HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

DiPietro Discussion Thread Part III

Old
02-28-2013, 02:53 PM
Renbarg

vCash: 500
Let's not forget that Ricky suffered multiple concussions. Depression and suicidal thoughts have often been linked with former athletes who suffered multiple concussions. Not only did Ricky suffer multiple concussions he also had those really devastating injuries one after the other after the other. Wouldn't shock me at all if he did go through some real dark times.

Renbarg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 03:01 PM
duster19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
Let's not forget that Ricky suffered multiple concussions. Depression and suicidal thoughts have often been linked with former athletes who suffered multiple concussions. Not only did Ricky suffer multiple concussions he also had those really devastating injuries one after the other after the other. Wouldn't shock me at all if he did go through some real dark times.
You would think that red light continously flashing would shed some light into his dark world.

I feel sorry for the guy. He had potential. No one can blame him for signing the contract. He had to realise that by signing a huge contract there would be expectations. He never met those expectations. His comments suggest he is sick (I hope not, get him help if true) or a complete lack of reality. He is lucky to have been in the NHL this long. Maybe he should just be quiet, work on his health and accept fact. Nobody wants to hear a millionaire whine...

Life could be worse Ricky.

duster19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 03:06 PM
nyiguy21
Poster of the Decade

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyiguy21 View Post
I always felt bad that the fans booed him. He always could've retired due to injury and taken most of the money from this contract and lived a nice life, but he wanted to play hockey. The guy bleeds orange and blue and loved this franchise. The way the fans turned on him is crazy. It's not his fault he got injured. All along we should've been booing Wang for forcing his GM's to offer that contract and we should've been booing management too.
Still stand by this for everything prior to today. Before today, I don't feel he deserved the boos. If this turns out to be a joke, then he better expect to get booed harder if he ever makes a return to NVMC ice.

nyiguy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 03:09 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
Wow I was thinking the same thing...remember Junior Seau from the Chargers. He was a pro baller and put his body through a meat grinder and once the lights dimmed out on his NFL career he killed himself.

The team is handling this internally I am sure but wow if he is indeed depressed then he needs to seek help immediately.

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 03:14 PM
Ghost Of Palffy
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang2750 View Post
Im sorry you feel that way. To me the "no knowledge fans who couldn't tell you two things about the isles" are the ones who actually like DP, cheer for him, buy his jerseys. Any "real" fan knows he is one of the worst things to happen to this organization and contract or not they realize he is literally one of the worst goalies in the NHL.

I m a HUGE fan and probably know more about the Isles and hockey than 90% of the people here and you can bet your ass I boo'd him loudly on opening night. The real fans did. The fake fans cheered.
Why you heff to be mad?

Ghost Of Palffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 03:19 PM
OpAck

This definitely has more to do with an overzealous news reporter who was probably licking his chops at the thought of a previously multiple concussed player telling him that had it not been for his wife, he'd probably kill himself. Even if it was sarcastic, which I'm sure it was. I think alot of us have made dumb, sarcastic comments like that before as well...the old, "I'd probably be dead in some gutter somewhere had it not been for the support from my wife and family." Rick has just got to be more careful with his words. I mean his career is very troubled and he has had multiple concussions in his history...which if taken the wrong way, would be a headline if some snake in the media can twist his sarcasm.

Isles organization handled it quite well...just a quick immediate statement acknowledging it and saying they're handling it internally. All they can say at this point...considering the media just took it and ran with it.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 03:27 PM
Bones45

Just to be a total ass here (why stop now).. seems as though finally we were done with this mess, and now he is saying things to try and get back into the spotlight...

Has a bit of a Steinbrenner streak to him, eh? George used to say or make dumb comments whenever his precious Yanks took a seldom backseat to the Mets.

"Bring da old spot light back to Georgie"

Not saying this was done intentionally at all, but made me think about it. How long was DP up in the NHL, and could have said this.. but now he waited till he was demoted and in AHL to mention it?

I dont know. ENough of this guy already..

and typical worthless Snow response. That guys brain is on novacaine...

Bones45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 03:29 PM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 300
Seems more like when Rick said it that it was tongue in cheek like when someone says "they could kill" someone else. Doesn't necessarily mean they were actually plotting a murder, it's just a figure of speech.

More awful NY journalism.

IceAce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 03:37 PM
88th Precinct
Pitchfork Acquired

Not sure how much of this is true or untrue, so I'll let the story unravel as it does.....though I will say I'm quite glad that Snow chose to throw water on the flames rather than the sort of gasoline similar to what Milbury used in ripping apart Salo....if there's truth in DiPietro's depression, it is best to tread lightly without coddling rather than go "scorched earth."

88th Precinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 03:40 PM
OlTimeHockey

I think it's the spotlight grab answer. The reporter went overboard, yeah, but though he's matured since marrying to the state of a petulant 14yo rather than a petulant 7yo, he's still the same petulant problem child.

So....Witt's comments ring a little true? Sure do. I wish he'd just kept with the no comments thing, played well or poor but gave his best like a professional trying to get back.

The Steingrabber comparison is spot on.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 04:10 PM
lost35*

I am a DiPietro fan and I hope he does good on Bridgeport and he wins his place back on Long Island

but I really hope he does not hope to get "sympathy" as his way of coming back

Yes it is a tragedy what has happened to his career

But the whole "Waiving" thing and being sent down to Bridgeport goes along with the situation

If DiPietro would have said the fans "Ripped his heart out and flushed it down the toilet" with the way they were booing him on Opening night and chanting DP Sucks in his last game on the Island, I would agree with him 100%

But saying the Isles ripped his heart out by waiving him and sending him down to Bridgeport is not going to cut it, show the Islanders were wrong by doing good in Bridgeport and you will be sent back up, or another team will pick up the 8 years left and pay the remaining salary, if not that is how this league is run

lost35* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 04:40 PM
Ghost Of Palffy
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones45 View Post
Just to be a total ass here (why stop now).. seems as though finally we were done with this mess, and now he is saying things to try and get back into the spotlight...

Has a bit of a Steinbrenner streak to him, eh? George used to say or make dumb comments whenever his precious Yanks took a seldom backseat to the Mets.

"Bring da old spot light back to Georgie"

Not saying this was done intentionally at all, but made me think about it. How long was DP up in the NHL, and could have said this.. but now he waited till he was demoted and in AHL to mention it?

I dont know. ENough of this guy already..

and typical worthless Snow response. That guys brain is on novacaine...
The thing is this isn't the first time DP has made a comment like this. He made a similar joke about driving off the Throgs Neck bridge, I believe it was in the off-season, and it didn't get much of a response or reaction. This news reporter basically manipulated DP's quote and took it completely out of context. Journalism!

And as for Snow what would you want him to say? I'm glad the organization came out quickly with their response.

Ghost Of Palffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 04:47 PM
Hershey Hockey
#AskNeal

I feel like one of the only ones not siding with Rick here. In my opinion the comments he made today were COMPLETELY unprofessional and unnecessary. "Ripped my heart out and flushed it down the toilet" sounds like something I would have said after getting cut from the 8th grade basketball team.

He acts like he's surprised or something. He didn't win a single game. Didn't show anything impressive. Does it suck to be demoted to the minors? Yeah, obviously. But you're a professional athlete getting paid to perform. When it's not working out, that's what happens.

Rick should have either kept his mouth shut or acted like a professional. "Obviously I'm very disappointed by the decision but I'm going to do my best to work hard and improve my game in Bridgeport and hopefully come back at a later time and help the team." Why couldn't he just have said something like this? Gets the same point across.

And bringing anything about suicide into this, sarcastic or not, is completely unprofessional. Keep that between yourself and your therapist (if it really is serious, which it sounds like it is not). Either he's clueless as to the kind of things the media will blow up into a huge story or he knew this was going to happen and did so for attention.

Just ridiculous. Fingers crossed for the buyout this summer so both he and the team can leave this mess in the past and move on.

Hershey Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 04:58 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by HersheyHockey View Post
I feel like one of the only ones not siding with Rick here. In my opinion the comments he made today were COMPLETELY unprofessional and unnecessary. "Ripped my heart out and flushed it down the toilet" sounds like something I would have said after getting cut from the 8th grade basketball team.

He acts like he's surprised or something. He didn't win a single game. Didn't show anything impressive. Does it suck to be demoted to the minors? Yeah, obviously. But you're a professional athlete getting paid to perform. When it's not working out, that's what happens.

Rick should have either kept his mouth shut or acted like a professional. "Obviously I'm very disappointed by the decision but I'm going to do my best to work hard and improve my game in Bridgeport and hopefully come back at a later time and help the team." Why couldn't he just have said something like this? Gets the same point across.

And bringing anything about suicide into this, sarcastic or not, is completely unprofessional. Keep that between yourself and your therapist (if it really is serious, which it sounds like it is not). Either he's clueless as to the kind of things the media will blow up into a huge story or he knew this was going to happen and did so for attention.

Just ridiculous. Fingers crossed for the buyout this summer so both he and the team can leave this mess in the past and move on.
What's a narcissist egomaniacal petulant brat multimillionaire to do....?

Hope I didn't come off as siding with Rick here or in the past decade, sir.

Old
02-28-2013, 05:32 PM
beLIever

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...tion-1.4730270

Interview here. Doesn't look like he was joking, but could have been out of context.

beLIever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 05:37 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofit View Post

Interview here. Doesn't look like he was joking, but could have been out of context.
Just coming to post the same thing.

Forget the money for a moment. The constant injuries and watching your dream slip away must be a devastating feeling.

02-28-2013, 06:00 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeland Security View Post

Forget the money for a moment. The constant injuries and watching your dream slip away must be a devastating feeling.
I get that, and feel bad for him on a human level. But on that same human level I see a rich egomaniac with zero appreciation for what he has been given and accomplished. This is somewhat similar to Bill Gates crying about not getting his own continent. I have news for Rick, he did better than most of the people and kids in this world, so I am sorry he only got to play in the NHL for a little while, and I am sorry he only got into one all star game, and sorry he only makes four million a year he can spend on his kids guaranteeing their independence from the slave jobs we all have in the real world.

Honestly, did Rick ever pay attention to the kids he met in the hospitals and charities?

And HE had a hard luck story? Next to them he is the luckiest guy on Earth.

He seriously lacks perspective, and I find his comments insulting to people with real problems. I can believe he is depressed and could use a therapist to help him get perspective. In the cosmic hierarchy of life he is a winner and he is a blind idiot if he can't see that much.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 06:03 PM
Kaptain
I am Jax

vCash: 50
In no way, shape, or form was DP joking.

Kaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 06:28 PM
nyisles

Send a message via ICQ to nyisles Send a message via AIM to nyisles
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofit View Post

I agree - watching the video and seeing the words from the horse's mouth, it does not look like he's joking or being sarcastic. His claim of "being facetious" is simply damage control. Maybe he's just trying to carry on The Rick Show a little longer, but I'm a little worried about the guy.

02-28-2013, 06:56 PM
Hershey Hockey
#AskNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
What's a narcissist egomaniacal petulant brat multimillionaire to do....?

Hope I didn't come off as siding with Rick here or in the past decade, sir.
I feel for him as a human being. It sucks he's had all these problems and isn't what he used to be anymore. Any sane Islander fan seven or eight years ago would be horrified to look into the future and see what's happened with him. But it's over. He needs to learn to accept that. And it's absolutely ridiculous he's creating this sideshow out of himself by saying things like what he said today.

If he's really serious about the suicidal thoughts issue, I hope he's seeking help. That's both outside of and more important than hockey. He has plenty of good years left once his playing days are over. But as I said before, I think addressing this in the media today the way he did and then backtracking as "being facetious" couldn't be more of a wrong way to handle it.

Hershey Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 06:56 PM
CodeE

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLio21093 View Post
Things haven't been good for Rick. You can tell he's depressed with everything he's been through. People who say they don't feel bad for him because he earns 4.5 mill a year are just ignorant. Money doesn't make happiness. He's been scrutinized all the time, for what? Accepting a contract that's impossible to refuse? Sickening how fans have treated him. I really hope he moves on and seeks help if he still has these feelings. Cheer up Rick.
I can't feel that much sympathy for him because there's always the option of retirement. There are plenty of promising young athletes among all major sports who suffer injuries and are forced out of the sport. The only difference is a lot of them work minimum-wage jobs and struggle to get by and raise their families.

Rick has more than enough money to call it quits, never work another day in his life, and still provide a decent life for his family. No more fan criticism, no more internet articles, just move out to the suburbs somewhere and never worry about another reporter again.

But he doesn't retire. He continues to tell himself his body can still handle an NHL workload, and he still keeps cashing that $4.5 million/year paycheck while playing very little games. So commentators, fans, and everyone else will continue to make fun of him. And cheer when he gets sent to the AHL. And boo him when he steps onto the ice opening night.

There is a very easy way out of this mess, and it's not driving your truck into a tree or slitting your wrists... it's simply hanging up the skates for good, not taking the rest of the money you're owed on your contract, and becoming a full-time father and husband. During this recession plenty of families struggle to get by and would love a small fraction of what DiPietro makes.

CodeE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 07:02 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by HersheyHockey View Post
I feel for him as a human being. It sucks he's had all these problems and isn't what he used to be anymore. Any sane Islander fan seven or eight years ago would be horrified to look into the future and see what's happened with him. But it's over. He needs to learn to accept that. And it's absolutely ridiculous he's creating this sideshow out of himself by saying things like what he said today.

If he's really serious about the suicidal thoughts issue, I hope he's seeking help. That's both outside of and more important than hockey. He has plenty of good years left once his playing days are over. But as I said before, I think addressing this in the media today the way he did and then backtracking as "being facetious" couldn't be more of a wrong way to handle it.
I feel for him, too, but given what likely is ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!!!!! saying it, it'l likely the Boy Who Cried Chicago Wolf displaying his massive ego.

I get my way.....I get my way or I sulk.....I get my way or you'll all be sorry.

Remember his sulking.....when Oz came on board? When he had that brief call-up from Bridge? He's likely being just a tad bit dramatic for the woe-is-me factor, and some fans are posting poison control numbers, quoting WebMD, subscribing to Psychology Today, calling suicide hotlines to get game info....

Snow's monitoring it. DP is gonna play in a lower league and do his best I hope, but he refuted the suicide thing, it's reporter drama earlier and now it's back to must-see-TVinternet.

Old
02-28-2013, 07:03 PM
Hipietro

Geez, that's some serious stuff.

Hipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 07:25 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipietro View Post
Geez, that's some serious stuff.
Isles lose two leads, down 3-2. I feel like shooting myself

Quote:
Poster Isles2001/OTH, bereft with grief as his biggest target of vitriol, Richard Floppietro, has maybe said he once considered suicide in jest or as dramatic punch, has stated he intends on buying a firearm and ending his posting and possibly life due to the stress. Steve Depot is driving his Bronco through the Southern California area and officials are pursuing him carefully.
Hmm.....see how that happened?

DP's fine.

I might not be when Depot reads this.

Old
02-28-2013, 07:45 PM
Paulinho
No Man's Sky

Dipietro's comments came off as ridiculously selfish imo.

Paulinho is offline   Reply With Quote