HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Jan Mursak clears waivers

Closed Thread

Old
02-25-2013, 03:17 PM
DRWCountryClub

vCash: 500
Ferraro is looking like a nice player to have on the third line, Sheahan seems to be doing very well too, in his first real pro season. Would you guys have Sheahan pegged as a guy who can play in the top six? Or is he the perfect third line center?

Man, with Jarnkrok, Sheahan, Ferraro, Tatar, Nyquist all getting close, this is actually really exciting. Here's hoping the skilled guys are given the opportunities.

Old
02-27-2013, 07:47 PM
heyfolks

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fading Captain View Post
Talk to anyone who knows Mursak.

Kid is a class act. He's a smart kid who kept awesome grades in junior. He's polite and stays out of trouble while the rest of his junior team was in the police blotter.

So when some dude on the Internet hears and interview and says Jan sounded "entitled," I roll my eyes.

Jan is done here. He never got a shot here.
And that's why I wish he got claimed.

The Wings should let him go to Europe and get out of the system
+1

Mursak will head to Europe and make some nice $$$. It would not surprise me to see him find his way into the NHL after a few years of play over seas.

Old
02-27-2013, 07:55 PM
VladTheImpaler
Go Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty View Post
Ferraro is looking like a nice player to have on the third line, Sheahan seems to be doing very well too, in his first real pro season. Would you guys have Sheahan pegged as a guy who can play in the top six? Or is he the perfect third line center?

Man, with Jarnkrok, Sheahan, Ferraro, Tatar, Nyquist all getting close, this is actually really exciting. Here's hoping the skilled guys are given the opportunities.
I think Sheahan is an ideal bottom-six center, but he does seem to be displaying more scoring touch this year than he has in the past. I think he could possibly play some wing in the top-six every now and then and be an effective net presence player on the power-play.

Just my opinion.

Old
02-27-2013, 07:57 PM
solo16

vCash: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by VladTheImpaler View Post
I think Sheahan is an ideal bottom-six center, but he does seem to be displaying more scoring touch this year than he has in the past. I think he could possibly play some wing in the top-six every now and then and be an effective net presence player on the power-play.

Just my opinion.
I think he is very close to being a solid bottom sixer. I still think he projects as a scoring center. That kinda player always gets their offensive flair later in life. I think he has top 6 center upside fairly likely imo.

Just a hunch based on his attributes and talents. I would not be shocked if he ends up a very good 3rd line center but I still aim higher.

Old
02-27-2013, 09:02 PM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

The Primeau comparisons seemed fitting. I'm thinking he's a 2nd line center that plays both sides of the puck.

Old
02-27-2013, 09:10 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg Yzerman View Post
The Primeau comparisons seemed fitting. I'm thinking he's a 2nd line center that plays both sides of the puck.
Primeau was pretty damn good. I don't see Sheahan at that level

Old
02-28-2013, 12:18 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
If they mean somewhere between Keith and Wayne I agree.

People Keith Primeau was the third overall pick and had a heck of a career, one people would respect more without the injuries that cut it short.

I think of Sheahan as a Jarrett Stoll type. Stoll has been capable of having big seasons, just hasn't had one in a while but his tools put him in a good second great third line center. When he is on, he is a very good second line center if we could get Riley to be a little more consistant it would be a big win as Stoll has the ability to be a 50 point player and has been. But they remind me of each other a little, big body, heavy shot, good both ways, great special teams player but probably never a star and that is fine.

Keith Primeau was a star level player, once upon a time the great Scotty Bowman thought it was worth moving Yzerman to go with a one two punch of Fedorov and Primeau. In fact if he doesn't turn down the contract extension who knows what happens, part of the reason the Shanahan deal happened was Primeau wanted more ice time and wouldn't sign in Detroit. If he is okay with what was happening we never probably get Shanny.

Old
02-28-2013, 10:46 AM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

Quote:
This is most definitely true. Perhaps a Primeau-lite.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:14 AM
Marky9er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg Yzerman View Post
This is most definitely true. Perhaps a Primeau-lite.
I think Stoll is a good benchmark for him, I think names like Primeau or Brind'Amour are a stretch even with the 'lite'. Wait, Brind'Amour lite?! Yes please!! :p

Old
02-28-2013, 11:31 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
If they mean somewhere between Keith and Wayne I agree.

People Keith Primeau was the third overall pick and had a heck of a career, one people would respect more without the injuries that cut it short.

I think of Sheahan as a Jarrett Stoll type. Stoll has been capable of having big seasons, just hasn't had one in a while but his tools put him in a good second great third line center. When he is on, he is a very good second line center if we could get Riley to be a little more consistant it would be a big win as Stoll has the ability to be a 50 point player and has been. But they remind me of each other a little, big body, heavy shot, good both ways, great special teams player but probably never a star and that is fine.

Keith Primeau was a star level player, once upon a time the great Scotty Bowman thought it was worth moving Yzerman to go with a one two punch of Fedorov and Primeau. In fact if he doesn't turn down the contract extension who knows what happens, part of the reason the Shanahan deal happened was Primeau wanted more ice time and wouldn't sign in Detroit. If he is okay with what was happening we never probably get Shanny.
If Primeau had a different attitude, we may not have needed Shanny. While he put up some points for us, he didn't embrace that gritty, determined play until later in his career. Of course, he probably doesn't develop that if he wasn't traded.

02-28-2013, 11:34 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
If Primeau had a different attitude, we may not have needed Shanny. While he put up some points for us, he didn't embrace that gritty, determined play until later in his career. Of course, he probably doesn't develop that if he wasn't traded.
We needed Shanny. he was exactly what he needed. I've read a lot of things about Shanny that make me question his integrity.

But as a hockey player, he helped give this team the skill, toughness and swagger it needed to get over the hump.

A 23-year-old Primeau wasn't going to do that for us.

Old
02-28-2013, 12:28 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
We needed Shanny. he was exactly what he needed. I've read a lot of things about Shanny that make me question his integrity.

But as a hockey player, he helped give this team the skill, toughness and swagger it needed to get over the hump.

A 23-year-old Primeau wasn't going to do that for us.
Could you elaborate a little?

Old
02-28-2013, 12:31 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
only if it isn't libelous.

Old
02-28-2013, 12:50 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
Well, for one, he cheated with teammate Janney's wife and eventually married her.

For two, while Fedorov received lots of criticism, I've heard insiders suggest that Shanny's media-friendly mug grated on his teammates.

Some have suggested that Shanny undermined the PA in 2004-05

he then gets rewarded with a job in the NHL's front office.

There's enough smoke here for me to believe Shanny is a self-promoting weasel who doesn't mind stabbing his friends in the back to get ahead.

Old
02-28-2013, 02:13 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Well, for one, he cheated with teammate Janney's wife and eventually married her.

For two, while Fedorov received lots of criticism, I've heard insiders suggest that Shanny's media-friendly mug grated on his teammates.

Some have suggested that Shanny undermined the PA in 2004-05

he then gets rewarded with a job in the NHL's front office.

There's enough smoke here for me to believe Shanny is a self-promoting weasel who doesn't mind stabbing his friends in the back to get ahead.
Ok, thank you sir. Tend to agree.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:04 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
The last post that actually involved Mursak was like 4 days ago. And clearly we've diverged into other topics here.

I think this thread has run its course.

Closed Thread