HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All-Purpose Carey Price Thread

Old
03-01-2013, 04:24 AM
habsfanatics

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoobMoob View Post
He is solid, and this isn't "bashing" Price. Though look at the games Budaj has started for this team this season. 1 shut out(CAR), 1 game with 1 goal against(PHI), a game where Budaj cost us the regulation win(Buf) and 1 game where the team sucked and Budaj sucked(OTT).

As I've said before, I wouldn't take any goalie above Price. Rinne is close, and Lundqvist would be a possibility but Price is probably the best in the league. I was just hoping someone could point out one specific game where Price took it away. Was this really too much to ask?
Not sure why everyone is attacking you or your post, but I hold the same thoughts. For a top 5 goalie, I've yet to see him steal a game, this season or last. However, Price's positioning and rebound control for the most part are exceptional, which makes it difficult to judge whether or not another goalie would have had the same outcome. I think Price's ease of handling uncontested shots with his outstanding rebound control might actually work against him in this regard. It makes the eye test extremely difficult to conclude anything imo.

Price has been outstanding and he is one of the most important factors to our successful season. I don't agree with the media talking heads where they suggest this team is a bunch of scrubs who rely solely on Price.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 04:28 AM
Aceekay

Quote:
Considering there was a major melt down in the defensive zone against TB and Price was fairly average in that game, not a good example. The Ottawa game is a good example, but Price lost that goaltending battle against Craig Anderson and the team wasn't bad either. Shot totals aren't all that important, since usually in the 40+ shot games the majority of those shots are low percentage chances. The 2010-11 season definitely relied more on Price than we've had to this season but even then I don't remember the team game failing and Price saving the day. I remember our bottom 6 playing really well defensively, and our D not giving quality chances in the games we won, with Price being solid. The games we lost, Price remained solid but our defensive play was suspect.
Actually the Tampa bay game is a good example, the team collapsed around him and he got scored on twice with fluke goals. But he kept his composure and didn't get scored on in the shootout, he bought us that game and that's pretty clear.

What the hell? Price stole so many games in 2010-11 season, he was the reason we were in the playoffs that year, you can't be serious by saying the team game never failed and price was left to save day. The team was Carey price.

Aceekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 04:38 AM
MoobMoob
EntertainingasanSTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
To consider that a goalie has stolen a game, the team in front of him needs to play really bad. But currently, the Habs are playing great in every game, and are winning most of them. So "stealing" a game is just impossible. Even if Price was blanking every opponent and had a GAA of 0,00, it would still be impossible for him to steal a game.

The need to "steal a game" is a sign of mediocrity from the team. We are so used in Montreal to have an average team with a good goaltender that it seems impossible to us to have a good team without a goalie that steals a game once in a while. Good teams don't need their goalie to steal a game. Get used to it!

Fact is that you can reach the Stanley Cup final with Michael Leighton between the pipes if your team is built in a manner that its success doesn't depend solely on the goalie's performance. But if your team is built this way, and your goaler is Carey Price, then you are in business.

Are you really saying Leighton V. Niemi is a typical SC matchup? Neither team had good goal tending that year. Try again.

MoobMoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 05:54 AM
MoobMoob
EntertainingasanSTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceekay View Post
Actually the Tampa bay game is a good example, the team collapsed around him and he got scored on twice with fluke goals. But he kept his composure and didn't get scored on in the shootout, he bought us that game and that's pretty clear.

What the hell? Price stole so many games in 2010-11 season, he was the reason we were in the playoffs that year, you can't be serious by saying the team game never failed and price was left to save day. The team was Carey price.
That's not how I remember it. I remember Price keeping things competitive and the PP edging wins. The PP that got James Wisniewski his 5.5M contract. The PP that was at the top of the east.

MoobMoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 05:58 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
It's plenty good, I wouldn't take a single goalie above him. This thread is mostly a curiosity to see if someone can produce a game or two in the last 3 seasons that the team didn't deserve to win that was clearly won on the back of Price.
The Ottawa game at home this year. The game at New York Rangers where he held us in until we woke up in the third period.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 06:44 AM
pine

vCash: 50
rofl.

The guy is has 3 regulation losses all year, allows on average less than 2 goals a game, and has allowed 1 goal or less in half of his 16 games and yet, here we are.

pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:01 AM
Pricef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
To consider that a goalie has stolen a game, the team in front of him needs to play really bad. But currently, the Habs are playing great in every game, and are winning most of them. So "stealing" a game is just impossible. Even if Price was blanking every opponent and had a GAA of 0,00, it would still be impossible for him to steal a game.

The need to "steal a game" is a sign of mediocrity from the team. We are so used in Montreal to have an average team with a good goaltender that it seems impossible to us to have a good team without a goalie that steals a game once in a while. Good teams don't need their goalie to steal a game. Get used to it!

Fact is that you can reach the Stanley Cup final with Michael Leighton between the pipes if your team is built in a manner that its success doesn't depend solely on the goalie's performance. But if your team is built this way, and your goaler is Carey Price, then you are in business.
Great post. I completely agree.

Pricef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:03 AM
idk

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
I hope you mean "this season", because otherwise check a doctor for memory loss.

Price has, in the past, stolen games for us repeatedly. He just hasn't this season, although I'd make the case he was rock solid at key games.
I think a case could be made for the Feb 3 game against Ottawa. 2-1 victory for Montreal with Carey turning away 32 of 33 shots (and Anderson turning away 30 of 32). His single GA was on the PP. Stellar game otherwise

idk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:17 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Price hasn't had to "steal" a game for us because we haven't been that outplayed with like 40+ shots against in a game this year.

We've had a ton of 1 goal games where he's made huge saves all game to help us win (off the top of my head 1-0 vs Florida, 2-1 vs Ottawa, 3-1 vs NYR (with empty netter) etc. etc). This is how you want to win games, not by allowing over 40 shots and relying on your goalie like Jacques Martin would've had the team doing.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:24 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Bring back Halak!!!!

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:36 AM
Ginu

Price is the #1 goalie in the NHL in even strength save percentage the last three seasons. Yes, even after last year. His mark? .970. Luongo is second.

Source: CBC

/thread

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:36 AM
Craig71

Price is very respected throughout the league and is being considered to be the number one canadian goalie for our olympic team. He must be an ok goalie, no?

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:45 AM
habdynasty

This is the first time in Prices career when he hasn't faces 40+ shots a game. Dryden use to sleep during the games. Lol

habdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:46 AM
Ghetto Sangria
Groupthink

Off the top of my head? The 2nd Ottawa game the habs beat the sens 2 to 1 (all goals scored in the 1st period). They took over 30 shots on price for sure and he shut the door for the last two periods.

Also the 1 nothing shutout win versus Florida??? Remember how **** this team was that game?

These are just this season where the habs seem to play well every game (even the ones they lose).

Ghetto Sangria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:47 AM
sharks9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Price is the #1 goalie in the NHL in even strength save percentage the last three seasons. Yes, even after last year. His mark? .970. Luongo is second.

Source: CBC

/thread
That's not true at all.

2012 -2013: .943
2011 - 2012: .918
2010 - 2011: .931

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:51 AM
Nedved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
Price is very respected throughout the league and is being considered to be the number one canadian goalie for our olympic team. He must be an ok goalie, no?
on this board.

there was an overrated goalie thread, and price's name came up several times. He's an excellent, excellent goalie; however, games against tampa, sens, islanders, for instance, a goalie like broduer would have walked away with w's probably in all, but at least 1/3. we've blown a lot of leads this year where you want to see price make some key saves only for the team to bounce back (something we didn't do last year).

he has weaknesses, for me, on his glove side and breakaways/ shootouts but regardless, his size and positioning make up for it, though. when he is on, he is an incredible goalie who stays healthy. it's his best quality, the man games he can log.

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 08:02 AM
Milhouse40

"Steal a Game"

Well, when he face Tampa in shoutoot (Stamkos, St-Louis and Hedman) and stopped all three of them! But that wasn't game (difficult 3rd period).

Price is a technical goalie....not a reflex goalie!

Most of the time, he is in the right place at the right time cause his technic is one of the best in the league....so he doesn't need to throw himself around to make the "Big Save". Plus he is a big guy, a big plus for a technical goalie.

It's less spectacular....but it's more efficient.

Milhouse40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 08:15 AM
Davebo
beep beep

Carey is the man - no doubt.

That said, these low shot against games seem to affect him. That said, they affect all goalies. If he were to somehow overcome the rust that develops in those games - we'd be frigging unstoppable!

I have no doubt he's working on it. He seems to be improving season by season, technique-wise.

Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 08:26 AM
Help
Help Yourself

vCash: 50
Price steals plenty of games, he just doesn't stand on his head to do it, and as a result a lot of people don't realize just how good he is. Price doesn't stand on his head and force himself to make these acrobatic saves because he rarely as to, his positioning is just that good.

As for the last game he stole: February 3rd, 2013, against Ottawa

Help is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 08:28 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
When you rarely give up second chances it's hard to look like you are stealing a game.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 08:31 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Price's consistency, not only from game to game but from shot to shot is so underrated by people who don't know any better that it's disturbing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebo
That said, these low shot against games seem to affect him. That said, they affect all goalies. If he were to somehow overcome the rust that develops in those games - we'd be frigging unstoppable!
It seems to be like he's either bothered by an injury (possibly tweaked the groin issues from the beginning of the season) or not 100% from the flu. He's looked a little "off", like he's not completely comfortable in the net, for the last few games. Although as you said, it could also be that we're limiting so many shots on this streak that he's having trouble getting into a rhythm.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 08:39 AM
otto bond

I love Price in net and I think he gives us a chance of winning night in night out.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 08:43 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Price is having his best season ever. He's not letting in the weak goals in 1-goal games nearly as often as before. Very encouraging.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 08:48 AM
DenverHabsFan

The other way to look at it is: are there games that we clearly lost because of Price's performance? I can't think of a game where he was as bad as let's say Bryz or Fleury. People complain about his SO stats but it's more because our guys can't put the puck in the net. The game in Ottawa was a perfect example. We had chances to end it but couldn't. Price can't stop 20 shooters waiting for one of our guys to score.

DenverHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 08:49 AM
No Style Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
Remember when people faulted him for never making the necessary save at the right time? Well he does that every game. He's the definition of solid and dependable. Often, when it's not highlight (and in Carey's case, his positioning and size often obviate the need for him to make one), people forget about it. I can point out saves in almost every game when we won where it turned out being a huge difference maker. Take grabovski's penalty shot. He gave him NOTHING. I know he hasn't been facing a lot of shots, but he's been seeing through traffic and no rebounds.

I know what you meant, in that you weren't bashing him, but I like this version of Carey's play the best. He's still our best player most nights. And when the time comes for him to have to make great saves, he'll make them. I remember him making a lot of great pad saves so far this season. Really stretching out to shut the door.

He might have to save us this weekend.
boom, close the thread.

No Style Points is offline   Reply With Quote