HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated"
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated" Rated PG13, unmoderated but threads must stay on topic - that means you can flame each other all you want as long as it's legal

American student allegedly punished for not reciting Mexican pledge

Old
02-27-2013, 10:09 PM
Tubby Tuke
Drafting my Overalls

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Or the student did not put the work into the assignment and was marked accordingly.

Seems a much more likely explanation to me. YMMV.
Yeah reciting the pledge of a country on the verge of failing or write a complex essay when the person is probably taking her 1st or 2nd Spanish class.

Idiot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilkka Sinisalo View Post
They shouldn't be doing the pledge of allegiance to America anyway, considering how many of their students are probably of Mexican descent. Anyway, I don't know that reading the Mexican pledge of allegiance is actually pledging allegiance to Mexico, or if it's just a learning exercise. If you stand for O Canada and sing that you'll stand on guard for thee, does that mean that you'll actually go to war for Canada? I remember learning the words of La Marseillaise and maybe even singing it in French class; that didn't mean I was renouncing my American citizenship and declaring my undying love for France.
What? You're an idiot.

Tubby Tuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:37 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by kov View Post
I can't really condemn it or dismiss it unless I understand the circumstances for it. Do they have to do it every class, or was it a one-off? Was it presented as "you will TAKE this oath" or was it "we're here to learn Spanish language and Spanish-American culture, so here's a bit of it"? Same with the failing grade; I could concoct imaginary contexts where it would be sensible but I don't know anything about the actual context.
This is why I am waiting to pass judgment and have made all posts in accordance. Everything is just an allegation right now.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:55 PM
Ilkka Sinisalo
Amazing American

Quote:
Originally Posted by peon View Post
Yeah reciting the pledge of a country on the verge of failing or write a complex essay when the person is probably taking her 1st or 2nd Spanish class.

Idiot.
It's 10th grade. I started taking French classes in 7th grade. The person in question is of Mexican descent, and is fluent in Spanish.

Idiot.

Ilkka Sinisalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:59 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
It's 10th grade. I started taking French classes in 7th grade. The person in question is of Mexican descent, and is fluent in Spanish.

Idiot.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:19 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by peon View Post

Idiot.

What? You're an idiot.
The only idiot in this thread is you.

Quote:

Idiot.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 12:13 AM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
The whole point is they can do any other number of exercises. I don't have a problem with them singing the anthem, for example. The whole pledging allegiance thing to me just seems ridiculous and poorly thought out by the teacher.

There is something about a pledge that I and most others would hold to a higher standard than a mere song.

By the way, the girl herself is of Mexican descent. First generation American, actually.
As a Canadian this pledge thing seems like a completely foreign concept. I mean I love my country, but I don't love my country.

RandV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 01:02 AM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
As a Canadian this pledge thing seems like a completely foreign concept. I mean I love my country, but I don't love my country.
I'd make sweet love to Lady Liberty if she wanted me to!!!

Concordski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 02:51 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
Canadians have our own version of the pledge - I am Canadian:

There are even personalized versions of the pledge:

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 03:13 AM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
I said the pledge some thousands of times growing up...I'm pretty sure I didn't really mean any of it. It was a rote exercise. What a joke of a lawsuit this is.

I pledge alligenece...to Queen Fragg...and her mighty State of Hysteria.

jflory81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 06:42 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
There isn't enough information to get all up in arms over this. Was it retaliation by the teacher? Maybe, but hard to prove.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote