Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jets interested in O'Reilly? UPDATE: CGY Offer sheet COL matches

Old
02-28-2013, 05:08 PM
Le Golie

vCash: 500
It amuses me when teams ask for more trade return than an offer sheet would bring back. Trading three major assets away rather than two draft picks, one high value and one medium value, is insane.

This wasn't going to end any other way. He was going to sign with his team, he was going to be traded for a package equal or less than a 1st and a 3rd, or he was going to be signed to an offer sheet.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 05:18 PM
JetsHomer

vCash: 50
Avs are screwed. Pick is currently 8th over all. It will likely end up around 10-16 with Ror. Or they can match and they won't be able to trade him. 365 days from when offer sheet is matched will be past next years trade deadline. 6.5m minimum if they want to resign him after 2014.

Should have just paid the man. Thank God Chevy knows how to get young guys locked up. I'd be pissed if someone had done this to Kane

JetsHomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 05:26 PM
ahplk

I'm glad this is over (over for us anyways) before Chevy had a chance to do something crazy like trade Trouba. Not that I think he would, but you never know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
Avs are screwed. Pick is currently 8th over all. It will likely end up around 10-16 with Ror. Or they can match and they won't be able to trade him. 365 days from when offer sheet is matched will be past next years trade deadline. 6.5m minimum if they want to resign him after 2014.

Should have just paid the man. Thank God Chevy knows how to get young guys locked up. I'd be pissed if someone had done this to Kane
A 10-14 pick *could* win the draft lottery for 1st overall...very remote possibility but if I'm an Avs fan, I hope to god that Calgary misses the playoffs.

ahplk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 06:01 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
The problem from the Ava perspective is if they match they can't trade him for a full year which would likely be past next seasons trade deadline. Then to maintain his Rfa rights they'd have to qualify him at 6.5.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 06:27 PM
Channelcat

vCash: 2014
Colorado will match, but I really hope they don't. I cant see ror being productive for a couple weeks yet, plus they have a week to decide. I honestly see Calgary in a bottom 5 position which could ensure a "gamechanger" pick. Either way, bad move by Feaster. This just drives up salaries even more.

Channelcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 06:31 PM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
Put an end to that speculation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channelcat View Post
Colorado will match, but I really hope they don't. I cant see ror being productive for a couple weeks yet, plus they have a week to decide. I honestly see Calgary in a bottom 5 position which could ensure a "gamechanger" pick. Either way, bad move by Feaster. This just drives up salaries even more.
Yes, it's well known that Feaster is an idiot. Remember last year's 1st round pick, anyone?

DespoticNewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 06:34 PM
Aries56

Flames put Colorado in a real tough spot. I bet their GM is wishing he pulled the trigger on a trade now.

They take the picks and they get a potentially mid round first and a third. WAY less then their GM was pushing for (roster player and top prospect).

They match the offer and they get a disgruntled player, who clearly doesn't want to be with the team. They have to pay him 6.5 million in the second year, and have to shell out another at least 6.5 million as a QO when he's up for contract again.

I bet the much debated Little + draft pick would look pretty good to their GM right now

Aries56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 06:36 PM
JetsHomer

How exactly is signing orielly going to cause Flames to fall in the standings?

Old
02-28-2013, 06:36 PM
ahplk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
The problem from the Ava perspective is if they match they can't trade him for a full year which would likely be past next seasons trade deadline. Then to maintain his Rfa rights they'd have to qualify him at 6.5.
Feaster better hope he's worth it...he just made a huge roll of the dice on Colorado's 3rd line center.

He's projected to be a top #2C by most but will be paid like Datsyuk in a year...6.5 mil (more than anyone on our team!) as a 23 year old and may never be a true #1C!

Calgary just made a whole whack of GM's upset setting a contract precedent like this after a lockout.

ahplk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 06:48 PM
Ziggy66

Smooth move by Calgary. Ror should turn out to be a good addition to their roster if it works out.

Ziggy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 06:54 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
Yes, it's well known that Feaster is an idiot. Remember last year's 1st round pick, anyone?
I disagree. It's well known jankowski was their man, and they knew if they traded down he would still be available.

Wether or not jankowski turns out is a completely different issue.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 06:58 PM
SCP Guy

That's too much money next year when the cap drops IMHO....

SCP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 07:18 PM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

Flames are so dumb. That team needs to re stock their system, this does the opposite. Kipper and Iggy are almost done, why would you give up draft picks for 1 player who is going to mess with your cap too.

Calgary has never been able to admit they missed out on their cup chances with that roster that included Kipprusoff, Iginla, Regehr and Phaneuf. They continually make puzzling decisions.

I honestly have no idea what Colorado will do.

02-28-2013, 07:34 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brogosian View Post
Flames are so dumb. That team needs to re stock their system, this does the opposite. Kipper and Iggy are almost done, why would you give up draft picks for 1 player who is going to mess with your cap too.

Calgary has never been able to admit they missed out on their cup chances with that roster that included Kipprusoff, Iginla, Regehr and Phaneuf. They continually make puzzling decisions.

Not worth the match IMO. Fester is trying to save his job I'm thinking. He's not concerned about 2 years down the road when they have to offer him $6.5 to keep his rights. Probably wont even be worth it then

Old
02-28-2013, 07:47 PM
JetsHomer

Not really sure how this is a bad move for the Flames. Ror had 55 points last year at 21. Clearly they see him as their center of the future. Adding a 22 year old center is not exactly counter productive on a rebuild. Odds are that draft pick will not be as good as Oreilly.

Old
02-28-2013, 07:52 PM
viper0220
Go Jets Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brogosian View Post

You are 100% correct, Calgary should have started their rebuild 2-3 years ago. As a Jets fan I am relieved, that this is over. I had bad feeling that we were going to get involved in this and it was going to cost us Trouba.

viper0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 08:38 PM
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*

Avs matched the offersheet

GermanJetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 08:44 PM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
Not really sure how this is a bad move for the Flames. Ror had 55 points last year at 21. Clearly they see him as their center of the future. Adding a 22 year old center is not exactly counter productive on a rebuild. Odds are that draft pick will not be as good as Oreilly.
It's not just the draft picks -- it's the contract offer and what Calgary would have had to offer him as an RFA. Totally out of whack, especially if he doesn't continue to improve.

The point is moot anyways, but Calgary needs to face reality one of these days. They always seem to add one player that keeps them hanging around the playoff equation. Their core is old and getting older. Kipper and Iginla could have (and still could) fetch them some nice picks and assets.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 08:48 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanJetsFan View Post
Avs matched the offersheet
Didn't take long. Shot themselves in the foot. They could have gotten him for less a month ago.

And that's why you don't give offer sheets. Flames essentially just made a division rival better and got nothing from it.

Old
02-28-2013, 08:55 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 5949
Really surprised they matched. Oh well, good for us that the Avs will have that anchor of a contract.

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 09:13 PM
meedle

cmon Little. shot it right at him.

meedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 09:14 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by meedle View Post
Wrong thread buddy

Old
02-28-2013, 10:18 PM
PerryPooley

Quote:
Originally Posted by meedle View Post
He just wanted to antagonize Av's management by referencing a player they POSSIBLY could have gotten back in a trade with the Jets...

PerryPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 02:13 AM
almostawake

And that's why you don't offer sheet a player if you actually want him.

almostawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 10:14 AM
broinwhyteridge
bro license revoked!

Stupid offer sheet... stupid to match IMO.

broinwhyteridge is offline   Reply With Quote