HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All-Purpose Carey Price Thread

Old
03-01-2013, 02:19 AM
MoobMoob
EntertainingasanSTD

vCash: 500

Honest question, not meant to question Price's ability at all. He doesn't seem to either cost or win games for us IMO. The consistency is nice, but shouldn't an arguably top 5 goalie in the league steal a game or two a season?

Last edited by Bad Natey: 03-05-2013 at 09:00 PM.
MoobMoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 02:25 AM
habtastic

Remember when people faulted him for never making the necessary save at the right time? Well he does that every game. He's the definition of solid and dependable. Often, when it's not highlight (and in Carey's case, his positioning and size often obviate the need for him to make one), people forget about it. I can point out saves in almost every game when we won where it turned out being a huge difference maker. Take grabovski's penalty shot. He gave him NOTHING. I know he hasn't been facing a lot of shots, but he's been seeing through traffic and no rebounds.

I know what you meant, in that you weren't bashing him, but I like this version of Carey's play the best. He's still our best player most nights. And when the time comes for him to have to make great saves, he'll make them. I remember him making a lot of great pad saves so far this season. Really stretching out to shut the door.

He might have to save us this weekend.

Last edited by Bad Natey: 03-05-2013 at 08:59 PM.
habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 02:27 AM
BeBen*

Why would you want the goalie to steal games if he doesn't have to?

BeBen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 02:29 AM
keepcalmandbeninja

Team sport, Team win.

keepcalmandbeninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 02:37 AM
Aceekay

The guy has three regulation losses is that not good enough for you?

And btw what's your definition of stealing a game? because to steal a game your team has to use your goalie as a crutch and so far this season we haven't needed to do that.

Aceekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 02:39 AM
MoobMoob
EntertainingasanSTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeBen View Post
Why would you want the goalie to steal games if he doesn't have to?
Every team is bound to have a bad game, same with every goaltender. I expect the team to be able to bail their goalie out of a bad game and expect the goalie to be able to bail the skaters out of a bad game as well. I don't really see it as necessarily a knock on Price, but I remember Halak stealing some games, I remember Theodore stealing some games, and I remember Roy stealing some games. I don't remember seeing a game with Price in net and thinking "Wow, without Price that game would have definitely been a loss."

I definitely prefer the steadiness of Price to almost any other goalie in the league(save Rinne or maybe Lundqvist) but it would be nice to be able to point to a single game and say "Price won that."

Old
03-01-2013, 02:41 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

oh ****, here we go!

MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 02:44 AM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceekay View Post

And btw what's your definition of stealing a game? because to steal a game your team has to use your goalie as a crutch and so far this season we haven't needed to do that.
And the team in front of him scored a big total of 2 goals in those 3 regulation losses.

And this is not a shot to his teammates either. I think its good that we don't need Price to make miracles to win anymore. He will be rested when the playoffs come.

Rosso Scuderia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 02:45 AM
MoobMoob
EntertainingasanSTD

Quote:

It's plenty good, I wouldn't take a single goalie above him. This thread is mostly a curiosity to see if someone can produce a game or two in the last 3 seasons that the team didn't deserve to win that was clearly won on the back of Price.

Old
03-01-2013, 02:50 AM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoobMoob View Post
Every team is bound to have a bad game, same with every goaltender. I expect the team to be able to bail their goalie out of a bad game and expect the goalie to be able to bail the skaters out of a bad game as well. I don't really see it as necessarily a knock on Price, but I remember Halak stealing some games, I remember Theodore stealing some games, and I remember Roy stealing some games. I don't remember seeing a game with Price in net and thinking "Wow, without Price that game would have definitely been a loss."

I definitely prefer the steadiness of Price to almost any other goalie in the league(save Rinne or maybe Lundqvist) but it would be nice to be able to point to a single game and say "Price won that."
Why is it so important that Price has to steal a game for us? As long as he is leading the league in "win', we are doing well.. and he's up there. You know, he can't win them all. I know you're not trying to knock on him but so far this season, he didn't need too.

Rosso Scuderia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 02:54 AM
Aceekay

Quote:
It's plenty good, I wouldn't take a single goalie above him. This thread is mostly a curiosity to see if someone can produce a game or two in the last 3 seasons that the team didn't deserve to win that was clearly won on the back of Price.
Tampa bay when we went to the shoot out, Ottawa when we beat them 2-1 are good examples. If you're looking for games where price was stopping 40+ shots and standing on his head go back to the 2010-11 season when they played in a system that revolved around price. Last year they had no system, this year they have played somewhat consistently defensively and haven't let any team dominate them, other than the leafs game.

Aceekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 03:03 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:

I hope you mean "this season", because otherwise check a doctor for memory loss.

Price has, in the past, stolen games for us repeatedly. He just hasn't this season, although I'd make the case he was rock solid at key games.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 03:10 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Pretty much every game we won last season would be a pretty good sample.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 03:20 AM
MoobMoob
EntertainingasanSTD

Quote:
Tampa bay when we went to the shoot out, Ottawa when we beat them 2-1 are good examples. If you're looking for games where price was stopping 40+ shots and standing on his head go back to the 2010-11 season when they played in a system that revolved around price. Last year they had no system, this year they have played somewhat consistently defensively and haven't let any team dominate them, other than the leafs game.
Considering there was a major melt down in the defensive zone against TB and Price was fairly average in that game, not a good example. The Ottawa game is a good example, but Price lost that goaltending battle against Craig Anderson and the team wasn't bad either. Shot totals aren't all that important, since usually in the 40+ shot games the majority of those shots are low percentage chances. The 2010-11 season definitely relied more on Price than we've had to this season but even then I don't remember the team game failing and Price saving the day. I remember our bottom 6 playing really well defensively, and our D not giving quality chances in the games we won, with Price being solid. The games we lost, Price remained solid but our defensive play was suspect.

Old
03-01-2013, 03:33 AM
99GoHabsGo99
MontrealCanadiens200

Who cares about "stole the game for us" , he is solid night after night, and i would take that over a goalie who once in a while would steal a game..

Stupid post anyway.. can't believe how many habs fans still bash price... I don't want this to happen as it would screw us and he is my favorite player,,, but god it would be funny to see price leave and let all these idiots who bash him see what a normal goalie is like...

99GoHabsGo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 03:34 AM
MoobMoob
EntertainingasanSTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Pretty much every game we won last season would be a pretty good sample.
I agree with you on principle. Last season Price kept the team competitive in a lot of games they should have lost. The team last season didn't win any they clearly deserved to lose from my vantage point, though.

Again, this isn't meant to be a slight against Price. He's kept the team competitive more often than not. I simply can't point to a single game where Price rose above and not only kept the team competitive but compensated for mistakes and took them over the top.

Honestly, if that's the biggest complaint against Price that can be raised isn't it better to have fans raise the question than detractors?

Old
03-01-2013, 03:37 AM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 50
Quote:

If you are serious with that statement than this must be your first season following the Habs. Welcome. I think you'll like it here.

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 03:41 AM
billy piton

Quote:
Honest question, not meant to question Price's ability at all. He doesn't seem to either cost or win games for us IMO. The consistency is nice, but shouldn't an arguably top 5 goalie in the league steal a game or two a season?
last year we were so bad that even carey couldn't help us.

this year we are so good and carey doesn't even have to steal games for us.

billy piton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 03:42 AM
MoobMoob
EntertainingasanSTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99GoHabsGo99 View Post
Who cares about "stole the game for us" , he is solid night after night, and i would take that over a goalie who once in a while would steal a game..

Stupid post anyway.. can't believe how many habs fans still bash price... I don't want this to happen as it would screw us and he is my favorite player,,, but god it would be funny to see price leave and let all these idiots who bash him see what a normal goalie is like...
He is solid, and this isn't "bashing" Price. Though look at the games Budaj has started for this team this season. 1 shut out(CAR), 1 game with 1 goal against(PHI), a game where Budaj cost us the regulation win(Buf) and 1 game where the team sucked and Budaj sucked(OTT).

As I've said before, I wouldn't take any goalie above Price. Rinne is close, and Lundqvist would be a possibility but Price is probably the best in the league. I was just hoping someone could point out one specific game where Price took it away. Was this really too much to ask?

Old
03-01-2013, 03:49 AM
Carey Commit
Where's the Doritos?

Send a message via ICQ to Carey Commit
Price hasn't had to steal any games this year but at his best people never feel like he's stealing games because he makes it look so easy and effortless. I guess people want to see him diving all over the place?

Carey Commit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 03:51 AM
PricePkPatch

We are due for underperformance. We'll see how Price reacts then.

Wouldn't be a bad thing, tho
I wanna know if Price is on his AAA game this year, in time for the playoffs.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 03:56 AM
Hugo Sham

1.90 3 .924 0
cmon man bit of stealing going on every game

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 03:57 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
No.

The more consistent Carey Price is, the fewer shutouts and 5 goal blowouts he is going to have. They are two sides of the same coin that Price does not flip.

Some goalies allow 1-6-3-0-5 goals over 5 games, but Price is more likely to allow 3-4-2-2-4 over that same span.

You can have consistency or stolen games, but not both.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 04:09 AM
MoobMoob
EntertainingasanSTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
No.

The more consistent Carey Price is, the fewer shutouts and 5 goal blowouts he is going to have. They are two sides of the same coin that Price does not flip.

Some goalies allow 1-6-3-0-5 goals over 5 games, but Price is more likely to allow 3-4-2-2-4 over that same span.

You can have consistency or stolen games, but not both.
Seems about right to me. I'm happy with the consistency. Though I don't think they're necessarily two sides to the same coin. I'm happy with his play. Just think in order to prove himself as the undisputed #1 tender in the league he should dominate a game or two, rather than simply keeping his team from losing.

Old
03-01-2013, 04:12 AM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

To consider that a goalie has stolen a game, the team in front of him needs to play really bad. But currently, the Habs are playing great in every game, and are winning most of them. So "stealing" a game is just impossible. Even if Price was blanking every opponent and had a GAA of 0,00, it would still be impossible for him to steal a game.

The need to "steal a game" is a sign of mediocrity from the team. We are so used in Montreal to have an average team with a good goaltender that it seems impossible to us to have a good team without a goalie that steals a game once in a while. Good teams don't need their goalie to steal a game. Get used to it!

Fact is that you can reach the Stanley Cup final with Michael Leighton between the pipes if your team is built in a manner that its success doesn't depend solely on the goalie's performance. But if your team is built this way, and your goaler is Carey Price, then you are in business.

Last edited by DDs not undersized: 03-01-2013 at 04:20 AM.
DDs not undersized is offline   Reply With Quote