HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

BBQ appreciation thread

Old
02-20-2013, 04:04 PM
Kestrel

vCash: 500
Great beach there too. I didn't have any churrasco when I was in the Rio area, I only had it up in Minas Gerais. I'd like to try it in Rio Grande do Sul though - I hear that's where it's the best.

Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 08:12 PM
Long Duk Dong
Sammich King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
Travel Channel eh?

Long Duk Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 08:15 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Duk Dong View Post
Travel Channel eh?
Travel Channel rewls.

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 08:35 PM
speed11

smoked these in my smoker for 3 hrs then finished them on the grill yesterday

speed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 08:37 PM
Long Duk Dong
Sammich King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
Travel Channel rewls.
Actually eating at some of those places rewls.

Old
02-24-2013, 08:51 PM
deekortiz3

Been BBQ'ing a ton lately now that the weather is getting better but even when it rains it's all good.

deekortiz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 08:57 PM
Long Duk Dong
Sammich King

Quote:
Originally Posted by deekortiz3 View Post
Been BBQ'ing a ton lately now that the weather is getting better but even when it rains it's all good.

BGE is sick, I'm jealous. You ever make pizzas on it?

Old
02-24-2013, 09:07 PM
deekortiz3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Duk Dong View Post
BGE is sick, I'm jealous. You ever make pizzas on it?
Thanks! Yes, it is an awesome Pizza oven.

I actually work a 2nd job at a BBQ store that only specializes in the Big Green Egg so I have gotten to try a ton of things on it. We even did a cooking class yesterday so I got to make ribs and pulled pork.

Getting a BGE was definitely my best cooking related decision ever. Since I ended up getting a 2nd job working with them it has been a good financial choice as well lol

deekortiz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:51 PM
Long Duk Dong
Sammich King

Quote:
Originally Posted by deekortiz3 View Post
Thanks! Yes, it is an awesome Pizza oven.

I actually work a 2nd job at a BBQ store that only specializes in the Big Green Egg so I have gotten to try a ton of things on it. We even did a cooking class yesterday so I got to make ribs and pulled pork.

Getting a BGE was definitely my best cooking related decision ever. Since I ended up getting a 2nd job working with them it has been a good financial choice as well lol
Those things are expensive as hell, but it's a buy good once type of thing. It'll last for much longer as opposed to getting a gasser every 2 or 3 with ****** results.

Old
02-25-2013, 04:59 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 319

Flour Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 06:23 PM
ManInTheBox
Women Love Candy

Any one BBQ with honey?

Also, apron pics.

ManInTheBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:52 PM
Sledneck
drive for 5!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dingo View Post
I do competition bbq and this is my team logo

Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 05:31 PM
Schalkenullvier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaide View Post

Better than everything you all posted.
doesn't look very juicy.

Things I need for a nice grilling session:

-a good charcoal grill, none of that gas or electro ****

- 5-15 people

- Decent Bratwurst and pork neck steak

-beer from the barrel

well I guess you need far less to enjoy a barbecue, but if you have this, it's GOAT activity in summahtime.

What I hate is obnoxious sauces. If it fits of course go ahead, but I see way to many people drown perfectly grilled steaks in ketchup.

Schalkenullvier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 05:34 PM
dogbazinho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
Ah, that's the Rodizio style. There are Brazilian BBQ joints where they don't do that, but Rodizio style is definitely my favourite. Rodizio is to Brazil what buffet is to North America. I have yet to do Rodizio de Pizza, but that's next on my list down there.

But, to keep it on BBQ - anyone else out there try chicken hearts? Who's too chicken to try them? Anyone who's done much Brazilian BBQ probably has, or at least has had the opportunity. I believe the other latin countries do them a lot too.
Been to Brazil several times and I've tried chicken hearts. I like em but a bit chewy I guess. The place I tried them at was pretty simple so I'm sure they can be better.

To be honest my favorite food in Brazil was Italian food. Their pizzas specifically are just awesome, I guess the palm hearts and local cheeses just elevate them. I hate to recommend chains but Braz in particular was really good. Of course Brazil has some really good breads and bakery items as well. Oh their steak wrapped in cheese thing is awesome. Some of their fish stews that I shouldn't try and spell as well. You sorta get tired of rice and beans with everything.

Last edited by dogbazinho: 02-28-2013 at 05:44 PM.
dogbazinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 05:35 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

What's the difference between BBQing and grilling?

saskriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 08:23 PM
Sledneck
drive for 5!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
What's the difference between BBQing and grilling?
Bbq is cooking low and slow So the meat can get al the smoke and rub flavors until they are tender. Think ribs, pulled pork, brisket

Grilling is cooking hot and fast over direct heat whether it be charcoal or gas, think burgers, dogs, chicken

Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:01 PM
Kestrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbazinho View Post
Been to Brazil several times and I've tried chicken hearts. I like em but a bit chewy I guess. The place I tried them at was pretty simple so I'm sure they can be better.

To be honest my favorite food in Brazil was Italian food. Their pizzas specifically are just awesome, I guess the palm hearts and local cheeses just elevate them. I hate to recommend chains but Braz in particular was really good. Of course Brazil has some really good breads and bakery items as well. Oh their steak wrapped in cheese thing is awesome. Some of their fish stews that I shouldn't try and spell as well. You sorta get tired of rice and beans with everything.
The chicken hearts will always be somewhat chewy, but the place cooking them can make a huge difference. Not everyone's thing, but I love them.

Pizza, unfortunately, I only had pizza there twice, and one of those 2 times was a Dominos pepperoni pizza. I can't remember what the name of the other pizza was, but it definitely had Brazilian cheese... I think it had carne seca on it, and a number of other things. The Brazilian custom of ketchup on pizza went great with that one - Dominos pepperoni with ketchup is death.

I absolutely loved pao de queijo - but I was living in Minas Gerais, pao de queijo is their specialty. I didn't mind all the rice and beans, I quite enjoyed them, but I could see how a lot of other foreigners would get tired of them.

I'm guessing from what you said, you had moqueca? The area I was in doesn't do a ton of fishy stuff, and I'm a little leery of fishy things - but the moqueca I had was good. I love the fruits there too - so much variety. Even the old tired fruit everyone's used to was much better there... bananas, pineapple, and the like.

Always fun to hear someone else's experience there!

Old
02-28-2013, 10:04 PM
Corey Perry*

Best. Food. Ever.

Corey Perry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:09 PM
dogbazinho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
The chicken hearts will always be somewhat chewy, but the place cooking them can make a huge difference. Not everyone's thing, but I love them.

Pizza, unfortunately, I only had pizza there twice, and one of those 2 times was a Dominos pepperoni pizza. I can't remember what the name of the other pizza was, but it definitely had Brazilian cheese... I think it had carne seca on it, and a number of other things. The Brazilian custom of ketchup on pizza went great with that one - Dominos pepperoni with ketchup is death.

I absolutely loved pao de queijo - but I was living in Minas Gerais, pao de queijo is their specialty. I didn't mind all the rice and beans, I quite enjoyed them, but I could see how a lot of other foreigners would get tired of them.

I'm guessing from what you said, you had moqueca? The area I was in doesn't do a ton of fishy stuff, and I'm a little leery of fishy things - but the moqueca I had was good. I love the fruits there too - so much variety. Even the old tired fruit everyone's used to was much better there... bananas, pineapple, and the like.

Always fun to hear someone else's experience there!
Yeah Moqueca. Had it at Ilha Grande and it was great. My wife is from Minas Gerias so I did enjoy pao de queijo quite a bit. Wish I knew how to make it here but some of the ingredients to do it justice are hard to come by.

http://www.brazpizzaria.com.br/home

is what I'm talking about for pizza. The pastry I was thinking about earlier was Bomba de Chocalate? Great.

dogbazinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:21 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

I want to get an egg now, it looks awesome

saskriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:41 PM
Kestrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbazinho View Post
Yeah Moqueca. Had it at Ilha Grande and it was great. My wife is from Minas Gerias so I did enjoy pao de queijo quite a bit. Wish I knew how to make it here but some of the ingredients to do it justice are hard to come by.

http://www.brazpizzaria.com.br/home

is what I'm talking about for pizza. The pastry I was thinking about earlier was Bomba de Chocalate? Great.
You're married to a mineira? Chances are you married a great looking gal then My mom actually started making pao de queijo after I got her a recipe... aside from the fact that she uses cheddar cheese instead of queijo minas, it's pretty close.

I do make some Brazilian stuff here... but like you said, the ingredients don't do it justice. Cream cheese doesn't compare to Catupiry... cheddar isn't even close to queijo minas... you can get tapioca flour, but it's not quite the same as the local farinha de mandioca... I do pudim de leite, brigadeiros, cachorros quentes, the like. I've started barbecuing Brazilian style too, but that's a little easier to replicate - some rock salt... maybe some herbs if you want. Chicken hearts, you just soak them in soy sauce, and then barbecue them, they're really simple.

Old
03-01-2013, 12:57 AM
Vip
Rieder Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schalkenullvier View Post
doesn't look very juicy.

Things I need for a nice grilling session:

-a good charcoal grill, none of that gas or electro ****

- 5-15 people

- Decent Bratwurst and pork neck steak

-beer from the barrel

well I guess you need far less to enjoy a barbecue, but if you have this, it's GOAT activity in summahtime.

What I hate is obnoxious sauces. If it fits of course go ahead, but I see way to many people drown perfectly grilled steaks in ketchup.
Sounds like my kind of gathering.

Vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:45 AM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2013/04/01/...ths/?hpt=ea_r3

Quote:
Five Barbecue Myths That Should Be Dispelled: Daniel Vaughn

1. Barbecue sauce is mandatory
Wrong! I love barbecue sauce. It's a tight race between it and German mustard as my favorite condiment, but it doesn't need to be a part of every barbecue meal. A well-cooked piece of meat that has been adequately spiced and smoked doesn't need to be covered in a thick barbecue sauce to taste good, but bad barbecue does require sauce to be edible.

Hugh Acheson said it best in his "Vinegar and Barbecue" article that ran in the Southern Foodways Alliance Gravy Newsletter #44, "...saccharine sauces do not complement meat cooked for hours, tended with care and precision over wood coals stoked with love and strength. That's like roasting a perfect chicken and serving it with a melted jelly bean sauce." Save the sauce for dipping your bread.

2. Grilling = BBQ
Nope. If you can cook it for a short time over high heat and it's still edible, chances are it's not barbecue. Tough fatty cuts like brisket, spare ribs and pork shoulder are transformed by a low fire over a long period of time. That's barbecue. If you haven't planned your evening meal by 5 p.m. and can still prepare meat over fire for dinner, then you are eating grilled meats, not barbecue.

3. Fat is evil
Child please! When I read a Yelp review complaining that a barbecue joint's brisket is too fatty, I immediately bump that joint up on my personal to-do list. Fat captures and retains the flavors of smoke and seasoning far better than meat, so please don't trim it off. One of the hardest things to watch is when a fresh brisket is laid on a cutting board in front of me and the carver takes the back of their knife and scrapes off the fat right into the trash - all of that incredible flavor wasted.

Well-smoked fat is one of the joys of eating brisket, and its doneness is the best indicator of a well smoked brisket. If the fat's good, then the meat probably will be too.

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:50 AM
Primrose Everdeen
Poison and Wine

vCash: 564
Vip, I reckon one of the things you miss about Arizona's hot climate is being able to barbeque just about any time of the year.

Primrose Everdeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:37 PM
Vip
Rieder Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rundblad View Post
Vip, I reckon one of the things you miss about Arizona's hot climate is being able to barbeque just about any time of the year.
I really do miss that.. It's just starting to warm up here. Actually went and got some more propane the other day because it's warming up. Im pretty excited.

Vip is offline   Reply With Quote