HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Plus-Minus Thread | Hurricanes 4, Penguins 1

Old
02-28-2013, 10:19 PM
Malkin4Top6Wingerz
Can you like, shutup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
But the question is will this team improve with Dan Bylsma at the helm. What about his tenure, since the day he fully implemented his system after the cup win, gives you any confidence? All I see is the Tomlin parallel. Guy wants to be everyone's friend. 'Get to our game' versus 'the standard is the standard'. Thinks X's and O's belong only in a kids game. But, with each day removed from a previous regime personified, for better or worse, by structure and discipline and accountability, it gets further and further from being the juggernaut it once was.
DB has had the Penguins perform better in nearly every single aspect of measurable performance than MT other than the powerplay, and by a significant margin. That is all that needs to be said.

Malkin4Top6Wingerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:19 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by laufer72 View Post
Big ****ing minus to Malkin, 0 TOI, 0 goals, 0 assists, 0 shots on the goal. Trade him now....
He's been the team's best player the last two games.

I'll just add two things:

1. Watching these last two games gives me renewed appreciation for how much he did last year with Crosby out of the lineup.

2. If these last two games don't convince Dan Bylsma of who should be the focal point of the PP, then . . . oh, never mind, he's clueless.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:20 PM
Penguinzilla

-------------------------------------------------- Burtuzzo. I haven't seen ONE thing that makes him NHL ready. He's terrible. If a guy 5' tall is coming after him, he jumps up like he's scared. He's a spaz. He's terrible. He's goes down easy. He's just bad.... real bad.

Penguinzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
plaidchuck

My point is basically you beat the teams you're supposed to beat or at least come close. Neither happened tonight.

plaidchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Hophog

[QUOTE=UnderratedBrooks44;60697615]+ Fleury. One or two snafus playing the puck but honestly, he was solid in net the entire game.

- - - Glass. Scratch him, I am friggin done with him. He takes penalties frequently, the PK he's a part of isn't good, and he has zero offensive talent. How does this not translate to a scratch? Oh, sorry I forgot who the coach was.

This is the part that I don't get. DB sits gys lefft and right for no apparent reason and Glass, who brings virtually nothing, flies under the radar and gets to play night in and night out. At least Boychuk brings speed, hard work and seems to have the potential to pot a few goals. I'm not seeing what Glass has added to this team. I know he's here for some toughness and we need that but I don't think he's the answer. If he's not going to add toughness and energy why not play a guy like Boychuk in his spot. It seems like a coach would use these younger guys to motivate the vets by letting them know he's going to embarrass them by letting a rookie or new guy take their spot if they don't step up. Instead DB just seems to punish the young guys by yanking them.

I'm not a DB hater but I think it might soon be time to find out if its the coaches system or Shero's team that that sucks. Unfortunately if it turns out to be Shero's problem it will be at DB's expense.

Hophog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ramp23

Quote:
Originally Posted by domaug View Post
why?
I am visiting here and I have no desire to be banned from the site, so I am not going to argue with you. I was simply trying to make the point that maybe the Canes are a little more talented than the poster gives them credit for.

ramp23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogelthorpe View Post
It's nice that we can agree on some things.
Oprik is getting by on reputation. Shero won't trade him. He doesn't have the balls.

Old
02-28-2013, 10:21 PM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Orpik's interview was pretty telling...

Quote:
Q: Is it safe to say you're concerned about how many battles are being lost?

A: That was a little concerning. I think the sign of a good team or a good player is if you make the same mistake once, you don't make the same mistake again, and obviously we made 4 similar mistakes so until we identify those mistakes we're making they're not going to be corrected. I think that's the first step to correcting it, it's to realize what we're doing wrong and admit what we're doing wrong.

Q: Is this personnel or just execution?

A: That's for someone else and not me.
Even though he sucked ass too, he's not wrong.

MrBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:21 PM
Pghkev
#47 FATTY

What I find interesting is that anybody expected this team to be better than last year. Asham or Glass? Staal or Sutter? Michaelek or Bortuzzo? They were a first round loser last year and their roster is weaker.

Pghkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:22 PM
nhindian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post
Metallurg is 2-2 in it's first round playoff series against Salavat. Game 5 is March 1. Game 6 is March 3. here's hoping that on March 4 somebody who is willing to play stars on the PK is on a plane to Pittsburgh.
lol you are seriously advocating Muller?

nhindian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkin4Top6Wingerz View Post
It's not that simple. We had Crosby and Malkin under MT and were miserable territorially. And under DB in 2010-2011 we experienced no real drop-off in our puck possession without them.
'10-'11 was an anomaly and to Bylsma's credit he coached the team incredibly well to grind out loser points and shootout wins in low-scoring, close games. Then they got bounced because the injuries caught up to them, but overall it's an anomaly.

We've got the two best players but I've got news: They're not 4 notches above everyone else in the league like the old Penguins. This has been explained to death by others on the board, but that's the difference. Plus there's a cap. We have an advantage in TOP END talent, but not talent overall.

The Hawks/Flyers/Blues/Sharks/Bruins and maybe others have at least as much talent than us if not more.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ogelthorpe
Who do you play for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesedanish87 View Post
You always talk about the pens talent but the pens talent is atleast top 3 in the league. They lose because they dont play def and lack discipline. You can't always use the besides sid and geno argument their the best players in the world u cant just excuse them when u talk about the pens talent. Its like saying the miami heat have no talent besides lebron and wade.
Using an NBA analogy isn't really good. Basketball players play 3/4 of a game, where hockey players do not. Also, you only see maybe 8 guys play total, where obviously hockey uses way more people, so depth is definitely more essential.

Ogelthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:23 PM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
It's not his fault. Shero can't force players to sign here. ZP was mean and led him on this summer. What was he supposed to do, have other options?

And Shero knows more about prospects than you do so don't you dare question his drafting. DP is going to be a Norris winner next year.

In Shero We Trust!
There were other options out there though besides him.

MrBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
nhindian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguinzilla View Post
-------------------------------------------------- Burtuzzo. I haven't seen ONE thing that makes him NHL ready. He's terrible. If a guy 5' tall is coming after him, he jumps up like he's scared. He's a spaz. He's terrible. He's goes down easy. He's just bad.... real bad.
He looks like a goat that's just learning to walk

Old
WarriorScholar

We need 2 more Crosby's and one more Malkin?

WarriorScholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
plaidchuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramp23 View Post
I am visiting here and I have no desire to be banned from the site, so I am not going to argue with you. I was simply trying to make the point that maybe the Canes are a little more talented than the poster gives them credit for.
Ok yes we get it you're a Canes fan, good game and good luck till next time.

plaidchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post
Metallurg is 2-2 in it's first round playoff series against Salavat. Game 5 is March 1. Game 6 is March 3. here's hoping that on March 4 somebody who is willing to play stars on the PK is on a plane to Pittsburgh.
Oh, I see what you did there. I'd even take the guy on the bench with him to replace the goalie killer coach.

Mustache boy from Buffalo works too.

Pretty sure there's a semi-retired guy in Phoenix who has forgotten more about tactics and bench management this week than Bylsma will ever know.

No matter which one it is, Fitzie and Tocchet work fine for me as assistants.

Old
laufer72
Ashburton Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
He's been the team's best player the last two games.

I'll just add two things:

1. Watching these last two games gives me renewed appreciation for how much he did last year with Crosby out of the lineup.

2. If these last two games don't convince Dan Bylsma of who should be the focal point of the PP, then . . . oh, never mind, he's clueless.
Would like to say a lot of things but I'll keep my mouth shut....

laufer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Fire Shero*

Come on Mario. Clean house.

Fire Shero* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:24 PM
Beauner
Bye Bye Bylsma

vCash: 50
We talk about getting a winger for Sid or Geno but really this team needs everything. It needs a top 6 winger, it needs third liners that are tough to play against and can bring momentum, and at least one more veteran defenseman. This team is a mess.

Beauner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:24 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhindian View Post
lol you are seriously advocating Muller?

Maurice. at least he's coached a 1000+ NHL games and knows how to use Malkin.

Muller is the coach of the team that just kicked our ass.

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:25 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
It's not his fault. Shero can't force players to sign here. ZP was mean and led him on this summer. What was he supposed to do, have other options?

And Shero knows more about prospects than you do so don't you dare question his drafting. DP is going to be a Norris winner next year.

In Shero We Trust!
When I think of the Ray Shero who has managed the Pens since they won the cup, I think of the old saying about the Palestinians. Shero never misses an opportunity to miss an opportunity.

Old
rocky7
Merry Christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
Couldn't agree more.

I think his shelf life will reach it's end eventually in Pittsburgh unfortunately, unless he learns to fix all of the ******** he brings to the ice. It obviously won't be this season, and it probably wont' be next season, but soon. With the defenseman coming up through the system, and how much money Letang will potentially earn on his next contract...
Hockey fans really make me laugh. Not just you but in general, and this applies to all teams. A guy is playing well and he's a hero. Comes back after being injured and is not up to speed and he's the goat. Happens all the time in every rink game to game. Norris Trophy finalist ring a bell? If anyone is looking for someone to point fingers at regarding the Pens over the last couple of years, it should be as usual, Shero and Bylsma. No excuses for a team with this talent (barring a few holes). Bylsma gets out-coached constantly. Any team in the league would gladly take Letang in a heart beat and pay him whatever he wants if they could afford him.

rocky7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
nhindian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
Pens are a **** team, incase you have missed them this season.
I know we just lost two bad games, but now being 2nd in the conference = **** team...

ok guy

Old
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg1 View Post
We talk about getting a winger for Sid or Geno but really this team needs everything. It needs a top 6 winger, it needs third liners that are tough to play against and can bring momentum, and at least one more veteran defenseman. This team is a mess.
The winger yeah, the 3rd line I'm okay with except Kennedy, who they could find a replacement for if necessary.

As far as a veteran Dman, sup Michalek?

We vacated that cap space because Shero was nice enough to ask Michalek if he wanted to leave and he did. Can you imagine if Martin said yes to a trade? We'd have Bort and Despres in there every night *shudder*

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote