HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Sens Top 20 Prospects

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2006, 11:50 AM
The Lehner
#LehnerTime

vCash: 500
Sens Top 20 Prospects

Hey guys,

For anyone who wants to post their top 20 Sens prospect list...here's mine based on potential, not NHL readiness.

1. D Brian Lee
2. F Alexei Kaigorodov
3. F Josh Hennessy
4. F Nick Foligno
5. F Igor Mirnov
6. D Kirill Lyamin
7. G Jeff Glass
8. F Ilya Zubov
9. D Michal Barinka
10. D Vitaly Anikeyenko
11. F Arttu Luttinen
12. F Kaspars Daugavins
13. F Shawn Weller
14. G Kelly Guard
15. F Alexander Nikulin
16. D Tomas Kudelka
17. G Brian Elliott
18. F Cody Bass
19. D Eric Gryba
20. F Peter Regin

Obviously I have excluded Patrick Eaves and Christoph Schubert who meet the hockey's future definition of a prospect - but since they are clearly regular members of the team this year I don't consider them prospects anymore.

Old
07-19-2006, 12:10 PM
The Fuhr

My Top 20 based on potential

1,Brian Lee
2,Alexei Kaigorodov
3,Igor Mirnov
4,Josh Hennessy
5,Brian Elliott
6,Kyril Lyamin
7,Nick Folingo
8,Michal Barinka
9,Ilya Zubov
10,Vitaly Anakeyenko
11,Alexander Nikulin
12,Jeff Glass
13,Arttu Luttinen
14,Shaun Weller
15,Cody Bass
16,Mattias Karlsson
17,Kelly Guard
18,Kaspars Daugavins
19,Dmitri Magalinsky
20,Grant Potulny

Old
07-19-2006, 01:06 PM
sensens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhr86 View Post
16,Mattias Karlsson
I could be mistaken, but it's not even clear that Karlsson played pro hockey at all last year, let alone play at a level worthy of that position.

Old
07-19-2006, 01:38 PM
The Fuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensens View Post
I could be mistaken, but it's not even clear that Karlsson played pro hockey at all last year, let alone play at a level worthy of that position.
Karlsson played with Almtuna IS of the Sweedish Elite league where he registerd 3 goals 7points and 40PIM in 32 games. I also heard he was at the develomental camp for the Sens a few weeks back and will be attending Bingo this year.

Old
07-19-2006, 01:47 PM
sensens

I'll take a stab...

1. Brian Lee
2. Alexei Kaigorodov
3. Nick Foligno
4. Josh Hennessy
5. Igor Mirnov
6. Kirill Lyamin
7. Brian Elliott
8. Michal Barinka
9. Jeff Glass
10. Arttu Luttinen
11. Ilya Zubov
12. Alexander Nikulin
13. Vitali Anikeyenko
14. Grant Potulny
15. Cody Bass
16. Eric Gryba
17. Shawn Weller
18. Kaspars Daugavins
19. Pierre-Luc Lessard
20. Kelly Guard

As always, outside of the first round the more recently drafted players kind of fill into the bottom, though I think Gryba and Lessard in particular could prove to be pretty strong picks.

Old
07-19-2006, 01:57 PM
sensens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhr86 View Post
Karlsson played with Almtuna IS of the Sweedish Elite league where he registerd 3 goals 7points and 40PIM in 32 games. I also heard he was at the develomental camp for the Sens a few weeks back and will be attending Bingo this year.
Well, that's good news - I certainly have no interest in players falling off of the map. Though to my knowledge Almtuna IS would be more of a development team, not a top-tier SEL team (that's more what I meant by pro hockey) - which suggests that Karlsson never regained his spot on Brynas after having played 39 games there two seasons ago (the lockout obviously didn't help - ironically, Phillips may have taken his spot). If I recall correctly, his numbers when drafted suggested sort of a more aggressive style - lots of PIM, and a fairly noticeable bias in scoring towards goals. The scoring certainly didn't translate to his time with Brynas (0pts in 51GP over 3yrs), but maybe his style is better suited to the North American game.

We'll call him your sleeper.

Last edited by sensens: 07-19-2006 at 05:42 PM.
Old
07-19-2006, 02:01 PM
EJsens1
HFBoards Sponsor

Who is this Luttinen kid?? I've seen some references to him being a darkhorse to make the team like an Arvedson way back when. What style does he play?? Is it a dream that he comes over and makes the team this year or any year or is it a real possibility??

Old
07-19-2006, 02:17 PM
sensens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven Morehead View Post
Who is this Luttinen kid?? I've seen some references to him being a darkhorse to make the team like an Arvedson way back when. What style does he play?? Is it a dream that he comes over and makes the team this year or any year or is it a real possibility??
Well, I don't see a lot of Finnish Elite League games, but Luttinen was the team's 3rd round pick in 2002 after Kaigorodov, has played for HIFK Helsinki (top-tier) every year since being drafted, and put up career best offensive totals last year (18G/44Pts in 56GP - those numbers the year before would have put him 1pt out of the top 10 in scoring, and that was with NHL'ers in the fold). I've seen some suggestion from people posting from Europe that while he's not tall he's pretty solid on his skates (5'10, 205ish) and has something of a willingness to drive the net. Now whether or not he has some of that Finnish irritability to him I don't know, but he's put up over a PIM/GP the last two seasons.

He may be a darkhorse, but it's not like he's just coming over to try out - they signed him in June, and he'll be in camp to earn a spot... and at 23 with 4 years of pro-level experience under his belt and a noticeable improvement in his production along the way, I wouldn't count him out. A lot will depend on his skating, but if he plays any kind of 2-way game it's far from inconceivable that he could land a spot - and if there's any touch of Holmstrom in his game he could be a very welcome addition. If the killer H's are getting serious looks (Hamel, Hennessy, Heerema), I don't see why Luttinen wouldn't - in some ways he might even have a better shot than any of those three.

Last edited by sensens: 07-19-2006 at 07:53 PM.
Old
07-19-2006, 02:17 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven Morehead View Post
I've seen him at a development camp awhile back, he is a stocky kid, about 5'10", 200 lbs. As I uderstand it, he plays an agressive game in Finland and had a decent season. He seemed to skate well and got involved along the boards but didn't really stand out.

I doubt he makes the Sens this year and will likely play in Bingo. We already have quite a few 3rd and 4th liners unless a few of these guys move up a line or two. Muckler had a conversation with the Team 1200 a week or two ago and said that Hamel will get a good look to make the 4th line due to his excellent season in Bingo last year (56 goals).

Old
07-19-2006, 02:48 PM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensens View Post
If the killer H's are getting serious looks (Hamel, Hennessy, Heerema), I don't see why Luttinen wouldn't - in some ways he might even have a better shot than any of those three.
I agree. I think there there is a better chance than not that Luttinen is with the team to start the season.

Old
07-19-2006, 03:57 PM
Wondercarrot
Classless

Quote:
Muckler had a conversation with the Team 1200 a week or two ago and said that Hamel will get a good look to make the 4th line due to his excellent season in Bingo last year (56 goals).
Great! That's exactly where you want a 56 goal scorer - the 4th line.
Look he's not good enough to play on in our top 6 as a scorer, he's not even close to anything like an energy player, and he's not tough enough, mean enough, fast enough to be a 4th line checker.

Round hole meet square peg.
Give him a shot for the 4th line??? WHY? it serves absolutely purpose to have Hamel play for the Sens. If he occupies a roster spot in any respect it is not only a waste of salary, it is not only a waste of a roster spot where any other number of attributes that this team needs could be used it actively makes our team worse by addition.
just like Arnason at any price makes your team worse, Hamel makes our team worse (not likening their effort levels, Hamel works hard. just their actual impact)

Old
07-19-2006, 07:28 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post
Look he's not good enough to play on in our top 6 as a scorer, he's not even close to anything like an energy player, and he's not tough enough, mean enough, fast enough to be a 4th line checker.
I'm willing to see how things shake down... but just to play devil's advocate; How well would he have to play to be an upgrade on Varada?

Old
07-20-2006, 09:43 AM
edd1e

Luttinen was listed as 6'0 (183cm) while he was playing in HIFK, so i dont know where you're getting that 5'10 out of?

Old
07-20-2006, 12:55 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by edd1e View Post
Luttinen was listed as 6'0 (183cm) while he was playing in HIFK, so i dont know where you're getting that 5'10 out of?
http://hockeysfuture.com/prospect/arttu_luttinen

I saw him live at the development camp a few years ago and he didn't look 6' at all but who knows he may have grown since then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot
Great! That's exactly where you want a 56 goal scorer - the 4th line.

Round hole meet square peg.
Give him a shot for the 4th line??? WHY? it serves absolutely purpose to have Hamel play for the Sens. If he occupies a roster spot in any respect it is not only a waste of salary, it is not only a waste of a roster spot where any other number of attributes that this team needs could be used it actively makes our team worse by addition.
just like Arnason at any price makes your team worse, Hamel makes our team worse (not likening their effort levels, Hamel works hard. just their actual impact)
Tell us how you really feel. You should have sent this to Muckler, he said it, not me. I'm just the messenger with this arrow stuck in me.

Old
07-20-2006, 03:39 PM
sensens

Quote:
Originally Posted by edd1e View Post
Well, both hockeysfuture and the Forecaster list him at 5'10 - I know those sources aren't exactly hyper-accurate even at the best of times, but it's not like people were pulling numbers out of thin air. I'm glad to hear he's a bit taller - it only helps his chances, though it's not like 6'0 would be considered tall by NHL standards.

Last edited by sensens: 07-21-2006 at 12:24 AM.
Old
07-20-2006, 06:18 PM
The Big Rig

Arttu Luttinen

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
As I uderstand it, he plays an agressive game in Finland and had a decent season.
Here's proof:

http://www.you tube/watch?v=zyJru2k_0N4&search=HIFK

Second fight, #29 in white is Luttinen.

Martti Järventie, the guy he is fighting is listed as 5'11" 196lbs, you judge how big Luttinen is...

Last edited by The Big Rig: 07-21-2006 at 08:41 AM.
Old
07-20-2006, 07:51 PM
burgess1978

I'd probably drop Guard off that list too - he'll be 24 at the end of the year (which is the cutoff for HF prospects)

Old
07-21-2006, 08:20 AM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrow View Post
Here's proof:

http://www.************/watch?v=zyJru2k_0N4&search=HIFK

Second fight, #29 in white is Luttinen.

Martti Järventie, the guy he is fighting is listed as 5'11" 196lbs, you judge how big Luttinen is...
Couldn't open it up ... and Luttinen having a "FIGHT', I love this guy already and if he is 6' ... I sit corrected. Who won the fight or did they just scratch each other's eyes out?

Old
07-21-2006, 08:42 AM
The Big Rig

Quote:
Couldn't open it up ... and Luttinen having a "FIGHT', I love this guy already and if he is 6' ... I sit corrected. Who won the fight or did they just scratch each other's eyes out?
copy the link into your browser and remove the space...

Old
07-21-2006, 03:25 PM
Buckleys

Hamels not good enough

I for one, beleive that Hamel, Martins and Heerema are good players, but i dont think that there players that you want all year round. I would like to see Perreault picked up, or if they can get cap room, Carter. If you could get one of those two, bring Kaigorodov over, then Luttinen could be reserve, that would be a very solid team.

Old
07-21-2006, 05:09 PM
The Fuhr

Quote:
I think Luttinen wins the fight, he throws one solid punch thats worth watching a few times.

Old
07-24-2006, 07:48 AM
Sakaarnis

Based on potential Kaspars Daugavins from Sens prospect list is stable TOP10 candidate. Wait till you see him in action next season at Majors, youll be very surprised how much upside this kid has.

Old
07-27-2006, 10:28 PM
Buckleys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havlat9 View Post
Hey guys,

For anyone who wants to post their top 20 Sens prospect list...here's mine based on potential, not NHL readiness.

1. D Brian Lee
2. F Alexei Kaigorodov
3. F Josh Hennessy
4. F Nick Foligno
5. F Igor Mirnov
6. D Kirill Lyamin
7. G Jeff Glass
8. F Ilya Zubov
9. D Michal Barinka
10. D Vitaly Anikeyenko
11. F Arttu Luttinen
12. F Kaspars Daugavins
13. F Shawn Weller
14. G Kelly Guard
15. F Alexander Nikulin
16. D Tomas Kudelka
17. G Brian Elliott
18. F Cody Bass
19. D Eric Gryba
20. F Peter Regin

Obviously I have excluded Patrick Eaves and Christoph Schubert who meet the hockey's future definition of a prospect - but since they are clearly regular members of the team this year I don't consider them prospects anymore.

Mine would be very similar, just i would try to fit a few more in to, its hard

Closed Thread