HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Community: Part Four - Community is Back

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2013, 02:56 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

vCash: 500
To all those complaining about the show not being about a community college anymore...sounds like they're going back to that theme on Thursday.

Old
02-26-2013, 03:01 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Awesome. Love Malcolm McDowell .

Old
02-27-2013, 10:31 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

I want this show to be watchable, because I plan to watch every episode of this show, but this season has been just awful. I hope they can turn it around.

Old
02-28-2013, 06:35 PM
Henrik Maneuver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagorim Jarg View Post
I want this show to be watchable, because I plan to watch every episode of this show, but this season has been just awful. I hope they can turn it around.
Seriously. I know they're playing to their crowd but they're going wayyy off the deep end of nerdiness for me. I can't stand this season. The only watchable part of last week's episode for me was the Annie/Jeff thing. I hate to be one of those people but this show used to be so good, what happened?!?!

Old
02-28-2013, 06:51 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Awesome. Love Malcolm McDowell .
Same here, maybe he will kill someone with beethoven on.

Old
02-28-2013, 07:31 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Good ep

Old
02-28-2013, 08:20 PM
Elever
Hth

Best episode of the season so far. Harmon would've packed more funny into each seen but it was well done minus a mediocre ending.

Old
02-28-2013, 10:39 PM
Voodoo Child
Lǎobǎn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
Good ep
Of course it was.

No wait, it was pretty bad. I laughed when Annie pulled her cardigan shut, I laughed at the chair collapsing gag, and I laughed at what most of the Dean said. Putting Alison Brie in a beer wench costume can only elevate this episode so much, when it was pretty weak to begin with.

Old
03-01-2013, 06:51 AM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Child View Post
Of course it was.

No wait, it was pretty bad. I laughed when Annie pulled her cardigan shut, I laughed at the chair collapsing gag, and I laughed at what most of the Dean said. Putting Alison Brie in a beer wench costume can only elevate this episode so much, when it was pretty weak to begin with.
What made it weak? They went back to college, and the plot was pretty solid. I enjoyed it.

Some people will just complain about anything, I guess

Old
03-01-2013, 09:24 AM
Voodoo Child
Lǎobǎn

Quote:
What made it weak? They went back to college, and the plot was pretty solid. I enjoyed it.

Some people will just complain about anything, I guess
1) I laughed about five times. In the first two seasons I laugh more than that before the opening credits of most episodes. I know it's a character driven show, but it's also a comedy, comedies tend to sink or swim on how often they make you laugh.

2) Oh, the Germans are Nazis and everyone hates the main characters...what groundbreaking developments that have never been done before (either on this show or on others). That's not plot, those are story elements, and it's not even a solid story for BBT, let alone Community.

3) Also where the hell was Nick Kroll? He was the only one who made the original gag, which barely worked, passable.

4) In addition to not being funny, I feel (this is an overarching issue with the season as a whole so far) that there is no 'direction' that the show or the characters are heading. The fact that Jeff may graduate early was teased early in the first episode, but what else? Where's the urgency, where is the character development? Abed and Troy are still bumchums, okay, whatever (even if Abed brings zero value to the friendship), Annie likes Jeff (to be expected), Troy and Britta are dating now (WHAT!?), Pierce and Shirley have no storylines (also Chevy Chase has officially checked out). It's not a show about a group of misfits at a Community College anymore; it's about seven people who are funny, trying to make weak material funnier than it is.

5) 101-113, 115-122, 123-204, 206-217, 219, 221-310, 312-317, 319-322, 401-403...every single episode I just listed was better.

6) The worst tag they've ever done.

7) So everything is awesome because they returned to Greendale? Mixology Certification, Critical Film Studies, Remedial Chaos Theory and Curriculum Unavailable.

8) The way they brought Chang back (despite no one asking for it) was sloppy. The montage at the end of them making a new study room? Slapped on and lazy, like back when South Park used to lampshade their earlier episodes with those abominable 'You know what? I've learned something today...' speeches at the end.

9) About the only remaining plusses? Donald Glover and Joel McHale know how to elevate poor writing, Jim Rash is still hilarious and I still get to look at Alison Brie.

I get it bro, it's rough; I love this show, I have the first three seasons on DVD and I have watched them through at least 5 times. For 2.5 seasons, this was the freshest comedy on TV, and now it's just a shadow of what it once was, showing only occasional glimpses of its former glory. There's still time for a turnaround and a few great episodes to come out, but the way this season has unfolded (401: B-, 402: A-, 403: C, 404: D), I don't have too much faith in that happening, and will only be watching to see that everything gets wrapped up, and not because I expect to be blown away. All shows, and especially all comedies have an expiration date, and sadly, I think Community's was somewhere during that first hiatus.

You're free to challenge any of these points, but I'm sure you won't. If you'll excuse me, I need to watch Cooperative Calligraphy, Conspiracy Theories and Mixology Certification now.

Last edited by Voodoo Child: 03-01-2013 at 09:37 AM.
Old
03-01-2013, 09:30 AM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Conspiracy Theory - is that the one with the Timedesk and stuff? It's probably my favourite episode.

Community is dead, it's been dead since season 3. I'm done writing and analyzing the show, I'll watch it if I have the time to kill on a Saturday but it's not a good show and it's not the new showrunners' fault.

Old
03-01-2013, 09:38 AM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Child View Post
1) I laughed about five times. In the first two seasons I laugh more than that before the opening credits of most episodes. I know it's a character driven show, but it's also a comedy, comedies tend to sink or swim on how often they make you laugh.

2) Oh, the Germans are Nazis and everyone hates the main characters...what groundbreaking developments that have never been done before (either on this show or on others). That's not plot, those are story elements, and it's not even a solid story for BBT, let alone Community.

3) Also where the hell was Nick Kroll? He was the only one who made the original gag, which barely worked, passable.

4) In addition to not being funny, I feel (this is an overarching issue with the season as a whole so far) that there is no 'direction' that the show or the characters are heading. The fact that Jeff may graduate early was teased early in the first episode, but what else? Where's the urgency, where is the character development? Abed and Troy are still bumchums, okay, whatever (even if Abed brings zero value to the friendship), Annie likes Jeff (to be expected), Troy and Britta are dating now (WHAT!?), Pierce and Shirley have no storylines (also Chevy Chase has officially checked out). It's not a show about a group of misfits at a Community College anymore; it's about seven people who are funny, trying to make weak material funnier than it is.

5) 101-113, 115-122, 123-204, 206-217, 219, 221-310, 312-317, 319-322, 401-403...every single episode I just listed was better.

6) The worst tag they've ever done.

7) So everything is awesome because they returned to Greendale? Mixology Certification, Critical Film Studies, Remedial Chaos Theory and Curriculum Unavailable.

8) The way they brought Chang back (despite no one asking for it) was sloppy. The montage at the end of them making a new study room? Slapped on and lazy, like back when South Park used to lampshade their earlier episodes with those abominable 'You know what? I've learned something today...' speeches at the end.

9) About the only remaining plusses? Donald Glover and Joel McHale know how to elevate poor writing, Jim Rash is still hilarious and I still get to look at Alison Brie.

I get it bro, it's rough; I love this show, I have the first three seasons on DVD and I have watched them through at least 5 times. For 2.5 seasons, this was the freshest comedy on TV, and now it's just a shadow of what it once was, showing only occasional glimpses of its former glory. There's still time for a turnaround and a few great episodes to come out, but the way this season has unfolded (401: B-, 402: A-, 403: C, 404: D), I don't have too much faith in that happening, and will only be watching to see that everything gets wrapped up, and not because I expect to be blown away. All shows, and especially all comedies have an expiration date, and sadly, I think Community's was somewhere during that first hiatus.

You're free to challenge any of these points, but I'm sure you won't. If you'll excuse me, I need to watch Cooperative Calligraphy, Conspiracy Theories and Mixology Certification now.
What are you talking about?

Old
03-01-2013, 09:41 AM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

People are just going to complain about anything, I guess!

Community fans used to be a happy bunch but have eroded into a bunch of bitter misanthropes who criticize everything the show does. It's sad.

Should just cheer up and enjoy the show for what it is, good entertainment

Last edited by Francesa: 03-01-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old
03-01-2013, 09:45 AM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Listen, I'll call a bad episode a bad episode

The first episode of this season was weird and awkward

It has gotten better since then

Old
03-01-2013, 09:56 AM
Voodoo Child
Lǎobǎn

Quote:
Listen, I'll call a bad episode a bad episode

The first episode of this season was weird and awkward

It has gotten better since then

You like it, that's fine, but I didn't and I illustrated why...but what exactly about it made you think it was good? What jokes hit? What character beats did you enjoy? What felt fresh?

If you can state your reason for believing that this episode is better than three 'weaker' episodes of my choosing from the first three seasons, I'll stream it again on Monday and post a re-evaluation.

Season 1: Interpretive Dance
Season 2: Early 21st Century Romanticism
Season 3: Urban Matrimony and the Sandwich Arts

Not doing you any favors by laying out stinkers (Art of Discourse, Messianic Myths, Contemporary Impressionists...all of which I skip on my DVD sets and enjoyed less than this episode, because they were awful TV, not just awful Community, and please don't ask me to go into why I dislike these episodes, I only have so much time on my hands), but three episodes that, in a fan consensus, would likely not make a 'Top-50 Community episodes' list. You up to it?

Last edited by TMI: 03-01-2013 at 10:16 AM. Reason: mod abuse
Old
03-01-2013, 12:13 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
I thought it could have used more Mcdowell and less germans

Old
03-01-2013, 03:08 PM
Elever
Hth

I saw these sitcoms this week:

How I Met Your Mother, Raising Hope, Go On, Cougar Town, New Girl, The Middle, Modern Family, and Community. No BBT or 2.5 Men or The Office this week.

I'd still say that this was the most enjoyable episode this week. Community was behind some of those other shows in the past 3 weeks but this time it was pretty solid and on par with earlier episodes so I can't complain as far as current sitcoms go.

Old
03-01-2013, 03:10 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post
I saw these sitcoms this week:

How I Met Your Mother, Raising Hope, Go On, Cougar Town, New Girl, The Middle, Modern Family, and Community. No BBT or 2.5 Men or The Office this week.

I'd still say that this was the most enjoyable episode this week. Community was behind some of those other shows in the past 3 weeks but this time it was pretty solid and on par with earlier episodes so I can't complain as far as current sitcoms go.
Community automatically ranks better than HIMYM, BBT, and 2.5 due to the lack of the laugh track.

Never been a fan of Go On. I hear good things about Cougar Town and New Girl. Modern Family is a mediocre show which wins a lot of awards.

Old
03-01-2013, 06:08 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

I enjoyed that episode. Good stuff. For me, each episode this season has been better than the last. Hated the first episode. Thought the second was below average. The next was enjoyable, but very average. And I would put this one in the above average category. Thought it was comparable in quality to a season 1 or 2 ep. I am glad that I didn't give up on the show. But yeah, I respect those that were Community fans, that no longer see in the current season, what made them enjoy the show in the first place. I get it.

Old
03-01-2013, 06:41 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
I enjoyed that episode. Good stuff. For me, each episode this season has been better than the last. Hated the first episode. Thought the second was below average. The next was enjoyable, but very average. And I would put this one in the above average category. Thought it was comparable in quality to a season 1 or 2 ep. I am glad that I didn't give up on the show. But yeah, I respect those that were Community fans, that no longer see in the current season, what made them enjoy the show in the first place. I get it.
People just are bitter and want to complain. I am a lot more lenient than others so I will give the show a pass, it'd have to be really awful and uninteresting to get failing marks from me. They're doing a fine job this season.

I see the criticism, though, but it doesn't mean those are terrible eps like many here have implied. Abed has gotten a lot more wacky...the gang focuses less on the community college and more on extra-curricular activities. But these aren't make-or-break moments of the show.

Old
03-01-2013, 07:21 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 117
The show is entertaining enough, but it is definitely passed its peak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
I thought it could have used more Mcdowell and less germans
A million times this. I was really hoping they would utilize Malcolm McDowell more.

Old
03-01-2013, 08:43 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
People are just going to complain about anything, I guess!

Community fans used to be a happy bunch but have eroded into a bunch of bitter misanthropes who criticize everything the show does. It's sad.

Should just cheer up and enjoy the show for what it is, good entertainment
Don't you understand that some people just disagree with you? Why does it always have to turn into "I guess people will just complain about anything! That's sad!"

In my opinion, the way fans have turned bitter is directly proportional to the downward slope that the show's been going in.

Again, I'm pointing to this type of post to illustrate how people on these boards who are positive seem to be able to get away with condescending arrogance, dismissiveness, and insult but don't get called out for it nearly enough.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 03-01-2013 at 08:55 PM.
Old
03-01-2013, 08:43 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

http://www.***********/r/community/co...still_highest/

Despite 1.1 rating, Community is still the highest rated show on NBC. Feels good to be the king on top of the pile of garbage that is NBC.

Old
03-01-2013, 08:47 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
Can't you comprehend that some people just disagree with you? Why does it always have to turn into "I guess people will just complain about anything! That's sad!"

In my opinion, the way fans have turned bitter is directly proportional to the downward slope that the show's been going in.

Again, I'm pointing to this type of post to illustrate how people who are positive seem to be able to get away with condescending arrogance, dismissivenes, and insult (calling people sad because they don't like it) and don't get called out for it nearly enough.
http://www.***********/r/community/co...rist_you_guys/

Quote:
In the words of Todd: "What is wrong with you people?!"

You guys are reaching for criticism. You guys don't like this show anymore. You want to hate it. You're just searching for things to gripe about.

I've been reading these threads, oping to find images and jokes and fun things abut last night's episode, but all I find are nitpicky ****. Seriously, the Hogan's Heroes thread talking about how "Community didn't used to do this" is pathetic.

A) They've done it plenty of times with Paintball 2, Contemporary American Poultry, My Dinner with Abed, etc.

B) WE'RE FOUR ****ING EPISODES IN. You can't say that Community didn't used to do this "as much" when in this season they've done it ONCE. That's like saying "Oh my god, are there going to be red balls in EVERY EPISODE?!" after the season premier.
Look, I may just like liking things, but you guys are the most jaded mother****ers this side of ******. None of you are going into this show with a positive outlook, you're all turning on your TV/computers getting ready for the worst.
This guy puts it perfectly. People just like to complain and whine. It's sad.

stop being such haters -SMILE a little u will feel better

Old
03-01-2013, 08:56 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
http://www.***********/r/community/co...rist_you_guys/

This guy puts it perfectly. People just like to complain and whine. It's sad.

stop being such haters -SMILE a little u will feel better
Don't you think that your attitude right now is on par to a hipster snob talking down someone's intelligence and rolling their eyes at people who they don't feel measure up to their "superior" taste? It's just the other way around.

Closed Thread