HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Comcast broadcasting crew thread

Old
02-21-2013, 04:31 PM
poneill27

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm MacDonald View Post
I love Jackson's subtle, passive aggressive homerism.

"Giroux taken down!.... and NO CALL! "

"Crosby goes down and they're going to call it! Boy, they're really calling this one tight, which is fine... but you hope they be consistent throughout the game. Credit to Crosby, he did a good job selling it."
HA HA!! Yup I love JJ. The diffrence is he is the Flyers commentator unlike the crew calling last night's game who are supposed to be unbiased. But their bias was coming thru loud and clear!!

poneill27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 07:34 PM
MsWoof

I can't stand Coates or JJ anymore. Coates has always been an embarrassment but you put up with him because he's like the wacky uncle that comes over but a few times a year for holiday dinners but otherwise keep your distance from.

JJ used to be really good, you expect them to want the team to win but the out and out fear of calling out any play or player has gotten ridiculous. I've only watched the 2nd period tonight and twice he's questioned whether a Panther player really kept the play onside. I know this is a league wide thing now where home announcers never criticize their own team but for a league that constantly changes the game and wants to grow the game, they are doing a disservice to people who are trying to learn the game. How are they supposed to learn when the announcers keep painting a different picture than what's actually happening? And for people who do know the game, do they think they are pulling the wool over our eyes?

The constant denial of almost any penalty to a Flyer is another issue. It just happened again tonight when they were feeling sorry for Schenn's hit from behind while also saying he drove the guys head into the glass!

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 07:54 PM
Ryker

Can Coatsey actually read or how does he manage to butcher the "quote of the game" so often?

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 06:33 PM
Phunhog

Was at the game last night, anybody else think Lou's "Are you ready for some hockey?" is a little cheesey.

What's wrong with Coatsey's nose? On TV it looks like the end of his nose is prosthetic. It's a different color

Does anybody else think that hockey is the hardest sport to do play by play? Constant line changes, guick pace, European names, etc...Props to Jim Jackson.

Phunhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 06:53 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

I get root sports here at school, so I watch the Pens games if the Flyers aren't on/if there is something else better on TV.

CSNPhilly crew >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ROOT pitt crew.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 06:55 AM
Hooah4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunhog View Post
Was at the game last night, anybody else think Lou's "Are you ready for some hockey?" is a little cheesey.

What's wrong with Coatsey's nose? On TV it looks like the end of his nose is prosthetic. It's a different color

Does anybody else think that hockey is the hardest sport to do play by play? Constant line changes, guick pace, European names, etc...Props to Jim Jackson.
Rosacea...can be genetic 5% of the population have it that way. the other way to get it is from chronic alcohol consumption. aka "drinker's nose"

Hooah4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 12:02 PM
GingerFetish

Send a message via Skype™ to GingerFetish
I don't see how anyone can dislike JJ or Coatsey. They focus on being objective and fair, and the only complaint I hear about them is that they aren't tough enough on calls or the players, that's the coach job .

I like Doc and Pierre too, except the other night where they jumped on a train about Harry Z getting a call from Brendan Shanahan, you wouldn't see someone like JJ do that.

Plus Tastykakes.

P.S: and a lot of other announcers suck!

GingerFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 01:32 PM
Ryker

The one thing I liked about Doc the other night against Washington was that he's not afraid to talk about the possible shutout, whereas Jim Jackson seems to be avoiding it lately. I'm not sure if I remember correctly, but was it that in one of the broadcasts years ago he was talking about it and then shortly thereafter the shutout was broken? I have it somewhere in the back of my mind that he then later once talked about this and said someone "complained" or something for jinxing it. Still, I'd like him to not avoid this issue, because it's stupid to do so.

Old
03-08-2013, 11:43 PM
Ryker

Did anyone else catch JJ the other night against the Pens seriously contemplating whether the Flyers vs. Penguins rivalry is the best rivalry in sports right now?

Old
03-08-2013, 11:46 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Did anyone else catch JJ the other night against the Pens seriously contemplating whether the Flyers vs. Penguins rivalry is the best rivalry in sports right now?
Yeah in ALL of sports they said....what an absurd statement. They should be embarrassed

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:49 PM
Ryker

Well, what does "in sports" mean if not "in all of sports"?

Old
03-08-2013, 11:54 PM
Phileeguy
G's got good hands.

I'm not saying they're right or wrong, but just to play Devil's advocate, what rivalry/rivalries would you put ahead of this one?

Phileeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:01 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Well, what does "in sports" mean if not "in all of sports"?
I know it's the same thing but ALL adds emphasis and that is what they were trying to convey which I thought was funny.

As far as Devil's advocate....I would put one of the major sports league rivalries (Football, basketball and to an extent baseball) ahead of a hockey one. Right now one doesn't come to mind

Old
03-09-2013, 12:02 AM
Ryker

Oh, don't get me wrong, this rivalry is awesome, and you know you have something good going on when local tabloids are painting the opposition's star in a dress. But I don't think it comes close to, say, Barcelona vs. Real Madrid, Partizan vs. Crvena Zvezda, some of the English Premier League rivalries etc.

Old
03-09-2013, 12:05 AM
Phileeguy
G's got good hands.

Oh, we're going World Football then eh? Sure that definitely counts, but I have a funny feeling JJ was limiting what he meant at the time to the 4 major North American team sports. I don't know how well he knows La Liga or the Premier League.

Phileeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 01:13 AM
BillDineen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phileeguy View Post
Oh, we're going World Football then eh? Sure that definitely counts, but I have a funny feeling JJ was limiting what he meant at the time to the 4 major North American team sports. I don't know how well he knows La Liga or the Premier League.
He probably thinks "El Clasico" is a burrito at Taco Bell.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 07:25 AM
JustJim

The Comcast crew is a decent bunch of announcers, I just hate between periods when they have that asshat Michael Barkan chatting with Al Morganti. Morganti is a good hockey guy, but Barkan is a complete *********!

JustJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 08:24 AM
JustJim

At least the Flyers colour men used to play the game. Jones was the Hartnell of his day, Clement was a mediocre player on a very good Flyers team ( the last Cup winning teams for this franchise), and then there's Coatsey. A horrible player who took a few shifts for a vey bad Detroit team in the 70's.
The Coatsey's Corner segment is actually a take on the Coaches Corner segment of Hockey Night In Canada, hosted by the true hockey legend Don Cherry! I love "Grapes" Cherry, he loves the rough stuff ( good hits, good fights etc.) but he hates the cheap shots.
Steve Coates would love to be Don Cherry, but falls woefully short. Sort of like the Flyers do when choosing goaltenders since the Hextall years!

JustJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 10:06 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I'm not a fan of Emrick's but it isn't as much to do with any perceived bias, just his voice and over-excitement from relatively mundane plays to great plays.

"HITS THE POST WITH THE SHOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
This is how I feel about JJ. I hate his constant shouting. His voice makes me cringe when he does it. I like Emrick, but JJ's Shouty McYellerson style of broadcasting is annoying.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 09:34 PM
Ryker

I used to think Milbury was an ass, but I have to say I've really enjoyed his analysis during the intermissions when the game is shown on CSN. I think it's much better than the stuff we're getting on a regular basis with Morganti and Boruk, and that thing he has where he can actually play a sequence, pause it and mark what he wants himself is also pretty sweet.

Old
03-14-2013, 09:55 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
I used to think Milbury was an ass, but I have to say I've really enjoyed his analysis during the intermissions when the game is shown on CSN. I think it's much better than the stuff we're getting on a regular basis with Morganti and Boruk, and that thing he has where he can actually play a sequence, pause it and mark what he wants himself is also pretty sweet.
This has been Milbury's best year for analysis, I think. At least that I can recall.

03-14-2013, 10:51 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

I still don't like the dude....he also looks like Hitler with that hairdo.

Old
03-14-2013, 10:53 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Milbury won me over with his Ovie rant a couple of weeks ago.

I still think Keith Jones rant on Radulov in the playoffs last year was better though.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 03-14-2013 at 11:01 PM.
LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 02:02 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Yes. And "DRRRRIIIIIVEEEEEEEEEEEEE."
who can forget waffleboarded away by "insert goalie here"

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 02:32 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
I still don't like the dude....he also looks like Hitler with that hairdo.
Oh ****, that will never be un-seen.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote