HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Miscellaneous NHL talk Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2013, 11:19 PM
achdumeingute

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Dallas got the shaft I think personally. Dallas is probably not making any splashes as far as playoffs go so if you're hell bent on losing Ryder then sell him off for a future asset. Not a a guy in his mid thirties. If you're going to make a run then Ryder is at worst just as good and much younger so don't move him.

I just don't see the benefit here. A guy like Cole isn't hard to find via free agency if Ryder doesn't re-sign. Best case scenario they're down a third rounder for a version of Ryder that will regress for two seasons. Worst case Cole retires or does horribly and they basically gifted Ryder and a third.
How does the DAL GM still have a job, does he win a trade ever? This is a terrible deal for dallas.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:41 AM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
It's because Joe Nieuwendyk is a terrible GM.
Still hate his guts for making that Neal trade.

Old
02-27-2013, 09:19 AM
Yukon Cornelius
LoosenUpSandyBaby!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
I do have to add to my statement that I was going through the thread on the main board about worst homer announcers. Someone posted Edwards' call of game 7 when the Flyers came back to eliminate the Bruins. He wasn't committing verbal suicide or getting on the team; he called it straightforward, and was actually complimentary of the Flyers for their tenacity.

I am a fan of the game, and I want announcers to be able to show admiration for a great play, no matter which team does it. Edwards' shenanigans are ridiculous and unprofessional, to me. The low point was him laughing maniacally when Lucic slammed Jones from behind. It takes away from the game on the ice. Again, for me.
I hear what you're saying but the broadcasting landscape of the NHL has changed so much in the last years or so. Whether you like it or not, some ******* producer convinced the Hockey world that having a heel, a wrestling caliber heel, splitting the broadcasting duties was good for the game.

There are a plethora of former unremarkable players out there bringing their little man complex to your TV set each night. Look no further than the hockey capital of the world, your hometown, Montréal. The English speaking coverage of the Habs is awful and a shell of its former glory. Jack Todd reduced the print media to some American feeling lowest common denominator BS, Mitch Melnick, Randy Tieman and the rest of the scrubs over at team whatever are so busy atop their soapboxes that they've forgotten where Montréal sports radio began (the barbershops in Verdun, the East End brassseries, every cramped, smelly chalet adjoined to an outdoor rink) Don't get me started on Mike Johnson or PJ Stock, Montréal's supposed Anglophone connection to the rest of the televison viewing audiences around the Country.

HNIC is now Ron Maclean's baby now, modeled after his and Roy Mcgregor's image and perhaps a United Colours of Bennetton ad. TSN regularly employs jettisoned and disgraced members to their profession.

All I'm saying is that to draw a line in the sand at Jack Edwards which most folks do, is ludicrous when A, he's highly entertaining and B, the whole broadcasting end of the NHL has gone to ****.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:53 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKurri'soupkitchen View Post
I hear what you're saying but the broadcasting landscape of the NHL has changed so much in the last years or so. Whether you like it or not, some ******* producer convinced the Hockey world that having a heel, a wrestling caliber heel, splitting the broadcasting duties was good for the game.

There are a plethora of former unremarkable players out there bringing their little man complex to your TV set each night. Look no further than the hockey capital of the world, your hometown, Montréal. The English speaking coverage of the Habs is awful and a shell of its former glory. Jack Todd reduced the print media to some American feeling lowest common denominator BS, Mitch Melnick, Randy Tieman and the rest of the scrubs over at team whatever are so busy atop their soapboxes that they've forgotten where Montréal sports radio began (the barbershops in Verdun, the East End brassseries, every cramped, smelly chalet adjoined to an outdoor rink) Don't get me started on Mike Johnson or PJ Stock, Montréal's supposed Anglophone connection to the rest of the televison viewing audiences around the Country.

HNIC is now Ron Maclean's baby now, modeled after his and Roy Mcgregor's image and perhaps a United Colours of Bennetton ad. TSN regularly employs jettisoned and disgraced members to their profession.

All I'm saying is that to draw a line in the sand at Jack Edwards which most folks do, is ludicrous when A, he's highly entertaining and B, the whole broadcasting end of the NHL has gone to ****.
You're spot-on about the Montreal sports media. This is why I rarely listen to The Team (Montreal TSN radio affiliate) and only flip through the Gazette sports pages. I do enjoy listening to a TSN-commented game, particularly with Ray Ferraro (among the best ex-player colour guys). When the Canadiens are playing, I prefer listening to French-language coverage.

Sure, Edwards is the poster child for the over-the-top gang. It's equally grating to listen to home broadcasts for the Senators, Penguins and Sabres, to name a few.

Old
02-27-2013, 05:27 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Kesler broke his foot, which means he'll be out for a few weeks.

The Canucks also waived Aaron Volpatti, even though there was seemingly no reason to do so.

Vancouver working on a trade, perhaps?

02-27-2013, 09:57 PM

Just caught JVR's stats sheet by accident, if you listened to the Leafs' fans you'd think he was scoring at >PPG and flying. He's got 15 points in 20 games...

Old
02-27-2013, 10:08 PM
Krishna

And he was a -4 today

Old
02-27-2013, 10:35 PM
BernieParent

As much as I despise the Leafs, the boarding major on Brown was very weak, and the fake-out faceoff leading to the GWG should have been whistled down by one of the other officials. The Leaf centre still had his stick across his knees.

Old
02-28-2013, 05:10 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Flames offer COL's Ryan O'Reilly an offer sheet worth 2 years/$5m AAV

In related news, the Flames visit Colorado tonight.

Old
02-28-2013, 05:21 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
Just caught JVR's stats sheet by accident, if you listened to the Leafs' fans you'd think he was scoring at >PPG and flying. He's got 15 points in 20 games...
He's definitely cooled down lately. He has zero points in his last three games and his SOG have steadily decreased in that span as well. It will be interesting to see how this develops.

02-28-2013, 05:34 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

STUPID move by Calgary. If the avs neglect to match, they forfeit their 1st and their 3rd. Calgary is awful, and that could potentially be a lottery pick in one of the deepest drafts in recent memory. I'd take those picks and run if I were Colorado. Trading ryan O'Reilly for a potential top 5 pick? Are you kidding me? One of mackinnon, jones, Drouin, Barkov, Nichushkin Lindholm etc??? If I'm the avs I say yes please.

Last edited by orange is better: 02-28-2013 at 05:39 PM.
Old
02-28-2013, 06:08 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

I'm not surprised that when the Flyers offer sheet someone, it's a horrifically evil act that will result in 29 gms joining together to **** over Philly for years to come.

Yet when Calgary offer sheets someone its a solid move.

Old
02-28-2013, 06:10 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Good. John Forslund is being used (Canes broadcast) for the NHL Network game.

Old
02-28-2013, 06:10 PM
Zod
Disappointment Train

Given the potential from the picks, I'd think about it, largely because ROR has made it clear he doesn't care about playing for the Avs.

What would seal it for me is the 6.5 qualifying offer you'd have to give him after this contract.

I'd wait 'til the last day, then fail to match.

Old
02-28-2013, 06:33 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
2-0 Rangers over Tampa and shots are 18-1 after 11 minutes. Yikes.

Old
02-28-2013, 06:49 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I'm not surprised that when the Flyers offer sheet someone, it's a horrifically evil act that will result in 29 gms joining together to **** over Philly for years to come.

The Canadian teams offer-sheet politely. It's on a very pleasant, scented paper, and they say a lot of nice things about the other team.

Old
02-28-2013, 06:51 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
2-0 Rangers over Tampa and shots are 18-1 after 11 minutes. Yikes.
I hope that keeps up for 60 minutes and we see the 108-6 shot stat.

Old
02-28-2013, 06:52 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5872
Quote:

That's because the Flyers tried to bully a small market team into stealing their franchise player. This is a bit different, even though the Avalanche are terrible, they're not that type of market.

I don't hate what Calgary did, because they're more likely to move up and steal a playoff spot as opposed to sinking to the bottom. They're adding someone who is going to be a first line player, and he just turned 22 years old. Last year, the Kings drafted a 20 year old in the first round. Not totally crazy if you'd rather spend your 1st round pick on a likely future 60-70 point player. And it's not like the Flames have been drafting that well as it is.

Old
02-28-2013, 07:00 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
That's because the Flyers tried to bully a small market team into stealing their franchise player. This is a bit different, even though the Avalanche are terrible, they're not that type of market.

I don't hate what Calgary did, because they're more likely to move up and steal a playoff spot as opposed to sinking to the bottom. They're adding someone who is going to be a first line player, and he just turned 22 years old. Last year, the Kings drafted a 20 year old in the first round. Not totally crazy if you'd rather spend your 1st round pick on a likely future 60-70 point player. And it's not like the Flames have been drafting that well as it is.
I recall the Flyers were considered evil for the Kesler offersheet too, so it's not just the small-market bullying.

Old
02-28-2013, 07:08 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5872
Quote:
I recall the Flyers were considered evil for the Kesler offersheet too, so it's not just the small-market bullying.
Yeah, well. The Flyers are evil in general.

The Oilers were evil too.

You know what was funny about the Kesler thing was that the Canucks poached David Backes the next summer. Blues matched on the same day, but then they poached Steve Bernier after the Canucks traded 2 draft picks for him. So, the Blues gave him an offer sheet that was clearly an overpayment and resulted in less compensation than they traded to get him.

Old
02-28-2013, 07:34 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1487
The NHL and NHLPA agreed to the possibilities of offer sheets. No one should complain. It is legal and part of the game.

Old
02-28-2013, 07:44 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Can't say I'm upset that the pens are getting outworked and outscored.

Old
02-28-2013, 07:48 PM
The Couturier Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
The NHL and NHLPA agreed to the possibilities of offer sheets. No one should complain. It is legal and part of the game.
This. I never understood why people were complaining about the Flyers offersheeting Weber. I bet they would think it's perfectly fine if their team was doing it.

Old
02-28-2013, 08:27 PM
SAINDON

Aves match.

Old
02-28-2013, 08:45 PM
BernieParent

Calgary: the Av-nots.

From a PR standpoint, the Flames FO come out looking bold to their fanbase. And they get to keep what arguably should be a top-10 1st rounder.

Closed Thread