HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Plus-Minus Thread | Hurricanes 4, Penguins 1

Old
02-28-2013, 10:25 PM
Sheros Heroes

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
He's been the team's best player the last two games.

I'll just add two things:

1. Watching these last two games gives me renewed appreciation for how much he did last year with Crosby out of the lineup.

2. If these last two games don't convince Dan Bylsma of who should be the focal point of the PP, then . . . oh, never mind, he's clueless.
Dumb. It was just a bad game.

Sheros Heroes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:25 PM
malkovsby

if there was no blueline our transition game would be great..but posting up for the chip and charge isnt going to work on teams that have a half-mobile d-core

malkovsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:26 PM
laufer72
Ashburton Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post
Maurice. at least he's coached a 1000+ NHL games and knows how to use Malkin.

Muller is the coach of the team that just kicked our ass.
Pens need a good strategist, that uses firm structure, not sure if Maurice is one...

laufer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
nhindian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post
Maurice. at least he's coached a 1000+ NHL games and knows how to use Malkin.

Muller is the coach of the team that just kicked our ass.
typo sorry.

Maurice would be an awful decision.

nhindian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky7 View Post
Hockey fans really make me laugh. Not just you but in general, and this applies to all teams. A guy is playing well and he's a hero. Comes back after being injured and is not up to speed and he's the goat. Happens all the time in every rink game to game. Norris Trophy finalist ring a bell? If anyone is looking for someone to point fingers at regarding the Pens over the last couple of years, it should be as usual, Shero and Bylsma. No excuses for a team with this talent (barring a few holes). Bylsma gets out-coached constantly. Any team in the league would gladly take Letang in a heart beat and pay him whatever he wants if they could afford him.
Go find a post of mine that puts me in this other category of Pens fan you're describing.

You literally have no idea what you're even talking about.

MrBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
cheesedanish87

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
Would you like me to list the top 9 forwards of our team and then that of the Hawks, Bruins, Flyers, Sharks, Blues, etc.?
Il give you the Hawks might be more talented but they got a goalie who u cant feel great about going into the playoffs. Flyers? Is that a joke? Those teams are deeper then the pens but i never said the pens were the deepest teams in the league i said the most talented. Who out of those teams u mentioned besides hawks even have a player in the same league as sid and geno? Maybe Giroux but thats about it.

cheesedanish87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:27 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Oh, I see what you did there. I'd even take the guy on the bench with him to replace the goalie killer coach.

Mustache boy from Buffalo works too.

Pretty sure there's a semi-retired guy in Phoenix who has forgotten more about tactics and bench management this week than Bylsma will ever know.

No matter which one it is, Fitzie and Tocchet work fine for me as assistants.
imagine Larry Robinson as an associate coach. could have had him last off-season instead of playing footsie with ZP and Doan. Doug Wilson wasn't afraid to ruffle Todd McLellan's feathers. all it takes is money (which we have in spades) and humility (something that might be lacking). here's what Robinson had to say about the enigmatic Sharks when he was hired:

Quote:
"Even if you're the best player in the world, at some point, you have be told you're doing something wrong," he said. "My job is to make them not just good hockey players, but better hockey players."

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:28 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkin4Top6Wingerz View Post
DB has had the Penguins perform better in nearly every single aspect of measurable performance than MT other than the powerplay, and by a significant margin. That is all that needs to be said.
All that matters to me-- all that should matter to a general manager who has Crosby and Malkin in their primes-- is this: Does my coach put them-- and the team-- in the best possible position to win in the playoffs?

But, I'll grant you that DB has all the measurable things going for him. Guy has led the Pens to supplanting the Capitals as annual winners of the Stanley Cup in January.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Malkin4Top6Wingerz
Can you like, shutup

Quote:
'10-'11 was an anomaly and to Bylsma's credit he coached the team incredibly well to grind out loser points and shootout wins in low-scoring, close games. Then they got bounced because the injuries caught up to them, but overall it's an anomaly.
It was an anomaly in the sense that few if any other coaches could've pulled off the same feat. If you're saying that it was a fluke, I disagree. This team has just been territorially dominant from day one of DB's regime regardless of who is in the lineup. Malkin and Crosby are not singlehandedly responsible for that.

Quote:
We've got the two best players but I've got news: They're not 4 notches above everyone else in the league like the old Penguins. This has been explained to death by others on the board, but that's the difference. Plus there's a cap. We have an advantage in TOP END talent, but not talent overall.
I agree. This team has some roster issues which need to be addressed. A solid third wheel for Malkin's line is of the utmost importance. That line hasn't done anything 5 on 5 all year and we won't go far in the playoffs if that's not resolved.

Malkin4Top6Wingerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

I can't believe we gave Glass a two-year deal for $1.1 million per. Unreal. If we waived him tomorrow, he'd clear. No problem. One of the worst moves of the Shero era, fo sho.

Even Paul Bissonnette gives Phoenix an occasional point, and he doesn't even dress every night. Glass gets over 10 minutes to suck the big one nightly.

He may be one of the worst Penguins in a long, long time.

But we can't scratch him. Naw, he gets to our game. Gotta keep him in there.

Now that I think about it...Glass is pretty much as bad as Bylsma was as an NHL player. So, it makes sense to see him play as much as he does. This coach is such a joke, it's scary.

Not looking forward to what lies ahead live and in person in Montreal Saturday night.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KIRK

[QUOTE=Hophog;60702525]
Quote:
+ Fleury. One or two snafus playing the puck but honestly, he was solid in net the entire game.

- - - Glass. Scratch him, I am friggin done with him. He takes penalties frequently, the PK he's a part of isn't good, and he has zero offensive talent. How does this not translate to a scratch? Oh, sorry I forgot who the coach was.

This is the part that I don't get. DB sits gys lefft and right for no apparent reason and Glass, who brings virtually nothing, flies under the radar and gets to play night in and night out. At least Boychuk brings speed, hard work and seems to have the potential to pot a few goals. I'm not seeing what Glass has added to this team. I know he's here for some toughness and we need that but I don't think he's the answer. If he's not going to add toughness and energy why not play a guy like Boychuk in his spot. It seems like a coach would use these younger guys to motivate the vets by letting them know he's going to embarrass them by letting a rookie or new guy take their spot if they don't step up. Instead DB just seems to punish the young guys by yanking them.

I'm not a DB hater but I think it might soon be time to find out if its the coaches system or Shero's team that that sucks.
Unfortunately if it turns out to be Shero's problem it will be at DB's expense.
It's both.

Old
cheesedanish87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogelthorpe View Post
Using an NBA analogy isn't really good. Basketball players play 3/4 of a game, where hockey players do not. Also, you only see maybe 8 guys play total, where obviously hockey uses way more people, so depth is definitely more essential.
Fine I agree pens are no where near the deepest team in the league but depth and talent are two different things

Old
02-28-2013, 10:29 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesedanish87 View Post
Il give you the Hawks might be more talented but they got a goalie who u cant feel great about going into the playoffs. Flyers? Is that a joke? Those teams are deeper then the pens but i never said the pens were the deepest teams in the league i said the most talented. Who out of those teams u mentioned besides hawks even have a player in the same league as sid and geno? Maybe Giroux but thats about it.
Sounds familiar. Think I heard that a lot last year going into the playoffs.

I don't give a **** about comparing one player to another. Like I said, look at the top 9 on all the teams I mentioned compared to ours. We're not better, not by any stretch, and those teams all have 3-4 more guys that can make something happen on their own.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Quote:
The winger yeah, the 3rd line I'm okay with except Kennedy, who they could find a replacement for if necessary.

As far as a veteran Dman, sup Michalek?

We vacated that cap space because Shero was nice enough to ask Michalek if he wanted to leave and he did. Can you imagine if Martin said yes to a trade? We'd have Bort and Despres in there every night *shudder*
I couldn't possibly hate our 4th line any more than I currently do.

This team, with the way it wants to play, needs to have a big and punishing 4th line who can wear out teams. I'd be perfectly fine with moving Vitale to the 3rd line, getting rid of Kennedy, and waiving Adams, then getting a whole lot bigger and meaner on our 4th line.

MrBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
quins

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhindian View Post
He looks like a goat that's just learning to walk
Ok please. Bortz has been fine.

quins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques G View Post
+ I had vodka

- I no longer have vodka
+ Jaques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes C Addle View Post
Worst showing of the year. Or at least a tie with the islanders game.
Same dog-**** play, different arena. Although Carolina is definitely a more balanced team than NYI. They're not as bad as some people think. Got a bunch of guys off the injury list today. Tlusty... I don't know where TF he came from. All of a sudden they have a guy who notches a two goal game every week to add to their top lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
Has anyone noticed that when Pens play bad, they STAY bad the whole game? w
Yes, and it is the sign of a team too comfortable with itself IMO. Contrary to what Kayla is saying below I actually think the problem is, these guys are too full of themselves as a group. That starts with the coach undeniably. Those attitudes always come from or are reinforced by the coaches. They know in theory they can score 3 goals in 3 minutes flat against anyone. The problem is they don't acknowledge that it's a rarity and most of the time they just score 1 goal and end up losing. Tonight they didn't even do that.

This team needs a shake-up and soon. Guys need to start fearing for their jobs again. Hockey is cyclical and we're at the end of the cycle where everyone is too familiar and relaxed with one another, and too confident they can overcome anything despite they fact they never show any urgency until it's too late. The coaching staff, Orpik, Kennedy need to go at at a minimum. Maybe Niskanen too. The always-calm Disco approach is not working for this team. Sometimes you need your coach to have some fire in him, show a little emotion without going Full Torts... Bylsma never shows any emotion. That's not good. You need a balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJ View Post
Some of these teams, even if they're not winning every game still look like they're having fun. The Pens go down one goal they see a mole hill as a mountain.

Last edited by Darth Vitale: 02-28-2013 at 10:35 PM.
Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
Orpik's interview was pretty telling...

Even though he sucked ass too, he's not wrong.
I nominate Brooks Orpik for the inaugural Mark Recchi 'Do as I Say, Not as I Do' Award.

Old
02-28-2013, 10:30 PM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

Just one thing on Orpik.... he will mishandle the puck at times and have ass-ugly breakouts on other occasions.

But he was not on the ice for ONE SINGLE GOAL against Florida or Canes, and that is interesting as he played big minutes in both games and every single goal against except Fleischmann's game winner and the empty netter - ie. 8 goals - were scored right in front of our goalies.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:30 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by laufer72 View Post
Would like to say a lot of things but I'll keep my mouth shut....
Dying to hear it now!

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:31 PM
Al Smith

+ PK (relatively speaking)
- Everything else. Started out bad with multiple giveaways and just got worse. One of the wrost all around games of the year.

Pens just not that great without a better d. Can't get expectations too high.

Al Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:32 PM
nhindian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quins View Post
Ok please. Bortz has been fine.
I didn't say anything about his play.

I just said his skating is one of the most awkward things I've ever seen

nhindian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:32 PM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by domaug View Post
the Canes don't suck but the Pens should have taken this game convincingly, with or without Malkin. the Canes aren't bottom-feeders but they're not an elite team.
Canes have played a stretch of games with half their D missing and without a couple of forwards also, including Skinner. That's a big reason they lost 4 of 5 prior to this game.

Look at the team they put out there tonight and add Pitkanen coming back. It is a playoff team for sure, and they will be a handful for pretty much anyone, I guarantee it.

Last edited by Tender Rip: 02-28-2013 at 10:38 PM.
Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:33 PM
plaidchuck

AH well. Mark my words they'll somehow win the Montreal game.

plaidchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Al Smith

[QUOTE=Crafton;60703601]imagine Larry Robinson as an associate coach.QUOTE]

I could imagine him today clearing the crease better than our current D.

Al Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
cheesedanish87

Quote:
Sounds familiar. Think I heard that a lot last year going into the playoffs.

I don't give a **** about comparing one player to another. Like I said, look at the top 9 on all the teams I mentioned compared to ours. We're not better, not by any stretch, and those teams all have 3-4 more guys that can make something happen on their own.
I said In the last post pens dont have a deep team but thats different then talent. We could trade sid and geno get back 5 really good players and be as deep as anyone.