HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Cap/Contract Type Question

Old
07-19-2006, 06:14 PM
Mike Krushelnyski

vCash: 500
Cap/Contract Type Question

My apologies if this has already been asked and answered previously.

I've been scanning through some of the Gomez trade/Devils cap situation threads and one thing keeps consistantly popping up from all the Devils fans that confuses me - and that is Dan McGillis and whether or not his salary counts towards the Devils final cap numbers or not.

As I understand it, McGillis is slated to make $2.2 mil in the coming season on a one-way contract.

According to Devils' fans, due to the fact that they intend to keep him in the minors, his salary does NOT count towards the cap.

Can someone explain to me if this is the case or not. This doesn't particularly seem to make sense to me, especially considering that McGillis's contract is one-way.

For example, hypothetically speaking and obvious waiver implications aside, say that Tampa assigns Brad Richards to the farm prior to this coming season, does that mean that his $7.8 mil would be off the books for Tampa as well?

Mike Krushelnyski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 07:18 PM
Realm

TB wouldnt take a cap hit for Richards but would have to pay his contract, if they called him up from the minors ANY team could pick him up for nothing and TB would have to pay half of his contract AND take half the cap hit. This obviously would not happen, but for a guy late in his career with 1 year left its possible.

Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 07:39 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Krushelnyski View Post
My apologies if this has already been asked and answered previously.

I've been scanning through some of the Gomez trade/Devils cap situation threads and one thing keeps consistantly popping up from all the Devils fans that confuses me - and that is Dan McGillis and whether or not his salary counts towards the Devils final cap numbers or not.

As I understand it, McGillis is slated to make $2.2 mil in the coming season on a one-way contract.

According to Devils' fans, due to the fact that they intend to keep him in the minors, his salary does NOT count towards the cap.

Can someone explain to me if this is the case or not. This doesn't particularly seem to make sense to me, especially considering that McGillis's contract is one-way.

For example, hypothetically speaking and obvious waiver implications aside, say that Tampa assigns Brad Richards to the farm prior to this coming season, does that mean that his $7.8 mil would be off the books for Tampa as well?
This has already been answered over in the many NJD/Gomez threads - McGillis' $2.2M counts against the cap during the offseason (when the cap limit is increased 10%) and does not count against the cap after the season starts, assuming he is waived and sent down again.

Players in the AHL (except for players like AlMo or Malakhov whe signed multi years SPCs at 35+yo) do not count against the cap during the regular season.

kdb209 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 08:35 PM
Irish Blues

Before too long, I'm going to create a sticky to address all of this so we don't have 137 threads asking essentially the same question.