HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Who is the best fighter in Habs history?

View Poll Results: Who is the best fighter in Habs history?
Gilles Lupien 4 3.23%
Mario Roberge 9 7.26%
Chris Nilan 76 61.29%
John Kordic 31 25.00%
Todd Ewen 4 3.23%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-18-2006, 01:49 PM
Prrebel

vCash: 500
No question, its Robinson.

Problem was, nobody would dare drop the gloves with him.
Anyone remember the vicious beating he laid on Dave Shultz one year in the playoffs when the "Hammer" ran Dryden. That was the year that the Habs broke up the Philly wantabe dynasty. The Big Bird grabed the Hammer and tossed him around like a rag doll and pounded on him at will.

I'll Never forget the view from the TV camera behind the Habs net. Larry was on top of Dave and the only thing you could see was the jackhammer rights as his arm came up and went down, 5, 6, 7, 8 times. What a beaten'.

Prrebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 02:09 PM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves View Post
Nilan didn't do all that well with Miller, it was Kordic who pounded Miller.

Robinson was probably the second best fighter of his era, next to Clark Gillies.
It was the Flyers' Dave Brown who had the edge on Nilan, Knuckles and Kordic each pounded Miller (who won his share as well).

Gillies was certainly a more prolific fighter than Robinson but I'm not sure that means he was a better fighter.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 02:13 PM
phil

Ratis Ivanans?

phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 02:13 PM
Ford Prefect

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaudius View Post
Lyle Odelein...

Fights with a smile on his face!
I was waiting for someone to mention him. I loved Odelien! Now, I've only been watching hockey for 20 years, so I ddidn't have the pleasure of seeing Robinson or Ferguson, so I can't comment on them. One person though, who was a beast when the occassion served him was Malakhov. I remember Montreal playing either the Isles or NJ (one of the NY area teams). It was a chippy game, and one of the goons took a run at him. He dropped the gloves and PUMMELLED him. It wasn't even close, Vladdy was hitting him at will, and hard. The guy went down without really getting a shot in, and this is what really opened my eyes... Vlady had a hand on his jersey, right on the low point of the V on the collar. One-handed, he lifted the guy from his knees back onto his skates and continued to beat on him, another 5-6 shots at least before the linesmen got involved. My fav Vladdy moment. Does anyone else remember that fight?

Ford Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 05:09 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahqa View Post
Larry Robinson
Larry Robinson. When he fought he was a beast

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 05:16 PM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
Mick Vukota.

benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 05:28 PM
Russeltown

I voted for Kordic

According to Jean Perron: "John Kordic est la preuve vivante que les stéroïdes tuent"

Novice Translation : John Kordic is the living proof that steroids kill.

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 06:36 PM
Biggsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohabs73 View Post
richard zednik

Biggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 06:41 PM
goalchenyuk

Vladimir Malahkov was surprising and really hard and strong ,
Peter Mahovlich wasn't bad too .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 07:38 PM
Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v View Post
Vladimir Malahkov was surprising and really hard and strong ,
Peter Mahovlich wasn't bad too .
If you read Dryden' s book " The Game" you'll see what people thought of Mahovlich's fighting abilities. He was a notoriously poor fighter despite his size. Mario Tremblay once gave him a boxing lesson during a practice.

Without a doubt, Ferguson was the meanest and the toughest. Imagine a very very nasty Chris Nilan and you come close. The best fighter I ever saw. He didn't smile like Odelein, instead he looked like he wanted to kill you. It scared the heck out of people. I remember thinking it was a good thing he was on my team.

Duster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 12:37 PM
mcphee

Ferguson was the best at doing the job of being the team tough guy. No one understood the role like he did. Purely as a fighter though, on the 60's team, when they decided to get tougher, they brought in 3 players, Fergy, Ted Harris and Terry Harper. fergy's the legend, Harper was the most willing, but Harris was the best fighter. IMO, Harris and a guy in Toronto named Orland Kurtenbach were far and away the heavy weights of the league. Fergy didn't go too near OK.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 12:40 PM
Darz

Imo, Kordic was the best, but his time at the top was quite brief, so when taking longevity into account, I would go with Nilan.

07-19-2006, 12:44 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster View Post
If you read Dryden' s book " The Game" you'll see what people thought of Mahovlich's fighting abilities. He was a notoriously poor fighter despite his size. Mario Tremblay once gave him a boxing lesson during a practice.

Without a doubt, Ferguson was the meanest and the toughest. Imagine a very very nasty Chris Nilan and you come close. The best fighter I ever saw. He didn't smile like Odelein, instead he looked like he wanted to kill you. It scared the heck out of people. I remember thinking it was a good thing he was on my team.
Duster,if I have it right, Peter and Mario, roomates at the time,actually got into it in a hotel in St.Louis. Went thru a window as the story goes.

Peter wasn't much of a fighter, though early in his career he was willing. At the time, the Jr.CH had a tough guy named Globensky, this guy could fight. The story was that Fergy was counselling Glob. on fighting and he lectured Peter that he had too much talent and would be stupid to wreck his hands fighting every 3rd game. That's the story I got anyways.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 12:45 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Pierre Bouchard anyone?

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 12:45 PM
ForsbergForever
Red Rocket

John Ferguson is 1st by a wibe margin, at least according my dad, he talks about him in mythical prose, like he could stop bullets with his teeth and knock down an entire team with a single punch.

ForsbergForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 12:47 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
It was the Flyers' Dave Brown who had the edge on Nilan, Knuckles and Kordic each pounded Miller (who won his share as well).

Gillies was certainly a more prolific fighter than Robinson but I'm not sure that means he was a better fighter.
Playfair of the Sabres also had Nilan's number. Nilan was a courageous little pitbull, but IMO was not one of the better fighters of his generation.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 02:08 PM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
Playfair of the Sabres also had Nilan's number. Nilan was a courageous little pitbull, but IMO was not one of the better fighters of his generation.
I agree on Playfair, but I still think Nilan was one of the leagues premier fighters (early 80's), until the advent of the true heavyweights (Brown, Probert, The Grim Reaper, Kocur etc.. who were the top dogs in the late 80's early 90's).

What I recall most was that Nilan had a sweet uppercut that we used to perfection when guys tried to tie him up.

Old
07-19-2006, 02:31 PM
klaudius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Prefect View Post
I was waiting for someone to mention him. I loved Odelien! Now, I've only been watching hockey for 20 years, so I ddidn't have the pleasure of seeing Robinson or Ferguson, so I can't comment on them. One person though, who was a beast when the occassion served him was Malakhov. I remember Montreal playing either the Isles or NJ (one of the NY area teams). It was a chippy game, and one of the goons took a run at him. He dropped the gloves and PUMMELLED him. It wasn't even close, Vladdy was hitting him at will, and hard. The guy went down without really getting a shot in, and this is what really opened my eyes... Vlady had a hand on his jersey, right on the low point of the V on the collar. One-handed, he lifted the guy from his knees back onto his skates and continued to beat on him, another 5-6 shots at least before the linesmen got involved. My fav Vladdy moment. Does anyone else remember that fight?

FordPerfect...we have the same taste in fighters...That was a fight to remember!

cheers

klaudius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 02:40 PM
HabsUnited

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs911 View Post
Pierre Bouchard anyone?
Indeed, I mentionned him on the 1st page.

HabsUnited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 02:40 PM
tinyzombies

I don't know if Robinson ever fought Gillies or not, but I know that he wanted no part of him.

Nilan was great because he was constantly in other people's faces.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 03:00 PM
habfan4

Quote:
I don't know if Robinson ever fought Gillies or not, but I know that he wanted no part of him.

Nilan was great because he was constantly in other people's faces.

Where are you getting this notion that Robinson ducked Gillies? (or anyone for that matter). If Larry turned down an invitation to fight it's likely only because his teammates and more importantly Scotty Bowman didn't want him in the box.

Old
07-19-2006, 03:09 PM
greatlakeshab

1. Robinson he turned the Broad street bullies into the Broad street wussies.< insert P for W

2. Fergusan. No doubt the best real enforcer since Robinson was too valuable for pugilism.

3. Kordic but with a note that he may of been pumped on coke like Probert was.

4. Nilan could really throw some fast punches for a smaller player.

5. Todd Ewen

6. Corson, in his first years Corson was pretty tough don't forget the pummeling he gave Domi

7.John Leclair destroyed some Sabre once. Can't remember if it was Ray or May but no one messed with him again. Malakhov could be placed here as well but both of these guys didn't fight much and few others wanted to find out what they had.

8. Brashear

9. Chris Murray was good when he first started but he broke his hand in a fight then he went downhill sort of scared to punch.

10. I would have to put the Rocket somewhere, he popped a ref Too bad Fraser wasn't a ref back then

The fighter I wish we would of had Tony Twist I remember him tossing Brad Brown around like a rag doll and Brown was 225lbs.

greatlakeshab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 05:56 PM
Moester

Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
Quote:
John Ferguson and Larry Robinson should be on there. Maybe even Rocket Richard.

I think it might be Robinson myself. But if not, it's definitely Kordic. I gotta go with Larry Robinson though.

Nilan was a great fighter, but he wasn't a heavyweight per se. He could beat larger guys though.

I have a great tape of only Boston-Montreal fights from 1969 to 1996. Incredible. All the fights between those two teams for those years. Amazing footage. Hours and hours. lol

Roberge wasn't that great and Lupien was a terrible fighter.

If you're talking Habs history, I agree with the Rocket Richard nomination this guy was TOUGH! And he was a legendary talent. Sure I'm too young to have seen him play, but men were extra tough in these days and he put them away like they were nothing...or so the legend goes.

Moester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 07:07 PM
larue*

Chris Nilan by a mile!

larue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 08:06 PM
wholeshow*

where is dave morrisette?