HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Greg Sherman & Co - Record as Colorado Avalanche GM

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2013, 08:49 PM
Heebs21*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterForsberg View Post
No, this guy is an absolute joke. He sabotaged the season by not offering ROR what he wanted, but then pays him even more... IDIOT. LET HIM GO.
ROR wanted 5M per year. He got what he wanted.

Old
02-28-2013, 08:54 PM
Foppa2118

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Anyone still want to make excuses for this guy? Or his boss for that matter?
I don't like the way this situation played out, but I dont' fault Sherman for not wanting to give in to O'Reilly's demands to be paid more than Duchene. Especially with what is now obvious he was asking for.

I also hate the return of a potential mid round 1st and 3rd.

The only thing I'm upset with is if there was a good offer on the table, and they didn't take it, but there's no way to find that out.

Otherwise I maintain he has made some good moves, and minor complaints about losing Liles, and injury riddled players like Mueller and Flash aren't that big a deal.

Old
02-28-2013, 09:06 PM
Heebs21*

Well I dont know about you guys but I sure am glad we traded a 1 and 2 for a goalie who has a 2.77 GAA and a .907 SV %

Brilliant. This is almost as bad as the EJ trade.

Old
02-28-2013, 10:53 PM
Kloparren
Hth

His current defence even with EJ is enough to fire him imo. Forget poor asset mgmt, he's assembled a terrible defence.

Old
02-28-2013, 10:55 PM
falconski
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heebs21 View Post
Well I dont know about you guys but I sure am glad we traded a 1 and 2 for a goalie who has a 2.77 GAA and a .907 SV %

behind the worst D in NHL history since EJ was injured

Old
02-28-2013, 10:56 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post
His current defence even with EJ is enough to fire him imo. Forget poor asset mgmt, he's assembled a terrible defence.
Agreed. Like I said, he put together a defense so bad he wasn't even able to gradually phase in Barrie and Elliott like he had obviously planned.

And before those of you swoop in and say "well what defensemen would you have had him sign?" I would say that he could have and should have done better than re-sign O'Brien and/or sign Zanon.

Old
02-28-2013, 10:57 PM
Steve Varmalov
And Then....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heebs21 View Post

You're right, how did you become so smart?

Old
02-28-2013, 11:05 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I don't like the way this situation played out, but I dont' fault Sherman for not wanting to give in to O'Reilly's demands to be paid more than Duchene. Especially with what is now obvious he was asking for.

I also hate the return of a potential mid round 1st and 3rd.

The only thing I'm upset with is if there was a good offer on the table, and they didn't take it, but there's no way to find that out.

Otherwise I maintain he has made some good moves, and minor complaints about losing Liles, and injury riddled players like Mueller and Flash aren't that big a deal.
Why was that so obvious? The offer sheet? It was structured in a way to deter the Avs. If anything it's more than what he was reportedly asking for (and according to his agent, denied). That doesn't mean O'Reilly's camp was demanding $9 million over the next calendar year. The offer sheet is not evidence of what they were demanding.

If anything, this just proves that the Avs approach to business is flawed. And it came back to bite them in a BIG way in the form of a disgruntled former employee helping orchestrate an offer sheet for a holdout player. Lacroix's chickens have come home to roost.

If I'm ownership, I look at the way Sherman and Lacroix utterly mishandled this situation and wonder why I should keep two guys who just let the organization get strongarmed into signing a deal for far, far more than what they were willing to offer, and even more than what the player was reportedly demanding.

BTW, those of you who said O'Reilly had no leverage? Guess again.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:06 PM
detrude
(╯□)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Agreed. Like I said, he put together a defense so bad he wasn't even able to gradually phase in Barrie and Elliott like he had obviously planned.

And before those of you swoop in and say "well what defensemen would you have had him sign?" I would say that he could have and should have done better than re-sign O'Brien and/or sign Zanon.
Who is this amazing flavor of the week that we missed out on this time?

Old
02-28-2013, 11:07 PM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Quote:
Originally Posted by detrude View Post
Lidstrom. lol.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:22 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Okay, whatever...we'll play this game yet again.

http://www.mynhltraderumors.com/2011...ed-defensemen/

Scott Hannan signed for $1 million. Nearly a million less than Greg Zanon. I'm no Hannan fan, and have said as much many times, but I'll take him over The Beard any day.

Never said there were great options, but really? Greg Zanon was the best Sherman could do!?

Old
02-28-2013, 11:30 PM
detrude
(╯□)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Quote:

Scott Hannan signed for $1 million. Nearly a million less than Greg Zanon. I'm no Hannan fan, and have said as much many times, but I'll take him over The Beard any day.

Never said there were great options, but really? Greg Zanon was the best Sherman could do!?
We're going to keep playing this game until you actually name a defender that doesn't suck nuts. Hannan is at least a (very) minor step up from Redden and a hypothetical trade for Yannick Weber, but seriously? You're really just grabbing at straws now so you can complain about something.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:35 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
We're going to keep playing this game until you actually name a defender that doesn't suck nuts. Hannan is at least a (very) minor step up from Redden and a hypothetical trade for Yannick Weber, but seriously? You're really just grabbing at straws now so you can complain about something.
I suppose it's a matter of opinion. I think Hannan is still better than Zanon, but not by much.

Last edited by Av-merican: 02-28-2013 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Eh...no need for me to get TOO insulting.
Old
02-28-2013, 11:59 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Feel free to disagree, I just don't like the job Sherman did this offseason. At all. So much so in fact that I want him gone. I was willing to be patient until now, but I just lost all confidence in the guy.

Unfortunately, I think he's only a symptom of a bigger problem.

I hope Pracey gets a shot in any event.

Old
03-01-2013, 12:04 AM
detrude
(╯□)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
I suppose it's a matter of opinion. I think Hannan is still better than Zanon, but not by much.

If you think I'm just 'grasping at straws' in light of this latest failure and the ones before it, you should take McNab's place as Chief Avalanche Apologist.
Have you watched Hannan this year? Guy is terrible on a team with an actual defensive structure. Switch the names and the conversation would be the same: Sherman failed because he signed Hannan.

Yeah, I guess I'm an apologist because I don't believe Campoli (not in the NHL), Redden (scratch), Hannan (1 point, -9 on a playoff team), or a hypothetical trade for Yannick Weber (scratch) would improve our team. It's 'anyone but who we have' syndrome, and it's a different anyone each week. The only real players worth anything this summer were Suter, Carle, and Garrison: two of the three knew where they were signing before July 1, the other was a typical UFA overpayment. Zanon is a plug, nothing more. He was a capable top-4 guy just last year. He hasn't really worked out so far, but who has under Sacco?

Old
03-01-2013, 12:10 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:

Scott Hannan signed a month and a half after the Avs signed Zanon. You really think his asking price was $1M on July 1st, and no one took him up on it?

Old
03-01-2013, 12:44 AM
Foppa2118

I'll say one thing positive, the hindsight is absolutely impecable in this thread the last week or so.

Old
03-01-2013, 08:53 AM
cgf

Quote:

Hannan would be just as useless, he's like a poor version of Hejda. And as a bottom pairing guy the difference between him and Zanon is pointless. Our D desperately needs an EJ Partner, but we couldn't get one since Suter and Garrison had other plans. Outside of an EJ partner our D doesn't need much

Partner - EJ
Hejda - Barrie
Wilson - SOB/ROB/Zanon/Hunwicles

Would the D really look much better if it where Hannan out there with Wilson? No, the only way to seriously improve our D was to add legit top 4 guys other than EJ and Hejda, now Barrie has shown to be one, but there wasn't a top pairing guy available to us.

Old
03-01-2013, 09:03 AM
AslanRH
Part of the Plan

On paper to start the year, I didn't think the defense looked that bad.

-Zanon and SOB have played under expectations, but have also played more minutes than they should have had to. Steady 5/6 play is what they were brought in for, not #2/4 minutes.
-ROB has just been poor, but he was already signed.
-Hunwick is Hunwick.
-Barrie/Elliot were to get their time as injuries arose (which was likely in the short season)
-Not having our best Defensive Center to help the D did not help either.

My issue lies more on the Coach than Sherman. This team looks lost too often in their own zone.

Old
03-01-2013, 09:11 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Varmalov View Post

You're right, how did you become so smart?
I'm thrilled with having added this troll to my ignore list...too bad you guys keep quoting and encouraging him.

Old
03-01-2013, 09:29 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Going WAY back in the thread, it looks like I've turned on Sherman before.

Anyhow, I stand by my earlier supposition that Sherman's trades by themselves look good, but together, if they don't end up assembling a winner then they weren't good trades. I still feel like he digs two holes in order to fill one and then doesn't do enough to fill those. But we'll see I guess. I still won't be surprised in the least if he loses his job over this fiasco.

Old
03-01-2013, 09:36 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Outsider here, no offense intended but Mr. Sherman did not impress in yesterday's O'Reilly presser. Looked out of his league.

Old
03-01-2013, 09:42 AM
niwotsblessing

No matter what the outcome of the O'Reilly situation people would be in here calling for Sherman's firing. Lacroix should be fired, let Sherman, Sakic and the scouts run the club.

Old
03-01-2013, 10:42 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Outsider here, no offense intended but Mr. Sherman did not impress in yesterday's O'Reilly presser. Looked out of his league.
None taken, certainly not from a Sherman detractor like me.

That's what happens when a GM is holed up in his cave for weeks, months at a time and then is forced into the light by outside circumstances.

It's funny...I always thought one of the reasons Michel Goulet went from heir apparent to prodigal son was because he did everything possible to avoid the media. Silly me.

Old
03-01-2013, 10:49 AM
marioni

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterForsberg View Post
No, this guy is an absolute joke. He sabotaged the season by not offering ROR what he wanted, but then pays him even more... IDIOT. LET HIM GO.
Quoted for truth. He should be fired for this

Closed Thread