pick MacKinnon are slim. A top 5 pick MIGHT happen for this team, but we're far more likely to be in the 6-11 range.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 06:38 PM
bgkennedy19

the Flames are still refusing to accept what they are and are still trying to find shortcuts instead of putting the actual work in to make a winner. This could be almost as disastrous as the Kessel trade was for Toronto if the picks given up end up being in the top five.[/QUOTE]

A young tough top 1-2 center is just what Calgary needs going forward. Not hvaing a pick in the first 4rounds of a deep draft sucks however.

bgkennedy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 06:38 PM
Shawnofthedeadz

Quote:
Originally Posted by GernBlanston View Post

No idea what to think.
Its not just that ROR is a little bit better but he has tremendous upside! Only 22 this kid could become that number 1 centre we have always needed. I know I'm excited for him.

Shawnofthedeadz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 06:39 PM
Nordberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Chris Butler View Post
I agree, but the more likely situation if we don't make this offer is we might pick Monahan at 7(if we're lucky) and then we sit and hope for 2 years that he turns into... Oh that's right... Ryan O'Reilly.

Nordberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 06:43 PM
WhatASaveDave

i think calgary can turn this around if they get some more toughness. Call up mcgrattan, trade for mike brown and trade for a young goalie like Bishop.

Tanguay - O'Reilly - Iginla
Glencross - Cammellarie - Stempniak
Hudler - Cervenka - Comeau
Brown - Stajan - McGratton

Boumester - Giordano
Brodie - Wideman
____ - _____

Kipper
Bishop

tough up the team

WhatASaveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 06:50 PM
marty111

LOVE this move for you guys.

Super jealous you guys can nab him for two picks. Anyway, a congratulations may be in order in a week from now.

Stellar move by Feaster.

marty111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 06:56 PM
Fleury14
Kipper

Awesome, just awesome.

I've been on the "acquire O'Reilly" bandwagon but I did not see an offer sheet coming.

Although, if Colorado does decline to match, it puts a lot of pressure on O'Reilly right away to improve the team (so the pick isn't as high) and he could take a while to adjust to the NHL speed again.

Long-term, I think it could be a great move and that O'Reilly could be a great/top 2nd line C and captain-type.

I suspect Colorado will match though, although that $6.5m for the 2nd year is a bit scary as it means the QO does have to be that high.

Fleury14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 06:58 PM
Hand of Gaudreau
Gaudreaubey Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatASaveDave View Post
i think calgary can turn this around if they get some more toughness. Call up mcgrattan, trade for mike brown and trade for a young goalie like Bishop.

Tanguay - O'Reilly - Iginla
Glencross - Cammellarie - Stempniak
Hudler - Cervenka - Comeau
Brown - Stajan - McGratton

Boumester - Giordano
Brodie - Wideman
____ - _____

Kipper
Bishop

tough up the team
Why would we trade assets for Bishop when Ramo will be here in a month or so? And why do your line not include Baertschi??

Anyhow, I think that Colo won't match, but that they will take the max time deciding because the longer a div rival is without a key player the better for them.

Hand of Gaudreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 07:01 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowzie View Post
This is laughable.

Sorry Calgary, now you know what it's like to be a Leaf fan.
Franchises are built around good young centers ROR fits the bill

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 07:02 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFinnishStarter View Post
Why would we trade assets for Bishop when Ramo will be here in a month or so? And why do your line not include Baertschi??

Anyhow, I think that Colo won't match, but that they will take the max time deciding because the longer a div rival is without a key player the better for them.
Because Bishop hammers ramo.

Altho I thinkthe Flames should sign Lehner when he's up and **** the Sens.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 07:02 PM
tfong

I like Ror.

Though while I think he tops out at 70 pointz you are talking about a guy that has massive takeaway numbers (more than Datsyuk last year) has good size, can win face offs and on top of that is only 22. It's like accelerated prospect growth.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 07:05 PM
sammy d

This is a stupid move and proves exactly why the Flames are going nowhere. For years they have been trading away draft picks and picking up has-beens, what has it got them? This team should have tanked 3 years ago and built thru the draft, instead they give away a 1st that will be a top ten, probably higher, in one of the best drafts in years. I could see this working on a team that is on the way up but the Flames have been stagnant for years and with moves like this will still be battling for 9th for many more. ROR has had one good year!!

sammy d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 07:06 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

Leafs gave up TWO first round picks and a second. If this deal goes through it still won't be as bad as Seguin and Hamilton.

King In The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
special_loob

while i understand the big 2nd year salary to deter colorado from matching due to huge qualifying offer, we'd still be faced with the same issue if we end up with him.

works both ways, and i don't like how this could handcuff us summer 2014.

i also don't like giving up our 1st pick in this year's draft.

this is a huge gamble.

special_loob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Stewie Griffin
#unsustainable

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
Awesome...why not?
How many picks will the flames have in the top 90 in "the deepest draft in a while" if Colorado does not match?

Not sure I lok this move - at the cap hit or the cost.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 07:07 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy d View Post
This is a stupid move and proves exactly why the Flames are going nowhere. For years they have been trading away draft picks and picking up has-beens, what has it got them? This team should have tanked 3 years ago and built thru the draft, instead they give away a 1st that will be a top ten, probably higher, in one of the best drafts in years. I could see this working on a team that is on the way up but the Flames have been stagnant for years and with moves like this will still be battling for 9th for many more. ROR has had one good year!!
Let's hear more from the guy who argues like this "Montreal has 24 cups Boston has three hahahahaha you guys suk"

King In The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 07:08 PM
Asher

I don't think it was the right move for the Flames (JMO), but good luck. I do give Feaster credit for showing a lot of guts on this one.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 07:11 PM
PKarey Plekoretty

Hey folks

Anyone know what ROR contract status at the end of next year? Is he RFA or UFA?

PKarey Plekoretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 07:13 PM
3rdEye
HF Official Producer

I'm on the fence about this one. If we get O'Reilly, we are left with ZERO picks in the 1st 3 rounds. That just can't happen. Kipper/Iggy/Gio/Jay-Bo will HAVE to be moved for picks at the deadline.

3rdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 07:14 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKarey Plekoretty View Post
Hey folks

He's RFA until he's 27, plays 700 games (maybe less), or isn't tendered a QO.

I Hate Chris Butler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 07:15 PM
special_loob

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKarey Plekoretty View Post
Hey folks

he's an RFA but either the flames or avs would have to tender a qualifying offer of $6.5M in order to re-sign him or else he walks as a UFA.

Old
02-28-2013, 07:16 PM
special_loob

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoRD View Post
I'm on the fence about this one. If we get O'Reilly, we are left with ZERO picks in the 1st 3 rounds. That just can't happen. Kipper/Iggy/Gio/Jay-Bo will HAVE to be moved for picks at the deadline.
the compensation is a 1st AND a 3rd. we'd retain our 2nd round pick.

EDIT: sorry, i forgot we traded our 2nd to montreal. this is even worse than i thought.