HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

OT Sacramento looking to finance new arena; UPD NBA rejects relocation to Seattle bid

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2013, 09:25 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
Why can't the NBA just do a 2 team expansion to Seattle and Vancouver, and end this?
Because they're probably the last of the four leagues that will be considering expansion any time soon.

Old
02-28-2013, 09:25 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

vCash: 500
I think the NBA is the league that should look most at contraction.

Old
02-28-2013, 09:43 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Why can't the NBA just do a 2 team expansion to Seattle and Vancouver, and end this?
Its not economically fieasable to do so.

Why would owners agree to something that will only divide the pie 32 times? The NBA is not going to expand.

Old
02-28-2013, 10:05 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Because they're probably the last of the four leagues that will be considering expansion any time soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
I think the NBA is the league that should look most at contraction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
Its not economically fieasable to do so.

Why would owners agree to something that will only divide the pie 32 times? The NBA is not going to expand.
Is it better to be known as the league the moves teams all the time? The league the can't get into markets because of lack of loyalty?

Expansion is the better option. I would agree with you guys, this is a pr nightmare. NHL(Atl/Phx) and NBA need to grow up about internal management. Being known as the humpty and dumpty of the sports world is a farce.

Old
02-28-2013, 10:12 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Is it better to be known as the league the moves teams all the time? The league the can't get into markets because of lack of loyalty?

Expansion is the better option. I would agree with you guys, this is a pr nightmare. NHL(Atl/Phx) and NBA need to grow up about internal management. Being known as the humpty and dumpty of the sports world is a farce.
Economically it is not a better option. They said its not an option. Spitting up the pie 32 times like i said negates the expansion fee they would get.

Old
02-28-2013, 10:25 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by gernb View Post
Attempt to purchase a team that is already sold. I don't think Hansen is going to want to sell to Mastrov.
The sale hasn't been approved so no they aren't already sold.

Old
02-28-2013, 10:45 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheHockeyFan View Post
KJ himself has stated that even without the Kings, they would still build an arena to bring in events and future sports franchises.
Build an world class arena on spec?

Old
02-28-2013, 11:05 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
Build an world class arena on spec?
It's not really speculation. No prominent sporting event will come to Sacramento and Arco...now Sleep Train Arena as the host. Things like NCAA tournaments have said they won't come back without a new arena. A new arena can be ran like Kansas City's new arena if the worst-case scenario of no professional franchise comes back to town assuming the Kings leave for Seattle.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:14 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
The sale hasn't been approved so no they aren't already sold.
it's a foregone conclusion that the PSA btwn Hansen and the Maloofs will pass, PF.... Sacramento is setting themselves up for a KC Owned facility, just as Hansen got SODO Passed.... unless Sacramento wants to sue Hansen and the Maloofs similar to the Al Davis precedent from OAK to LA and back, not even Bennett alone can block this deal, because his end means the shared history of the Sonics/Thunder continues on, since Bennett's deal is to leave the name/colors behind... now the Kings history back to the origins of the NBA MIGHT Cease to exist.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:15 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:

Really? How many people outside Sacramento view this as an embarrassment, honestly? Unless we're talking about multiple in consecutive years, I don't think many people really view relocations as all that embarrassing for a league unless they're prone to mock that league in the first place.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:15 PM
Clowe Me

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gernb View Post
Attempt to purchase a team that is already sold. I don't think Hansen is going to want to sell to Mastrov.
The Kings haven't been sold yet. The NBA needs to approve the deal, and even then it could get tied up in court if one of the minority owners wants to sue (and John Kehriotis will).

Old
02-28-2013, 11:16 PM
gstommylee

sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--sacramento-has--shot--to-keep-kings-after-putting-together-bid-to-challenge-seattle-group-042956900.html

Looks like sacramento's bid will not be more than Hansen's offer. Its not even matching it either.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:16 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
it's a foregone conclusion that the PSA btwn Hansen and the Maloofs will pass, PF.... Sacramento is setting themselves up for a KC Owned facility, just as Hansen got SODO Passed.... unless Sacramento wants to sue Hansen and the Maloofs similar to the Al Davis precedent from OAK to LA and back, not even Bennett alone can block this deal, because his end means the shared history of the Sonics/Thunder continues on, since Bennett's deal is to leave the name/colors behind... now the Kings history back to the origins of the NBA MIGHT Cease to exist.
All I'm going to say is that those thinking that it's a foregone conclusion that the sale process will go along and the team moves to Seattle might want to hedge their bets a little bit. It's not a done deal yet.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:18 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
The Kings haven't been sold yet. The NBA needs to approve the deal, and even then it could get tied up in court if one of the minority owners wants to sue (and John Kehriotis will).

Kehriotis last i heard is not claiming RORF. He's a back up plan in case Hansen's sale is voted down. He knows the Maloofs won't sell to the Sacramento group.

A lawsuit will not help sacramento keep the team. If someone sues over the Sale to seattle's group its looking very unlikely that Sacramento will get a team again.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:19 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
They said the same thing about the move to Anaheim a couple of years back. That got shot down by the league, and that wasn't nearly as complex as a sale and move.

This isn't even close to being settled.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:19 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
All I'm going to say is that those thinking that it's a foregone conclusion that the sale process will go along and the team moves to Seattle might want to hedge their bets a little bit. It's not a done deal yet.
why would the NBA Put the Kings on the 4/19 agenda docket then, PF, if it isn't a done deal, stop arguing a point for which everyone has told you it's all but done

Old
02-28-2013, 11:21 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
They said the same thing about the move to Anaheim a couple of years back. That got shot down by the league, and that wasn't nearly as complex as a sale and move.

What are you talking about? Just about everybody said it wasn't going to happen due to opposition from the Lakers and Clippers. That was a significantly more complex move than to Seattle just by that very fact.

Simple facts.... the NBA likes the Hansen's, don't seem at all enamored with Sacramento, and they pretty evidently want to go back to Seattle sooner rather than later. Sucks for Sacramento, but they're getting the raw end of the deal here just as Seattle got screwed over a few years back.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:22 PM
gstommylee

Quote:

Anaheim was shot down cause they don't want 3 teams in the LA market.

Sacramento has a lot to get done to even have a shot at keeping team.

They have 7 weeks to get a completely fully funded arena plan. Mastrov net worth is only 350m i don't see how that would work with the NBA.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:22 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
Kehriotis last i heard is not claiming RORF. He's a back up plan in case Hansen's sale is voted down. He knows the Maloofs won't sell to the Sacramento group.

A lawsuit will not help sacramento keep the team. If someone sues over the Sale to seattle's group its looking very unlikely that Sacramento will get a team again.
You keep saying this and yet you ignore the fact that Seattle did the same damn thing and is right in the running for a team. You need to stop misleading people. NBA won't give a damn if Sacramento files a suit trying to keep their team.

Quote:
why would the NBA Put the Kings on the 4/19 agenda docket then, PF, if it isn't a done deal, stop arguing a point for which everyone has told you it's all but done
You do realize it is within their power to reject the sale at that meeting, right? Why would the NBA give Sacramento the March 1st deadline for a proposal to keep the team if it was a done deal?

Old
02-28-2013, 11:26 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
What are you talking about? Just about everybody said it wasn't going to happen due to opposition from the Lakers and Clippers. That was a significantly more complex move than to Seattle just by that very fact.

Simple facts.... the NBA likes the Hansen's, don't seem at all enamored with Sacramento, and they pretty evidently want to go back to Seattle sooner rather than later. Sucks for Sacramento, but they're getting the raw end of the deal here just as Seattle got screwed over a few years back.
Stern said himself that losing Sacramento would be terrible. Why would he allow them to plan for counteroffers with both the Anaheim and proposed Seattle deals?

He isn't out to screw Sacramento. He couldn't care less about anything other than profit for the league, and whoever has the better deal for the league will win.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:30 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Quote:
You keep saying this and yet you ignore the fact that Seattle did the same damn thing and is right in the running for a team. You need to stop misleading people. NBA won't give a damn if Sacramento files a suit trying to keep their team.

You do realize it is within their power to reject the sale at that meeting, right? Why would the NBA give Sacramento the March 1st deadline for a proposal to keep the team if it was a done deal?
no, I agree w/ NFS, NAME THE Last sports league to block a relocation, PF.... and no, Seattle didn't do the same thing when Bennett moved the original franchise, why were the name/colors given back to the city for the next franchise, then, PF, as part of Bennett's exit, REMEMBER he also owned the WNBA Storm which was sold to Force Ten, LLC, and remained in Seattle while he took the Sonics to OKC... Schultz had no more rights to the Sonics once he sold them to Bennett, that's why that haphazard attempt went nowhere once Schultz found out that was Bennett's intent.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:34 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
Stern said himself that losing Sacramento would be terrible. Why would he allow them to plan for counteroffers with both the Anaheim and proposed Seattle deals?

He isn't out to screw Sacramento. He couldn't care less about anything other than profit for the league, and whoever has the better deal for the league will win.
Because why not? It doesn't do anything negative to the league to allow them to make counteroffers and might even help rustle a few less feathers. Plus, it keeps the door open on the off-chance that Seattle falls apart or Sacramento hits a huge grand slam.

And yes, profit is his main interest, which is why the league actively sent the message with the original Sonics that municipalities are expected to heavily fund new arenas should a team come calling and they're more interested in a new arena in Seattle than a new arena in Sacramento.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:34 PM
gstommylee

Quote:

There is no NBA deadline on the Kings. That was a self imposed deadline by Kevin Johnson.

The NBA cares cause it would be the courts telling them who they can or can't sell to. The NBA has the right to choose who they have as owners. The NBA has leverage here. If there is a lawsuit here the NBA will defend Maloof's sale to Seattle's group and it won't look good for sacramento. As soon as NBA approves the sale to Hansen's group its over.

The two seattle lawsuits didn't do much in preventing Bennet from moving the team. Seattle's lawsuit over the lease was settled and schultz's lawsuit was dropped.

Only legit reason as too why NBA would say no to Seattle's offer if there was money issues and there is no money issues.

If NBA says no to seattle's offer then they will create an unprecedented issue within the BOG of owners telling other owners who they can or can't sell too when comes up to them wanting to sell the team.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:36 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
no, I agree w/ NFS, NAME THE Last sports league to block a relocation, PF.... and no, Seattle didn't do the same thing when Bennett moved the original franchise, why were the name/colors given back to the city for the next franchise, then, PF, as part of Bennett's exit, REMEMBER he also owned the WNBA Storm which was sold to Force Ten, LLC, and remained in Seattle while he took the Sonics to OKC... Schultz had no more rights to the Sonics once he sold them to Bennett, that's why that haphazard attempt went nowhere once Schultz found out that was Bennett's intent.
The NBA unofficially blocked the Kings' first attempt to relocate to Anaheim. When I said Seattle did the same thing, I'm speaking of filing lawsuit because of the move. Pretending like a lawsuit is going to make the NBA so mad to blacklist a city from a franchise coming back if it works for them is patently absurd.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:38 PM
Shaz

KJ's press conference tonight only strengthened my belief that the Kings are going to be the Sonics next season

Sorry Sacramento, valiant effort

Closed Thread