HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Alexei Emelin Thread

Old
02-28-2013, 05:57 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

vCash: 500
Wow this thread is a revelation. I had no idea there was hab fans who didn't like Emelin. I hate to say this, but I actually hope his detractors just hate Russians.

I'd take Emelin over prime Komisarek any day. Prime Komisarek had prime Markov. Emelin is just as strong while being way more mobile and offensively gifted. The only thing wrong is his poor decisions with the puck and giveaways but none ever seem costly. If we can sign him long term at roughly Gorges money or cheaper I'd be ecstatic.

dackelljuneaubulis02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 06:06 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
He's playing better than last year for sure, but he's not top-6 on a legit contender.
What do you mean by top 6 when you are referring to a defenseman. Are you saying he should be #7 --- in other words, not playing?

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 06:16 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by makbowles View Post
Wow this thread is a revelation. I had no idea there was hab fans who didn't like Emelin. I hate to say this, but I actually hope his detractors just hate Russians.

I'd take Emelin over prime Komisarek any day. Prime Komisarek had prime Markov. Emelin is just as strong while being way more mobile and offensively gifted. The only thing wrong is his poor decisions with the puck and giveaways but none ever seem costly. If we can sign him long term at roughly Gorges money or cheaper I'd be ecstatic.
No, I think that the people who are negative toward Emelin are the same ones who will scream about Subban playing with Boullion on the third pairing.

Another Eller vs DD drama in the making.

This happens when people pull more for the name on the back of the sweater instead of the CH on the front.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 06:35 PM
groovejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
No, I think that the people who are negative toward Emelin are the same ones who will scream about Subban playing with Boullion on the third pairing.

Another Eller vs DD drama in the making.

This happens when people pull more for the name on the back of the sweater instead of the CH on the front.
For a poster who uses "Strawman" in your responses as much as the word "the", you're awfully quick to present one yourself en masse.

Maybe posters here like both players and rightly believe Subban is a superior player.

You have been known to make some very reasonable arguments here at times. This is not one of them.

groovejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 07:41 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
For a poster who uses "Strawman" in your responses as much as the word "the", you're awfully quick to present one yourself en masse.

Maybe posters here like both players and rightly believe Subban is a superior player.

You have been known to make some very reasonable arguments here at times. This is not one of them.
OK. Then explain why Emelin is now getting thrown under the bus by some of the more vocal posters here.

If you need a little refresher, go to last night's GDT........

I like both Subban and Emelin on this team. One is not superior to the other. They are two unique players who bring something different to the Habs team.

There have been grumblings on this board regarding Subban being a "3rd pairing" DMan.

I look forward to your explanation.

Old
02-28-2013, 07:45 PM
Nedved

Quote:
OK. Then explain why Emelin is now getting thrown under the bus by some of the more vocal posters here.

I like both Subban and Emelin on this team. One is not superior to the other. They are two unique players who bring something different to the Habs team.

There have been grumblings on this board regarding Subban being a "3rd pairing" DMan.

I know. I didn't see all these problems last night; he isn't perfect, far from it, but is more suitable than people give him credit for. I'm not worried when he's on the ice, and we've had a lot, lot worse in montreal. like a lot. this 6 right now, is the best we've had in yeeeeeaaarrrrsss. people still complain.

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 08:04 PM
groovejuice

Quote:

I can only explain my own position, which is what I will endeavor to do.
My problem with your post was your assertion that the 2 opinions were not mutually exclusive.

I, like you, am fans of Subban and Emelin. They both bring skill and physicality to their position. I would like to see both with more time on the PP.

I see Subban as the player with more athleticism, creativity and potential. My personal opinion is that the coaches have gone too far in limiting his inherent way of approaching the game. I understand the need too get him to play more according to team strategy and less free-lancing. But his leash is too short IMO and this is causing him to hesitate before making a play rather than responding instinctively.

Fortunately the team is playing so well, this hamstringing is not causing broad issues. But I miss the R. Bourque type rushes and hope we will see them again before too long.

Old
02-28-2013, 08:09 PM
YEMELIN74

Send a message via MSN to YEMELIN74
people under estimate emelin offensive potential, the last couple of games he had a couple of really good scoring chances

YEMELIN74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 08:10 PM
Le CH

I'll admit to being a little surprised by the negative comments re: Emelin... I thought people would be generally pleased with his progression.

Le CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 08:11 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
I can only explain my own position, which is what I will endeavor to do.
My problem with your post was your assertion that the 2 opinions were not mutually exclusive.

I, like you, am fans of Subban and Emelin. They both bring skill and physicality to their position. I would like to see both with more time on the PP.

I see Subban as the player with more athleticism, creativity and potential. My personal opinion is that the coaches have gone too far in limiting his inherent way of approaching the game. I understand the need too get him to play more according to team strategy and less free-lancing. But his leash is too short IMO and this is causing him to hesitate before making a play rather than responding instinctively.

Fortunately the team is playing so well, this hamstringing is not causing broad issues. But I miss the R. Bourque type rushes and hope we will see them again before too long.
No offense but you did not answer my request.

I replied to a poster who was hoping that the recent turning on Emelin was not because of his ancestry.

I offered up my "opinion" that some people are unhappy that Subban is still on the bottom 6 D. Again, only my "opinion".

My opinion may be off base. However, I have seen the same thing happen to Desharnais on this board. DD plays his game and the Eller fans rip on DD. .

So I simply asked for your opinion regarding why Emelin is losing favor with some here. With all due respect, if you are unwilling to offer your opinion, why blast mine?

Old
02-28-2013, 08:14 PM
Forsead

Overall he's playing well, but he's still lack the consistency that make Diaz so good right now. Once he will be able to hit the net and be acurate with it during a game, he will be a real danger, because right now he shoot it wide very often.

Where are the big highlights reel hits though ?

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 08:19 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
Overall he's playing well, but he's still lack the consistency that make Diaz so good right now. Once he will be able to hit the net and be acurate with it during a game, he will be a real danger, because right now he shoot it wide very often.

Emelin with 66 hits. The next highest number is Prust with 49. The next highest DMan is Boullion with 32.

This team needs hitting.....and they dont have to be highlight reel hits.......just hits.

Old
02-28-2013, 08:22 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Emelin with 66 hits. The next highest number is Prust with 49. The next highest DMan is Boullion with 32.

This team needs hitting.....and they dont have to be highlight reel hits.......just hits.
I'm not saying that he doesn't hit or he isn't physical, I'm talking about the highlight reel hits for entertainment purpose only, don't be mad at me

If the guy can master his shot at the NHL level he will even more look like Konstantinov (even if I don't think Emelin can be that good, but I can dream ) !

We need another big gritty crease clearer though !

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 08:24 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
I'm not saying that he doesn't hit or he isn't physical, I'm talking about the highlight reel hits for entertainment purpose only, don't be mad at me

If the guy can master his shot at the NHL level he will even more look like Konstantinov (even if I don't think Emelin can be that good, but I can dream ) !

We need another big gritty crease clearer though !
Not mad.

He is due for a highlight reel hit now that you mention it. Arent we playing the Bruins this weekend?

100% agree with your last sentence.

Old
02-28-2013, 08:24 PM
Et le But

I hope I'm wrong about Emelin, because I love his style of play and if anything want this team to be Russian-friendly instead of one that no Russian would ever want to play for, but I see a slow, mistake-prone bottom pairing defender who plays physical but doesn't really clear the crease. I'm really struggling to see where some of this praise is coming from, until this defense is bigger and more physical he's an asset but he looks outmatched out there to me.

I would love nothing more than a poor man's Konstantinov on this team...but he seems to follow a few good games with a few absolute howlers. And this is a problem he had in Russia too.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 08:35 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I hope I'm wrong about Emelin, because I love his style of play and if anything want this team to be Russian-friendly instead of one that no Russian would ever want to play for, but I see a slow, mistake-prone bottom pairing defender who plays physical but doesn't really clear the crease. I'm really struggling to see where some of this praise is coming from, until this defense is bigger and more physical he's an asset but he looks outmatched out there to me.
At the risk of creating a strawman (), I will simply ask you what more do you want from Emelin?

He leads the team in hitting, is a +2 (while his partner is struggling a bit) and gives 100% effort while on the ice.

He does have 19 turnovers but Diaz has 13, Markov has 22 and Boullion has 15.

He is averaging 1 blocked shot per game, the exact same average as Subban. He is no Diaz or Gorges when it comes to blocked shots but he is also no Kaberle either.

His takeaways are virtually the same as Diaz and Subban but more than Gorges.

What am I missing?

Old
02-28-2013, 08:54 PM
groovejuice

Quote:
No offense but you did not answer my request.

I replied to a poster who was hoping that the recent turning on Emelin was not because of his ancestry.

I offered up my "opinion" that some people are unhappy that Subban is still on the bottom 6 D. Again, only my "opinion".

My opinion may be off base. However, I have seen the same thing happen to Desharnais on this board. DD plays his game and the Eller fans rip on DD. .

So I simply asked for your opinion regarding why Emelin is losing favor with some here. With all due respect, if you are unwilling to offer your opinion, why blast mine?
I'm not blasting your opinion, only your fallacious assertion that those hating on Emelin are also those who don't like Subban on the third D pairing.

This board is incredibly polarized, but the extremists, from what I can see, are among the most vocal, not among the most numerous. I think the great majority of posters here are happy Emelin is here and playing well.

There is not a player on this team I'm ambivalent about, with possibly the exception of Kaberle, and none that I hate.

I happen to like Emelin's game alot. Solid defender, great hitter. Best choice on the PK? Second shift, maybe.

I've already made it clear how I feel about Subban. Muzzled, leashed and thorazined.

Old
02-28-2013, 08:58 PM
Ghetto Sangria
The implication

I was one of Emelin's biggest doubters before this season... but he's stepped up and has been a good NHL Defenseman. Don't get how people are hating... especially when you compare him to last season's Emelin.

Ghetto Sangria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 09:21 PM
Maelpj*

Quote:

Links are not working just quote me to see the link. Some nice highlight hits

Maelpj* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 09:59 PM
Et le But

Quote:
What am I missing?
Mainly, that he's getting more responsibility than Subban at times. Emelin himself is playing his role fine (though I agree with others he hits more on the other side) but Subban is clearly the better of the two defensemen.

Old
02-28-2013, 10:24 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
I'm not blasting your opinion, only your fallacious assertion that those hating on Emelin are also those who don't like Subban on the third D pairing.

This board is incredibly polarized, but the extremists, from what I can see, are among the most vocal, not among the most numerous. I think the great majority of posters here are happy Emelin is here and playing well.

There is not a player on this team I'm ambivalent about, with possibly the exception of Kaberle, and none that I hate.

I happen to like Emelin's game alot. Solid defender, great hitter. Best choice on the PK? Second shift, maybe.

I've already made it clear how I feel about Subban. Muzzled, leashed and thorazined.
See above ^^^^^

Old
03-03-2013, 10:59 PM
Et le But

For all his flaws....this guy is one of the toughest in this organization. When he's nasty, he won't back down...Emelin didn't even flinch when Chara went after him, and played through pain.

He makes some brutal mistakes, but it's hard to stay mad at him.

Old
03-04-2013, 12:30 AM
coolasprICE

Emelin Appreciation Thread

Coming off a beauty of game against the Broowhines his play has really picked up over the past bit

One of the cleanest and most damaging players in the NHL.

Get attacked by Freak Chara and has metal plates in his head.., one bad punch to the head and he's done... what does he do?

He gets up and lands a hard right on Chara.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:41 AM
CanadienShark

Props to Emelin. The check against Seguin was a crosscheck, but it really didn't look that bad at all (ie. damaging or a hard check). Perhaps Julien should take a look at his own players embellishment habits. Stood up to Chara who blatantly charged him then starts to go after him while Emelin is still disoriented after a stupid hit by Chara. Can't believe Claude Julien's response after the game, take a look at your own team pal...

CanadienShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:48 AM
MauditGreek*
Shhh, Be Careful!

Loving Emelin's play and his toughness!

Last edited by MauditGreek*: 03-04-2013 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Freedom of speech, just watch what you say
MauditGreek* is offline   Reply With Quote