SM-Liiga 2012-13 (general talk)

Old
02-28-2013, 10:21 AM
Juzmo
rip

vCash: 6969
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsk92 View Post
The logic in suspensions and discipline is pretty hopeless.

Pikkarainen gets 7 games and no injurry to Huml.
Ruutu gets 4 games and Lehkonen has a concussion.
Yep, and nothing for the duo Keränen-Saarenheimo.

Juzmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:07 PM
Arktos

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsk92 View Post
The logic in suspensions and discipline is pretty hopeless.

Pikkarainen gets 7 games and no injurry to Huml.
Ruutu gets 4 games and Lehkonen has a concussion.
The logic is just fine. Vuorinen I believe said after the Ruutu incident they would give harsher suspensions for hits to the head and that's what they did. From now on people shouldn't compare suspensions to anything before this week.

Arktos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 02:45 PM
Gaps

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juzmo View Post
Yep, and nothing for the duo Keränen-Saarenheimo.
They should've both been suspended. Idiots. But I guess when you don't play for a team from Helsinki and don't hurt anyone too famous, you can get away with more.

Gaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 04:02 PM
JJTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
They should've both been suspended. Idiots. But I guess when you don't play for a team from Helsinki and don't hurt anyone too famous, you can get away with more.
Neither of where hurt on the play so i think liusjärvi thought it would have been pointless to suspend both of them and unfair to suspend only one.

JJTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 04:32 PM
LOFIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjtt View Post
Neither of where hurt on the play so i think liusjärvi thought it would have been pointless to suspend both of them and unfair to suspend only one.
If the "match supervisor" (otteluvalvoja) doesn't think it's worth a match penalty, the case won't enter Liusjärvi's desk. It's stupid, doesn't make sense, but that's the way it is. It's not like in NHL where every match and questionable situation is reviewed after the match.

LOFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 04:19 AM
Finnpin

SM-liiga's board of directors changed Liusjärvi's 0-game verdict to 2 games. I can live with that but still it is a wrong decision... now they give media a chance to write BS again... as 2-games means Nordlund made something wrong and he didn't. With 0-game they would have shut down the media but now I feel the BS just will go on.

Edit. but seriously what can you expect from SM-liiga? Management is full of amateurs and most of them even don't know the rulebook of hockey. Pro league my ass.

And what about the future? players are afraid to hit? as you can get 2-games suspensions from clean hits

Last edited by Finnpin: 03-01-2013 at 04:59 AM.
Finnpin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 04:55 AM
Finnpin

The future of SM-liiga:

Old
03-01-2013, 05:02 AM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOFIN View Post
If the "match supervisor" (otteluvalvoja) doesn't think it's worth a match penalty, the case won't enter Liusjärvi's desk. It's stupid, doesn't make sense, but that's the way it is. It's not like in NHL where every match and questionable situation is reviewed after the match.
The entire system needs to be reviewed. At least the board started by firing the entire disciplinary committee (except for Liusjärvi) and replaced them with two former players and one ex-referee. It's a start.

Quote:
And what about the future? players are afraid to hit? as you can get 2-games suspensions from clean hits
The way I see it, this suspension happened only because 1) the injured player was Ville Peltonen and 2) because it was a Jokerit player who injured him. I think the league feels that the sanctions given to Jokerit after the September 1st incident were not enough and that's the reason Nordlund had to suffer. If they'd handed out stricter punishments when they were actually due, we wouldn't be here now and Nordlund wouldn't be suspended. This is ridiculous.

Old
03-01-2013, 05:26 AM

Unbelievable

Players are already too afraid to fight. Soon they'll be too afraid to hit.
The league is doing good job in taking all the emotion out of the game. ****ing joke

44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 05:34 AM
Juzmo
rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnpin View Post
SM-liiga's board of directors changed Liusjärvi's 0-game verdict to 2 games. I can live with that but still it is a wrong decision... now they give media a chance to write BS again... as 2-games means Nordlund made something wrong and he didn't. With 0-game they would have shut down the media but now I feel the BS just will go on.

Edit. but seriously what can you expect from SM-liiga? Management is full of amateurs and most of them even don't know the rulebook of hockey. Pro league my ass.

Will be interesting to see what will be considered "excessive force" in the future when giving and not giving suspensions.

Old
03-01-2013, 08:19 AM
QnebO

Now we have the new discpline-directors in former good hockey players.. We might even get bare fist fighting back?

Two games for Nordlund isn't the end of the World. Its over soon and we can start from the "clean table" with new directors..

QnebO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 08:40 AM
Finnpin

SM-liiga totally pooped pants in Nordlund case but at least they could do something right by signing Iiro Järvi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post
Now we have the new discpline-directors in former good hockey players.. We might even get bare fist fighting back?
I liked Iiro's comments about fighting. Finally somebody who understands that element. But we'll see...I hope they can stay independent with their decisions and "puppet masters" stay out...

Old
03-01-2013, 08:49 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Running out of expletives here. And since I speak Finnish, I thought I knew a whole lot of 'em.

The new disciplinary managers won't help a thing if the league management will keep walking over them whenever they see a headline that makes 'em wet their pants.

What's even more ridiculous is that media is almost univocally shooting down this decision and calling it a joke - even those papers that have all week pulled juicy headlines about injuries to spark cheap emotion. Talk about hypocrisy.

FiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 08:59 AM
Finnpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post
What's even more ridiculous is that media is almost univocally shooting down this decision and calling it a joke - even those papers that have all week pulled juicy headlines about injuries to spark cheap emotion. Talk about hypocrisy.
That's why 0-game would have been the best verdict...it would have said straight that it was clean hit and media should shut the hell up as they clearly don't know much about the game but with that 2-games they leave the door more open for criticism.

SM-liiga is "amateur league" pretending to be a pro. I really hope Veikkausliiga for example would steal "markets" from SM-liiga even though I don't like football/soccer that much.

Old
03-01-2013, 09:35 AM
LOFIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnpin View Post

SM-liiga is "amateur league" pretending to be a pro. I really hope Veikkausliiga for example would steal "markets" from SM-liiga even though I don't like football/soccer that much.
Even though I'd love to see Veikkausliiga get more attention and better attendance, Finnish football association and Veikkausliiga aren't really that much more professional than SM-Liiga from what I've witnessed over time...

Old
03-01-2013, 02:46 PM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

Rendulic scored again

ficohok* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 03:08 PM
Arktos

Good to see players and fans all around the league coming together in this situation. Was watching the HPK-Pelicans game earlier and heard the Pelicans fans chanting "SM-liiga is a joke" or something along those lines.

Old
03-02-2013, 01:03 PM
Juzmo
rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktos View Post
Good to see players and fans all around the league coming together in this situation. Was watching the HPK-Pelicans game earlier and heard the Pelicans fans chanting "SM-liiga is a joke" or something along those lines.
TPS - Tappara (strong language):

https://twitter.com/ellenaleksandra/...352192/photo/1 = "Stop ruining the sport SM-liiga" (loose translation)

HIFK - Lukko:

"SM-Liiga! The killer of ice hockey!"

Ässät - Jokerit:

"SM-Liiga! The killer of ice hockey!"

Edit. Also were some nice big signs with "R.I.P. - Ice Hockey" and "Resign Vuorinen" (the CEO of SM-liiga, Jukka-Pekka Vuorinen)

Pelicans - JYP:

JYP-fans: "SM-liiga"
Pelicans-fans: "Is a joke"

Ilves - HPK:

"SM-liiga, screw you!"

Also from Iltalehti: http://www.iltalehti.fi/smliiga/2013...39692_sm.shtml

"Busy day for the administration - 13 hits in Helsinki in the first period"

...oh yeah and the 13th straight win for Ässät was nice also.

Last edited by Juzmo: 03-02-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Old
03-02-2013, 02:29 PM
Finnsane
Feed the population

Yeah, Tommi Välimaa from Ilves got ejected for this brutal hit http://www.nelonenpro.fi/j%C3%A4%C3%...a/media/517440

Finnsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:36 PM
Gaps

Apparently security removed some of the anti-league banners from the fans in the TPS-Tappara game. Kind of like them confiscating the anti-Kale banners in the WHC last spring because "they were too big".

Old
03-02-2013, 03:02 PM
Juzmo
rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnsane View Post
Yeah, Tommi Välimaa from Ilves got ejected for this brutal hit http://www.nelonenpro.fi/j%C3%A4%C3%...a/media/517440
0:42 ->

Absolutely disgusting hit. No need for such violence. Won't someone please think of the children?!

Oh, and Jordan Henry didn't get anything from that hit at 0:09 on Jyrki Jokipakka in the game. Hopefully will get at least something eventually, but I'm not sure if I should hold my breath on that.

Old
03-02-2013, 03:20 PM
Arktos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juzmo View Post
0:42 ->
Haha if you go by new SM-liiga policy that's a hit to the head and at least 2 games of suspension for boarding
What a ****ing joke...

Old
03-02-2013, 03:21 PM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

Borna Rendulic scored again today. Now he is 8+4. Great !

ficohok* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 03:38 PM
LOFIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
Apparently security removed some of the anti-league banners from the fans in the TPS-Tappara game. Kind of like them confiscating the anti-Kale banners in the WHC last spring because "they were too big".
Same thing happened to Lukko supporters as well if I've understood.

Old
03-02-2013, 04:25 PM
Jokerit Wasp

Man, when i was living in Finland first time around in 2002 there wasnt an awful lot of physical stuff, but by the sounds (and looks) of it, the league has been totally ruined. As somebody said, if that hit is a match pen, then players soon won't dare hit. SM-Liiga is quickly going to see attendances decrease even more.

Jokerit Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote