HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Ovechkin: would it work in Montreal?

Old
02-28-2013, 09:17 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

vCash: 500
lol no

Ovie isnt the player he used to be

On top of that, he is more into partying than winning

So Ovie in Montreal? Hell no

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 09:23 PM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jee View Post
You guys are foolish if you think Ovy has negative value. He's still a superstar.
He is no longer a superstar.

JustAHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 09:23 PM
Miller Time

tough call...

late-20's and he's "struggling" (obviously still elite talent/skill, but not dominating the way a player as skilled or as highly paid as he should).

strong rumors/indications of a less-than-stellar approach to conditioning (which can only contribute to a steeper decline as he hits his mid-30's, if not sooner)

an aggressive/reckless style that does make eventual injuries/concussions a concern

a 9.5M$ cap hit for 8 more years

that's a lot of ?? marks, and even if he is "struggling", his value to the Caps from a marketing pov is still massive. They won't be dumping him for anything less than a high-quality return.

all things considered, I'd probably have to pass... or make them an offer they'd likely refuse.

DD
Bourque
Kaberle
Mtl 1st

(or Eller & our 2nd instead of DD/1st)

don't think you can send Gionta out if you're bringing in Ovie... locker room-wise you'd want him coming into some stability, and while he may not be vocal i suspect Gionta contributes to the seemingly positive environment they have going this year.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 09:25 PM
ryanwb

I think it could. Maybe he just needs a change of scenery. He may have lost his way, but there have been plenty of players who wear out their welcome in the first city/franchise they play in, only to move on to another and rejuvenate their careers.

ryanwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 09:28 PM
Nashy
The Honey Badger

My concern with Ovechkin is that he would come to Montreal and become Kovalev 2.0.....flashes of brilliance, followed by complete lack of effort.

The Mike Milbury rant about Ovechkin last night, shows a player, who just doesn't give a **** about his team. The Habs don't need that right now or ever.

Nashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 09:33 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashy View Post
My concern with Ovechkin is that he would come to Montreal and become Kovalev 2.0.....flashes of brilliance, followed by complete lack of effort.

The Mike Milbury rant about Ovechkin last night, shows a player, who just doesn't give a **** about his team. The Habs don't need that right now or ever.
Kovalev was our best player when get was here. With him we made three playoffs, without him, no playoffs.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 09:38 PM
Saundies

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Kovalev was our best player when get was here. With him we made three playoffs, without him, no playoffs.
I don't get the Kovy hate either. Best player on our team by a mile when he wanted to play, especially in the playoffs. Only player we've had in the last decade that made you perk up everytime he had the puck.

Anyway, if you could bring in Ovi without giving anything up (which wouldnt happen) then obviously you get him. I think he's way too comfortable in Washington right now; he knows he's "the man" there and they made him captain, which they should never have done. If he moves into another teams culture where he's not the captain and not the main leader in the room, I believe he'd thrive.

He'd definitely help our PP out.

Saundies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 09:46 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
?
He wasn't around during the two times we made the playoffs in the Jacques Martin era.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 09:47 PM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
tough call...

late-20's and he's "struggling" (obviously still elite talent/skill, but not dominating the way a player as skilled or as highly paid as he should).

strong rumors/indications of a less-than-stellar approach to conditioning (which can only contribute to a steeper decline as he hits his mid-30's, if not sooner)

an aggressive/reckless style that does make eventual injuries/concussions a concern

a 9.5M$ cap hit for 8 more years

that's a lot of ?? marks, and even if he is "struggling", his value to the Caps from a marketing pov is still massive. They won't be dumping him for anything less than a high-quality return.

all things considered, I'd probably have to pass... or make them an offer they'd likely refuse.

DD
Bourque
Kaberle
Mtl 1st

(or Eller & our 2nd instead of DD/1st)

don't think you can send Gionta out if you're bringing in Ovie... locker room-wise you'd want him coming into some stability, and while he may not be vocal i suspect Gionta contributes to the seemingly positive environment they have going this year.
why is Eller worth more than DD?

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 09:52 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Best to leave Ovechkin weighing down a competitor.

The 4 line, balanced, "team concept" is the direction. If a star player comes along in a draft, so be it, but I would be surprised if you ever hear Bergevin being interested in this player.

Agnostic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:13 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
oh hell to the **** no.

mcphee could throw a second round pick with the guy and i still wouldn't take him.

people like to ***** and complain and create locker-room cancers, well here's ovechkin and his ever so great attitude. 3 coaches, including one that said "**** this **** im going back to london". at some point, it's the player, not the coaches

players like should never be allowed to wear the CH. period.

/boom

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:20 PM
Kriss E

Really not interested in his contract, but I think Ovechkin would do amazing if he joined a team that already has a strong foundation.

In Washington, they made him to be the world. He was able to sustain the pressure early on in his career as players are usually just excited to play. But after a couple years, more responsibilities and results are expected, constantly.
If Caps lose, it's always all about Ovi.

I think the guy just has too much pressure in Washington. He needs to go a team that's already established with good leaders. Ovechkin needs to be a big piece of the puzzle, not the whole puzzle like he's regarded in Washington.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:23 PM
LastRide

Definitly lost a couple steps and terrible defensively. That cap hit is astronomical for what he will be bringing. The team would be handcuffed. He's making 9 million for a couple seasons, and then it jumps to 10 million for the next 7 years. 9.5 million cap hit for the next 9 years. Sign him and your guaranteed to stay at the bottom of the league for quite some time. Maybe score some first round picks..LOL. I wouldn't touch Vinny either.

Last edited by LastRide: 02-28-2013 at 10:34 PM.
LastRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:24 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
oh hell to the **** no.

mcphee could throw a second round pick with the guy and i still wouldn't take him.

people like to ***** and complain and create locker-room cancers, well here's ovechkin and his ever so great attitude. 3 coaches, including one that said "**** this **** im going back to london". at some point, it's the player, not the coaches

players like should never be allowed to wear the CH. period.

/boom
Quote:
“Family is always in the first position. It's his decision,” Alex Ovechkin said. “It's his decision so we have to live with it.”

Ovechkin admitted that personally it was “pretty hard” for him to adjust to Hunter’s defensive system early on. but that he tried to shelve his expectations and do what was best for the team, even if that included playing less than 15 minutes in some playoff games.

“It doesn’t matter if I like it or not, because he’s my coach and I have to listen,” Ovechkin said. “How he said, you have to be a plumber. So I was a plumber.”
Obviously the rumors that he left because of 1 player and that Ovy is selfish locker room cancer is the truth.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:39 PM
Et le But

I do think that without giving anything up, eating that awful contract is an interesting gamble. Part of the problem with Ovechkin is he was given keys to a franchise based on his marketing power more than his leadership. He developed under Boudreau's no defense run and gun team, and by the time they tried to change it, they already gave him the "C". McPhee is also a terrible GM who knows talent but not how to build a team, and the Caps have consistently been one of the most heartless, soft teams in the NHL.

You put Ovie in a different envionment and who knows. I mean look at Semin right now, for all the attacks he got, he's working his *** off in Carolina.

It's a very big risk and I wouldn't touch that contract and also give up any asset, but if the Caps get desperate enough to dump that contract...it's an interesting gamble. He's still an offensive beast, even if he's been found out. I'd rather give that money to Perry or spend less money in another skillled winger, but Montreal could be the kind of wake up call OV needs.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:42 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

There's a risk Ovechkin might turn out to be Gomez 2.0...

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:55 PM
Saundies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
There's a risk Ovechkin might turn out to be Gomez 2.0...
Even with two broken legs, you can NEVER compare Ovi to Scott Gomez.

Saundies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:58 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I do think that without giving anything up, eating that awful contract is an interesting gamble. Part of the problem with Ovechkin is he was given keys to a franchise based on his marketing power more than his leadership. He developed under Boudreau's no defense run and gun team, and by the time they tried to change it, they already gave him the "C". McPhee is also a terrible GM who knows talent but not how to build a team, and the Caps have consistently been one of the most heartless, soft teams in the NHL.

You put Ovie in a different envionment and who knows. I mean look at Semin right now, for all the attacks he got, he's working his *** off in Carolina.

It's a very big risk and I wouldn't touch that contract and also give up any asset, but if the Caps get desperate enough to dump that contract...it's an interesting gamble. He's still an offensive beast, even if he's been found out. I'd rather give that money to Perry or spend less money in another skillled winger, but Montreal could be the kind of wake up call OV needs.
i don't think it's that much of a gamble; the guy loves to play hockey, wants to perform, but his current environment is quite poisonous imo and counter productive. i don't think Ovi is C material, and probably the wrong move there.

Montreal defiantly needs wingers, especially big strong wingers. We have patches.. and gallagher as our core wingers, with gallagher being a surprise and quick addition to this teams core. Except for them, who do we have? aging gio? ryder? bourque? Since we let go of AK and Cammy, we haven't replaced them adequately, in terms of production. We need more depth on wing, and at least 1 big D (hopefully tinordi pans out) and we are starting to look for real.

But, now is not the time to go after a player like Ovi, his contract is very heavy. to trade for him will cost us pieces we cannot afford to give up: promising/semi-nhl ready rookies/prospects and some picks. We are not in such a position, nor is our prospect pool overflowing that we can afford to slim it down.
MTL is still in "rebuild" phase, even if we are top of the conference. Best indication of that was to trade away Veteran winger/contract in Cole and added yet another draft pick. The trade was quite obvious a downgrade (even if Ryder is producing better then cole) for MTL at wing, with purpose of making ourselves safer cap wise for the near future.

Last edited by uiCk: 02-28-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old
02-28-2013, 11:04 PM
SherbrookeW

It's not going to happen, but it would be a classic Sam Pollock-style move if it did. Like the Frank Mahovolich trade in '71. Get a true superstar in exchange for a few good players -- you win that trade, big. Get the guy who was the best hockey player in the world just a short time ago in exchange for Tinordi, Max Pac (who is terrific, but exactly the Mickey Redmond type of player) or whomever, short of Subban, Chucky or Price and the two or three others who you regard as core future.
But Wsh. won't deal him; it would be too great an admission of bad management.

SherbrookeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:10 PM
Cupmonger

I like all these comments on how Ovie isn't who he used to be...
Guy gets over 100 points for a long ass time. Then they face us in the playoffs. They lose. They overhaul their entire game plan. It doesn't work because they were built on heavy offense. New coach comes in and is supposed to clean up a huge mess but is struggling.

Yet, Ovie's bad... Please.

Look, I'll agree that his contract makes me cringe. And what we'll have to give in return is a major turnoff. Say he won't fit in with the system. But to say that Ovie isn't who he used to be because their team isn't playing great and it's been 3 seasons they're trying to fix it without much success, is...well, just stupid. It's fairly obvious he's not meshing into the system because their team is not built for the gameplan they want.

Cupmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:16 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
Obviously the rumors that he left because of 1 player and that Ovy is selfish locker room cancer is the truth.
and on hockey central, mclean talked about how hunter told him left because he just couldn't deal with all the ******** that was going on there. i know it's mclean, but still.

and i don't give two shakes of an aids monkey what he says, i do however care about what he does and for the past year and a half - more like 3 years really, but im feeling generous - the guy has been an embarrassment to himself and his team. with a 9.4 mil cap hit.

last playoffs i was pleasantly surprised at his play with and without the puck, surprised as in "oh look, he does give a ****", but this year he's back to his old floating self. go see milbury's rant if you need more convincing. i watch the occasional caps game and that game, while one of his worst performance, is not a anomaly.

people ***** that you don't win cups with small guys like desharnais, well you don't win cups with one-dimensional floaters that eats up ~15% of your cap

**** him and his 9.4 million cap hit

Old
02-28-2013, 11:41 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
and on hockey central, mclean talked about how hunter told him left because he just couldn't deal with all the ******** that was going on there. i know it's mclean, but still.

and i don't give two shakes of an aids monkey what he says, i do however care about what he does and for the past year and a half - more like 3 years really, but im feeling generous - the guy has been an embarrassment to himself and his team. with a 9.4 mil cap hit.

last playoffs i was pleasantly surprised at his play with and without the puck, surprised as in "oh look, he does give a ****", but this year he's back to his old floating self. go see milbury's rant if you need more convincing. i watch the occasional caps game and that game, while one of his worst performance, is not a anomaly.

people ***** that you don't win cups with small guys like desharnais, well you don't win cups with one-dimensional floaters that eats up ~15% of your cap

**** him and his 9.4 million cap hit
I think you're taking this a little too seriously.

I mean, you named Mclean and Milbury. Two guys you are fully aware of being dumb as crap.
Ovechkin has his flaws, but he's been painted as this absolutely horrendous guy. It's pretty ridiculous.
What about Backstrom? He hasn't been as great as he once was either.

Ovechkin is the Russian with the big deal though, so obviously, it's huge on him.

The Caps tried to turn Ovechkin into a player he isn't. Now people are going nuts about him not playing like he used to. Could it be due to this attempt to change him?
Nope, let's go in the good old ''russian lazy careless'' cliché, that's always more fun.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 12:04 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I think you're taking this a little too seriously.

I mean, you named Mclean and Milbury. Two guys you are fully aware of being dumb as crap.
Ovechkin has his flaws, but he's been painted as this absolutely horrendous guy. It's pretty ridiculous.
What about Backstrom? He hasn't been as great as he once was either.

Ovechkin is the Russian with the big deal though, so obviously, it's huge on him.

The Caps tried to turn Ovechkin into a player he isn't. Now people are going nuts about him not playing like he used to. Could it be due to this attempt to change him?
Nope, let's go in the good old ''russian lazy careless'' cliché, that's always more fun.
too seriously? TOO SERIOUSLY????

yeah a bit. im in one of those zones

milbury is dumb as a rock, but it doesn't make his point any less valid. mute the video is you like and pretend jesus christ himself is narrating. the video itself is damning enough. don't need his narration at all

the difference is backstrom tries. and i never brought up the russian thing, you did, he could be jupiterian for all i care. so let's not put words in my mouth shall we?

yes of course the new defensive system is partly responsible for his drop in production. kovalchuck adjusted, why can't he? and no way is the system responsible for him just floating around looking disinterested. it's a team sport and he's the captain.

and just to be absolutely clear: for a variety or reasons, from playstyle to effort level, from his great talent to his great cap hit; you couldn't pay me to take him on my canadiens. even though my rant may make it look that way, it's nothing personal

in that flyers game, can you imagine the reaction here and in the medias if that guy was playing for the canadiens and not the capitals? it would be hell, we've shipped off people for less before...

Old
03-01-2013, 12:10 AM
Teufelsdreck

Yes! It would make the Habs a powerhouse overnight. If fans miss having Cole as the RW power forward with 35 goals, think of what Ovechkin could do in comparison. The problem is, how would the Habs pry him away from the Caps without ceding the family farm in return.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 12:21 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
i'm not surprised hunter left because of what a mess that org is. Still don't see how you read that (i'm referring to your quote since i haven't seen/heard this discussion you are referring to) as Ovi being "the mess ***** that was going on there "

He might be partially responsible for some of the failures there, but defiantly not his fault the GM hasn't been able to properly manage the team into it's new "system", or his fault for the management and coaching prior to rely and build a system solely dependent on high offensive game play, and overly depending on few key players. Juggle starting goaltenders year in year out.

That kind of talent and skill doesn't just disappear overnight (he's still producing and setting in nicely with ribero, seems to be best move wsh has done in a while). As much as it's the players responsibility to mature properly and work hard to develop properly, it's also the duty of management and coaching to facilitate and help develop and surround such talent and skill. Ovi is no lazy person; tons of energy and passion, handled properly, mixed with his skills is top 5 forward in this league.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Yes! It would make the Habs a powerhouse overnight. If fans miss having Cole as the RW power forward with 35 goals, think of what Ovechkin could do in comparison. The problem is, how would the Habs pry him away from the Caps without ceding the family farm in return.
Not gonna happen, will have to deal away at least one of mtl's core players (price, subban, patches, and you can add both Gallys now to that list imo) + some pics/prospects.
Just not going to happen, and too bad because these opportunities (if there is one drop of truth to there being an interest of shopping Ovi, which IMO 99% sure he's not being shopped) happen oh so rarely, and this would be best thing happening to habs in a long time

Last edited by uiCk: 03-01-2013 at 12:38 AM.