HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics here) XXXII

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-28-2013, 11:05 PM
  #851
Zandar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 384
vCash: 500
Just can't see the Avs trading ROB. He's been the perfect example of a team player and goes about his business quietly. Sure he's had some major goofs this year and is a UFA but you would think they would prefer to keep him around for the 6th/7th D role especially if they are in the thick of things. Think trading ROB may effect the lockerroom more than we realize. Now Hunwick, Zanon and maybe SOB are another thing.

Zandar is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 11:12 PM
  #852
PAZ
.
 
PAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,329
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandar View Post
Just can't see the Avs trading ROB. He's been the perfect example of a team player and goes about his business quietly. Sure he's had some major goofs this year and is a UFA but you would think they would prefer to keep him around for the 6th/7th D role especially if they are in the thick of things. Think trading ROB may effect the lockerroom more than we realize. Now Hunwick, Zanon and maybe SOB are another thing.
Keep SOB, trade Hunwick, Zanon, ROB.

I don't care what ROB brings to the locker room. It's not worth his on ice performance. Maybe if we had actualy top 4 defenseman and he was playing 10 minutes a night, but hes not.

PAZ is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 11:16 PM
  #853
Av-merican
@Av_merican
 
Av-merican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Frozen Wasteland
Country: Scotland
Posts: 10,723
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandar View Post
Just can't see the Avs trading ROB. He's been the perfect example of a team player and goes about his business quietly. Sure he's had some major goofs this year and is a UFA but you would think they would prefer to keep him around for the 6th/7th D role especially if they are in the thick of things. Think trading ROB may effect the lockerroom more than we realize. Now Hunwick, Zanon and maybe SOB are another thing.
O'Byrne contract-wise would be the easiest to move. He's UFA after this. Any other guys are bigger investments. Invariably the return on an O'Byrne rental when he's currently playing his worst hockey for the Avs (not to mention the image of his swollen knee on Twitter) won't be much.

Av-merican is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 11:32 PM
  #854
skip2mybordeleau
Sign O'Reilly
 
skip2mybordeleau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,786
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
Keep SOB, trade Hunwick, Zanon, ROB.

I don't care what ROB brings to the locker room. It's not worth his on ice performance. Maybe if we had actualy top 4 defenseman and he was playing 10 minutes a night, but hes not.
i concur however in terms of who i want gone the most

1.zanon
2.hunwick
3.ROB

skip2mybordeleau is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 11:40 PM
  #855
Av-merican
@Av_merican
 
Av-merican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Frozen Wasteland
Country: Scotland
Posts: 10,723
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connolly2Duchene View Post
i concur however in terms of who i want gone the most

1.zanon
2.hunwick
3.ROB
I'd replace ROB with SOB on that list. I mean...if he's clearly in the doghouse, just get rid of him. His deal is movable.

Hunwick is #1 on my list because...well, I don't have a practical reason, I'm just sick of the guy and Sacco's love affair with him. I realize that's not a good reason, just me being arbitrary.

Av-merican is offline  
Old
03-01-2013, 04:13 AM
  #856
Pistache
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 100
vCash: 500
Stastny + ROB + 2nd pick 2013
for
Mark Stall + Kreider

Pist

Pistache is offline  
Old
03-01-2013, 05:20 AM
  #857
CobraAcesS
Registered User
 
CobraAcesS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 4,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistache View Post
Stastny + ROB + 2nd pick 2013
for
Mark Stall + Kreider

Pist
ROTFL

On another note... I don't care what anyone says, Zannon needs to go for anything anyone is willing to give up. ROB, I don't even know what to say about him, wtf? He was so solid last year for what he was. Now hes just horrible, get rid of him. Who plays like **** in a contract year?

And I personally don't think SOB has been bad, hes been what he is... He came in a little off conditioning wise but I love how he drags the puck out of the D zone like a dump truck dragging a boulder, slow as **** but impossible to stop, hey whatever works... At least hes entertaining and effective at what he does when kept to his role. When he drags it all the way into the O-zone, that could actually be used by the team if we had a coach worth a damn. All he needs to do is dump it into the corner (For a fore-checking forward) or move it off to someone open once he crosses the line. It's called coaching, but everyone still seems so surprised when he does it nothing happens, even when he does dump it into the corner. I mean it's not like he just turns it over normally, or if he does it's usually in the O-zone by that time.

O'Brien is +3 with 19 hits 1A 16:15 AVG TOI and 10 BLKs in 8 games... Hes effective for what he is.


Last edited by CobraAcesS: 03-01-2013 at 05:33 AM.
CobraAcesS is offline  
Old
03-01-2013, 05:38 AM
  #858
El_Loco_Avs
Registered User
 
El_Loco_Avs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: The Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 7,865
vCash: 500
Ideally I want SOBROB as a bottom pairing next season. Maybe one as a 7th D.

El_Loco_Avs is offline  
Old
03-01-2013, 06:28 AM
  #859
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Nihiliste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,389
vCash: 542
So with ROR returning to the team, how can we improve our D corps going forward?

Free agent targets?
Sherman-esque buy low trade targets?
Draft?

Nihiliste is offline  
Old
03-01-2013, 07:02 AM
  #860
TheStranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
So with ROR returning to the team, how can we improve our D corps going forward?

Free agent targets?
Sherman-esque buy low trade targets?
Draft?
Here's all free agent d-men this off-season
Quote:
Fistric, Mark D EDM 26
Barker, Cam D VAN 26
DeSantis, Jason D MTL 26
Mullen, Patrick D VAN 26
Vernace, Mike D NYR 26
Smid, Ladislav D EDM 27
Clitsome, Grant D WIN 27
Hillen, Jack D WAS 27
Kostka, Mike D TOR 27
Carson, Brett D CGY 27
St-Denis, FredericD MTL 27
White, Ian D DET 28
Babchuk, Anton D CGY 28
Pardy, Adam D BUF 28
Lundin, Mike D OTT 28
McIver, Nathan D NYI 28
Sulzer, Alexander D BUF 28
Meech, Derek D WIN 28
Smaby, Matt D ANA 28
Gilroy, Matt D NYR 28
Drewiske, Davis D LAK 28
Reese, Dylan D PIT 28
Strachan, Tyson D FLA 28
Sullivan, Sean D COL 28
Moore, Mike D NAS 28
Piskula, Joe D NAS 28
Landry, Jon D NYI 29
Eminger, Steve D NYR 29
Woywitka, Jeff D STL 29
Benoit, Andre D OTT 29
Johnson, Aaron D BOS 29
Fortunus, Maxime D DAL 29
Bagnall, Drew D MIN 29
Collins, Sean D NYR 29
Hendry, Jordan D ANA 29
Lovejoy, Ben D ANA 29
Harrold, Peter D NJD 29
Whitney, Ryan D EDM 30
Guenin, Nate D ANA 30
Hainsey, Ron D WIN 31
Alberts, Andrew D VAN 31
Foster, Kurtis D PHI 31
Yonkman, Nolan D FLA 31
Exelby, Garnet D BOS 31
Sloan, Tyler D DAL 31
Pock, Thomas D COL 31
Groulx, Danny D SJS 31
Regehr, Robyn D BUF 32
Leopold, Jordan D BUF 32
Murray, Douglas D SJS 32
Walker, Matt D PHI 32
Bergeron, Marc-Andre D TBL 32
Ference, Andrew D BOS 33
Huskins, Kent D DET 33
Vandermeer, Jim D VAN 33
Ford, Scott D NAS 33
Stafford, Garrett D WAS 33
Leach, Jay D NJD 33
Scuderi, Rob D LAK 34
Rozsival, Michal D CHI 34
Hannan, Scott D NAS 34
Mottau, Mike D TOR 34
Streit, Mark D NYI 35
Lydman, Toni D ANA 35
Poti, Tom D WAS 35
Corvo, Joe D CAR 35
Redden, Wade D STL 35
Eaton, Mark D PIT 35
Visnovsky, Lubomir D NYI 36
Zidlicky, Marek D NJD 36
Martinek, Radek D NYI 36
Sutton, Andy D EDM 37
Bouillon, Francis D MTL 37
Lilja, Andreas D PHI 37
Gonchar, Sergei D OTT 38
Hamrlik, Roman D WAS 38
Aucoin, Adrian D CLB 39
I don't see too many exciting options in there.

Maybe Smid?

TheStranger is offline  
Old
03-01-2013, 07:09 AM
  #861
UncleRisto
Registered Loser
 
UncleRisto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,721
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
I don't see too many exciting options in there.

Maybe Smid?
Streit would be alright as well.

UncleRisto is online now  
Old
03-01-2013, 07:10 AM
  #862
Colorado Avalanche
Registered User
 
Colorado Avalanche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Lieto
Country: Finland
Posts: 15,340
vCash: 500
Pretty horrible list yes. Whitney Ryan, is he still capable of doing soemthing? Smid/Whitney..

Colorado Avalanche is offline  
Old
03-01-2013, 07:11 AM
  #863
Colorado Avalanche
Registered User
 
Colorado Avalanche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Lieto
Country: Finland
Posts: 15,340
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRisto View Post
Streit would be alright as well.
hmmp.. Yeah he's good, but he's going to want 4 year contract and at the age of 35.. It's gonna be risky.

Colorado Avalanche is offline  
Old
03-01-2013, 08:33 AM
  #864
CobraAcesS
Registered User
 
CobraAcesS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 4,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
hmmp.. Yeah he's good, but he's going to want 4 year contract and at the age of 35.. It's gonna be risky.
Yeah but I'd be fine with him as long as his contract wasn't ridiculous. 4M AAV? Hes been a 70+ game player for the last 6 years running and hes only been in the league for 6 1/2 years. He does not have 10-15 years of NHL wear on him.

Parenteau can be our emissary on that one, and EJ might do well to have a veteran next to him. Honestly at this point I'd rather keep all three of our centers and sign someone like Streit, then let Siemens work his way up to our top pairing over the next two years.

CobraAcesS is offline  
Old
03-01-2013, 08:35 AM
  #865
RobinDIF
Reunite ROR & Landy!
 
RobinDIF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 4,260
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
Yeah but I'd be fine with him as long as his contract wasn't ridiculous. 4M AAV? Hes been a 70+ game player for the last 6 years running and hes only been in the league for 6 1/2 years. He does not have 10-15 years of NHL wear on him.

Parenteau can be our emissary on that one, and EJ might do well to have a veteran next to him. Honestly at this point I'd rather keep all three of our centers and sign someone like Streit, then let Siemens work his way up to our top pairing over the next two years.
Except for the season when he played 0 games. Due to injury.

RobinDIF is online now  
Old
03-01-2013, 08:43 AM
  #866
CobraAcesS
Registered User
 
CobraAcesS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 4,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
Except for the season when he played 0 games. Due to injury.
Yeah I missed that one, it's 6:30AM here, but other than that hes been healthy and productive along with producing the year directly after. Honestly I'd be fine with Streit, Visnovsky, Hainsey, or Smid. (Would love to see Smid & Streit signed, with ROB, Zannon, and Hunwick gone.)


Streit - EJ

Smid - Barrie

Hejda - Wilson/SOB

Siemesn & Elliott getting time as our top pair in LE.


Last edited by CobraAcesS: 03-01-2013 at 08:49 AM.
CobraAcesS is offline  
Old
03-01-2013, 08:45 AM
  #867
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1
 
Pierce Hawthorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Caverns of Draconis
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,437
vCash: 500
Streit/Visnovsky/Smid/White are all interesting pieces to go after IMO. All decent Top 4 pickups.

I also think if we finish anywhere close to Bottom 3 this season(unlikely now) we have to draft Jones at this point. And if we finish in the 8-14 range, Nurse and Ristolainen are the guys we should target.

Or, we can trade Stastny for the Defensive help and draft a forward.

I am still behind Sekera+ for Stastny if he have to move him.

Pierce Hawthorne is offline  
Old
03-01-2013, 08:50 AM
  #868
SoundwaveIsCharisma
Moderator
 
SoundwaveIsCharisma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Screw You Blaster
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,934
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
I would target Smid first, and Streit second. I think a Smid/EJ pairing would be absolutely dominant defensively, and I think playing with someone competent would allow EJ to actually rush more often.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline  
Old
03-01-2013, 08:53 AM
  #869
RobinDIF
Reunite ROR & Landy!
 
RobinDIF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 4,260
vCash: 500
Man, what a dream to sign two Top 4 defenseman on the free agent market. Or maybe just one and trade Stastny for the other one. It would help this team sooo much.

RobinDIF is online now  
Old
03-01-2013, 09:01 AM
  #870
kento19
@kento19
 
kento19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: St. John's
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,207
vCash: 50
We have so many centres and awful D. I really think we will see a lot of trades between now and October. I really wish we could package a few guys to get some good proven but still young NHL'ers. Some examples

Ship Stastny for Phaneuf

Ship Jones+elliott+hunwick for Purcell

Ship ROB+ Olver for Colin Greening


Landeskog Duchene Parenteau
Mcginn O'Reilly Purcell
Greening Sgarbossa Downie
Mcleod Mitchell Kobasew

Phaneuf Johnson
Wilson Barrie
Siemens Hejda

Varly


That's a very solid roster for 2013-2014.
Obviously this wont happen, but these are just the types of moves id like to see. Nobody wants to see Elliott go anywhere but sometimes you have to move key young guys to make your team better. You cant forever wait on the future. I also see the possibility of Sgarbo moving somewhere.

kento19 is online now  
Old
03-01-2013, 09:04 AM
  #871
CobraAcesS
Registered User
 
CobraAcesS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 4,043
vCash: 500
How about this based on my last post, (2013-2014 Obviously)

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Jamie McGinn ($1.750m) / Matt Duchene ($3.500m) / P-A Parenteau ($4.000m)
Gabriel Landeskog ($3.575m) / Paul Stastny ($6.600m) / Nathan Horton ($5.000m)
Steve Downie ($2.650m) / Ryan O'Reilly ($5.000m) / David Jones ($4.000m)
Cody McLeod ($1.150m) / John Mitchell ($1.100m) / Chuck Kobasew ($1.150m)
Mark Olver ($0.600m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Mark Streit ($4.100m) / Erik Johnson ($3.750m)
Ladislav Smid ($3.500m) / Tyson Barrie ($0.900m)
Jan Hejda ($3.250m) / Ryan Wilson ($2.250m)
Matt Hunwick ($1.600m) /
GOALTENDERS
Semyon Varlamov ($2.833m)
Jean-Sebastien Giguere ($1.500m)
OTHER
Buyout: Greg Zanon ($0.000m)

------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,068,313; BONUSES: $2,710,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $5,941,667
------
CALCULATOR LOG
* Stefan Elliott demoted.
* Traded Shane O'Brien
* Traded Ryan O'Byrne
* Greg Zanon bought out. (Compliance)
* Nathan Horton signed as free agent for $5,000,000.
* Ladislav Smid signed as free agent for $3,500,000.
* Mark Streit signed as free agent for $4,100,000.
* Chuck Kobasew signed as free agent for $1,150,000.

Siemens & Elliott in the AHL developing together. They both work as call ups for different types of defenders if injuries hit as well. Jones can be traded in a couple years and hopefully replaced by a rookie, so we can give raises where they are do. Hejda will also be gone 'within' a couple of years and replaced by Siemens.

Draft the best possible LH offensive defender we can at our draft position and hope hes ready to replace Streit in 3-4 years.

CobraAcesS is offline  
Old
03-01-2013, 09:05 AM
  #872
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1
 
Pierce Hawthorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Caverns of Draconis
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
Man, what a dream to sign two Top 4 defenseman on the free agent market. Or maybe just one and trade Stastny for the other one. It would help this team sooo much.
I don't think we need two. Hejda and Barrie are starting to look very much like a Top 4 pairing, then EJ makes up half of another. We need 1 more Top 4 Dman to play with EJ(That guy could actually be Wilson for now).

And we would probably only need that Dman for a couple of years. Siemens and Elliott could both very well be top 4 guys in a couple years too. And our 1st in this draft is yet to be seen.

One of Smid/Streit is all we need IMO.

XXX - EJ
Hejda - Barrie
Obrien - Hunwick

That's a decent Defense with guys playing where they should.

Pierce Hawthorne is offline  
Old
03-01-2013, 09:10 AM
  #873
RockLobster
Moderator
Beatles Guru
 
RockLobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kansas
Country: Germany
Posts: 11,619
vCash: 905
I don't think we're going to be signing Horton for 5m...if that were why wouldn't Boston just sign him for that?

I actually think that Siemens is going to come in in the offseason and impress the team. I think he'll make the team out of camp, and we could be looking at

Partner/Wilson-EJ
Hejda-Barrie
ROB/SOB/Zanon-Siemens

At this point, I'd prefer SOB in that bottom pairing slot, he's flat out played better than ROB and Zanon.

And if we GET that Partner for EJ, whether through trade or FA then we could be rolling

Partner-EJ
Hejda-Barrie
Wilson-Siemens

Not that I think Wilson deserves to be on the bottom pairing, but at this point I find it hard to want to break up the Hejda-Barrie pairing, they seem to have something nice working right now.

__________________


Thought I'd been in love before, but in my heart I wanted more. Seems like all I really was doing was waiting for you - John Lennon/The Beatles
RockLobster is online now  
Old
03-01-2013, 09:12 AM
  #874
CobraAcesS
Registered User
 
CobraAcesS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 4,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
I don't think we need two. Hejda and Barrie are starting to look very much like a Top 4 pairing, then EJ makes up half of another. We need 1 more Top 4 Dman to play with EJ(That guy could actually be Wilson for now).

And we would probably only need that Dman for a couple of years. Siemens and Elliott could both very well be top 4 guys in a couple years too. And our 1st in this draft is yet to be seen.

One of Smid/Streit is all we need IMO.

XXX - EJ
Hejda - Barrie
Obrien - Hunwick

That's a decent Defense with guys playing where they should.
I think we need to have three solid pairings that can play 18-20 minutes a night. I just don't see us completing a top pairing that can play 25 minutes a night within the next two years. We need a better all around defense like NJ. I'm also not sold on EJ turning into a 40 point defender for sure either, I'm willing to accept him as a 30 point guy with top pairing defensive ability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
I don't think we're going to be signing Horton for 5m...if that were why wouldn't Boston just sign him for that?

I actually think that Siemens is going to come in in the offseason and impress the team. I think he'll make the team out of camp, and we could be looking at

Partner/Wilson-EJ
Hejda-Barrie
ROB/SOB/Zanon-Siemens

At this point, I'd prefer SOB in that bottom pairing slot, he's flat out played better than ROB and Zanon.

And if we GET that Partner for EJ, whether through trade or FA then we could be rolling

Partner-EJ
Hejda-Barrie
Wilson-Siemens

Not that I think Wilson deserves to be on the bottom pairing, but at this point I find it hard to want to break up the Hejda-Barrie pairing, they seem to have something nice working right now.
Honestly even at 5M they are going to have a hard time keeping him, I've seen Boston fans break it down before. None of them expect to keep him beyond this season. Most of them think he will want between 5-5.5M from what I have seen as well.

The thing is, EJ's partner isn't going to be some young stud offensive defender. Streit & Smid gives us some options...

Smid - EJ

Streit - Wilson

Hejda - Barrie

If EJ does not produce offensively with Smid?

Streit - EJ

Smid - Barrie

Hejda - Wilson

O'Brien & Hunwick are interchangeable as our 7th D... 2M vs 1.6M


Last edited by CobraAcesS: 03-01-2013 at 09:20 AM.
CobraAcesS is offline  
Old
03-01-2013, 09:18 AM
  #875
henchman24
#ImagineAvs
 
henchman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,256
vCash: 500
Now that ROR is back in the fold, the easy solution to the defense is to trade Stastny for a top 4 + prospect pick. Keeps us from overpaying a UFA for that spot and it keeps our top 6 centers with top 6 wingers. With the contract that ROR has, he now has to produce and the Avs have to give him the chance to do it.

henchman24 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.