HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Flames offer sheet Ryan O'Reilly [2 years/5m AAV] [1st + 3rd Compensation] Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2013, 07:52 PM
Petes2424

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
I don't know. It's a business. Montreal screwed Subban because they could. ROR just did what he was legally entitled to do under a CBA that was just negotiated. I know that there's probably some bad blood but you need to put that aside and do what's best for the team.
Exactly. Nobody saying what a horrible, selfish person Weber is these days.

Old
02-28-2013, 07:53 PM
Frank Drebin

vCash: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboholic View Post
But before this went down, most people were pumping his tires pretty good. Seems people are backing off that stance now.
Well it's hard to be good when you're being compared to "high first rounders"

2008 6-10 picks

6. Filatov
7. Colin Wilson
8. Boedker
9. Josh Bailey
10. Cody Hodgson

Old
02-28-2013, 07:54 PM
N o o d l e s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
I would give up a late 1st+3rd for ROR.

Early 1st+3rd though? Not a chance in hell.
You probably wouldn't get o'reilly then

Old
02-28-2013, 07:54 PM
Stryker Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckLuck View Post
I think Calgary will be able to afford getting rid of thh 1st rounder because they're going to flip Bouwmeester for a 1st rounder anyways.

I dunno I like this by feaster. Showing some balls..at least a GM is doing something out there.
Bouwmeester has been their best defenceman this season, not likely they are in any rush to move him.

Old
02-28-2013, 07:56 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

I hope he plays up to every penny

Old
SEALBound

Question, can the Avs still trade him?

Old
rt
Usually Incorrect

Can Calgary sign him to an extension on July 1st? That's only four months away. The QO of 6.5 only comes into play if they allow the contract to expire, right?

Maybe ROR's agent and Feaster have a long-term, more reasonable deal already agreed upon, that they'll sign off on as soon as their allowed. Which, I believe, would be in four months, right?

Old
Pure

vCash: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Don't act like you know his agent's game plan. You are just guessing, like all of us. You do not know how they roll.

$6.5 could be a starting point. Or couldn't. Or it could be higher.

You are giving his agent way too much credit here.
You're not giving his agent enough credit. Other RFAs: Duchene, Subban, Johnson, Del Zotto, Tavares (way better), Benn (better) are all either signed to short term low money deals or long term medium money deals (considering Tavares/Benn's production). O'Reilly by sitting out, is getting high money (especially next season) AND low term.

His agent's game plan is simple. Get as much money as possible in the long run. It doesn't even matter if you missing games, because if you stick with his plan, you'll get paid by someone. O'Reilly is not a veteran on the verge of retirement. He is young and can afford to sign short term deals to maximize his career earning potential.

Old
02-28-2013, 07:57 PM
mrdonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
Question, can the Avs still trade him?
No. Now that the deal has been signed he will either be an Av or a Flame for the next two seasons.

Old
02-28-2013, 07:57 PM
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckLuck View Post
I think Calgary will be able to afford getting rid of thh 1st rounder because they're going to flip Bouwmeester for a 1st rounder anyways.

I dunno I like this by feaster. Showing some balls..at least a GM is doing something out there.
Theres a 0 chance they'll be trading Bouweester for a pick if they get O'Reilly

Old
02-28-2013, 07:58 PM
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Can Calgary sign him to an extension on July 1st? That's only four months away. The QO of 6.5 only comes into play if they allow the contract to expire, right?

Maybe ROR's agent and Feaster have a long-term, more reasonable deal already agreed upon, that they'll sign off on as soon as their allowed. Which, I believe, would be in four months, right?
Given his agent's track record, I'd be surprised if O'Reilly doesn't ask for 6M+ long term.

Old
02-28-2013, 08:00 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:

My thoughts exactly. The 6.5M QO was used as a tactic to ensure that Colorado does not match in my opinion.

Old
02-28-2013, 08:01 PM
Pure

vCash: 665
How many players have signed long term deals that are significantly less than their QO?

Old
02-28-2013, 08:02 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
I'd match the offer and then negotiate a trade of Statsny with Calgary for more than the compensation they'd get if they don't match. Gives them more flexibility that way.

Old
02-28-2013, 08:03 PM
mrdonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
I'd match the offer and then negotiate a trade of Statsny with Calgary for more than the compensation they'd get if they don't match. Gives them more flexibility that way.
Calgary has no reason to do that. Try again.

Old
02-28-2013, 08:07 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure View Post
How many players have signed long term deals that are significantly less than their QO?
Good point. Still, maybe he wants a eight year contract on a team where he's "the man" more than he wants big bucks for one season. This situation seems like it is more ego driven than money driven. He wants to be the number one center, he wants to he the captain, he wants to be the star, and he wants to get paid like it. If it can be in a hockey mad small town like Calgary, where he has the chance to be elevated to godly status, so much the better, right?

Complete speculation on my part, of course.

Old
02-28-2013, 08:07 PM
Jakomyte

Really? The guy has one 55 point season and GMs are throwing $5 million at him? There's no guarantee that this wasn't a fluke or career year type thing, especially since he'll probably be under a lot more pressure when he comes back, whoever he plays for.

Also, trading a 1st and a 3rd from a likely non-playoff team for what, 1 season & 25 games seems a bit steep. You can argue the Flames will try to re-sign in the summer if the Avs don't match, but then you are starting at what, a $6 million + long term contract to a kid that still won't have more than one 55 point season?

This seems risky to me. If I were the Avs, I'd cut my ties at this point. I find it hard to believe that ROR back in the dressing room would make the team better, even if he is a good player.

Old
02-28-2013, 08:10 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
Well it's hard to be good when you're being compared to "high first rounders"

2008 6-10 picks

6. Filatov
7. Colin Wilson
8. Boedker
9. Josh Bailey
10. Cody Hodgson
You mean the nearly PPG center on the Sabres 1st line in his second year?

Old
02-28-2013, 08:10 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

Wow, GREAT move by Calgary. Good for Feaster to try. I think Colorado matches though.

Old
02-28-2013, 08:13 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Huh? Duchene only signed for 2 years.

If ROR plays well for Calgary (but not fantastic), I think it's entirely plausible that he would consider an 8 year $5.5-6M contract, rather than rolling the dice again and taking a $6.5M QO.

If he plays fantastic for them, then $6.5M is a great starting point for negotiations.

If he sucks, Calgary doesn't qualify him, and ROR likely gets even less on the open market. Heck, Calgary could still even re-sign him at that point for way less.

Point is, anything can happen, so there is no point in jumping to conclusions.
That is so easy to understand.

$40M of sure money (8 x $5M) is way better than $6.5M for a year and the chance of a serious injury (concussion?).

A bird in hand is better than two birds in the bush (except in Australia).

Old
02-28-2013, 08:14 PM
Habnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo Slice View Post
Wow, GREAT move by Calgary. Good for Feaster to try. I think Colorado matches though.
Does no one see the similarities with the Kessel deal? I don't mean the actual plumbing, but Flames banking that they will be in playoff hunt thus making the first round pick a mid rounder. The obvious risk is if you fall into a lottery position.

I don't understand the Flames willing to risk giving up a franchise player for RoR - notwithstanding that he's a good young player.

Old
02-28-2013, 08:17 PM
tfong

Quote:
Good point. Still, maybe he wants a eight year contract on a team where he's "the man" more than he wants big bucks for one season. This situation seems like it is more ego driven than money driven. He wants to be the number one center, he wants to he the captain, he wants to be the star, and he wants to get paid like it. If it can be in a hockey mad small town like Calgary, where he has the chance to be elevated to godly status, so much the better, right?

Complete speculation on my part, of course.
Calgary isn't exactly a small town...

Old
02-28-2013, 08:17 PM
Petes2424

The Flames keep playing the way they are the last 2 minutes, this might be the 29th pick

Old
02-28-2013, 08:18 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
Does no one see the similarities with the Kessel deal? I don't mean the actual plumbing, but Flames banking that they will be in playoff hunt thus making the first round pick a mid rounder. The obvious risk is if you fall into a lottery position.

I don't understand the Flames willing to risk giving up a franchise player for RoR - notwithstanding that he's a good young player.
The problem/good thing is Calgary is always in a playoff hunt

Old
02-28-2013, 08:19 PM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

vCash: 600
Quote:

That would make sense. I think this is a great job by Feaster, they finally get their #1 C, though imo he is currently a good #2 C, or they force Colorado to overpay for one of their own UFAs. 5M per for 2 years isn't that bad for someone of O'Reilly's skill level, Av fans if you think it's a sure thing that you will find somebody of O'Reilly's level in the top 10 it's not a sure thing. The Flames are currently picking 8th the 8th overall picks from 05-09 were: Glennie, Boedker, Hamill, Mueller & Setoguchi. The only player close to having an impact like O'Reilly's is Seto, but even he isn't playing well since he left Jumbo Joe.

I also don't think it's a sure thing that the Flames pick in the top 10, depending on how Calgary plays in the next week and say the 1-2 weeks it takes for O'Reilly to adjust I wouldn't be surprised to see them finish anywhere from 10th-6th in the West.

Closed Thread