HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Future of Goaltending in Ottawa?

Old
02-27-2013, 10:14 PM
Curtinho
YNWA

vCash: 500
I think what it comes down to is that you are probably going to need to choose between Lehner and Anderson. I know that sounds weird, but there aren't many goalies out there like Rask that will agree to sit back and let another goalie play #1 whenever they want to. Anderson will always be up to the challenge, he's a workhorse of a goalie and he's just entering his prime. On top of which he has shown the ability to be a top 5 - 10 goalie in the league.

When you consider what Anderson already brings to the table it becomes increasingly apparent that unless Lehner is willing to take a backseat for possibly years to come (Murray has alluded to Anderson being the cornerstone goalie of this franchise for at least the next 3 - 5 years) then he will have to go.

Ultimately when it comes down to value as much as Sens fans value Lehner and I'm sure other teams do too...when it comes to the NHL level Bishop has proven just as much if not more. On top of which he's actually an ideal goalie to play in a crease clearing system like the one the Sens are currently employing. Rather than blocking as many shots as possible you leave Bishop huge in the net and clean up the mess because he will let out some rebounds.

The way I see their value going into the summer...

Bishop: I see his value rising every game. It's not hard to look at the biggest goalie in NHL history, see that he's a smart player with intensity and the ability to handle the puck. He's positionally sound and as he grows and becomes more positionally sound it will become very difficult to beat him. This season will really up his value IMO especially because of Anderson's injury. (Urbom + 2nd, mid 1st round pick, major piece in a move for Niederreiter or maybe Tyutin/Brassard, MPS, etc.)

Lehner: What he has done at his age and the fire he has shown can't be matched by many goalies in the NHL. He has all the raw skill in the world and he's maturing every year. However, he has shown a bit of cockiness and impatience. I don't think it's a bad thing, but it could put us in a weird spot moving forward just because of Anderson's emergence. There's no doubt he's one of the best, if not the best, goalie prospects in all of hockey...but that's just it. He's a prospect who hasn't really proven much at the NHL level and regardless of what he's accomplished in the AHL that does have an affect on his value. (Similar in value to Bishop, if not a bit more)

Anderson: Honestly I don't know what else to write here except he has been amazing for this team. He has improved even in the short time that he's been here. He's only 31 years old and as has been seen many times in the NHL goalies often come into their prime around this age and age quite well. This means that we could have anywhere from 5 - 10 years of an elite goalie that has already proven his elite levels in the NHL (and the ability to amp up his game in the playoffs). It's not something you let go of...especially in this city. It's something you appreciate and lean on. I put my eggs in this basket (Anderson has the most value by far...a true top 6 forward and picks, something of that value)

I guess it comes down to Lehner vs. Anderson to me. I take the proven product who has done wonders for this team. I'd really like it if Lehner were willing to wait in line and maybe play second fiddle to Anderson for a few years and then maybe 1A - 1B down the line. I just feel like his "ego" might not bear that kind of thing. Bishop seems more likely to play the back-up to Anderson IMO -- although he'd likely want a starting job not too far down the line too. It's a really tough situation.

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 07:47 AM
guyzeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
I think what it comes down to is that you are probably going to need to choose between Lehner and Anderson. I know that sounds weird, but there aren't many goalies out there like Rask that will agree to sit back and let another goalie play #1 whenever they want to. Anderson will always be up to the challenge, he's a workhorse of a goalie and he's just entering his prime. On top of which he has shown the ability to be a top 5 - 10 goalie in the league.

When you consider what Anderson already brings to the table it becomes increasingly apparent that unless Lehner is willing to take a backseat for possibly years to come (Murray has alluded to Anderson being the cornerstone goalie of this franchise for at least the next 3 - 5 years) then he will have to go.

Ultimately when it comes down to value as much as Sens fans value Lehner and I'm sure other teams do too...when it comes to the NHL level Bishop has proven just as much if not more. On top of which he's actually an ideal goalie to play in a crease clearing system like the one the Sens are currently employing. Rather than blocking as many shots as possible you leave Bishop huge in the net and clean up the mess because he will let out some rebounds.

The way I see their value going into the summer...

Bishop: I see his value rising every game. It's not hard to look at the biggest goalie in NHL history, see that he's a smart player with intensity and the ability to handle the puck. He's positionally sound and as he grows and becomes more positionally sound it will become very difficult to beat him. This season will really up his value IMO especially because of Anderson's injury. (Urbom + 2nd, mid 1st round pick, major piece in a move for Niederreiter or maybe Tyutin/Brassard, MPS, etc.)

Lehner: What he has done at his age and the fire he has shown can't be matched by many goalies in the NHL. He has all the raw skill in the world and he's maturing every year. However, he has shown a bit of cockiness and impatience. I don't think it's a bad thing, but it could put us in a weird spot moving forward just because of Anderson's emergence. There's no doubt he's one of the best, if not the best, goalie prospects in all of hockey...but that's just it. He's a prospect who hasn't really proven much at the NHL level and regardless of what he's accomplished in the AHL that does have an affect on his value. (Similar in value to Bishop, if not a bit more)

Anderson: Honestly I don't know what else to write here except he has been amazing for this team. He has improved even in the short time that he's been here. He's only 31 years old and as has been seen many times in the NHL goalies often come into their prime around this age and age quite well. This means that we could have anywhere from 5 - 10 years of an elite goalie that has already proven his elite levels in the NHL (and the ability to amp up his game in the playoffs). It's not something you let go of...especially in this city. It's something you appreciate and lean on. I put my eggs in this basket (Anderson has the most value by far...a true top 6 forward and picks, something of that value)

I guess it comes down to Lehner vs. Anderson to me. I take the proven product who has done wonders for this team. I'd really like it if Lehner were willing to wait in line and maybe play second fiddle to Anderson for a few years and then maybe 1A - 1B down the line. I just feel like his "ego" might not bear that kind of thing. Bishop seems more likely to play the back-up to Anderson IMO -- although he'd likely want a starting job not too far down the line too. It's a really tough situation.
Are you telling me he will be taller than 6.7?

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 08:03 AM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyzeur View Post
I would think in this case it means get more experienced, unless I missed sarcasm, in which case, damn kids!

Pilgore88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 08:59 AM
Curtinho
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyzeur View Post
That's exactly what I'm saying.

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:17 AM
tony d
ATD 2015

Trade Bishop in the off-season and go with Anderson/Lehner as our goalie duo for next season.

02-28-2013, 12:00 PM
enviro61

Bishop goes. I'm thinking most people regard Lehner as the better prospect. Bishop is still a prospect given he is far from proven and has so few NHL games under his belt. Goalies for the most part are hard to predict but I don't see this team giving up on Lehner nor do I want them to.

The value of Anderson and Bishop is as high as it has ever been. Business sense says trade one of them while their value is high and or overinflated. It's more a of a gamble to move Anderson since he is the most proven NHL goalie of the lot but he may also offer the highest return package. It really is a difficult decision for Murray as I have no idea what I would do other than keep Lehner.

enviro61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 01:06 PM
OUahSilfverberg

Tonigh we see the lehner!

OUahSilfverberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 07:03 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

To the guys that think Lehner should 'bide his time'..etc. Look at ROR...and that offer sheet. That's why you cater to quality talent..if you don't, some other team will.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 09:53 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

After watching that game it's clear Lehner belongs at the NHL level.

Old
02-28-2013, 09:56 PM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
To the guys that think Lehner should 'bide his time'..etc. Look at ROR...and that offer sheet. That's why you cater to quality talent..if you don't, some other team will.
And then you match.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 09:56 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Lehner .957sv% 2.00GAA
Anderson .952sv% 1.49GAA
Bishop .935sv% 2.17GAA

This makes me happy. Three awesome goalies.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 09:57 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

Quote:
After watching that game it's clear Lehner belongs at the NHL level.
This, it's been clear for a while though.

If Andy is healthy by the trade deadline I would be comfortable with trading Bishop

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 09:58 PM
SilverSeven

Ill preface this by saying I think Lehner is ready. Also that I am an all 3 guy, not 1 or the other.

I think its amusing that people claim Bishop having a handful of good games isnt proof that he is ready, but Lehner having one good game is.

Old
02-28-2013, 10:00 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
Ill preface this by saying I think Lehner is ready. Also that I am an all 3 guy, not 1 or the other.

I think its amusing that people claim Bishop having a handful of good games isnt proof that he is ready, but Lehner having one good game is.
I think they are all NHL ready, but Lehner hasn't had one good game.

Did you watch any Bingo games this year?

Old
02-28-2013, 10:02 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

Quote:
And then you match.
But that's my point. Other teams will force Ottawa's hand.

Old
02-28-2013, 10:04 PM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
I think they are all NHL ready, but Lehner hasn't had one good game.

Did you watch any Bingo games this year?
Bishop was pretty good in the AHL too....?

Old
02-28-2013, 10:04 PM
SilverSeven

Quote:
But that's my point. Other teams will force Ottawa's hand.
I think Ottawa plans on signing him either way. Cap space is in NO way an issue for this team.

Old
02-28-2013, 10:06 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

Quote:
Bishop was pretty good in the AHL too....?
Yeah, they have both had plenty of good games, in both the NHL and the AHL.

Old
02-28-2013, 10:08 PM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Yeah, they have both had plenty of good games, in both the NHL and the AHL.
So my point still stands.....

Old
02-28-2013, 10:08 PM
costermonger
sans classe

I really have no idea what we should do going forward (aside from keeping Anderson) but this is the best damn problem ever.

costermonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:09 PM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by costermonger View Post
I really have no idea what we should do going forward (aside from keeping Anderson) but this is the best damn problem ever.
Indeed. I just hope we dont ship any of these guys to an eastern team.

Old
02-28-2013, 10:10 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

Quote:
So my point still stands.....
I might have totally misunderstood you, but it sounded to me like you said that people are calling Lehner NHL ready after one good game, although in reality he has had many.

I'm really confused now

Old
02-28-2013, 10:18 PM
SilverSeven

Quote:
I might have totally misunderstood you, but it sounded to me like you said that people are calling Lehner NHL ready after one good game, although in reality he has had many.

I'm really confused now
This season, Lehner has had 1 good NHL game. Bishop has had a handful. Both have been very good in the AHL.

People claim that Bishop hasnt shown himself to be anything more than a backup if that, and should be traded. They now claim that Lehner has proved that he ready.

Im just saying that this board has had a big hard on for Lehner for a long time, and a lot of people seem to dislike Bishop for the sole reason that he has kept Lehner out of the NHL. I mean, Bishop is no idiot, he has heard the talk that he is nothing more than a seat warmer, yet he is still playing like he is. The kid deserves far more credit in the "what do we do going forward game".

Old
02-28-2013, 10:20 PM
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons

This is all well and good, but we still need someone to score goals.

Ghost in the Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:22 PM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigun View Post
This is all well and good, but we still need someone to score goals.
Duh, we wait until ROR inevitably ends up here.