HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Flames offer sheet Ryan O'Reilly [2 years/5m AAV] [1st + 3rd Compensation]

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2013, 07:03 PM
Pure

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
False.
Given what type of negotiator O'Reilly's camp have proven to be, I would be very surprised if they don't get something close to 6.5 per.

Old
02-28-2013, 07:03 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
False.
How? Yeh maybe he will willingly sign for 4 million. But thats like saying RNH could perhaps sign 10 year deal for 1 million per year. Agent has shown he wants $$, not going to give up money unless hes playing bad

Old
02-28-2013, 07:04 PM
ANewHope
Nuggets|Avs|Broncos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny21 View Post
You're right, not all of you. I actually hate it when other people generalize. I have actually seen few Avs fans post and maintain they're view after this, but they're in the minority.
It sucks because the Avs could very well match. People wonder what's wrong with today's sports, it's these dumb ass GM's. If you're not willing to give the payday to somebody, somebody else is. ROR is about to make money he doesn't deserve simply because one stupid GM is willing to take that risk.

Really hope Colorado takes the picks. Good chance it ends up screwing us, but I'll take the risk rather than getting O'Reilly on a short contract with a 5 mill cap hit

Old
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiCounter View Post
But that message might screw a team that is made up of mostly future RFA's.
True. It's a risk either way.
Can someone confirm though that Penner is the only one that wasn't matched?

Old
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce Awesome View Post
Take the money and RUN Colorado...

This could be a good pick in a deep draft.

Im surprised by this move from Calgary.

Wrong simile.

Taking the money (i.e. the sure thing) would be matching rather than bet on picks and how they would turn out.

Old
tmurfin
So Good! Mony Mony!

vCash: 50
Can someone tell me how the Avs internal cap is? How deep are they're pockets? Can they afford to give him basically 3 mill for 30 games this year and 6.5 next year? Than either another 6.5 or lose him for nothing?..

Old
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
btw... apparently Calgary radio is on crack and vancouver did NOT offer a contract to O'Reilly.

"Bad Scoop" was the response from Assistant GM Lawrence Gillman.
Wish we had. Even if we let him walk in 2 years because he's not worth 6.5m, 1st and 3rd is a cheap rentals for 2 playoffs.

Old
02-28-2013, 07:05 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
How? Yeh maybe he will willingly sign for 4 million. But thats like saying RNH could perhaps sign 10 year deal for 1 million per year. Agent has shown he wants $$, not going to give up money unless hes playing bad
Players trade in lower AAV for longer term all the time.

Zero guarantee he's at $6.5 til UFA

Old
02-28-2013, 07:06 PM
vanwest

A pretty nice day to be ROR.

Old
02-28-2013, 07:06 PM
Philadelphia Ducks
#BringBackBob

Cgy seems to be getting much less hate than Philly did with Weber, I wonder why.

Old
02-28-2013, 07:07 PM
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post

He'll ask for 6M long term if he's already guaranteed 6.5M for 1 year.

Old
CorsiCounter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurfin View Post
Can someone tell me how the Avs internal cap is? How deep are they're pockets? Can they afford to give him basically 3 mill for 30 games this year and 6.5 next year? Than either another 6.5 or lose him for nothing?..
They're owned by Stan Kroenke who is married to one of the Walton's. Their pockets are deep but their willingness to throw away money might not be as great as Murray Edward's (Flames majority owner for those that don't know).

Old
TheHudlinator

Quote:
That's incorrect actually. The first round is supposed to be solid.
Several articles disagree like THN recent one. Again most drafts get this deep label until about a month before and then there is a drop off that no one has mentioned until then.

Most Flames fans are happy with this, it is possible we give up Barkov etc but at the same time it is equally likely we give up 10+ pick and then it is a very good trade for us. It is risky but worth it for us.

Old
02-28-2013, 07:08 PM
7thGuest

Quote:
My understanding is that ROR will get $6.5m/yr after the current contract as his QO. Here is how QO works:

"The current team must extend a "qualifying offer" to a restricted free agent to retain negotiating rights to that player. Players making over $1 million must be offered 100 percent of last season's salary. If the qualifying offer is not made, the player becomes an unrestricted free agent. "

So his QO will be $6.5m/yr, not a penny less.

Old
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
Yes, perhaps. Or maybe less. Or maybe even more. This whole qualifying offer business is more of a red herring/safety net than anything.

Old
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Quote:
calgary has to qualify him at a minimum of 6.5mil. He would be UFA eligible in 2 years after that or if CGY doesnt qualify him.
Yes, but a deal does not have to be constructed around that number.
It would not surprise me to hear that the Flames and ROR used that number as a tactic to ensure that Colorado does not match the offer. For all we know he was willing to take a long term deal around 5-5.5M per year, and maybe he is still open to that moving forward.

Either way if he becomes the player we all think he can be then it won't be an issue. After all Jordan Staal just set the market for this caliber of player when he signed his 10 year / 60 Million dollar contract.

Old
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sem1 View Post
I dont think its that bad. And the flames arent a team that "sucks". I get what your saying, but look at the leafs this year. Once again competing and playing pretty impressive hockey with a much improved team without doing the complete overhaul. Look at the canadians, same thing, senators. None of these teams played the edmonton game and sold off everything in order to "suck" and cheep their way into consistant top picks. Its entirely possible to become competitive again without the rebuild hfboards is so in love with.

Honestly i feel like the flames are in a better position then the leafs and canadians were when they were struggling. Aging core? sure. A better aging core then the leafs and canadians had during their struggles for the time being. Theres also alot of time before that happens and NOBODY can predict what happens in that time. Free agency, trades. Lots of options. Meanwhile Calgary continues to slowly build a younger group of up and comers still. Ottawa is in a great postion too with their young group of prospects.

6 years from now looking at what calgary has without making any changes.

forwards: O'Reily, glencross, cammy, beartschi, backlund, cervenka maybe throw hudler into that group and then guys with serious potential like gaudreau and jankowski. alot of people would scoff at that group, but theres alot of time to tinker with it and add more peices.

defence: bowmeester, giordano, brodie. Bowmeester is turning into the player that we all hoped he would be and im happy having him anchor our blueline. Giordano will be fine and brodie is turning into a legit top 4. then theres seiloff who could turn into a regehr type guy with slightly more mobility.

goaltenders: Ramo, broissant, gillies and if they havent given up on him.....irving. calgarys strength when it comes to prospects is goaltending and at least one of these guys will turn into a legit starting goaltender. A kiprusoff replacment? probably not, but who knows if the team will be relying on our goaltender anymore like we have been the last number of years.

im kinda rambling now and getting off topic, but my point is, its not over for the flames and they can easily become competitive again without the hfboards encouraged "suck and rebuild" method. theres a reason we are all posting on this board and not running an nhl team. the same reason most people on here feel the easy way is the only way.

and yes, thank you feaster for finally getting us that young top 6 center weve been dieing for all these years.
Montreal and Toronto were and are significantly younger. Both team's major issue was lack of identity and that the veterans in their core stunk. They also had/have better prospect pools than Calgary.

Old
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thGuest View Post
My understanding is that ROR will get $6.5m/yr after the current contract as his QO. Here is how QO works:

"The current team must extend a "qualifying offer" to a restricted free agent to retain negotiating rights to that player. Players making over $1 million must be offered 100 percent of last season's salary. If the qualifying offer is not made, the player becomes an unrestricted free agent. "

So his QO will be $6.5m/yr, not a penny less.
I'm fully aware of how QO's work. Sounds like you might want to read up on them some more though.

Old
02-28-2013, 07:09 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
Good job Calgary.

Was waiting for this to happen.
how badly did you bash the oilers for the offer sheet on Penner?

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
Old
Pure

Quote:

Then why didn't O'Reilly just sign for what Duchene and Johnson both signed for? Considering his camp already has a history of holding out of games unless they get what they want, why wouldn't they just sign the QO until the Flames pony up the money.

Old
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
There is no guarantee of that, he is just as likely to sign long term around 5 million as around 6.

Old
topchowda

Quote:

True but agent will start from 6.5 and adjust for length. Maybe he gets 6 X 5.5, thats Richards and Kesler territory (Or Horcoff )

Old
Sonny21
Registerd User

All most people kept hearing was how ROR was underrated and much more then 2nd line centre he was and that there's every reason to believe he will become more then 2nd line centre.

Yet many Avs fans glady take 8+ 1st pick over him. If he is/was as good as most (i know NOT ALL) Avs fans made him out to be, why would they be satisfied with prob 10+ pick?

Again, this doesn't really pertain to Avs fans not wanting to sign him for $5 million, that's a different story.

I think if ROR is as good as he was made out to be, Avs swallow the price tag and match.

Old
02-28-2013, 07:10 PM
MJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philadelphia Ducks View Post
Cgy seems to be getting much less hate than Philly did with Weber, I wonder why.
I think it might have something to do with the fact that O'Reilly and the Avs seemed to be at an impasse. Whereas the Predators were desperate to sign Shea for whatever he wanted and the Flyers snuck in and signed him to a deal that Nashville was gonna struggle to match.

Old
02-28-2013, 07:10 PM
CorsiCounter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
A pretty nice day to be ROR.
No kidding. The Flames idiocy has ensured he'll be making 5M+ per for a long time, I'm sure.

Closed Thread